Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Has anyone had double vision/IPD issues with this game. I can't figure out what's going on, but the IPD is hosed up so that nearby things look super nearby and the track has an elongated sense of depth. The UI inside the car is impossible to focus on. I'm using a Samsung Odyssey through the OpenVR support. One suggestion I saw was to use ReVive/ReMix and set it to Oculus support, but I didn't have time before this session to get that figured out.

E: I should add that it's fine everywhere else, just iRacing that is messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I can't find any specific people saying they fixed the issue. But maybe try ReVive.

From what I can find its anything from drivers, ReVive, or possibly bad unit?

I've seen the "I returned it and now it works" posts, but it's totally a software issue. it works too well in other games to be a hardware issue.

E: Got it working in ReVive and the IPD is now correct. I also did the disable force feedback and then re-enable it and that also seemed to work. I then proceeded to put down some decent Miata times at Laguna Seca, thus proving that the only reason I was second to last and not first were these issues. QED.

carticket fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 25, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wonder if this fixes the hosed up IPD bug I have with the Odyssey and WMR. Using Oculus and ReMixed fixed it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Will there be another season? I got in on two races before packing all my worldly possessions into a storage unit, and I'm at least 2 months out from having another place to live.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Gosh I really need a place to live and access to the back of my storage unit.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It me, the alleged sim racing fan who keeps eyeballing the wheel stand in the back of her storage unit and sighing because getting to it means :effort:

I can't even eyeball it. It's in the corner with all the well packed boxes which went in first, then furniture, then the "poo poo, I still have a lot to pack" half-assed boxes. It's really far back (10x20 unit). Also, I have no place for it in this little box of a room at my Mom's. gently caress the housing market.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t worry when the bubble pops again you can trade your wheel for a 5 bedroom house.

I would like that very much, since I just sold my condo for a nice profit, but at what cost? How many races must I miss?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am pouring sparkling apple juice all over myself to celebrate a totally undeserved P2 finish.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I thought it was NASCAR 2004?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Turn off crowds, events, and stands. That helped me a lot. Mirrors are apparently performance killers, too, but I'm not 100% on that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vando posted:

Hey everyone, post a quick 'this is a cool car to drive' post for whatever series you're into atm and I'll add it to the OP

Join Fixed Ferraris Today! This series involves driving a car that is actively trying to kill you. Freshly graduated from rookies, this series is open to all D class licenses and above. What better way to celebrate by dropping your SR below 2.0 and cratering your iRating by repeated death in bottom split. A small investment in the 488 GT3 car will get you hours of entertainment as a slight love tap on your friend running two wide into a turn sends them spinning off into oblivion. You will be forced to learn better braking habits to get faster in this trial by rapidly spinning fire. Races happen on the :30's most (but not all) hours.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Schorsch posted:

The Mercedes AMG GT3 (Bathtub Edition) is the official goon endurance racing car.
Team Bearpope Enduro enjoys a smooth ride with the most balanced GT3 car. It's built like a tank, turns like an ancient galleon and has the sound of a grumpy coffee machine. The AMG is used in the IMSA series where you get to enrage whiny GTE drivers by abiding to the rules, the VRS GT Sprint/Endurance series where all the GT3 cars duke out the worst driver and several 6h+ events where we test for up to 24h if the car or the armco barriers last longer.

What's the consensus on the Z4? I asked in discord but it will probably disappear before the Euro folks see it. I always liked it in AC. I've got the Ferrari and I'm going to pick up the AMG for bearpope races once I get my license up. I was trying to think what I would drive personally in the sprint series.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NtotheTC posted:

Or the Radical. There was that gooncar where we did Radicals at nords and someone shared their "stable" setup in which all four tire pressures and ride heights were different

So, that sounds like a coffee table with all four legs different lengths.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Whelp, did my first ever race against other folks and ran into the guy on the grid right next to me before the green flag.

Fixed Ferrari usually includes a car getting airborne before green.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah happened in a race I was in the other night, guy in front of me got on the brakes hard behind the pace car, I got on the brakes hard, guy behind me did the same and the guy behind him hit him so hard he landed on his roof.

Flippin is racin.

This happened to me shortly after I posted it, but luckily it was just me getting rear ended and it didn't seem to damage anything, so just 4x for both of us. I do really enjoy this week at Spa, though, because you'll crest at the top of eau rouge and there will just be a car tumbling down the track.

Is there an authoritative rule on the track limits? I know it's tighter than "keep a set of wheels on the curb" because I'll get an off track in a lot of places doing that. The last section of eau rouge (left at the top of the hill) seems to have a large cuttable area (much more lenient than other parts of the track) before you get an off track, and even then you have to cut further to get a black flag. I can't figure out where the line is for the off track, though (also true of pretty much every other turn as well).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The flashing white flag was definitely not intended.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cojawfee posted:

Your CPU is probably the bottleneck.

This. I don't believe I have ever seen the "gpu bottleneck" icon in iRacing when reprojection kicks in. This is with only a lowly 2080 non-Ti.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jonathan posted:

I found a recent .ini from the iracing page and it's working great for me and my 1080ti and ryzen 2700.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KtdcpBcrH3uqa7h54L7oMwQA2PZBq3xQ

On a side note, my rear view mirror and the sky are kinda funky, like some stuff is appearing closer and farther than it should. Anyone know if there is a setting to fix this ? Like, I'll notice clouds and they seem closer than the track, yet still appearing behind the track and trees etc, if that makes sense. Alsmost like looking at one of those magic eye posters from the 90's.

Also I joined the gooncar league. I'll be able to play sometimes.

What headset? You may need to use AlignmentFix and if WMR, you may need to use NoInterEyeRotation (a WMR setting, not iRacing). I spent months using revive for iRacing because of this problem, but for me NoInterEyeRotation solved it (along with one of the AlignmentFix settings)

E: my basic understanding is that iRacing is one of a few games that doesn't pay any attention to the headset alignment parameters. If your headset doesn't have perfect alignment, there are parameters that can be used to render correctly still. iRacing has somehow messed this up to the point where there's a setting with 4 values (1 off, 3 different types) to try to fix it. The claim is that this is related to SPS on Nvidia cards, but I still had problems even with SPS off. For me, I had to go to the WMR settings and enable NoInterEyeRotation which I assume tells the API that the game does not perform inter-eye rotation, but tbh, I have not found any documentation for what this actually does or means. This set of issues seems to be specific to the OpenVR implementation, as using Revive and the Oculus implementation is fine except for the performance hit.

Basically, I have little faith in the graphics engine devs, between this whole thing and the incredibly poor performance on certain maps in certain sections.

E: vvvv here is a reference on the iRacing forums: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3657475.page#11660018

carticket fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 23, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I really need to make a quick wheel stand/chair retainer.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vando posted:

Reminder that it's the Daytona 24 this weekend, we've got two entire goon teams that are definitely not going to die, and there's still time to get some practice in and join us all in hell.

You will get bonus credit if you can be the team financier and bring like three or four spare cars for when we definitely don't die.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Why am I walking up at 7 to play video games with goons?!? We can't even play at the same time! It's just hotseat multiplayer!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Shine posted:

E: also, bad driver

you just described half the field

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IceAgeComing posted:

hey look I can do left turns; I just get confused when we have to turn right

You forgot: you can brake for the bus stop and/or not fall asleep while racing. I hear not everyone is so skilled.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The General posted:

I've never fallen asleep but I have been so far behind from the pack that my mind wanders and I just fail to turn before smashing into a wall.

That happened to someone on our team, too! Except replace mind wanders with "wheel loses its mind".

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can you have mixed AI and multiplayer races?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just wanted mixed human/AI races to have a gooncar oval series with 10 goons and 30 of the dumbest AI possible.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The head tracking origin on the mirrors in iRacing isn't quite right. If you move your head to look at them, the scene shown in them shifts too dramatically. What I have surmised is that the head tracking seems to be based around the headset which is ahead of your eyes, so when you rotate your head, the headset moves more dramatically and then it all makes sense. I have no idea if this is correct, but the movement of the mirrors is a common complaint in VR.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you want to race skips, NH is an excellent track for it, but it looks like it only gets in every other season or so.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, this works? I’ve always held off on streaming iracing for this very reason

I will be watching for James Balles-Drôle (thanks Google translate)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

KillHour posted:

I applied to run with you guys so we can all wreck together. :love:

You have no idea how true this statement is.

Math You posted:

I put in a request to join the league. What's the difference between a team and a league anyway?
Now to practice Laguna Seca...

A team are people you drive cooperatively with. A league are people you drive "competitively" with. Using quotes because GoonCar isn't particularly competitive.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vando posted:

Moved info to top of OP to make it easier to find.

Also that was 17 cars for Gooncar, approaching the peak of last summer. Let's see if we can break 20 car fields for the first time ever in the next few weeks.

I really need to try to figure out some compromise to be able to race with my foot the way it is.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Evig Vandrar posted:

OK, last steering wheel question, and thanks for your help so far. I ran into some solid deals, so I probably have a choice to make. Which one would you pick - G920 or T150?

I have a G29 which is essentially a G920 in Sony clothes. While it was in storage, I bought a T150 (Pro, so better pedals) to use. The G29 is worlds better in build quality. When I got my G29 back out of storage, I traded the Pro pedals to my brother in law who had the cheaper pedals, and they look so very cheap. The G29 pedals have a rubber stopper and non-linear curve for the brake pedal that gives them a decent feel for non-loadcell

In the end, though, they both worked. The G29 has an advantage in build quality, brake pedal feel, and clutch pedal existence.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The easiest way to do well in skips is to get a decent grid position and learn to avoid the lap 1-2 wrecks. This will pretty much always drop you into the top 5 going into lap 3. It doesn't really get much better in skips, at least as far as splits I've seen.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

KodiakRS posted:

I had just started iRacing a 5 years ago when life decided to kick me in the testicles and I had to stop. I had advanced out of rookies and started racing skips where I was finishing mid-pack when I manage to not get killed. After such a long hiatus would you guys recommend going back to rookies or toughing it out in the skip?

I like the skip. I don't like the MX5. I recommend skips, but that's personal bias.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Intentional wrecking is pretty rare. Someone intentionally taking an action that results in you getting wrecked is common, and rarely considered anything beyond a racing incident precipitated by idiocy.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The Odyssey+ controllers (which are not the standard WMR controllers) are fine for everything I've thrown at them. The tracking area is smaller than some other options, but the image quality in the headset is very nice, and it has a physical IPD adjust.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Powers posted:

What headset? You may need to use AlignmentFix and if WMR, you may need to use NoInterEyeRotation (a WMR setting, not iRacing). I spent months using revive for iRacing because of this problem, but for me NoInterEyeRotation solved it (along with one of the AlignmentFix settings)

E: my basic understanding is that iRacing is one of a few games that doesn't pay any attention to the headset alignment parameters. If your headset doesn't have perfect alignment, there are parameters that can be used to render correctly still. iRacing has somehow messed this up to the point where there's a setting with 4 values (1 off, 3 different types) to try to fix it. The claim is that this is related to SPS on Nvidia cards, but I still had problems even with SPS off. For me, I had to go to the WMR settings and enable NoInterEyeRotation which I assume tells the API that the game does not perform inter-eye rotation, but tbh, I have not found any documentation for what this actually does or means. This set of issues seems to be specific to the OpenVR implementation, as using Revive and the Oculus implementation is fine except for the performance hit.

Basically, I have little faith in the graphics engine devs, between this whole thing and the incredibly poor performance on certain maps in certain sections.

E: vvvv here is a reference on the iRacing forums: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3657475.page#11660018

Thanks past self! Getting everything set back up on the new PC and knew I was going to need this, and it was the first result for me on Google!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are you counting turns from the pacing start?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dangerllama posted:

So I guess I gotta learn Mount Panorama after having successfully put off doing so for years.

Is left turn, sweeping curves uphill into sharp left, into five miles of squiggles, into a long straight, into a kink, into a left turn not sufficient? (I probably missed a batch of squiggles or a kink or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I present myself for being pointed and laughed at. I am now a member of the 40pc club.