Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Dems are going to take all the wrong messages from last night and double down and push a wet fart out in 2020 and my national nightmare is going to loving continue.

I wish there was an outside chance that ol' Nancy wouldn't be the speaker but lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't forget about your taxes

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

After what happened here in FL last night I am extremely concerned about 2020. I don’t think my state will vote against Trump unless the economy shits itself in the next 24 months.

A bunch of people got their voting rights back, if they break 60/40 in favor of the dems then it's a good thing. Like 40% of african american males couldn't vote in 2016 or last night, by statistics alone that should help out a ton.

I'm upset about Florida and Ohio, but old people are going to continue dying off in Florida in the next two years so

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

We won! They lost! For gently caress sake, be happy you covoking broke brains.

I'm happy that we won. We didn't win as much as I would have liked, nor did we stop as much bleeding as what happened in the senate but a lot of the state houses/senate/supreme court and governor positions were a really nice touch going into 2020

however the biggest thing that I've always hated and the biggest thing that has always bothered me is how much I hate the Democratic party, and every sign so far is that the leadership is going to continue being a wet fart.

I just wish I could vote for an actual progressive party without giving Republican's a victory they don't deserve.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tibalt posted:

Schumer telling Manchin to lay low and stay quiet is a key part of why the Kavanaugh nomination was such a success for the Democrats.

Oh, also, the Kavanaugh nomination was objectively the best you reasonably hope for from the Democrats or a hypothetical communist party in the minority.

Schumer good.

explain how quickly pushing through double digit judges after kavanaugh is a good thing please

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a thousand new posts and like 10 pages to go through when I woke up this morning so I thought something must have happened.

Boy was I loving wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dated a former military dude who told me that getting pepper sprayed for some military course he had to get certified in was the worst feeling and pain he's ever been in and I think about that a lot when people say that pepper spray is a food

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellblazer187 posted:

I hold doors open for everybody. Why only women?

there is an acceptable distance for everybody but once you exceed that distance it just becomes awkward for everybody

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katt posted:

I never got the cartridge hate. I remember when the Playstation and N64 where a thing and the playstation had loading times.

Like instead of a level starting. You watched a loading bar move from one side to the other. That was unacceptable to me.

And for the past 10 years or so a USB stick the size of a thumbnail holds like 20 GB and comes free with the purchase of a cereal box or happy meal. Cartridges should have returned and replaced CDs.

Cartridges also stacked better and didn't scratch.

Unfortunately for you this isn't how the gaming industry works anymore and like nobody is crying for the cartridge to come back except for extreme weirdos who have this weird nostalgia about them. They were terrible for sound quality and didn't have enough space on them to have anything resembling actual video quality as well as being super expensive. The USB Flash Drive found in your cereal or happy meal is also going to have a drastically noticeable slowdown when it comes to read and transfer speed so you won't instantly have a level loaded there either.

This is why there are still loading times on the switch even though they've moved back to an SD card, technology has changed and for the better and one of the downsizes was a loading bar (that most gaming companies have gotten to just 1 load time anyway)

Like I can't stress the importance of how that space being made available has allowed companies to experiment and push the boundaries that a cartridge didn't even dream of doing in the first place but that isn't for the USPOL thread tbh.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Twitter hasn't pulled something stupid and dumb like banning female presenting nipples while harboring white supremacy and alt right nazi boards yet so

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

...to whom the voters of Manhattan and Queens said, "Eh. Ok." Have you not looked at her numbers from the general? You call that excitement? You call that a rising star?

You mean the numbers that showed a +8 Dem shift from 2016?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

No, if we're talking about 2016, I was pointing out the 47,000 people who voted for Crowley in 2016 that stayed home this year, unmoved by the opportunity to vote in the great progressive hope.

And yet she still won 78% in the General with an increase of +8 to the shift from 2016, yeah dude I'm sure your opinion is super on point so go away Rape man

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InsertPotPun posted:

...I never said he did...

?

PS: this ^^^^^ is ok to you? this is acceptable?

i've figured it out, this is the result of tumblr banning horny on main and you are taking it out on the thread

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1082839415075061760

The New York Times will absolutely damage the next Democratic nominee whomever it is.

is this the loving first fact check and it's of a poo poo senator and not the giant piss baby loving lmao

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crow Jane posted:

Being pro-life is pretty bad in and of itself, imo

literally had a coworker tell me 100% seriously that being raped doesn't excuse getting an abortion

edit; i'm still shaking with rage so i don't know how to respond that isn't slamming his head into a desk

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What the hell is a "purity ball"?! I'm at work and I refuse to google this.

it's a thing in the south where daughters pledge their purity to their watcher (god/dad) first

it's super loving creepy and i'm so glad my dad laughed in our neighbors face about it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

*A bunch of tweets about boycotting Red Lobster*

imagine being so focused on a single tv anchor that you boycott a restaurant

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

This is really stupid, you realize the shutdown is not the Democrats' fault right?

some countries have an entire election to replace their congress if the congress can't agree on simple things like a budget

loving foreign concept I know

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

our very stupid system doesn't allow us to do this.

fix the system

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

Wow did his people really not have a proper response prepared?

it took days from the other letter to have a proper response and she immediately released a letter not even an hour after the response, they were expecting optics to be at play for a little bit longer and to control a narrative and they've got nothing because they got loving gut punched by an actual politician

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaced God posted:

I mean.... There are people who work night shifts who would like to be able to use electricity

yeah gently caress us night owls I guess

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Loyalty means nothing. The most significant pay raise you'll get is by going to another company and negotiating a better salary from the start.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought it was illegal to punish workers from discussing pay with each other

don't be naive enough to assume that right to work won't use another excuse to let you go

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man you can literally see the prongs of the fork going into the logo, I just can't see this noose that you are talking about.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugato posted:

I mean are we claiming now that no member of Congress has ever corrected a tweet? The race for hot takes is getting really stupid here.

most congress twitters either delete the tweet and retweet is with it corrected, AOC is the only one that leaves it up and sends another tweet to correct it

but let's loving put her on some weird pedestal and then act morally superior about it as we purity test ourselves into yet another terrible situation

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving lmao if you think that shaming a person gets them to do a bit of self reflection and realize that they are in the wrong instead of the reality of them playing nice until you are out of ear shot and immediately putting it on you as they play the victim card and then grow even further into their hatred as you've now given them a mean face and persona to attack their inner rage towards as they recall the story about the time they were bullied by the mean progressive

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

LMAO if you think being nice does anything different.

In my experience both honey and vinegar work about the same amount of times: low percentage and the person has to be willing to listen.

All I'm saying is you don't start with the shaming or else you've literally given them the "mean bully" out that they will milk for ages. You call them out in public and you give them credible sources and are nice to them and once that doesn't work, sure go the shame route unless what they've said is so universally sexist/racist that you shaming this is perfectly acceptable.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

LMAO if you think that doesn't convince them that their position must be worthy of respect or have something to it because you took the time to treat it in a respectful matter, and looky here they have sources too. You both have sources, gonna have to agree to disagree.

stay woke fam

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

For some people, and this is important, no level of discourse is gentle enough.

For the majority of people.

You have gamers who consistently make attack helicopter jokes and won't buy games because their beloved franchise has a woman, poc, or the double whammy woman poc as the lead and people here want to raise their noses up at Boomers and say it's the parents generation that's the issue.

You've got to challenge people on a consistent basis and you've got to shun them and you've got to be the one capable of showcasing your point in a calm manner because it's never about your 1 on 1 confrontation with the person. It's always going to be about the audience and making sure that maybe one person listening will begin to think so that things can get better.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crackbone posted:

Colbert defended Tucker? Gross.

It was loving stupid and Colbert deserved to be yelled at about it but nothing came of it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

And again, that has the same pitfalls. You're assuming one tact works better than the other if it's 2nd hand.

I always assume I'm arguing for the people reading, because nobody ever admits they're wrong on the internet. You aren't going to either. Neither am I.

I will gladly admit that I am wrong if you actually understood that I'm not talking about the highlander argument where that can only be one but you do you dude :)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

If you're not making GBS threads on the effectiveness of shaming/yelling people then we good.

I think it's not the best approach to start with it, but at the same time understand that some situations and numerous different type of contexts call for skipping right to it when appropriate.

To be fair to myself, I'm about done with being nice to anybody who identifies as a Centrist and even further done to those right of that. I'm sick of all this loving information being available and being willfully ignorant isn't seen as the bad thing it should be. I'm glad that I'm independent enough and have escaped living in the South to where I've actively cut my family out of my life since the 2016 election but again not everybody can do that :shobon:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spun Dog posted:

So learn from it and move on. Every misstep by democrats doesn't require a full blown meltdown.

gop: *missteps at like five times a day*
everyone:

dems: *missteps*
everyone: this is why nobody votes

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do most maga chuds have "free thinker" in their loving profile

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VitalSigns posted:

holy poo poo dude does she split her rent-free vacations between your head and Ben Shapiro's. You've been mad about a typo for 24 hours

can either of you two just like stop and move on to something else like the hearing or the weird spew of poo poo that came out last night or anything outside of this real dumb slap fight

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"The younger generations are more progressive!" is something that I don't think is real anymore.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

LOL wrong, incredibly wrong.

It's just the first generation where bad opinions can be spread online and you hear about them. The upcoming generation is far more left wing in poll after poll.

you are being real defensive and kind of a dick here so I'm just gonna tell you that I declined yet another applicant that told me women shouldn't be in software but his references told me he was a "great boy" and just say you can show me the polls and how things are actually instead of just being a dickwad

theflyingorc posted:

"Kids these days are all alt-right MAGAheads" is "kids these days are all eating tide pods", but for very online people

actually nevermind

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

http://www.people-press.org/2018/03/01/the-generation-gap-in-american-politics/

I'm sorry I called you very wrong, that must have hurt your feelings a whole lot

there's literally no reason to react the way you did dude both originally, and in this response. Be better.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nazzadan posted:

Nothing in his post was exceptionally aggro, sorry an all uppercase "lol" set off your weird concern trolling?

Not really concern trolling, but I am worried about a bunch of influx of gamer gate idiots being way more prominent and like it's nice to see that the polls from a year ago show a good trend but it still doesn't seem right, but maybe I'm still worried about the upcoming dsa meeting tomorrow.

Also it wasn't just the "lol" but also "aww did your feelings get hurt" which I've heard a lot in my life because a lot of "hey maybe you shouldn't be an rear end in a top hat for comedy" has been turned around as "don't be so emotional" and "what are you, on your period?" so like, guess that'll never change.

I'll back out of the thread, sorry for making an appearance, continue on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

This is a weird thing to post, and I do not wish to outrank anybody.

Asema, I think you took my original reaction too strongly - I really really strongly dislike the "kids are more conservative" canard that gets raised every once in a while.

I was extremely direct, and maybe I shouldn't have been, but I wasn't wild about how, when corrected, you immediately chose to tone police. It was a bit weird to be primarily focused on how my post made you feel rather than its accuracy. I should have linked my source earlier, you're not wrong about that.

People can be mean to each other in here sometimes, don't take it personally.

I can understand that things get repeated a lot but this is a huge thread and I'll be honest there's sometimes where I just skip to the end because there's a couple hundred to a thousand new posts that I don't have the energy to read. It's hard to keep emotionally attached to how lovely things are right now and all I really wanted to see was that if the perception of a bunch of dumb MAGA idiots being public was a high enough % to be worried. I put it in quotes because I tried to make sure it wasn't a stance that people thought I took, with saying that it just feels like it's becoming the opposite and I understand as I'm typing that out right now that it's a feels/reals thing and I hate myself for it.

It's just with a lot of celebration on Reddit, with T_D, with 4chan, with 8chan, with a bunch of lovely loving hellhole places on the internet. That it doesn't seem what the polls say. I'm glad to be corrected, I'm glad to be wrong and that the shift is real and is apparent enough to have solid data points, but even in my post education comp sci / stem field industry I'm still seeing a lot of loving CHUDS and not enough support for what I think is basic rights. HR literally had to give a lecture about trans rights last month because one of our employees said "I don't care what he calls himself, him cutting off his dick doesn't make him a woman" and even then it was all "I'm doing this because corporate wants me to" rather than an issue people wanted to stand up for. And I get it, I know that my small anecdotes don't really make up the bigger picture here. My stats professor is throwing chalk at me from states away but sometimes I need somebody to slap me with polls so that I can feel better about the world I'm leaving behind lmao

I didn't mean to "pull rank" or try to do anything but I'm personally done with hurtful/mean comedy that puts people down. The world does that enough imo