Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Filthy Haiku posted:

Just got finished watching my brother playing through. We forgot there was a genocide save on this machine. :stare:

That seems to happen regardless for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This is Gaster's world, or at least an alternate timeline. Apart from all the major inconsistencies and sort-of-callbacks, you can see the Gaster followers around town, but in normal-looking variants. Not to mention the twitter/intro text is in the same formatting as Gaster's text hidden in Undertale. Deltarune being an anagram and Kris/Ralsei being not-quite anagrams fits the whole theory of a 'close, but not quite' alternate world.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

McFrugal posted:

You get 1 exp, which bumps you to LV 20.

You're actually at 50000 exactly after Mettaton NEO, so Sans pays out (at least) 49999 EXP. No idea why his EXP value is so massive compared to his other stats.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Larryb posted:

Somewhat related, I don't think it's actually possible to kill Mettaton during a neutral run (in fact, fighting him is one of the quicker ways to boost the ratings during said battle).

Consistent Pan/Gun crits do absurd damage and can kill him in just a few turns.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Genocide run is still the most fascinatingly written piece of media I've ever experienced; there's always been neat meta-commentary games and whatnot if you know where to look, but very few that involve you, the player, and your ever-so-human decisions and what they say about you, and more importantly, how you feel about them.
Deltarune is interesting in that, while it obviously continues the 'pacifism vs violence' themes, violence is much more of a viable option this time around. Obviously the game is far from complete, and any long-standing ramifications are yet to be seen, but it's neat to be able to go in swinging this time and have it be 'okay' in a sense.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Save file porting confirmed, huh? Guess I'm going in with my Violent save :black101:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

I don't think you get a chance to save after fighting the King, and definitely not in the real world, so how will the transfer work? Is the game just going to politely ignore all the stuff from the ch. 1 epilogue?

Apparently the game does a covert save as soon as you go to bed :ssh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oh no (ending spoilers) I never imagined a face-turn from Queen... Sorry for obliterating all your subjects :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Since the new violence/pacifism system is so incredibly transparent, it actually seems like it's a-okay to beat the hell out of certain characters like Berdly or Spamton, since they can't be LOST like most encounters. At the very least, I did and nothing negative seemed to come of it :confused:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

This route, dear god this route. You're using violence and death to help your friends. You fight people in chapter 1 and still become friends with Susie. You try to force Noelle to be more assertive by making her destroy the things she's afraid of (for example puzzles involving mice). You're a loving violent murderous friend helper and by working together you and Kris are with them in the dark

This is extra hosed up because Kris can remove the soul at any time and stop your from telling people to do things in battle but that never happens in the dark world. They're okay with this and god, there isn't even a possible split like in Undertale, you order them and they order their friends and it keeps going as long as Kris can make new dark worlds. That scene after you talk to Rudy where Noelle asks you a question and the screen goes black except for the text box was loving creepy. It reminded me of Undertale's genocide run ending and I don't know if you're seeing the world from Kris's perspective or your own. Considering what Noelle says about the voice she's hearing I think that might be the first time you really fully take over Kris's body

Note how it's your name on the save files, the Rudinn suggests naming the castle town <name>TOWN, and the save location is listed as "My" Castle Town. The player has always been the master of these worlds, and it all comes down to if you want to let yourself become immersed in them or cynically play around with the lives of their inhabitants. Considering the choice of words used at certain points, I can only imagine the Red SOUL is meant to reflect "Freedom" and all the far-reaching implications of what that could mean :unsmigghh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

President Ark posted:

something that occured to me as a potential option which would be pretty messed up would be the apocalypse ralsei's been talking about happens at the end of chapter 5 and unless you've been hardening everyone else by doing genocide poo poo you won't be strong enough to continue past that point. so a "normal" playthrough would hit that point then use the chapter select to go back to 2 (presumably with knowledge of what needed to be done having been given at that time), at which point I'm certain the flowey-style "oh boy you're using determination to play with free will!" stuff happens, but with the added kick of "is survival worth breaking all these people?". this is mostly keyed off of toby saying he'd release 3/4/5 and then the chapter select screen going up to 7 - why separate those chapters?

that feels like more of a yoko taro thing than a toby fox thing but who knows

This actually makes a lot of sense considering how nothing like this was in CH1 cause Susie, the party member of the day, is already tough enough on her own. I am on board with this line of thinking :hmmyes:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Solitair posted:

How much you wanna bet her mom's name is Carol?

100% chance (or some variation thereof)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

PIPIS - ''The Original'' An invasive species of freshwater clam. \f0 /%

huh. note that plenty of other bits refer to them as "pipis_egg" sooo

There was a Gaster follower added to UT shortly before Deltarune that teased it by saying "You'll meet my daughter 'Suzy' soon"... and that NPC was a clam :tinfoil:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

So uh, guys? Wanna try something fun?

Side B: If you have a save file from before Noelle's event in the hospital in light world after finishing Side B/Snowgrave, go do the event, and then when you walk out and Susie talks with Noelle's dad and Noelle starts thinking to herself:

Press right.

:stonk:

I foolishly saved afterwards, details?!? :negative:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

But you also get something like "the true name" if you actually pick Chara as the name....which I guess you could still say is part of the programming joke, but it's not really that much different as the community just going with one name for ease of communication, the same way "Genocide" is the route in which you kill all enemies.

Chara is also the name assigned in pre-release screenshots/promo materials.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NewMars posted:

Calling back to the character creation, I can't help but feel that our vessel would have been much more, even perfectly aligned with our responses that we've been making.

My pet theory with absolutely no basis is that the mysterious voice trapped in the game code is our vessel who got soul-swapped with Kris at the last minute by unseen forces and we're going to try to find them and fix things at some point

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

Well, we know of at least one plant that had plenty of Determination and no SOUL...

Not exactly connected, but I don't think it's a fluke that Spamton was obsessed with reaching/piercing to [heaven], refers to his 'free' NEO form as [heaven]LY and the goal of the heroes in the prophecy is to "Banish the ANGEL'S HEAVEN". Something's going on that relates this level of narrative self-awareness to this concept of 'heaven', let alone the obvious influence of Gaster on Jevil and Spamton. We also don't know what exactly this Angel is either. Probably nothing good.

I'm thinking that we the player are the ANGEL in our HEAVEN looking down and loving around with things; closing all the dark fountains and completing the game means we'll leave because there's (ostensibly) no reason to stick around anymore. Jevil and Spamton were forced to confront the truth that they are just characters in a game and went mad, with the latter trying to break free from his bonds and ascend to a higher state.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

W.D Gaster did all this work to set you up on a playdate with new friends and yall call him a villain. Tsk tsk no good deed goes unpunished.

He even keeps giving you eggs for these trying times.

There is a really funny picture I can't find right now that is the prophesy picture but Noelle is the monster, Lancer is the Prince from the Dark, and the human is the Vessel collapsed in a heap on the ground because nothing is piloting it.

Gaster actually seems extremely jovial and polite in all your encounters with him. I think at worst he might be that amoral scientist type who is more concerned with finishing the experiment than anything else.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Bee posted:

You know, now I'm curious. Assuming you kill all monsters you encounter, but never trigger the Genocide rum or stop to grind, what would your LV end up at? I figure that'd be the closest analogy for your average human participant in a human-monster war.

Around LV13, I think? The CORE monsters actually make up an overwhelming majority of your EXP available, so it can vary depending on how you get through there. The highest you can get on a neutral run is LV17, by the way. LV18 is impossible to achieve under any circumstances, and LV19-20 are Geno-exclusive.

Neuronyx posted:

I do think it should mean something that the one item that is an actual weapon is the one closest to the end of the game. I imagine murderous intent channeled into bullets would be pretty effective.

"HOW DO -YOU- LIKE IT?!" - Sheriff :blastu:

EDIT: Why the gently caress do I keep saying it was a sheriff ignore me

Presumably literal bullets wouldn't actually do anything at all to monsters. You're only harming them by channeling your emotions into a physical strike, after all. so pistol-whipping is actually mandatory :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Just do Snowgrave and you can skip all that, duh :unsmigghh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sockser posted:

A thing I realized last night re: snowgrave

you are telling Noelle to use spells, rather than Kris ACTing her

Yeah, after Kris gets KO'd, it becomes extremely obvious that you are talking with Noelle personally. Same with "You whispered Noelle's name..." at the end.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Procrastine posted:

Hot new Deltarune theory: Spamton used to be normal sized but got dunked in the acid by Swatch

src

So he was literally Joker-fied? :hmmyes:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My favorite thing about YIIK is that it forces you to grind for an in-game month before the final boss rush only to have them be scripted losses :v:
Actually scratch that, my real favorite thing is that after you lose to the final boss, there's an unbelievably out of place and self-fellating dream sequence where you visit the world of the dev's previous extremely-poorly-received game "Two Brothers" and the characters cheer you on in a way that is obviously extremely thinly veiled vitriol towards those who gave Two Brothers bad reviews in the first place, completely ignoring the fact that the game was poorly received because it was so buggy it was quite literally unplayable and had to be removed from all storefronts

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what's up with people projecting all their hangups on this game

I can't wait to Ruin Everything and give all the characters even more problems when the full game comes out :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

it's shadow burghley

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Impermanent posted:

The undertale like that I physically recoiled from was Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. The content warning is probably not descriptive enough for what the game throws at you.

Jimmy is something I paradoxically can't not recommend hard enough despite being a fan of it. It's an astounding amount of effort and polish poured into a massive game, clearly built with love and care, and absolutely succeeds at what it sets out to do... which is make you feel like loving garbage to your core. If you ever wanted to simultaneously feel like you're dying from cancer AND watching a loved one die from cancer and not being able to do anything about it, it's the perfect game for you! There is absolutely no catharsis to be had here. It will stick with me for the rest of my life in the worst ways possible. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Greaseman posted:

FWIW Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass doesn't treat that as a twist or reveal as such, so predicting that doesn't really matter.

If anything that's why the game is SO effective: none of the imagery or themes are the slightest bit subtle, but it's just vague and infrequent enough to fill you with false hope that things will turn out okay until you're really forced to accept the reality of the situation. The fact that the game is like a fully-fledged feature length RPG is really necessary to make it work, I think; like, you really get invested with the characters and world and you WANT things to turn out okay despite all the evidence to the contrary. It's like if the only ending to Chrono Trigger was 'But the future refused to change' or something :smith: