Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arcsquad12 posted:

Being a self serving rear end in a top hat character is right in Katee Sackhoff's wheelhouse.

I just finished “Another Life” on Netflix and you’re right. “Another Life” was more than a little dumb, but Sackhoff was very good in it. She honestly is a talented actor and could carry Bo-Katan spin-off if Disney so chose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

General Dog posted:

Rex is probably like 90 in clone years by now

But then again Clone Wars character aging is all over the map. Bo-Katan should be in her early 50s (at least) but looks 40, and Boba Fett should be about 40 but looks about 60.

I chalk Bo-Katan up to being very fit, good breeding (literally royalty), and very little sun damage from all the helmet wearing.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Teek posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of crazy. Fennec is the same way, she’s supposed to be in her late 50s and she looks to be in her 40s. Sheesh.

But seriously, some people are treated by age better than others. Poor Luke and Leia, Sequel trilogy really should have been set a further ten years later.

Ming-Na Wen is actually 57. She's just incredibly fit and takes good care of her skin. She actually looks even younger in real life.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LionArcher posted:

If you really want to look good as you age an hour of working out a day a gallon of water a balanced diet and basically no drinking.

Yes, I know the secret to living a long life is living a life not worth living.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

VinylonUnderground posted:

Do you think they'll make Boba an incel again?

Not if any Fennec has anything to say about it. She was mirin’ Boba hard at the end of after credits scene.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Scratch a scifi author and a pervert bleeds.

It's not like scifi authors, especially authors of established properties phoning it in for a paycheck, are subtle about their deep sex weirdness.

By that logic, I should be a prolific sci-if author.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Smoke some meth and start typing one handed. See what happens. You might just have it in you.

I have more than once considered writing god awful but specific fetish erotica for Amazon self-publishing. I desperately need a second source of income.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Xelkelvos posted:

So what's the guesses on Omega's purpose as a modified clone?

I guessing she’s either an unaltered except female version of Jango or a prototype for a next generation ARC trooper. The R&D department was just like “what if estrogen is scarier than testosterone?”.

Oh, wait, oh poo poo, this just occurred to me: is Omega the same age as Boba at this time? What if the Kaminoans made a female twin of Boba when Jango ordered him? Trying to oversell him or some poo poo?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

bunnyofdoom posted:

Where did he get his gun?

I always thought it was lovely that Rey didn’t get Han’s DL-44 blaster. It was an iconic item and would have been a bridge between the generations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

People were already pissed she got Anakins/Lukes lightsaber. They would have been absolutely seething if she also had Hans gun.

I just wish it had been passed on to somebody. Han’s blaster and his gun belt were visually iconic.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
So, it is implied that Omega is not a Jango Fett clone during the Kaminoians’ private conversation. So, who is the blonde donor lady for Omega’s production run? Duchess Satine? Bo-Katan? Oh, wait, it’s obvious…

…it’s Mephisto, of course.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

Despite the poo poo he does in it, that last episode made me feel REALLY lovely for Crosshair.

Like, really lovely for him.

I hope he gets to redeem himself at some point before it's all over, undoubtedly at the cost of his own life I'm assuming because ugh. What the Empire did to him is loving terrible.

He’s basically been Winter Soldier-ed. Brain zapper and all.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Bismuth posted:

I was going to say Kanan doesnt count because he sucks, but I guess not all surrogate dads can be good

That’s a very strange idiom for “a better Jedi than Yoda”.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Madurai posted:

Is that what kids want? To see other kids? It's been a while, but I don't remember that being a big motivator for me as a child.

We were unhappy turbonerd children, weren’t we? We couldn’t even identify with other children.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Cage Kicker posted:

I want to have the kind of brain worms that makes me not enjoy a child's animation program because of stylistic choices like what kind of weapon the kid has "well it would be easier for her to use a blaster" well if we go with only "logical" conclusions the show will be boring as gently caress like star trek tng

You really want one of these guys to spit in your ear?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sammus posted:

I'm in the "It's Awesome" camp, Star Wars needs more alien weapons. I'd be loving terrified if a 5 year old with a bow too big for her to hold had it pointed at me.

Don’t come to Kentucky, then.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Omega’s optimized clone “super-power” is having high emotional intelligence. Considering the Kaminoians ostensibly engineered her for military applications…that’s got some sinister applications.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that was a great episode. Just cool poo poo all around, even though it didn't feature the Dad Batch that much.

We need a few episodes where Omega gets to display her innate Fett disposition to independence and aggression. I still say that her high emotional intelligence is her ‘super power’, though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Filoni is known for deep cuts from the Old EU. The “Jango Fett: Open Seasons” comic mini-series, Jango’s sister and mother were blonde. So, we’ll see.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
With all these cameos, I wonder if the Bad Batch will run into Little Din and his adoptive Mandalorian father.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

It…it rhymes.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Frankie Adams in Mandalorian armor would break the internet.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

A good way to go TBH.

I don’t know what is wrong with my brain, but Frankie Adams is hot as gently caress in that head to toe space marine armor.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Absolutely nothing is wrong with your brain and anyone who tells you there is something wrong is a filthy liar :colbert:

I’d post a pic for reference, but I can only find them on Pinterest. Fuckin’ Pinterest.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Very satisfying episode. I love this series. When they showed up in the final season of TCW, I was very underwhelmed by the characters, but I am now completely invested in the Bad Batch.

Also, random thought Do you think there is any significance to the cooked side of Crosshair’s head also being the side the biochip is on?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Hey I was kinda right about The scars Crosshair’s head and his inhibitor chip. Somebody owes me a Coke.

We still don’t know what the big deal was with that secret cloning lab. Omega almost seemed ashamed to be there. “This is where you were actually created” is big-dark-secret-y enough. Also…did I hear Omega wrong? She said she was present when they were decanted? Omega is older than the Dad Batch?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Cheesus posted:

Well Boba was also Jango's "child" so it's not like they could have counted on using Boba for future clones.

Still, I'm curious as to why she's female and not male. I'm hoping it's not pseudo-scientific like "females carry genetic material better than males".

I'd be ok in the SW universe for Nala Se to explain that when she was attempting to create the unaltered Jango clone, she unexpectedly got both sexes and couldn't understand/explain why, maybe even in the same way Shmi recounted conceiving of Anakin (poetry!). Implying that the Force was involved in her creation, but by not making her or Boba "Force sensitive". It would be a different perspective and more universal demonstration of the Force's role in the SW universe beyond what we've up to this point seen as "LOL, Force only gets involved to make Jedi-types". Nala Se and the Kaminoans could have determined a "use" for her after the fact, but the Force has an idea of how she may be of use to provide a "balance" for all of the used and abandoned living sentient beings known as clones.

This entire season we’ve seen Omega, a preteen, operate a pretty high level of competence. She everything you would want from a 1:1 Jango Fett clone: intelligent, excellent hand-eye coordination, ability to adapt and strategize in stressful situations, and a fight or flight instinct that favors fight. She also has two valuable traits that baseline Jango doesn’t: high emotional intelligence and a natural ability to lead. Jango was a ‘lone wolf’ sociopath and his male clones had to altered to make them good team mates. She may not have Jango’s innate aggression, but a platoon of 18 year old Omegas with combat training would be a helluva force multiplier on the battlefield.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m glad I’m not the only point at the screen during the finale and said, “that’s Mount Tantis”. Filoni has be slowly bring back elements of old school EU since Rebels. In one of the first episodes, the phrase “Base Delta Zero” was mentioned in a news broadcast and I blurted “one of the writers has the WEG RPG sourcebooks!”

Was bringing the Witches of Dathomir back also a Filoni thing? Surely Filoni would have brought back symbolic phallus wrestling, too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

jassa posted:

They've been incorporating elements of the EU into the main canon since Clone Wars. Back then it was mostly Filoni & others running it by George and getting the nod from him. All of those got rolled into the Disney canon, and from what I understand Filoni and the other writers have continued that trend ever since. I think now instead of George there's a committee or group of people who have final say about what can/can't be made Disney canon.

Oh, and Filoni definitely has the WEG sourcebooks, he was gifted them by Sam Witwer.

For those of you who aren't TurboNerds: the WEG Star Wars RPG from the 80s is pretty much the genesis of the EU. West End Games got the license, but had absolutely no 'lore bible' from except from what was on screen and the few books that had been written at that point. George didn't name all the alien species we see in the background. He didn't give a gently caress. So, WEG had to make up species names like Twi'lek and Trandoshan and then give them cultural attributes so that they could be used as player characters. Hell, crap like 'pedwalk' and 'duracrete' comes from WEG. When Timonthy Zahn was contracted to write his trilogy he asked for a lore bible (so he could get down to plot and not have to do all the heavy lifting of world building) and the Lucas Arts team just shrugged him and gave him a stack of WEG sourcebooks. After the Trilogy was a big hit, WEG made source books for that with input from Zahn...and thus the golden age of EU circlejerking was born.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Anita Dickinme posted:

I thought I was a turbo nerd but I am cursed by my age. I missed out on this being born in the 90’s. :(

Most of the books can be found online in one form
or another. WEG even did a release of the 1st Edition, recently. They are really interesting view into that weird and wacky time between the OT and PT when fans were hungry for content and pretty much anything could be ‘canon’ as long as Lucas Arts didn’t say no. It was a very special time in Star Wars fandom.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've seen some people complaining about the clones of the Bad Batch being a little less brown than Temuera Morrison, but while I'll admit that Echo and Crosshair are noticeably paler (and god only knows what's going on with Omega's phenotype), I think it's too close to really tell. Especially when there's not any "standard white" skintones onscreen to compare with. They all still got New Zealand-ish accents, and they hired a genuine New Zealander to play Omega.

It's dumb.

In the "Jango Fett: Open Season" comic miniseries, we see Jango Fett's sister and mother, who are blondes. Technically no longer canon, but this is Filoni we're talking about. Also, they're space people, who the gently caress knows what recessive genes they have. Also, you'd be pale, too, if you lived your life in an enclosed training facility and wore a helmet all the time.

While I am loathe to bring real world justification to Star Wars, the natives of the Solomon Islands have naturally occurring blonde hair that is linked to a totally different gene than that if Caucasians. Human genetic diversity is super cool.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jet Jaguar posted:

Were the Han Solo novels based on the West End Games books or did they predate those? I love the poo poo out of those books, Han and Chewie up against the Corporate Sector Authority, never quite getting that big score.

Though at one point Han does blow a building almost into orbit, which totally seems like a thing he would do. Anyway, Bollux and Blue Max are among the great Star Wars droids for me, keep hoping they’ll make it into a show somehow.

From some minor Googling, it looks like the Han Solo novels came out from 1979 to '80. The omnibus of the novels came out in '92, which prompted WEG to publish "Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook" in '93.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-6h50Y3q8

Not to harp on Filoni too much but it's really hard not to read a frenzied backpedaling in "fundamentally, Star Wars should make you feel good"

I get what you’re saying, but Star Wars should be about making you feel good, about the good guy winning even in the face of overwhelming odds. That’s its lane. I voraciously consume cynical, existentially troubling content as much as the next aging millennial and absolutely poo poo on forced earnestness and schmaltz, but Star Wars should be about making you feel good about being good and believe in doing the right thing. Which is why it is so aggravating when done poorly.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sash! posted:

One little tweak would have changed everything. Instead of having Luke fall over like he's exhausted, it should have been portrayed that he had reached such a level of power that he shed his physical form. The whole "luminous beings" thing that Yoda speaks of.

I still want a scene of older Luke strolling down a corridor, casually and bloodlessly using Mind Trick to put stormtroopers to sleep. That would be a lovely mirror image to Vader’s corridor rampage at the End of Rogue One.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
NASA has done some think tank work on putting floating cities in the upper atmosphere of Venus. https://sacd.larc.nasa.gov/smab/havoc/

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Soonmot posted:

watching in english with english subtitles

fite me

I already do this, but I am 40 and have damaged my hearing.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The Elder is kinda my favorite because a lot of it is just two chill-rear end Jedi being chill-rear end Jedi like we all imagine them but never get to see.

All were very good, even the not great ones.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I loved the voice acting in The Elder. More NPR Jedi, please.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Resistance any good?

If you drink a couple beers while watching it and just accept it's a kids' show. I watched it mostly for the environments, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

DurosKlav posted:

So does the little kid Fett has to take care of and raise show up in episode 1 or 2?

I'd love to see the grown actor that played little Boba in ep2 to show up as Boba's 'grandson', ie, the descendent of a clone trooper. There's got to be clone progeny all over the galaxy. Huh...a group of mercs or bounty hunters comprised completely of clone descendants would be rad plot point and an excuse for Disney to hire a bunch of Pacific Islander actors.