Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Potentially game-changing things for 2020:

[list][*]Florida Amendment 4 that restores voting rights to 1.4 million people, most of whom are African-American.
Not even 24 hours later, and we've convinced ourselves that next time Lucy definitely won't pull the ball away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Yeah this is why as much as i hated red state democratic senators, we badly needed them: 2020 is a huge inflection point and stuff like voting rights reform and PR/DC statehood are so directly tied to the viability of the Democratic party that they'd probably support those and no Republican, however 'moderate' will. If Tester and Sinema can pull out wins despite being slightly down in the count right now (I have little hope for a Nelson recount but Tester and Sinema aren't dead yet), it might be possible to do this: I think we can swing 52-48. I don't know we can swing 54-46.
It will really effectively be 55-45 for the 2020 election. Doug Jones is not keeping his seat.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

he probably isn't...but i can easily see roy moore making another run at it
My money is on Jeff Sessions getting canned in the next few days/weeks, and him running for his old seat again in 2020.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Only in the sense that doing it could politically backfire by firing up Democrat voters and make the 2022 mid terms a headache for Republicans.

But he might decide trying to steal another seat is worth the effort.
If stealing SCOTUS seats fired up Democratic voters, Trump wouldn't be President today. If anything, it fired up the Republican voters who saw that they could actually pull it off.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

Glad that’s been settled.

What are you loving kidding me? Sinema is in the lead in Arizona?!
Yes, but they're not done counting yet. I don't think anyone has a very good idea of where there are still a lot of uncounted votes, so it's too soon to celebrate. And overseas military mail-in ballots are still coming in; they only needed to be postmarked by November 6th.

Also, if you haven't been paying attention, Florida is Florida'ing us again. "Broward County", "undercounts", and "column ballot" will be 2018's version of "Miami-Dade County", "hanging chads", and "butterfly ballot".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I promise no one thought of him that way, he's been a butt-monkey of the republican party for years. Do you not remember the very long-lived jihad beard meme? This serious-person image-crafting is a Sorkinesque delusion that was never really a thing.
Are you kidding? Ryan was nearly always treated as a "policy wonk", when his "budget" proposal was the equivalent of the dril candle tweet.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Something in Broward County caused a massive undercount in the Senate race compared to every other Florida county (4% versus less than 1% everywhere else).

This could be due to either an error in the vote-tallying machine, or people skipped over it due to poor ballot design. So either the Republicans will lose after a thorough recount, or Republicans win because of more lovely 2000-esque bullshit. They're trying to counter both of these scenarios by poisoning the well and saying any news coming out of Broward County is Democratic voter fraud.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There are a couple of places that person could work where that would be reasonable (eg elder care, health care worker, less-so but arguably almost as important, someone involved in the cleanup effort). That said obviously, dollars to dimes that's a 'we need you at gamestop' message or something.
Essential services should probably be staffed sufficiently such that one person being unable to work for one day doesn't cause death and suffering.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Email votes? Has that EVER happened ANYWHERE?
As an overseas voter, I'm able to email my scanned ballot to Kansas, of all places.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

what does that statement even mean? when they have proof that you lied they're pretty good about trapping you into lying? what? it's only a "trap" if they somehow coerced you into lying. what is this man saying?
He's saying they're good at asking questions in a way that make you think you can lie your way out of them, but they've already got the goods and will gently caress you hard if you actually try to lie your way out of them.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

That said, I really wish she'd stop mentioning her bachelor's degree in economics as if it gave her special insight into anything at all. That's annoying and she should stop.
She should do that just as soon as everyone that went to an Ivy League school because they were a legacy, and then immediately got a job in the "finance" industry from their rich people contacts, and then went on to use their positions of power to grift millions of dollars while doing nothing productive for the economy, also stops mentioning that they have special insight into anything at all.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Hope is a lie again huh :smith:
Do not ever put your hope in a Florida election.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottGuitars/status/1063558984651689984

Explain how Caesar died without mentioning any stabbings.
Closing 214 voter precincts in minority and poor areas, purging 1.5 million voters, and not approving 53,000 properly submitted voter registrations.

I already knew the mechanisms off the top of my head, and it took literally less than ten seconds to find the exact numbers.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

While I support her choice to wear whatever she wants, it still makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that her choice has been so heavily influenced by a deeply misogynistic culture, and because only women are expected to wear such a ridiculous thing. She should dump the high heels.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pmchem posted:

Universal absolutely open borders results in China taking over any small, strategic location it desires by state-sponsored (forced) immigration. Iceland, Monaco, Guam, Cyprus, Panama, Denmark, random countries in Africa, the list goes on. It’s a ridiculous idea if taken at face value.
lol if you think the reason a much larger nation-state doesn't annex and occupy a much smaller neighbor is because the smaller neighbor has its own internal regulations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

It's sobering that even during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, the majority of America still wasn't ready to embrace economic populism and accept that the capital class was robbing them left, right, and sideways. Even for those that did acknowledge it, many still clung to the mantle of the embarrassed millionaire, convinced that if they just worked hard enough they could win at a rigged game.
Human psychology is much more concerned with not being last than it is being first. Last-place aversion means that those in the middle focus their attention on making sure somebody is beneath them rather than worrying about the ones above them.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are some offices better than others?
Even if they all have an identical floor plan, some will inevitably be closer to elevators or the entrance or bathrooms. Which neighbors you have nearby is also an important thing in D.C.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I thought AOC was wearing a cape at first glance.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Stung by rejection from a prospective love interest, the spurned would-be beau finds solace using unconventional method

*tweets photo of grisly murder scene*

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1070340609695727616?s=19

Donald is a big dumb stupid, but he does have a knack for realizing when he can simply skip out on a debt and make it someone else's problem.
It's basically a tautological claim. The "coming debt crisis" only ever arrives on the inauguration day of a Democratic president.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Shes gonna be the goddamn president someday.
Her style of delivery is very different, but she reminds me a lot of Obama in 2004. It's definitely possible she could make a serious run for president in the future. It's a harder hill to climb from the House than the Senate, but it's more about media attention than actual credentials, and so far she is getting a lot of it.

But odds are still long.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

lol at the idea of Congress being a mechanism of accountability, or that sitting on charges until the person isn't in a position to easily escape consequences is "an abdication of responsibility".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Every time I come into this forum and see that this thread has only a couple of hundred new posts, I feel disappointed, because that means the orange empire has not yet collapsed. I am waiting for the day I come in here to see 4,000 new posts, and learn that an extinction-level event has happened to Trump and his scumbag cohort.
I am extremely relieved when I don't see thousands of new posts, because that means RBG is still alive.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

White House Chief of Staff Chief McStaff and his deputy, Deputy McChiefstaff
"Major Major had been born too late and too mediocre. Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was."

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Squalid posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I think part of the Russian media strategy is to delegitimize ideas they feel are counter to their interests by creating associating them with vaguely defined negative feelings and associations and then insinuating them into the discourse. So the fact that this statement makes no sense doesn’t matter, their are trying to create an association between being a “neocon” and being a bad fake conservative and via this association simultaneously undermine the popularity of the neocon agenda of aggressive foreign policy. Or at least that’s my theory anyway.
Russia's "strategy" is to just throws buckets and buckets of poo poo at us. Don't waste your time trying to decipher meaning from the shapes in the poo poo splatter.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

We're going to need some kind of chart to keep track of all the different Trump corruption investigations.
They're congealing into a single large interconnected corruption investigation, like bits of liquid metal from a shattered T-1000.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

This is amazing and I wish Americans would do something similar on the regular. We need to restore the Sword of Damocles above the heads of the powerful in this country, especially corporations.
Any Americans that throw pig poo poo at cops would be dead Americans a few seconds later, and a huge portion of the country would say they deserved it for "attacking" police.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Smeef posted:

Also, the US is a country of children, and if people had free fire extinguishers, within the first week they’d all get sprayed for fun, placed in a field and used for target practice, or huffed to get and get high.
I'm surprised they don't make it a legal requirement to have a fire extinguisher in the trunk. It would give cops another excuse to illegally search black people's cars when they're pulled over, and judges an excuse to let them get away with it. "Safety" is the ultimate excuse for bad behavior by authorities.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Illiquid means assets that you can't convert to cash or a market where not many people are participating. It's an actual word, but LOL if anyone is stupid enough to think Trump knows what it means.
It's extra stupid because the growth in stock prices in the past decade have not gone to salary increases or investments in capital goods and development, but into stock buybacks and stockpiling cash. It would be entirely unsurprising if a story was reported tomorrow that Apple has installed a vault at their headquarters that they call the "Money Bin" stacked floor to ceiling with money that only C-level executives are capable of swimming in.

The "market" has never been more liquid than it is right now.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

1) The presidency isn’t actually as powerful as its portrayed as being popularly

2) Trump is an incurious moron with a three second attention span

Both “problems” solve each other.
The presidency has an incredible destructive capacity in the hands of someone malicious, but is extremely constrained in its ability to do anything good even by someone talented and with the best intentions.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I keep forgetting Hannity and Carlson are two different people.
Hannity is like Jay Leno in that he has such weird, hosed up facial features that a photograph of him and a caricature of him drawn at an amusement park would be virtually indistinguishable.

Carlson is the guy that your brain instantly puts into the "dipshit teenage libertarian" category, but he's actually 50 years old.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

qkkl posted:

Stock prices aren't 1:1 to liquid cash. If you sell $50 billion of stock you wont get $50 billion in cash because the selloff will trigger a drop in stock prices. The more you sell, the more the price falls.
The purpose of stock buybacks is the exact opposite. It reduces the number of outstanding shares, making the ones still out there worth more, which increases shareholder value and increases stock prices, upon which C-level executive pay is often tied to.

Cash stockpiles are exactly that, and don't come from selling stock, but from company profits that are not put to any better productive purpose.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I'm about to blow your mind

At least this is a good source of shade, unlike Trump's steel slat fencing.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Yes, clearly the reason that people are unwilling to walk outside for thousands of miles at the tail end of December when they were willing to do so in summer and early fall must be because of Trump. I can't think of any other explanation.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So this morning DOW futures were looking like they were bouncing back 100 points, now we are looking at a drop of 200 points

Merry christmas
Even after a precipitous drop over a short period, a 200 point change in either direction is noise that doesn't mean anything and should be ignored.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ascii genitals posted:

thanks for the analysis professor!
Then why are people suddenly posting after-hours DOW futures that are well within normal variation? It means nothing today, just as it meant nothing six months ago.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

That's not true. Tax cuts on the poor and middle-class work, because they simply up their consumption. Tax cuts on the rich don't work because they simply buy more stocks.
The share of tax cuts going to the poor and middle class is always so inconsequential in comparison to what the rich get, that "tax cuts" and "tax cuts for the wealthy" mean exactly the same thing.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SirPablo posted:

We have the real life, old, white version of President Camacho.
President Camacho cared about the well-being of the people, and deferred to the judgement of experts instead of his own gut feeling. We'd be way better off with Camacho.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Do golfers even refer to sinking the ball as "scoring"? The only thing in this completely loving idiotic tweet that would surprise me a little is Trump not even knowing basic golf stuff. It's like the only thing I expect him to know anything about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kale posted:

:lol: the number one story on CNN right now is literally about Trump's Christmas Eve twitter meltdown. I sort of wonder what the rest of the worlds take is looking at all this. I've been wondering what's going through the heads of various Western ally countries leaders for a while now. Like what do we do about the situation with the U.S and their completely useless leader that's stopped listening to anyone but Fox News pundits now that we can't try to at least go through Mattis anymore. It's not exactly something you can try to wait out for another 2 years anymore at this point, like the guys just lost it for a while now and under any normal circumstances with any functional government check and balance is out.
At least from my perspective in Denmark, the news here doesn't report on the daily tweets. You might see an old one if it relates to whatever the larger story they're talking about at any given time (international news outlets have picked up on the "there is a Trump tweet for everything" phenomenon),but the random bullshit doesn't make it through the TV and newspaper filters. You have to be a masochistic piece of poo poo like me, and purposefully seek it out online if you want to see it.