Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

reminding me of that article Amber wrote about how she hates masks and it's weird that some people actually like wearing masks (no one likes it, they do it because they are trying to do the right thing).

that was from back in May.

not going to lie, but I kind of like the idea of wearing masks in public

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thank u for this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

i remember completely misunderstanding the movie as a kid, thinking "oh, he has no war or enemy to fight so he has to overcompensate by abusing the people under his command to death, and no one can punish him because that's essentially the state of the entire armed forces writ small, that's interesting, and sad"

even at that age i had seen a lot of movies where murderers say "you don't understand, i had to do it." i had even seen Videodrome, with the immortal line where the traitorous coward gives his best freudian justification for joining the enemy: "america is getting soft, and the rest of the world is getting very hard."

in conclusion, "sorkin my dick"

North America's getting soft, patrón, and the rest of the world is getting tough. Very, very tough. We're entering savage new times, and we're going to have to be pure and direct and strong, if we're going to survive them. Now, you and this cesspool you call a television station and your people who wallow around in it, your viewers who watch you do it, they're rotting us away from the inside. We intend to stop that rot.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

entertainment for literal babies and a way to sell toys

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hooplah posted:

i'd say read a book but

:guillotine:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Grevling posted:

A big hoo-ha was made about Mike Duncan becoming "radicalized" by doing the revolutions podcast but what did that consist of? Becoming an "ancom" who believes in russiagate and was planning on voting for Warren.

he completed the Warren voter trajectory by dropping Warren and scolding for Biden

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

There are 81 representatives in the House Progressive Caucus. The fact that not even any five of those 81, including the supposed most left members, can be bothered to apply pressure to the dems speaks volumes for their supposed progressive views. When the progressives do start talking or pressuring, their focus is against the left and their stated goal is to stifle any progress outside of appeals to work within the system. Dore is demonstrating that this is true and remains true and will be true in the future. Regardless of the success or failure of M4A, he has been successful in getting the progressives to show to the world that they fight the hardest against progress.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gripweed posted:

If you believe that the Republicans will sweep the midterms in 2022, then why do you want AOC to lay the groundwork for primary challenges now? If it's successful and we get a bunch of better Dem candidates in 2022, wouldn't that backfire spectacularly when they get trounced by Republicans in the general?

one of the marvelous things about this particular brain worm is that it implicitly discards the notion of any "pushing biden left" happening before 2022

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gripweed posted:

He really should've just shown his daughter how to use a can opener.

I don't have children but isn't a big part of parenting and the joy of parenting teaching your child something new?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thotsky posted:

Remember, up until then Trump had enjoyed quite a bit of support in his party, among police and military, and tactic approval from capital / the media elite by allowing him to stoke the fires on a daily basis. Also, far right coups are kor exactly unprecedented... It was very unlikely that a coup would succeed as Trumps influence took a major blow after the election loss, and because of how balkanized the US is, but I don't think it is delusional to have a dramatic reaction to the attempt.

also trump is pathologically incapable of the kind of focus or commitment or avoidance of self sabotaging necessary to pull off a coup.

if he had any of those virtues he would have just been able to win the election normally. if trump had given the people money in october he would have won in a historic landslide. this probably never occurred to trump as an option.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

one of Amnesty Intel’s founders, Luis Kutner, was working with the CIA and FBI. He set up Fred Hampton to die:

The contrast between those paragraphs lol.

iirc, that hungarian cardinal was the guy the CIA tried to advance as the president/premier of Hungary during the Hungarian Revolution.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thotsky posted:

lol there certainly has been a small uptick in people complaining about cspam lately, from both D&D types upset about the supposed uncivility of the posters here, to GBS types upset about the supposed sensitivity of our mods

love to see it

Trump was a font of pure content unlike anything we will ever see again. It is going to take a while for CSPAM to come down from that four year high.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

whenever people around my age (30ish) say they enjoy wait wait don’t tell and find it humorous......... i am at a loss for words.......... how

this reminds me of when liberal superhero James Comey was a special guest on the show

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Clibanarius posted:

https://twitter.com/JackDunc1/status/1361430171413344257

what in the mother of loving poo poo

Can someone go re-colonize the British Isles, please? I don't care if it's China, India, a unified pan-Africanist coalition, the Global South unified under the banner of Maoist Third-Worldism, the goddamn Greys from Beta Reticulae. Whoever. Just go and subjugate them. Deny them agency as a population until they've proven themselves improved enough to be classifiable as 'human being' again. Jesus motherfucking Christ.

sad thing is that their leaders are too much poisoned by neoliberalism to do any of this. conservatives could dole one or two of these out an election cycle and stay in power for 40 years

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

well it is all ratios so it should make you rationally angry

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Protagorean posted:

idk bro what was your theory again?

is he wrong though?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

post the title message of the most recent PM youve received

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Even Last Podcast on the Left pretty muvh realized that McVeigh 100% had help or was just used by the White Power movement

iirc, Jose Padilla was identified as someone in McVeigh's circle

bedpan has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Mar 8, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

if god doesn't exist then how did he send us Karl Marx?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

drinking a few cold ones while taking a nice hot shower sounds really nice

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i think I know what my task for the day is going to be

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I was working backward in the Podcasting is Praxis catalog and got to their 2020 election analysis. I had to turn the podcast off when one of the hosts sincerely put forward the idea that Noam Chomsky scolded for biden not because he was going to vote for biden, but purely as PR so that other people would vote for biden, and that this was smart and good.

All the episodes can't be winners I guess. Whenever I hear someone begin claiming that the existential fascist threat can only be averted by voting for joe biden, I think of the squirrel lady scolding video.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

There's a subset of leftists who sort of have leftist values/goals in a broad sense, but do so from a perspective that is still defined by liberal narratives.

The main result of this is people buying into the idea that we have to support Democrats because of the existential threat of fascists.

It was fascinating, but not very enjoyable, to hear from the mouth of a leftist political comedy podcaster a ferocious defense of Joe Biden. I despise individuals who scolded for joe biden. All of the leftist commentary on society and politics was just a mask and beneath that was the same old liberal seen everywhere else.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Help! A cute girl I know recommended the "No Stupid Questions" podcast and I'm finding it to be exactly what I would have expected out of the Freakonomics crowd. I don't want to tell her this though. What should I do?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Introduce her to Dr Richard Wolff's podcast, economic update.

Dick Wolf?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im listening to this right now.

THS posted:

patiently explain the tenants of marxism, refute her arguments, etc

what about hand copying the text of "combat liberalism" onto nice rag paper and with a good fountain pen? or is that too forward?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

"there's no stupid questions, but there are stupid podcasts. In this email I am going to, using only facts and logic, educate you..." you got it from there

what does the immortal science of marxism-leninism say about a girl crossing her arms and leaning away from you. this is good, right? it means she is awed by the strength of my dialectic prowess?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my fav JFK conspiracy is that the shot that killed him came from a Secret Service agent who dropped or accidentally fired their gun

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Listening to "Well There's Your Problem" and it is pretty good. Two annoyances though is the host with the chronically clogged nose and when the hosts go on extended riffs. DoNotEat01 is normally pretty good at getting the other hosts back on topic though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Figureheadism must be universally rejected. Falling in line behind politicians without question only makes us another liberal non-profit rather than a nexus of leftist organizing. Healthy skepticism and distance between our organization and candidates seeking our endorsement allow us to remain independent, avoiding the pitfalls of other organizations that ‘hitch their cart to a horse

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Xaris posted:

DNE Is good but Alice is really not the right fit for it. I like her a fair bit in TRASHFUTURE (a good pod), but just the wrong energy for WTYP. I think DNE's best stuff is his solo-work myself, although I understand the appeal of having co-hosts but some of my favorite pods are like MSJ's Death is Just Around The Corner, richard wolff's economic update, or gh0stpinstaball's Ghost Stories for End of the World, and they're just 1-man shows and I think would be worse with active co-hosts trying to joke around. i think WYTP would probably be better served by say... the energy and dynamic of Car Talk hosts. basically just clone DNE and put it on as a co-host.

WTYP would be worse if I couldn't listen to it on my computer and jump past tedious derails and riffs. Alice is not so bad on some episodes, but on others I've stopped far before the end because I was tired of her commentary.

Economic Update is great stuff. So is Ghost Stories for the End of the World. Ghost Stories is coming back in June, btw. Agreed with both of these shows being stronger because there is just one host. The host being independently able to speed up or slow down their narriative or emphasize how they wish is a noticeable advantage over a multihost format.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Apr 14, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

im still waiting for a "Gauche Stories" podcast about fashion mistakes and criminal savoir faire failures.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dreylad posted:

i think our society was better when we didn't know every intimate detail of interpersonal drama about the shock jocks we listen to

an unavoidable consequence of alienation and the rise of parasocial relationships

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the dollop is the finest of what google and wikipedia has to offer for "history" class as researched by an aging standup comedian, and then riffed on by another standup who reuses the same unfunny improv over and over

garth is the worst part of the Dollop, by far. he wouldn't be so bad if he could just stay away from the extended riffs and be a reply guy. the advance by 30 seconds button gets a lot of work on any dollop episode.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this goon is probated for 16 days still. I followed their advice. Chatted with the same very cute girl about podcasts again earlier. I suggested "Economic Update" and she was more interested when I mentioned it was a "Marxist" podcast; she is turns out is from Venezuela and has a complex relationship with the subject.

anyway I have her phone number and she seemed excited to see me again in the future

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol if this works better than Obama's fake bullshit

lmao. the gals at occidental college saw right through him and shut him down time after time

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

she's going to murder you on behalf of the cia, op

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol if this works better than Obama's fake bullshit

I've texted with this same very cute girl about coming over to my place to talk about historical materialism. She seems very interested, I'll talk with her later today and see if that interest is still there.

Thank you Karl Marx and Richard "Dick" Wolff.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

I wish Peter Dale Scott had gotten around to doing his book about deep state politics through history. Iirc he was going to look at Rome, Greece, 30 years war, civil war US etc. It would have been a useful way to contextualise the JFK hit and take a bit of heat out of the scorching, apocalyptic Takes about it.

https://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/opensecret.htm

Francis E Dec talks about this, oddly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

what is the stage beyond farce?