Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Blows my mind that Tony abbott is said to actually care about aboriginal people. This is him trying to help :psyduck:

If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad envoy is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband. Not withstanding all his or her faults, you find that he tends to do more good than harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The debt isn't 700B either but I can't work out where they pulled that figure from.

It's pretty close to the US budget deficit so it's probably just a symptom of it being multiple online rants smushed together.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Someone needs to steal that, take it on a party road trip and become a legend.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

Am I mishearing this? ScoMo to announce $2 plan to assist Pacific island nations in a regional development scheme?

That sounds warm and neighbourly.

I choose to believe that price tag isn't a typo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Tony Abbott and like-minded conservatives are in the midst of a concerted push to claim back the heart and soul of the Liberal party and potentially reinstall him as leader...

:getin: Do it you crazy fuckers.

quote:

...should the party find itself in opposition after next year’s federal election.

Oh, dang.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

loving go off on them you bastard.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Malcolm Turnbull posted:

What was this government doing?

For one moment I thought he got it until he started trying to justify his legacy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Turnbull tried claiming SSM. gently caress off.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The history books sadly only say what government did it, not that they cried like babies throughout

I feel like the mere fact they took it to a national vote in the second decade of the 21st century will reflect on them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've been vegetarian for 16 years now but if I still ate meat I would be all about a fortnightly trip to the local jetty for some fish and eating some roo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

That’s not a lapsed rego though that’s just someone registering a different site. His site is tonyabbott.com.au

He also has tonyabbottmp.com.au so a bit of an oversight not getting the .com.

Funny site, but I don't think anything will ever beat the Morrison site takeover.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Papers please.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Recoome posted:

I heard a rumour that Vic Greens were specifically loving disabled people for ~bike lanes~, could anyone please confirm or deny?

A tram stop redevelopment was being expanded to support disabled passengers but the proposed design would have made things more dangerous for cyclists. The council (some of which but not all are Greens) pushed back and asked for a revised design that allowed for disability access while also keeping safety for cyclists. Despite this being a reasonable request and they type of thing councils do all the time some decided to make this into an anti-Greens message.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hooman posted:

This graph is pretty stark, I knew it had been bad for the ABC but I had no idea how bad.

The funding cuts should be fought against, but I hate graphs that set an arbitrary baseline like that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Reclines Obesily posted:

it’s real bad folks

Could this have anything to do with housing unaffordability, chronic underemployment, education which used to be free now costing tens of thousands of dollars, or watching capitalism corrupt our political processes and destroy the planet?

Nah man they just need to read some history books.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

This state election is certainly the closest I’ve ever come to voting labor above Greens. I’ll probably still end up going VicSoc Greens Labor but there’s still a bit of doubt in my mind. This has been a really effective and progressive Labor government all up.

I want Andrews and Weatherill leading Federal Labor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Like I dunno how you guys get your local news but here in Queensland, Brisbane is a one paper city. We don't get a choice really. It's basically a closed shop for reporting. So Peter Beattie got into power and noticed how pro LNP the media was and got Fairfax to launch a nice laid back and easy going online paper.

It was awesome at first then Fairfax started cutting jobs ect. But despite this the Brisbane Times was still free. One of the few sites I disabled my ad blocker for to support.

The idea was that Fairfax papers would subsidie the free Brisbane digital platform to keep the Courier Mail in check and it worked out fine. In fact according to Roy Morgan Fairfax papers showed much higher digital growth than Newscorp ones. Now for big rear end journalist squads like The Age, SMH or AFR I can understand a subscription but the Brisbane Times was and still is a 15 employee experiment. It's a very small shop in comparison and to ask for a subscription is quite frankly madness.

And I would consider 169 dollars a year too expensive for local news. Especially given that it might go to Channel 9 and get killed within 2 years.

In Adelaide we basically just resort to word of mouth and r/reddit.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

loving good work Victoria, hopefully a swimg towards the incumbents based on positivity and development carries over to the Federal level.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheMightyHandful posted:

Matty Guy's Twitter account is suspended?

Nope:

https://twitter.com/MatthewGuyMP/status/1065829107944935426

(That's his last tweet lol)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Works here. Embedded Twitter videos can be dodgy though.

What's the context for those quotes? At first I thought it was going to be taking a bunch of his previous criticisms out of context but it seems like he is genuinely saying Labor did a bunch of good poo poo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

I went to Adelaide to visit a friend recently and I always liked the wine region and stuff, but I was also stunned that Adelaide City is actually good and has some really nice bars that amusingly lean into Adelaide seeming like the knitting capital of the world.

Adelaide is genuinely an awesome place to live once you know all the good places to go.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

All for it if it means we are going to see more cool "ScoMo talks to the camera" videos.

What I expect is that we will see the Libs try to run a Shorten bashing campaign while Labor follows the Vic lead in going positive.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I suspect that the rise of social media has taken away a lot of the reasons that pollies used to try and score points in Question Time. When the media had fewer channels getting in a good blow in Question Time was a way of getting your message repeated. Nowadays they can just as easily put up a video or Facebook post and get attention that way.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Reclines Obesily posted:

i dunno if anyone else is the same but when Steam and Netflix etc came out i fell off the piracy wagon entirely

Same, there's so much content there I don't have time to consume that I don't feel a need to go outside normal channels.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Accelerating $10 billion of income tax cuts for up to 12 million Australians is an option being considered by the Morrison government, as it looks to sharpen the Coalition’s pitch to aspirational voters after months of chaos and disunity.

The tax cuts, worth up to $1350 or $25 a week for median to high income earners, would wedge Labor into matching or bettering the government’s proposal earlier than expected in a move that would affect 94 per cent of taxpayers.

How the gently caress can you cut this much tax and still claim a budget surplus next year.

It baffles me. Voodoo economics.

Given the election will happen within a few months they don't need to actually deliver a surplus next year, they just have to claim they are going to.

AgentF posted:

Malcolm is far more effectual post-politics than he ever was as leader of his party and prime minister of this country.

We should be glad, if he had talked like this while PM he might still be in the job and have high popularity.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

snoremac posted:

What is the official justification for shutting down Parliament for all but 10 days?

They can technically do it so shut up and let them lead strong and stable government.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't think the Libs will split, self interest ends up overriding everything else and there is little chance they will intentionally put themselves in the wilderness for a couple of elections.

At the same time, if things get worse for the government will they really try and drag things out to May? The lack of sitting days before the election is clearly an admission that they have given up and want to reduce the chances of losing votes in parliament, and the more ineffectual they appear the worse they would probably do. At some point you would have some saying it's best to just pull the pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

i made a chilli out of that and it was pretty good

We had tacos and they worked well as will.

Actually bought some burgers today that Woolies has started doing that are the same type of thing.