Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This show has had 7 main James Bond movie actors. Theyve all been the best actors in the show outside of Rob's wife and theyre all gone and thats the biggest issue with current show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, Lannisters are rich again because they stole all the Tyrell's money.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

So like, what's literally anyone's plan for breaking this news to Danerys, and how do they plan on backing up such a claim?

"Bran has the script and it says Jon is your nephew."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ugh, I didn't even consider Jaime meeting Bran and Dany. This show is just ridiculous fanservice.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Unnamed One posted:

I see D&D loved The Thing too

Tormund got flashbacks to that time he got infected by a Thing and got burnt, I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Its Coke posted:

Everyone I know is complaining but I loved everything in this episode lol

It was stupid as gently caress, but it was fun stupid instead of boring stupid. It's just diametrically opposite of the show it started off as. It's better than most stuff as a general show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

GRRM has said the fire thing with Dany was not a Targ thing any of them could do, but a particularly specific event

Not how it works in the show. But it is probably just Dany specific., I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I've been saying this all along, all the dark, gritty low fantasy stuff from the first seasons is just buildup to a wild high fantasy finish

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances, while the book/early seasons were about how decisions and chance basically screw over everyone and life basically fucks things over.

The biggest example is that book Brienne couldn't find the Stark girls but met both of them almost immediately on looking in the show. That was a "cute" change at the time, but then EVERYTHING started happening as convenient as possible like that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NowonSA posted:

As for telling Dany, I think Jon just gets that diary and then tells her. Very real possibility to just wait until the dead are taken care of to drop that bomb too, that would be my play in his shoes. Then if he's skeeved from the incest he can just kind of break off the romance one-sidedly, he's too important a figure for him not to stay a major power player in their alliance just because he broke her heart.

Jon's probably too drat honorable just like Ned so he's probably telling her next episode and giving her the evidence to prove it. They were already basically a shoe-in to get hitched if this big ol' bomb wasn't dropped, kind of the perfect situation for Dany marrying for both political influence and love, so this might not derail that plan depending on how squicked out they are. I could also see them agreeing to keep this top secret and still get married for appearances but end the actual romance and get romantic partners on the side, kind of the healthier version of what Cersei and Robert had going on, though that's pretty doomed to failure.

No way does Dany set aside those throne ambitions just because she's no longer the rightful Targ heir though, the happiest ending for the kingdom at large is probably Dany and Jon getting hitched and taking the throne while still making babies despite the incest, though man that's gotta take that coin flip on good targ rules from 50/50 to like 60/40 at least.

Safest prediction now though is probably that Jon or Dany die and the other gets the throne. Maybe whoever beats the Night King and dies in the process is the prince or princess that was promised, while the survivor is the one to actually take the reins of power. The new ruler gets the fame and glory while the much prophesied savior of the land is still an important figure, but isn't really celebrated as such. I see Dany as the one more likely to die, have her arc through the whole story be becoming Queen but when the chips were down she was willing to give that up to ride a Dragon on the frontlines and save the kingdom that betrayed and killed her family. She still breaks the wheel at least a little, hell maybe Jon's so fed up with all of it that he makes the kingdoms all independent, though that's just going to lead to more strife down the line, or maybe standing against the dead inspires people enough to live in peace with the living.

I'm stoked to see Bronn head up north too, I gotta figure one of the Lannister bros take him out in a sneak attack after he reveals why he's there, no matter how that breaks down it's going to be a fun scene. It's kind of the perfect ending for him to just show up and get killed by a Lannister because they know they can't trust him, complete his arc of being batted around by that family like a lion toy.

Targs are SUPER about incest - that's their entire family.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Karmine posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the bolded part, but I dunno, it makes sense to me that, when everyone is convening at Winterfell, people who haven’t seen each other in a while will see each other again and we can follow up on/resolve hanging threads of story.

Early, it was hugely about travel time and area, so people would miss each other due to that. Now people are around due to speed of plot.

Also, there are some little differences that became big now, like character replacements such as Gendry being connected to everyone now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

The universe was well built and expanded through the first several seasons. Now with every character's storyline converging towards one another, the writing would naturally bring more characters together. Sure it may be full of contrivances, but the universe is basically contracting rapidly into the finishing climax so I'm ok with getting everyone together by any means necessary, even if the writing isn't as strong as it was before.

That's why I call it stupid fun. I enjoy seeing people meet back up, but it's oh so silly. As I said in my last post, it wouldn't be so bad, but the character merging they did means that everyone basically met everyone at this point, which makes it a ridiculously tiny world.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Why did they settle of 6 episodes? Is the actor per-episode cost too high with the ensemble?

HBO started the "final season split" with Sopranos, and shows like Breaking Bad, etc. picked that up and it worked.

Basically, you budget out a shoot for one season, and then split it into two because you make more money overall spreading it out like that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahah Cersei’s elephant obsession is loving awesome

Elephants may be the best animal I ever met, Cersei is right yet again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

fishing with the fam posted:

Sad there wasn't a reunion scene between Varys and Littlefinger's corpse.

I wish Littlefinger was still around to try to manipulate stuff with all the crazy magic crap going on around him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

Bran's wheelchair shenanigans reminds me of Resident Evil 7 where this old lady in a wheelchair keeps showing up in a bunch of different places even though we never see anyone move

Personally I think this can't be a coincidence and they're setting up the reveal that Bran is also a big pile of villainous mold.

Does he have the same kind of plot armor, because I tried shooting her every time I saw her only to have the game not let me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

My counterpoint to this is that having Brienne wander around for like a book trying unsuccessfully to find two characters whose locations we know only to have it end on a cliffhanger ending is worse than something contrived happening so the plot can move forward.

I complained about that too and hated those sections of the book (I liked how it showed the perspective of regular townsfolk but also was annoyed in reading futile quests), but there is a nice middle ground between the two.

This isn't a love/hate dichotomy either, but just describing the difference in feel between the shows start and now. I still think its fun, just a different type of fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's amazing they shat all over his redemption arc last season so it could result in this. :effort:

Yeah, really, what was the point? Her capture didn't serve any narrative purpose, so, uh, huh?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry every GOT post I make is poo poo I forgot, but what was the dynamic between Bran and Jamie? Like, I remember Jamie paralyzed him by pushing him out the window while he was boning his sister, but why again doesn't everyone know Jamie did it and did Jamie know that he lived?

Also, I kind of forgot Jamie was probably the biggest pile of poo poo on the show for the first couple of seasons. Totally forgot he tried to murder a kid so he wouldn't be embarrassed. IIRC he got that fat kid killed too for reasons I no longer remember. Impressive that they managed to make him a fan favorite in the end.

Maybe I need to do a rewatch cause I'm mostly operating on vague memories at this point lol.

Jaime pushed him because he thought it was what Cersei wanted because the alternative would have probably been he, his sister, and his 3 kids being executed. Can't remember if the main Starks know now due to Brans script reading powers, but he could tell anyone he wants if he feels like it. Anyone else who knows that would matter is dead.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Max Von Sydow is not a disappointment. You can be disappointed that he wasn’t a horror show, but he’s better than a lot of things and quite frankly Bran could do a lot worse than learn from Blofeld.

This show has relied on James Bond actors from the start and we have none now. The best we have left is a John Wick villain.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

From what I remember:

1) Book Catelyn does the most stupid stuff starting with convincing Ned to become Hand
2) Rob does the second most stupid stuff mainly because he gets all SUPER NED HONORABLE PERSON in cases when he should be playing politics with his forces and then doesn't give a gently caress about honor when he wants a woman, then goes right back into super honor mode. Ned was honorable to a fault, whereas Rob was only honorable due to convenience
3) Ned is really stupid because he's all honor to the detriment of everything starting with the initial execution of the deserter being all about honorable leader being the executioner, and not about *why* he deserted

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

D-Pad posted:

It's explicitly stated that the warlocks had to rely on stuff like sleight of hand until the dragons were born and their real magic started working again. Magic being dead may have been the wrong term, more like dormant. But there was definitely very little of it until the dragons hatched and none to speak of in the 7 kingdoms.

Didn't Varys say the magic made with his severed dick worked? Can't remember.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I miss Daro Daro Ducksauce

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Here's where all the major characters are in the books as we last saw them. It's a real bummer.

Daenerys: captured by the Dothraki after fleeing Meereen

Jaime: being led into a trap by Brienne

Brienne: leading Jaime into a trap, after being coerced by the Brotherhood Without Banners

Jon: stabbed to death by the Night's Watch mutineers

Davos: heading to Skagos to find Rickon

Melisandre: at the Wall, still faithful to Stannis

Stannis: reported dead outside Winterfell, actually not

Theon: Stannis' prisoner after fleeing Ramsay with Jeyne, Ramsay's wife who was presented as Arya Stark to legitimize the Bolton's hold on the North

Asha (Yara): Stannis' prisoner after being defeated in battle by Stannis' forces

Ramsay: reported to have defeated Stannis outside Winterfell, actually didn't

Tyrion: outside Meereen, infiltrating a sellsword company to get an opportunity to meet Dany

Jorah: ditto above

Cersei: recently released from prison after completing her walk of shame

Margaery: still in prison for her alleged adultery

Sam: recently arrived at the Citadel

Bran: beginning his tutelage under the Three Eyed Crow, making his first forays into seeing the past

Arya: killing one of the men on her list in Braavos after spending time in a theatre company

Sansa: meeting her alleged groom-to-be Harry in the Vale, still posing as the bastard Alayne.

Littlefinger: grooming Sansa in the Vale

Varys: murdering Kevan Lannister while spouting his dogmatic belief in the leadership of the pretender Aegon

The Hound: reported dead, actually alive and at peace among a group of monks

Tommen: still king

Euron: preparing to invade the Reach using blood magic

Night's King: a myth

Are you counting the WoW chapters? Because last I remember, Arya was warging to cheat her tests.

Edit. Oh wait, you may be right as I may be reversing it. GRRMs WoW chapters came out so long ago I cant differentiate them from the 5th book.at this point.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 21, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how we needed two full episodes of reunions.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I might just turn the channel for a bit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Does anyone actually care about Jon and dany

I know a lot of women that care about Dany (and I make fun of them for it) but not a single one cares about Jon + Dany.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Okay, I laughed at Dany, so that scene was worthwhile.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

gently caress yeah we did. With a show with this giant-rear end cast, I might even go for three reunion episodes for the final season.

If it had been planned earlier, it would have been more spread out. Now it's like "lets do this and get to the action!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, its super obvious who will die next episode, now that characters have served their narrative purpose since the show is way more predictable than the source.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I was literally making a mental list of People Who Are Going To Die In The Next Couple Episodes. So far, I've got Theon, Ser Jorah, Jaime, Pod, and Davos.

Theon is WAY up at number one, because there is no loving WAY he survives a confrontation with the Night King in the godswood.

Jaime should be fine, I expect an ironic Cersei killing from him. Davos has no narrative purpose, nor does Jorah now so they're gone. Oddly, I think Theon is okay for a bit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sydin posted:

Jorah, Grey Work, Tyrion, and Theon are 100% gone. Kinda got vibes for Arya, Davos and Jamie too but we'll see. Everybody else is a coin flip. I assume Dany and Jon are gonna make it out at a minimum, also probably Sansa.

You guys are forgetting a lot of narrative beats in your death predictions, and the showrunners are predictable with those.

Bronn was sent to kill Jaime and Tyrion, there has to be drama there, so one or both have to live, for instance. Cersei has to meet one of her brothers again too. Etc.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sydin posted:

This episode built him up dying so hard. If he doesn't then I have no idea what the show even does with him. The writers clearly don't know how to write him smart any more, to the point where they realized they hosed up so bad they had to have several scenes this episode where characters go "Look Tyrion you've hosed up a ton but we know you're still SO SMART."

Nah, this episode telegraphed him making non bad advice/plans for the first time since Kings Landing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Where is Varys? I forgot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought Dany actually loved Daario but I guess he was a boy toy?

She didn't really trust him is the point, I think.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doltos posted:

I wouldn't trust anyone that changes into a completely different person

Oh crap, hes a Faceless Man

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doltos posted:

The quality started dropping off before the book material ended.

Yeah I felt physically uncomfortable watching that. Maisie Williams just looks so young.

Kinda. It's mostly when they ran into stuff that was half finished in book 4/5 and decided to make up new stuff or change things to try to meet the end conclusions for characters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

She doesn't look 12 at all she just has a very round head. When she makes any kind of facial expression besides boredom she definitely looks like she's in her 20s.

She'd also extremely short so I guess that plays into it as well. Gendry is like a good foot and a half above her.

They've been hiding her body growth by dressing her like a boy or ninja her entire time on the show so she doesn't look to age as much as everyone else and everyone still thinks of her as a girl. On top of that, a lot of people just don't like seeing people they knew as preteens having sex in general because they get natually paternal/maternal over them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

The shOw is fine, the books were fine except the 5th which was 100times worse than anything that's happened on the show post book.

I don't love the show, I'm here to see the only end we're gonna get.

5th book had the excellent Cersei POV and was thus better than the 4th

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

This also fascinates me. I'm sure plenty of people who complain about it complain because the show's gone in directions they don't like, which I get, because I felt that way about Hannibal season 3. It's for those people who seem to have not enjoyed the show for a long time that I don't get. I mean, I have enough of a problem finishing shows I actually like. And even when a show starts going in a direction I don't like (again, like Hannibal season 3), I just, you know, stop watching, because I don't have the time or inclination to watch a show that bores/upsets me. What attracts a pereson to watch a show that just makes them so angry all the time?

Shows can get so bad theyre funny enough to hatewatch - Dexter

Shows can be bad but still surprise you with legitimately great episodes - Westworld S2

Game of Thrones is like the latter, along with the added bonus of people who read the books wanting to know the cliffnotes of how GRRM wrote the endings of characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

I actually liked seeing her nude body, I know, I'm a monster.

Her body doubles nude body. Deflate that energy.