Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lightning Knight posted:

You should explain why.

I don't mean this in that I disagree with you, I am genuinely curious.

It starts off incorrect and then just goes increasingly off the rails. Even by DnD chicken littleing standards it is ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Hi Nancy Pelosi is one of the most badass women in America and the fact that the Republican party absolutely loving hates her guts should probably tell you something about how effective she has been.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It wouldn't be that hard to overhaul the Middle East thread into a general warcrimes/genocide/enforced starvation megathread at this point. Or if Axeil has the time and energy to make such a thread that would be awesome too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

+1 for news thread

Same

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

There are a couple of places that person could work where that would be reasonable (eg elder care, health care worker, less-so but arguably almost as important, someone involved in the cleanup effort). That said obviously, dollars to dimes that's a 'we need you at gamestop' message or something.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

Even if it was an essential service, that's so loving tone deaf they deserve the sentiment anyway.

Oh yeah undeniably

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It must be a coincidence how often the right wing media starts ramping up the 'old evil dem women, actually money grubbing power vampires?' poo poo and a week later you see a bunch of liberals and leftists tripping over themselves to talk about how terrible they are

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Can't someone fund some studies saying that dumping 10x more sugar into your sweet tea will cure ED, raise testosterone levels, eliminate unhealthy cholesterol, and cure cancer already

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
wow several antifa connections, holy poo poo guys watch out

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I mean on the spectrum of things covered udner 'foreign corrupt practices act' a 50 million dollar free penthouse apartment for a foreign leader is literally the exact kind of thing covered.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Craig K posted:

i've made another huge mistake

Whoever had that og 'i've made a huge mistake' av gets my vote for 'best DnD av of 2018'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I wonder what the odds are the someone told trump that Putin expected krysha and so he literally got the top penthouse, like a literal and figurative interpretation of paying krysha

RandomBlue posted:

Wasn't that Greyjoy?

Ah yeah it was.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:3:

evilweasel posted that particular shot right after it happened with 'this would be great av material, fyi' and i lunged for the cropping tool

It proved so prescient, too

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah that reads like Trump's, "I am not a crook"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

:toxx: $100 to RAINN if a Trump (or Kushner) gets indicted today. :gritin:

fuckit same

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Just imagine the angry tweetstorm if Ivanka was indicted

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nixon much like W was smart enough to repaint his legacy and have friends to help do that. they did it in different ways(nixon through charisma and wonkery and W through charity) it sucks but i take joy in knowing trump isn't smart enough to pull that poo poo off.

You are literally the first person to ever use charisma and Nixon in the same sentence, wtf am I reading?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I can't believe for a second that anyone who defends the US healthcare system has ever stepped foot outside of the country. The US may literally be the country where you pay the most (as in orders of magnitude more, and that is not an exaggeration) and receive the least.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Imagine being an anti-weed LEO in 2018, jfc it must suck to suck

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's a small comfort in knowing trump doesn't want to be there and HW wouldn't have wanted him there either

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Reforge the plaques and recarve the statues and monuments into urinals, that's my platform vote herstory 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Phlag posted:

For what it's worth, Harvard does have somewhat generous tuition coverage for lower income families:

I'm not saying that they couldn't or shouldn't do more, or that their allocation of endowment funds is just in a larger sense, though.

Ah yes and what percentage of their class comes from families making less than 65000 a year, i'll wait

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I've gotta admit, it's a really weird feeling to sit here thinking that someone did the right thing by cooperating with the feds, but here we are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Reid actually did some good stuff. He pushed through so many judges.

A lot of people have this conception of politicians (and in particular of congress) as on some level being primarily an intellectual and moral discussion about the merits of various positions.

That's a charming idea but has nothing to do with what politics actually is in practice. Politics is 100% about efficiently finding carrots or sticks as the case demands and wielding them skillfully. The most intellectual debate ever going on wrt that is over what causes merit what expenditure of finite political capital. It's an entirely craven system where 'what can you do for me?' is the central question ('what can you do to hurt me?' is the close second).

I know that sounds cynical, but it's basically how congress was intended to work, especially in the context of the popular concept of sending MoC to DC so that they can bring home the bacon. Really shrewd politicians are just famously good at cultivating a working knowledge of their opponents indiscretions and understanding deeply the interests of their friends.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
People in r/the_donald were ferring to him as Stephen 'Literally Goebbels' Miller

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Your Taint posted:

I took it as they used inauguration funds to pay off the Trump U settlement.

Funny thing about it is that there were surprisingly widespread rumors about basically exactly that at the time. I remember a lot of comments from people around Trump saying, 'he just thinks that all campaign money is a personal slush fund and he gets furious if you tell him he can't do that.'

This definitely gives some context to what had people shook up enough to be venting

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Trump and his related businesses and organizations may literally be the most investigated man in America at the moment. It feels like the dam is starting to break

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I would bet good money on Kushner being in Mueller's sights. It was basically an open secret that his investments were having cash funnelled into them by the trainload as a means of influencing Trump and with his otherwise inexplicable role of 'trump's guy in the middle east' it would coincide with the reports that Mueller is looking into influxes of cash from ME sources.

That said, it might be too early in the process to be him

There's such a weird pleasure in seeing all of these things that were basically open secrets to anyone who followed this stuff now getting followed up on by appropriate authorities. That sense of 'Trump can do anything and nothing sticks' really just seems in retrospect like the FBI was tossing him all the rope he could ever need

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Radish posted:

It's absolutely unsurprising that pretty much all of conservatism has decided to go all in on "well actually moral depravity is a good thing; I'm sure you guys are even worse somehow."

great now you've got me agreeing with them

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

eke out posted:

this is bizarre, i don't even know what would explain this at this point

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075808047887540225

maybe whitaker realized that getting charged with obstruction will hurt his dreams of a federal judicial appointment

Yeah, I would strongly suspect that he's aware that, even if he wanted to, loving over the Mueller investigation is literally igniting whatever remains of his career on fire. At the end of the day Mueller was a former director of the FBI and an extremely well-respected one at that. Not to mention that he'd have to be unspeakably stupid to not see the writing on the wall that the FBI is conducting probably the most substantial counter-intel investigation/operation it has ever undertaken and I would be very surprised if he has heard literally nothing about some of the more egregious poo poo that the investigation has dug up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

"Cool", "young", and "smart" are extremely relative where republicans are concerned

Paul ryan was so wildly uncool that I'm pretty sure no one in his life has ever even offered him weed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

If you read 'donations' as drugs and alcohol this chart suddenly makes way more sense

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Please tell me the truck is literally out of a south park episode

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
This fence stuff is hilarious because a lovely modernist fence with irrelevant spikes 25 feet up is stupid and pointlessly sadistic enough to be a joke to the left and nothing near the fortress compound defensive position with mounted weapons and troops stationed on it wall that conservatives have been jerking off about.

The white house has felt really, wildly off the rails since Kelly left.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Just lol if you think that Pelosi or Schumer are in a compromising mood. Pelosi in particular has been savage lately, but they both obviously smell blood in the water and clearly have been extra harsh ever since their meeting with trump.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ah, so that's still like $5-10 billion for raw material, right? (And I don't know about the building portion of federal contracting but if it's anything like tech I'm sure that's the cheapest part of a contract)

Labor costs and getting heavy construction equipment to 2000 miles of border while you dig a probably 10 foot deep trench that presumably will be filled with concrete, which also has to be hauled out to remote as gently caress border locations is going to dwarf the cost of steel. And of course there's the cost of the legal battles over how they get the land, etc.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

So, uh two things.

First, Trump doesn't know how to post pictures if I'm not mistaken so this is a staff tweet. Someone on his staff thought posting this was a good idea.

Second, couldn't you just, like, wrap a chain around a slat, hook the ends to an F-150 and pull the slat down

Funny thing is a midsize suv is like 16-17 feet, the vehicle is what 12 slats long, so each slat+empty space is about 16 or 17 inches and there appears to be about a 60:40 ratio of empty space to slat. So each gap is about 10 inches at that scale

eyebeem posted:

Nah that’s not how this would work.

You would grade a flat road the length of the fence and auger a 16-20” wide hole 15-25’ deep at each post. You’d set the post in that hole and either fill the annulus with crushed rock or slurry cement. I’d probably make an effort to use locally mined materials with a portable crusher where possible in the rocky desert areas of the west.

You can't auger individual holes when they're all 4 inches apart

E: on further thought, you'd probably have to pre weld like 8 or 10 foot sections of the fence and then you could maybe auger a ditch, albeit an un-reinforced narrow ditch is going to collapse in like 99% of soil conditions so it would either take specific shoring or might even be easier to just use bulldozers to make a trench and then just bulldoze dirt back into place later.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 22, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

eyebeem posted:

It’s almost like one of us does this for a living, and it’s not you!

You auger alternating holes, hitting a row of every other hole while another rig sets beams behind you. Then you double back and auger between the beams that have been set.

You're right I don't install comical border fences for a living

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
im not voting for any wall that doesn't have electrified razor spikes on the top, those spikes in the image were passe 1200 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why not just a moat of lava? That way we don't even need to man it, because convection will roast the perfidious foreigners before they even get close to the border.

maybe then we could have osme horizontal spikes that immigrants could self-impale themselves on while they wait for asylum to process, bartolome de las casas would be so proud

CommieGIR posted:

What if we make the spikes out of coal?

or combining these ideas, maybe a moat full of coal ash?

I get that these suggestions sound sadistic, but if we're going to go with a sadistic wall fence I don't want it to be some amateur hour creation