Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Midjack posted:

A number of people are buying avs and stuff at a higher rate due to the forum's dire financials.

Buying avs is cool and good and people should do it more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guys there was more than one Mario Party on the N64 you can't just say "since the N64 one" BE SPECIFIC THESE THINGS MATTER

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

People were talking about Tim Rogers a couple pages ago. I just wanted to link to my favorite Tim Rogers piece from a billion years ago (2002). It's about Animal Crossing. Enjoy. http://archives.insertcredit.com/features/animal/day1.html

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Having read the Tim Rogers Animal Crossing article I was surprised to find out it was released in Japan for the 64?

I enjoy the whole article, but the part that really sticks with me is the bit about Mario 64 just being fun to play. You don't need a bunch of game mechanics, todo lists, achievements, whatever. You can spend an hour just loving around outside the castle and it is a joy. I think about that passage a lot when I'm playing games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Heath posted:

I'm gonna talk about mufuckin' Penguin Wars for a minute because it's a mystery to me what's going on with it.

I played the poo poo out of this game on road trips as a kid. My sister had a gameboy and a copy, too, so we did a ton of battles over the link cable. IIRC the mouse was super OP, you either played as him or lost when the CPU got him. I think you could only strike him when he was throwing a ball, otherwise his face was below the table so you couldn't hit him.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I feel like anyone who enjoys video game stories has never read a book. Like RDR2? Larry McMurtry will blow your loving mind.

E: And you don't have to waste your life combing a fake horse, or whatever poo poo excuse for gameplay they cram in there, to experience the story.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 1, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

HenryEx posted:

I fell into the Smash trap, started the adventure mode and enjoyed some easy but fun button-mashing fights (I haven't played Smash Bros. in 15 years), took a turn left after unlocking Mario or whatever, fought through three or four more interesting fights (i liked the "smash 4 warios at once" one), saw a chest on the map and promptly rain right into the brickwall in front of it.
I've now been wiping to Olimar for upwards of an hour and there's no sign of progress. He seemingly at random can just belt out incredible smash attacks hitting me for 20%+ damage, and smashing me off the area without recourse anytime at 25% total damage. There's that helpful timer in the upper right corner too to let me know that half of my fights routinely end in sub-20 seconds, even after i stopped falling off the platform on my own.

what the gently caress is this poo poo, why can he power-smash me off the stage in nothing but literally three hits total while constantly eating himself back to 0% damage

If you haven't, go flip through the Help menu. There's lots of little, non-obvious things you can do that aren't really taught outside of there.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hi thread, important question here.

What is the correct way to respond to someone who says "pokey-mon"?

Thank you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ponzicar posted:

How else are you supposed to say it?

Looper posted:

that's how you say it

I am shaking with rage right now

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I also had to spend a moment evaluating my lifestyle choices when I cleaned out my garage a bit and moved some things to under-the-bed storage:

I forgot how much I used to spend at Gamestop way back when.

At least I know what my retirement plan is.

FWIW if you're serious about selling these, now's pretty much the best time to be doing it. NES, SNES, and N64 prices have more or less plateaued. GCN probably has some room to grow, but they're nearing the peak. Prices are only going to go downhill as the people who grew up with each of those systems have kids, get bored of collecting them, and then look to sell their own collections.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I thought I was too lazy to sell them and part of why I packed everything under the bed was because we'll be moving in some cats in the near future and that bed frame would be impossible to pull them out from under.

But I also did not realize Bubble Bobble 2 went for > $200.

I'm sore all over today. Gonna browse those lists you posted, might be Real Sore tomorrow.

Edit: Whew. That was the only one of any significant value. My back is safe. (My retirement not so much.)

If you decide to sell a few games, I had a great experience offloading a bunch of games on NintendoAge. They're mostly interested in boxed stuff, but you can sell loose carts, memorabilia and whatnot, too. Someone bought an empty NES controller box from me. Do eBay price research (Sold Items only!) and set reasonable prices and stick to them. What didn't sell there after a few months, I moved to eBay. SA Mart is too small an audience for collectibles.

It's impossible to predict how a market will go, but old video games are hot right now, and you don't want to Beanie Baby yourself by waiting for it to get hotter.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 30, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

oh hey I went ahead and started a new match while you were in the bathroom. no, no, I didn't start playing yet. [friend moves and entire cave explodes]

Holy poo poo I'm 10 years old again.

The best trick with proxy mines was throwing them on an ammo crate and picking it up and running before it activated. The mine is still active at that spot, but it's invisible until the crate respawns.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've played a poo poo load of MK8 online, it's great. I'm at around 6000 ranked points. The single player mode is fine, it'll take a while to beat all four championship difficulties. It's a fine way to master the tracks.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I have been trying to get better at Lumines this week, actually. I've been stuck on mission 13 for over an hour. Mission 13 is classified as Easy :( I've never been good at puzzle games though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Licarn posted:

Remember that clicking this will doom your youtube recommendations to hell for all eternity.

If you dig around in the YouTube settings you can remove specific videos from the recommendation algorithm.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Golf Story any good? Does it use motion controls? Is there a better golf game?

It's all right, not great. If you're looking for a "golf game," definitely give it a pass. It's trivially easy and has a very low skill ceiling. It doesn't even have hills.

I don't have a strong suggestion. Neo Turf is good, but kind of light on content and outdated in its presentation imo. The arcade focused gameplay feels weird on a home console game. Still, it's a good golf game, and I'd recommend it over Golf Story if you want a golf game.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I never understand people who complain about Nintendo game prices. Buy used. You can get BOTW for $40+5 shipping. You just got the game 25% off. If you want a further discount, you can resell it for $40+5 shipping. You just played a first party Nintendo game at a more than 90% discount. If you really want to play it again in the future, you can buy it a few years down the road even cheaper (you won't, have you seen how many games are coming out?). I know, digital, blah blah blah, but the option for cheap Nintendo games is there.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe I'm an old man shouting at clouds but I find the vast majority of AAA games dull and unfun because any attempts at writing actual stories or being gritty and serious come unstuck because ultimately they're still written by manchildren, and the gameplay itself is way back on the priorities list behind graphics, presentation and monetisation of DLC/microtransactions

Which is why I'm posting in the Nintendo thread I suppose

Video games are the worst storytelling medium. When telling a story, the author(s) must be in control of the audience's perspective, as in the narrator of a book, or the cinematographer of a movie. Video games are by design the opposite of that, the audience controls the perspective. This is an unsolvable conflict. You can see that even today, games either take control back from the player (cutscenes) or stick the player in a tiny box while what is effectively a radio drama plays out (RDR, Half Life, etc) since the author doesn't know where the player will be looking.

Video games suuuuuck at storytelling. I think these games are popular because the audience for movies and TV is much bigger than the audience for video games. That huge audience overlaps with the audience for games, so the games that are basically just badly told, B-tier movies where you control the camera sometimes outsell games that actually have good, thoughtful gameplay by a huge margin.

What's annoying is how frequently this junk wins GOTY and other rewards. They're just bad attempts at emulating movies, people. Video games as a medium should not be rewarded for doing a bad job at something other mediums do way better.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I recently got a switch.

I have beat Mario Odyssy and then BotW.

What game should I get next? The mega mans?

Share with me your gamer wisdom my friends.

Hollow Knight

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are literally too many games. Holy poo poo. I never thought I would say this, but there are too many games on the Switch

Luckily SMM2 will come out soonish, making all other games redundant.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Important question, does it require motion controls?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

God drat this horny thread.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

It looks like Blossom Tales is on sale this week. How is that? It looked very Link to the Past-ish.

IMO very worth playing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

anyone got any recommendations for old game ports on the eshop? I'm gonna get the Capcom beat'em up but anything else in that vein is cool too. I don't have a lot of nostalgia so just stuff that holds up well.

Also chill indies that I can play whenever are good too, stuff without a big time commitment.

As for old games, the Megaman legacy collection games are excellent if you like Megaman. The SNK archive is cool if you're an old game nerd, but if you want games that hold up well, I can't recommend it. Have you checked out the NES games that come with the online sub? There's some good stuff in there, major NES classics and some interesting lesser known titles. There's a ton of NeoGeo titles, but I haven't played them, so can't give a recommend. The Sonic 1 port is very well done, but, well, it's Sonic 1.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pilotwings 64 when?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I bought a Vive on day one. VR is the new 3D TV. The fad will die in a couple years, it's arguably dead already. Don't waste your money.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah yes, the fad that is *checks notes* readily being adopted by various industries for training and design purposes, has companies pouring millions into research and development to improve it, and in a few months is going to have several hotly-anticipated new consumer headsets from two major companies release, including one headset that is a standalone console with PCVR titles on it. Nevermind that VR headset purchases have steadily been increasing over time rather than plateauing.

Truly, a dead industry.

I could be wrong. I've definitely been wrong in the past. But this just smells exactly like 3d tvs. It's cumbersome, expensive, and impractical, and doesn't really add much more than a gimmick. There's nothing you can do in VR that you can't do about as well on a flat display, without hundreds of dollars of gear and a big sweaty pair of goggles on your face. VR's been around for years and there has really not been a killer app. Once the gimmick wears off, the headsets collect dust. I was really excited by the marketing hype, hence the Vive purchase, but was really let down by the software and haven't seen or heard of anything to change my mind. I deal with VR games at work, by the way, so it's not like I don't keep up with it.

BTW dripping sarcasm is *checks notes* a really dumb and immature way to have a discussion. Ease up, holms, it's OK for people to disagree. Even on the internet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Beastie posted:

PSVR sold like loving gang busters last holiday season. Fuckloads of people got on the $200 AAA vr experience.

PSVR has an attach rate of roughly half the Sega CD did to the Genesis. Different scales, yes, but in absolute numbers it's only about twice as many sold as the Sega CD.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/putting-sonys-4-2-million-psvr-sales-in-context/

And yes, selling well is the nature of fads. The question at hand is whether it will continue to grow or die off.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I refuse to play VR Labo unless there’s an option to make all the colors red and black, like God intended for VR.

If you aren't, you should be watching Jeremy Parish's Virtual Boy Works series on YouTube.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around for getting new games all the time, especially when they're like $80 CDN (:negative:)

Buy used and resell when you're done. Especially first party Nintendo games hold their value, so you end up basically playing the game for the price of shipping.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There's a thousand interesting, fun, and varied games to play, don't waste your life on loving Diablo 3 and Skyrim.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Well you see it's really hard to port a game that consists primarily of still images because

most programmers are poo poo.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Imagined posted:

This is a thread where people claim to not recognize Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans, people who've been in dozens of the biggest movies of the last decade, after all.

Are they the people in that Gameboy picture going around?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

People in this thread not able to remember the names of the world's biggest actors but can probably name all 5000 Pokemon by heart, in sequential order is mental enough in itself, but someone thinks that Metroid is a big series takes the fuckin' cake.

Is it really inconceivable to you that there are people who just don't watch movies?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

indigi posted:

no but it’s kind of inconceivable that there are people who don’t watch movies or tv, look at magazines, read the news, or look at memes

Hi.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Everyone stop self melt owning and discuss MK8DX DLC track ideas.

Pokémon's bike-only road

Escape from Zebes ralley stage

That cool looking Starry Night stage from NSMBUDX.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There’s some stuff that feels like it’s just unavoidable to not know about even if you’ve never watched it. I never watched twilight but I somehow know the entire story and also that Kirsten Stewart is the main actress and dated her costar

I am not American and don’t watch sports but I’ve heard of tom Brady enough to figure out he’s important ball throw man

My parents never watched game of thrones and are aware it’s coming back soon and that the main character is Jon Snow, who is coming

It's not that hard. I just spend my time on other things. I'm not saying this makes me better than others, or even that it's a good thing (makes first dates awkward lol). Just saying people who don't know anything about pop culture exist. We're not pretending not to recognize the people in the Gameboy photo for Internet cool guy points. It's just not in my sphere of knowledge.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Out of curiosity have you ever heard of Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks or The Rock?

Yes, though I don't think I've seen anything with The Rock in it. I could identify Tom Hanks on sight, probably The Rock, and I have no idea what Spielberg looks like.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GreenNight posted:

They're remaking a GameBoy game for the Switch so it tangentially is topical.

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game, modernizing it is going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I hope they include an option in Link's Awakening to turn on the unskippable dialog boxes every time you accidentally brush up against a boulder without the arm band equipped, so Real Gamers can play the game as it was Meant to be Played.