Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we got trump elected

Biden and "I did that" stickers, except ghost of lowtax and "goons did that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think they tested it in so much as they dropped one in a pool of water and it didn't immediately flood

whether it would work when dropped in the channel and you were totally blind and had limited time to reach the coast and then hope you can actually drive up and out... ehhh i would let someone else do it

It was used in action successfully in 1941 to cross some rivers in Russia or Poland.

Pz III's and IV's

KomradeX posted:

They bolted a snorkel onto a Panzer III, it didn't work

It worked. Probably wouldn't have worked in the Channel tho

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KomradeX posted:

Its really funny that Europe is less of a vassal state compared to Europe

Xi thought has infiltrated the thread

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Foot wraps are honestly better in a lot of rugged environments, but you need to know how to wrap properly and a lot of soldiers are dumber than their rifles, that kind of goes with every army.
Footwraps, if you know how to use them, are vastly superior to socks

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

does the H20 land on water?

Once

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I'm gonna scrum

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

(skipping some incidental material, but there are also sections that go into how abysmal the performance of the F-14 Tomcat was, despite what Top Gun might have you believe)

The early ones with the wrong engines, yeah?

They were missing something like a third of the designed thrust

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ardennes posted:

They can do damage, but not when they are being thrown into AD. The KA-52s do fine if they have at least a few kms between them and the front line, but one got recently got taken out by a MANPAD when it pushed too far up.

I wonder how large the engagement envelope is.

Looks like they've got maybe 2-3km to play with, where their missile can reach but they're out of range for most light anti air

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Danann posted:

Just realized that the M10 Booker Light Tank Combat Vehicle has the worse 105mm that can't fire the latest APFSDS that has a chance at defeating T-72s with ERA.

It's also only slightly lighter than a Patton (which can fire said APFSDS when it was in service) so where did all the weight go to. Is it supposed to only shoot at T-55s and naked T-72s because god forbid anyone put some ERA on their tank.

From the correct angle a Sherman Easy Eight could KO a t-72, or a Leopard or whatever

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

this guy would take prospective nuke officers out to eat and wait to see what they did with the salt. if they salted their meal without tasting it first to see if it even needed salt, he wouldn't hire them.

Good.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Now we got a bunch of captains eating oversalted eggs running their subs into underwater mountains and Japanese fishing vessels.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

This could be a surprise to some, but the war Russian-Ukraine war isn't over yet, despite what it might look like with the news coverage.

It's kinda been over since August

Sorta like ww2 was kinda over late 1941, and Napoleonic France in late 1812.

All that's left to do is some dying

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

Ukraine today isn't really running out of warm bodies

Not sure how you're getting this, given what we're seeing in terms of conscript demographics

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Does anyone have any basic primers\interesting quotes about Iraqi performance in Gulf War 1?

They were definitely outclassed, outnumbered and taken by surprise, but I would think that Iran-Iraq would have given them a decent amount of combat experience and helped work out organizational\doctrinal issues.

Their invasion of Kuwait was well ran, no?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

They aren't actually running out of ambulatory people they can shove towards the front (their population isn't that small). They are running out of the people they consider disposable and who can be persuaded or forced to enter the war.

My brother in christ, warfare isn't CoD.

A modicum of fitness and motivation is necessary to achieve anything like efficacy with your infantry

The fit and motivated well is running dry

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The Americans won Midway via airplane wave tactics" would be an incredible bit to troll with

But... we did?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you think the whitewall tyres are the same as the standard tyres but with appliqué, or do they have a production line and supply chain for whitewalls?

Regular (new) tires sprayed with a mask typrically

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jesus Christ gas this loving thread

If you can't take the heat get the gently caress out the kitchen

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at how fast a thread can implode

What loving thread are you reading?

E:

Slavvy posted:

?? You're the only one saying this

Dude is cracked and/or a poo poo stirrer. Glad we have an ignore feature

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Jan 26, 2024

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Danann posted:

IIRC weren't the latifundias functionally blackboxes that ate up the economy while contributing very little to the greater economy?

Didn't they produce the overwhelming majority of consumables that weren't from Egypt?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

(I'm also trying something new with the highlighting but idk if that looks better or worse than what I usually do)

EDIT: this is what the last segment would look like if I did it the old way

I think the old is easier to read tbh

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lol the gently caress is hat dude doing with aluminum mags

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DancingShade posted:

Literally attacking everyone in sight lol jfc

Lol not even the first of his dogs to do it.

The Oldest Man posted:

Nothing screams "dying empire" more than an ancient emperor who has clearly lost his ability to govern also losing his ability to keep his pets from mauling his own guards

Tremendous.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Don’t need a god king. Need a central planning bureau and a dictatorship of the proletariat.

Same difference

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

NATO really did seem to believe / does seem to believe that they can stage military forces against China while relying on China to produce the goods and deliver the trade that makes that possible, until the moment of NATO's choosing.

I mean, it worked for ze Germans in '41...

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Why do you buys entertain this clown xD

He has never nor will ever argue in anything approaching good faith.

Dudes a shitweasle and a waste of time, the worst sort of lob..

If you left him with a jar of peanut butter, he'd gently caress it.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Complications posted:

Grift. Theoretically, jetpack infantry could do some incredibly sick moves in very vertical environments like mountain regions and cities provided they have light enough jetpacks that let them carry heavy weapons and other useful poo poo. So the SF brained DOD has been drooling and companies detected opportunity. That jetpack just makes human skeet.

And any fuckup on approach is broken legs, blown knees, and bulged disks

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

God I love tanks.

I think the Pz IV, late G to early H model is the bee's knees.

More tanks should have turret skirts, like those and the T-55AM2, it's just a great look

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Holy poo poo, a trot!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

these people should be subjected to the clockwork orange treatment of a double feature of threads and the day after. if they aren't cured by that powers of ten shot of steve guttenberg in the gymnasium respice ward then there's no helping them

Don't forget When the Wind Blows

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Having highly restricted interests and having sensory peculiarities in ASD may possibly set the stage for developing fetishism and other paraphilias in individuals with certain sensory profiles among other factors. Non- sexual restricted, repetitive interests and behaviors in childhood may morph into sexualized, if not frank sexual, restricted, repetitive interests in adolescence. The same tactile or olfactory peculiarities manifested by various stereotypic behaviors seen in childhood may similarly influence the development of sexual behaviors later on. That is, early, inadvertent conditioning to sensory stimuli that is appealing during pre-puberty may lead to a powerful union between specific ASD sensory-seeking and sexual arousal through masturbation. This notion of early conditioning to deviant stimuli is not a new concept [51]; it just has not been isolated as a factor and empirically studied.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Morbus posted:

*me, after watching the ukraine/russia war intently for the last 2 years*

"you know, we'd really better get to work on self-propelled, autonomous 58mm robot cannons for use by special operators in entry operations"

I mean, he has a point.

If we sent over an arty bat, they'd be mulched inside of a month.

And the survivors crippled with red bag syndrome

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ardennes posted:

The issue isn't that they have identified problems...Western artillery is in some ways either behind or not ready for peer to peer conflict, it is just the solution of a fully autonomous SPG drone is a little bit out there if you want anything larger (which seems like a decade+ grift in the making).

I don't think we can create the conditions under which serious artillerywork could be conducted. Creating a permissive environment would require more gear and effort than we could sustain

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ardennes posted:

It is just it doesn't work under the current ideological framework where the state can't conduct actual direction and at best you could throw billions at some contractors to maybe do something in a decade or two.

There was talk about how bogus GDP is, and it is, but I would argue the US is also undercapitalizing on whatever industrial strength and resources it still has as well. Some of this is the limits of infrastructure, but even then it is really about ideology.

I mean, we practiced the wrong wars.

As a joke.

Even if we could turn on the spigot, we're behind the eightball and have no tolerance for casualties or bad news days.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Scarabrae posted:

she' a-yellen, but dey ain’t biden

Nice

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Read that Michael r. Gordon cobra ii book.

Heaven help us if we ever pick a fight with anyone near our weight.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Boat Stuck posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1777819316219494857

Can't do the obvious (increase wages) without lowering shareholder returns

Goddamn, look at how thick the sonar absorbent layer is on that bitch

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's turtle tank all the way down.

Hope they get crab claws going, two crab tanks locked in combat trying to flip one anther over would be amazeballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

If a country can deploy enough ocean scouting drones it will be more difficult for foreign submarines to travel near their coast and remain undetected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOueBTnS5w

Can't you detect submarines in shallow water by a ridge in the water, with milliband radar?

At least I started to read a paper on that once, will try to find it again

E: yep, 1mm hump at 100m and 5 knots, 1cm at 50m and 20 knots.

So real good for the Taiwan straight

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 08:26 on Apr 17, 2024