Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Did Order 66 extend to Maul? The execution order seemed vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dave Syndrome posted:

Oops, you're right. Supreme Chancellor Palpatine then. Anyway, the clones knowing about the Sith is an extremely weird turn. With that many Star Wars nerds working on the show, I don't think it's an oversight.

I'm watching Revenge of the Sith right now and a couple of the clones immediately jump to YES MY LORD so it might be baked in the chip somewhere.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never liked the idea of stormtroopers being conscription rabble of brainwashed kidnap victims. Conscripts, ne'er-do-wells, guys without other options, and the patriotic should make up the vast body of gray armored infantry like Han Solo. Stormtroopers should have been the guys In It to Win It Waffen SS types.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

We don't know 100% it was Stormtroopers. Could've actually been Sand People. Could've been a murder-suicide.

I firmly believe Obi-Wan set them on fire before he used his contacts with the Sand People to ambush Luke and set the ball rolling.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

R2 rigged the moisture vaporators to combust before he fled the farm. He was given these directions way back at Obi-Wan and Yoda’s summit on the Tantive IV when Luke was an infant. Obi-Wan executed his own little Order 66.

The stormtroopers would have reported back that they tracked the droids to the Lars homestead and that the droids were not there because their nephew Luke was out looking for them himself.

Vader would have received this update and, being not a moron, remembered that he was spent an interesting weekend there. Wait, hang on, their nephew? Who the hell is that? He checks it out and...Luke Skywalker what the hell?

Obviously, Obi-Wan knew this loose end had to be tied up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I assumed Rangers, like, special forces.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

galagazombie posted:

Wait wasn't Bib Fortuna vaporized on the Sail Barge when it exploded? I know at this point death has become a minor inconvenience to Star Wars but it was kinda jarring for the show to be like "Bib Fortuna's back baby!" and then kill him again in the span of five seconds with no comment. Hell what did Fett even have against him?

I went back to see when he's last around in ROTJ and he disappears, along with almost everyone else. When Leia starts strangling Jabba, you can see people literally running for the door behind him. Guess Bib jumped out with all the other hangers-on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

On a scale of 1 to George Clinton, how high are you

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Moff is an extremely underused title. How many decades did we go with literally no new Moffs?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He's old and leathery from a tough life.

There's plenty of "here's a picture of my grandpa as a fresh faced teenager when he got drafted in 1941" and "here he is when he came home from the Pacific in 1946 and looks like he's made out of an old catcher's mitt."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So how long has that one guy been a deserter (or whatever) there on Farm Planet? He's got a family and stuff.

I'll contend for the rest of my life that they should have made the Clone Wars at least a decade long, so that they have time to make more stories work over a long war instead of cramming stuff into two years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I did like seeing naval infantry Han getting blasted through mud-hell instead of HOT SHOT FIGHTER CADET WOOOOOO

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just pretend that Thrawn really likes art and makes all sorts of observations, then finds a way to shoehorn them in to tactical and strategic assessments he's already made. All a parlor trick to cultivate a mystique.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Does he? DOES HE?

Maybe he just scratched off Imperial on his business cards and wrote New Republic on them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Palpatine is significantly more competent than IRL fascists.

I'm fairly confident Hitler would have succeeded if he too had been a magic space wizard

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mandrel posted:

somehow, Hitler returned

That's basically the premise of Look Who's Back

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It also fits into some of the ancient lore that went unused. Back in the pre-ESB production days, Cloud City was intended to be a reservation of sorts for obsolete clone soldiers from the war, Lando being one of them.

It also fits with some of the real world influences that informed what the Empire is. Just like discharged Roman soldiers, you've got a "civilian" body ready made to use as a colonization force in the Outer Rim.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mandrel posted:

the question is who’s the Joruus C’baoth character

Grogu.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1) Kylo Ren goes to complete his training at the end of TFA, turns out it was Palpatine all along.
2) Leia dies when the her ship is hit, Holdo takes over the leadership role. Rey goes with Kylo Ren to become evil.

I can't figure out how to fix TROS in one or two sentences.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe something like Finn makes the argument that no one is beyond help and loving Anakin Skywalker shows up to point out that no one thought he could be saved.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

It's a Tartakovsky series so yeah there are extended silent sections.

The one where Mace Windu obliterates an entire army while flying around Matrix style would have been ruined with anyone saying anything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Which is kinda weird, given that he literally makes a speech while all melty faced in the Senate for public consumption

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It doesn't make sense because it requires everyone, literally everyone, to have a goldfish memory. It would be like trying to claim that Obama gave the 2010 State of the Union wearing a rainbow afro wig. This isn't some century ago event that few people actually witnessed. Kids would be saying SCAAAAARRED AND DEFORMED to each other as space memes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I preferred the nascent early 80s version of the Emperor that was hands-off and secluded because he was being a wizard hermit studying how to be even more evil, while the Moffs and Powerful Industrial Interests ran the Empire day-to-day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'll always be a little disappointed that the Yoda Emperor fight wasn't some sort of insane wizard battle instead of devolving to a sword fight

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

With the interaction between living creatures and the Force, it wouldn't be surprising if cloning requires a living source for some reason

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robot Style posted:

It's also worth considering what Filoni's 2013 ideas would have looked like. He was a Star Wars fan, but he was also a Star Wars fan. Wiping the slate clean wasn't a guarantee at that point, and although Clone Wars toed the line on continuity sometimes, Filoni is the guy who's leading the charge on incorporating elements from the EU. There's a chance that his version of the sequels would have featured Bug Orgies, or BDSM aliens dropping a moon on Chewie.

Honestly, going full off of the EU might have been a good decision. If whoever had tried to just scrape whatever they could and duct tape it together, you might have ended up with some sort of Heir to the Empire-Dark Empire merger which isn't as fun as it sounds at first.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You know you're middle-aged when you immediately think about how hard it would be to piss.

Back in high school, we had a senior tradition of dressing up for Halloween that my school took pretty seriously. My mom, who is a talented seamstress, was enlisted to help me make a Jedi costume based on Qui-Gon Jinn's outfit. I don't know what fabric she made that robe out of, but it looked perfect. I learned three things that day:

Those robes are heavy.
Jedi cannot go up and down stairs.
Jedi need someone to hold their robe outside of the bathroom

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Veotax posted:

Isn't the Tarkin Doctrine's whole thing overwhelming force? Makes sense he would love a moon-sized, mobile station with a main gun that can blow up planets.

But it isn't like you needed or wanted any other data that was stored in there.

The Death Star can only be in one place at one time and does one thing. It isn't like the US invented the atomic bomb, then casually destroyed the National Archives and Los Alamos. You had other special projects at work. Like... I don't know, a cloaking device that actually works or faster hyperdrives or whatever else Imperial DARPA is working on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There wasn't even a reason to assume it was anything more than an assignment number either. How many different aircraft, with their own tail number and serial number, operated as United 66 or Air France 421.

TK-42X could have just been whoever was on duty in that specific docking bay.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anita Dickinme posted:

You wouldn't thank your seat beat every time you get in your car afterwards? :confused:

I have a fear of flying and I have a superstition I use to help myself cope. When I board a plane, I pat it on the fuselage right beside the door and say "hello airplane," like you would pat a horse you're about to get on. Then, when we're getting off the plane, I pat the plane again and say "thank you airplane." As long as I greet and thank the airplane, it will get me there safely.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Madurai posted:

Luke gets to achieve apotheosis with the Force and go out like Obi-Wan. Don't keep trying to take that away from him.

One little tweak would have changed everything. Instead of having Luke fall over like he's exhausted, it should have been portrayed that he had reached such a level of power that he shed his physical form. The whole "luminous beings" thing that Yoda speaks of.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was always a little disappointed that Obi-Wan desert hermit robes became Jedi uniform, instead of it turning out the Luke's blacks were their look.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

You're going to have a bad time, then. All of these are more anime than Star Wars.

They're all good, though, even the ones that are just okay.

I had a really rough time because of this and actually dozed off at one point. Definitely not for me, but whatever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is it weird that I sort of liked the Gemini Star Destroyer as a precursor to the TROS ones with the underslung superlaser?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At this rate, the only Jedi that died by Order 66 will be the ones that died on screen in ROTS.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

One of the most exciting dogfight sequences is the final battle in Top Gun and like half of that is CIC listening to guys yelling and Tom Cruise waiting to launch.

If Top Gun can build tension better than you, you're bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

I never understood why the New Republic capital wasn't Coruscant to begin with. I bet the thought process just boiled down to "well blowing up Coruscant would be going a bit far wouldn't it", and, well, I mean

I'm sure if you went back 200 hundred years ago and told people that there was a European union and asked them where the capital was... Brussels wouldn't be their first, second, third, fourth, or fifth guess.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

It's only been some 30 years since the fall of the Empire, while up to that point Coruscant had been the galactic capital for millennia. There's really no comparison to Brussel emerging as the de facto EU capital in the course of the 20th century.

More that you don't have to pick the obvious choice or that you might have other factors driving your choice that isn't obvious to the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

It definitely has legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd39daKZCI8

Mando's 7 Samurai episode was better than the Clone Wars 7 Samurai episode. Sorry folks but Embo is lame.
Yowza that thing is freaky looking when you can see all of it