Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Megasabin posted:

I've never played Fire Emblem. If I'm solely interested in the srpg gameplay and don't really care about the story will this be a solid purchase? I know it isn't out yet, but I'm guessing long time fans can get a feel based on what they've seen.

To be honest this looks like it’s gonna be the most atypical game of the series so far, not that that’s a bad thing since it all LOOKS interesting but Fates looked interesting too, so it’s hard to say but probably just wait for reviews as we get closer to the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I know this isn’t the general FE thread but I kinda want to avoid that thread for spoilers so hopefully y’all can help me out.

I asked in the switch thread and no one was sure.

I’m terrible and I don’t like when people get ganked over some bullshit.

You have to choose Casual when you start a new save, sorry. Fates was the one that came up with letting you downgrade your difficulty on the fly

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I always think it's funny when people say "wow I can't believe Ferdinand/Lorenz/Felix actually have good supports!" like what did you think they were going to make a small group of totally unlikable characters that they intended everyone to hate? Of course they're going to open up eventually. The characters that people don't like are the ones who they made lovely on accident (Caspar) or boring on accident (Lorenz)

Raserys posted:

caspar owns actually

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also axes are nice for fist users for strong enemy phase counters, but that might just be me

Edit: efb

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 16, 2019

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

Did they really twist Hubert around? I feel like his gimmick was played extremely straight the whole game.

It’s not really a twist imo, but it kinda does turn things around a tad when you do his Byleth support chain and find out that most of the reason he obsessively hovers over her and is willing to do anything to protect her is because he blames himself for the whole “horrific experiments” thing and is basically doubling down because he’s constantly trying to prevent her getting hurt again.

But also Hubert absolutely owns the dark mage aesthetic and it’s pretty great

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Cool cool. People always bang on about certain Stats not being "good", but on Maddening I definitely appreciate all of them growing. Funnily enough, Speed actually seems lessuseful as all enemies now have much higher Dex and Speed.

Speaking of - is there a resource online that breaks down that Stats in detail? Ie, 1 point Dex = +.75% Accuracy or something?

From what I can tell of the ingame: Dexterity = Base Hit before weapon accuracy and skills, and Evasion = Attack Speed (so Speed minus weight penalties) + skill/terrain boosts. Serene s Forest is the most reliable resource for Fire Emblem and that didn’t have anything so idk about Charm’s effect on Gambit’s Hit/damage

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

What is so good about vantage?

I've been playing this game about 180 hours and I just realized holding B will let you run in the monastery... :suicide:

Vantage pairs well with certain other skills, namely Wrath/Battalion Wrath, which is something crazy like +40 Critical under 50% HP on enemy phase. Also not sure if it counts for Desperation, which makes it even better if it does

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Great Lord has objectively worse stats than Barbarossa, unless you think that 3HP and 1Luck is worth 1STR, 5 DEX, 1 DEF, 2 MVT. Dimitri also has barely better stats than Claude and worst ones than Edelgard's.

Emperor having -4 SPD and 5 Move is kinda bad, and it having magic growth is a slap in the face given it doesn't have either magic casting or weight modifier. Still, it means Edelgard is the best lord both res wise, gambit wise, and for magic weapons, which can be useful. There is a solid argument for Emperor being the only lord final class being worse than an advanced class, though :(

I’d argue that Emperor is worse than Armored Lord because Edelgard’s custom armor gown is a very good look.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, it’s kind of a subjective thing but her hair preskip hair looks like a mop (which makes sense since she’s a shut in) so it was really nice seeing her postskip design where she clearly makes an effort to take care of herself like an adult (also there are still a few mop strands which I think is real cute).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Conquest is extremely solid in terms of gameplay, and the plot is so ridiculous it spins right back to amazing, whereas the other two paths are just boring.

OTOH, Conquest also decided Wary Fighter Golems was a good idea instead of horribly unpleasant, so “solid” is a bit of a stretch.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It's great that there's now a female accessible class specializing in brawling, and yet...

They still have not been able to figure out how to position the weapon models to account for female characters' shorter arms. This kills me every single time I notice it.

Maybe I’m just dumb, but why don’t they handle it like shields where they look different based on the class and make separate fist models for female units?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sure he may be good gameplay wise, but he seems like a doofus and the whole father pretending to be his daughter's brother is... what

Makes sense to me, Flayn looks like she’s fourteen and Seteth probably isn’t meant to look older than his early twenties so it stands out more if they claim to be daughter/father. Plus it’s supposed to throw people off, which is important given you get birthday notifications for them on Saint Cichol/Cethlehann(?) Day

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also the stat turns into a strength, which a few students really appreciate (Dorathea really likes having Faith magic being turned from a weakness to a strength). A lot of the skills you get with them can be eh (I think one is Seal Movement lol) so maybe just look up which ones are okay on Serenes Forest since it’s always super light on plot spoilers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Is there any way to quickly see whether my units are ahead or behind the curve stat-wise? I have the impression that my Edelgard and Ferdinand have had really good level ups since they barely take physical damage and dish out a ton in return + have good speed, but I'm not sure if that's just confirmation bias or whether they're ahead of where they should be at level 20.

Serenes Forest used to to that for older games but they stopped making them with Awakening (and they don’t even have the total class + character growths for Fates/Echoes which kinda sucks) but the general rule is that if your guys match the enemy’s level and curb stomp them that they’re pretty goddamn good.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/growth-rates/

These are the growth rates so you can just punch in the numbers, add them to their base stats (https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/base-stats/) and see if you’re really curious. (Also classes affect growths but the basic/intermediate ones only have a slight impact). Edelgard’s base strength is stupidly high though so her hitting like a bulldozer is the rule rather than the exception.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I feel like it’s best if Heal gave like. Half the exp of a kill. Or maybe even all the exp of a kill.

Part of the issue is that a fighting unit on average gets at least one kill a phase, some times more if they can tank the enemy phase. Meanwhile a starting healer can get 11 exp a player phase and that’s it.

Healers don’t really exist in the conventional sense in 3H tho. There are units that the game gives a Faith proficiency but not a Reason one (all two of them, accounting for hidden talents), and Bishops are better at healing than other classes, but even bishops can just learn reason stuff anyway and even learn Fiendish Blow if you know to pick it up

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I was kind of bummed out that we never get to meet Count Bergliez. Especially in non-CF routes, he's this big existential force that freaks Caspar out constantly, but he never pops up. I would've loved to see a battle between him and Nader because just by how he's described, he's probably just as battle hardened and fight-happy. Like, I easily imagine him as the classic anime dad. Just like the main character but like...more so! Caspar cranked up to 11. :allears:

I remember in one of the post-release interviews that the devs said they deliberately wrote Hilda’s super strong brother that was singlehandedly keeping the Almyrans at bay to never appear because it was more realistic not to encounter every super strong guy ever even across four routes. It’s a mentality I appreciate a lot, thinking about it, even if I am super curious about guys like Count Bergliez and Holst.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:argh: dammit. I thought I remembered that being possible

If you’re going out of your way to do it for feeding kills or something, technically you can unequip the guy if they haven’t used their turn since iirc a unit changing their own inventory doesn’t use a turn (it’s only when someone alters an ally’s inventory that they have to use their turn to wait/attack)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

I thought the main unit always got the kill exp regardless of who actually landed the finishing blow?

Yeah that is the case but if you’re, like, trying to feed a kill to Unit C and Unit A’s attack leaves the enemy with like 2 HP then it’s usually annoying when Unit B swoops in on a 20% dual strike proc

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly they might as well put in fixed growths as an option at least if we’re at the point where growths are rigged to avoid zero-stat levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s pretty obvious that Echoes levels are rigged because the growths are so much lower than awakening/fates but you’ll always get at least +1 to HP.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought she kept the age thing from coming up by “retiring”, leaving the public eye for a period of time while delegating, and then introducing the new pope Rhea XX. Also there’s the part where her being a space dragon in humanoid form as the explanation is so loving crazy that most people probably just go, “well, it can’t actually be that something like that is the reason they all look/sound/act the same”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s wild because even freaking Fates got rid of same turn Lunatic reinforcements, and Conquest Lunatic is probably some sadistic horseshit even without tampering with enemy stats compared to Hard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Do people who play Maddening use Renown to boost their skill levels or is that considered cheating.

The fact that you get an extra little cosmetic thing on the title for doing it without NG+ means it’s definitely something they wanted you do unless you were really sure how good at Fire Emblem/tedium tolerance you are, imo.

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

edit: also the mock battle is genuinely very hard on maddening, because it's before you can unlock any of the tools that mitigate difficulty. It's like a brick wall of tedium, because patiently baiting out enemies one by one to chip them down is just really boring, and not fun difficulty, so I don't blame anyone for calling it there. The DLC was a fun level of difficulty because there were elements that encouraged speed and risky extensions, and the maps were purpose-built rather than having to function for five different paralogues and three story chapters.

Honestly I have no idea why they decided the mock battle wasn’t hard enough on Maddening without taking a deployment spot away compared to Hard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zoran posted:

They didn’t do this

Oh my mistake, I honestly haven’t played Hard since the game came out and remembered people complaining about it, sorry for spreading misinformation

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Axes do kinda struggle with accuracy, especially without a conventional weapon triangle to coast on.

At least it’s not Binding Blade!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inu posted:

Lorenz grew on me a lot too. He's obsessed with nobility and his role as one, but I think what saves him from being a total self-centered douche is that he seems to genuinely believe in the ideals he preaches, and is willing to accept the duties along with the privlege. I felt the same way about Ferdinand.

I haven’t seen a lot of Lorentz’s supports but I really like Ferdinand because it very quickly becomes obvious that even if he’s proud of being a noble he doesn’t think he’s better than anyone because of it, and that being born special just means he was lucky. I also like that he has to deal with the revelation that his rival dynamic with Edelgard is not only one-sided, he’s not even in the same league as her (even if it’s inconvenient gameplay-wise).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
For weapons I think it’s the latter, and I wanna say the former for armor/riding/flying; as long as you’re in a class with one of those it gains a point per fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I just picked this up because it finally got the $40 threshold which I can recoup most of if it's not for me (my suspicion, never played any FE games and not into anime, generally). I chose golden deer (prefer ranged play but during the tutorial I couldn't figure it how to tell the range of my attackers, lot more to learn obviously) but it's there anything I should know before playing? I feel like there's a million characters and I don't know if there are particular ones to try to recruit, etc. I'm pretty casual and rarely play through games more than once so games like this give me FOMO.

Any settings I should turn off? I'm more into action RPGs so might turn off the combat animations to try and speed things up.

If you’re not on Maddening the game is pretty easy going as far as not loving up tbh. Most people agree that it adds more to not recruit a whole bunch of people on your first playthough, at least the ones from other houses, but if you really don’t want to miss out on side quests some characters from other houses are needed (but there’s still plenty just with the characters you already have).

Also, X is for enemy ranges and clicking on an enemy highlights their effective range.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf I can sort of see how that would be hard, or at least so much of a pain to have all the mounted models do, that you’d just say gently caress it, which sucks cause just about the only thing more rad than a guy riding a dragon wielding an axe is a guy with gauntlets.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Hello it's me, the guy still mad armored lord/emperor can't cast magic

Edelgard has the least unique personal class and it's so sad. Like, claude obviously has wyvern lord but with bowfaire and bowrange, dimitri has the only infantry lance class, and edelgard has... fortress knight with +1 movement. Wow.

I’m not mad but it’s pretty dumb/annoying since, like, being armored isn’t like flying where you exchange a bow weakness for being busted as poo poo, being armored is basically just something (some) tanky units get slapped on them so they’re more manageable as NPCs. Also yea, the arvis thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah constant crits is a pretty legit goal, at least now that making Caspar one doesn’t preclude losing his War outfit in the Warrior class.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

Wary Fighter was so cool.

Yeah but tbh I’ll take it not existing over slapping it on every golem and every other general in Conquest because gently caress you. If it just made it harder to double, on the other hand...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inu posted:

The way they kept referring to Holst, but never showing him, even having him get sick from eating a bad mushroom, made me think that it was a very purposeful decision to leave him to the player's imagination. No matter how they had portrayed him, he couldn't have been as tough and invincible as we all imagine him to be from never actually seeing him.

Crimson Flower and Azure Moon get their own special units, so they definitely should have made Judith playable. And then maybe we could have S supported her with Balthus for the true happy ending.

According to interviews yeah, that’s pretty much the why Holst never makes an ingame appearance; the devs said that if every super badass in the world doesn’t appear then it makes the story feel more natural.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inu posted:

It really is, but I do it anyway.

Playing rogue-lites taught me not to do it as much, but I think it's still an ingrained habit from all the JRPGs I played back in the day where you could power through by being over-leveled, thereby negating the need for items.

Yeah, most RPGs are made around the expectation that you use powerful healing items instead of hoarding them but then don’t push you enough that you’d want to heal up your MP mid-fight or heal all your HP and not just like 2/3. I think Binding Blade Hard is what broke me out of that mentality, because it’s not like the hardest thing ever in a post-New Mystery Reverse Lunatic world but it’s still enough that I just stopped doing the bad Fire Emblem gameplay habits. Well, a lot of them, I still promoted at level 20...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf a lot of the games make gameplay changes on the higher difficulties like how in FE12 the Warp staff just doesn’t exist on Lunatic along with the Silver Card iirc, so I can understand why it’s not just a higher/lower difficulty toggle like most games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Henry dresses like a normal JRPG wizard, just with leggings instead of pants. You do mow down like a billion plegians that are covering less up than Tharja tho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The hair buns really sell the whole “evil JRPG empress” vibe she’s trying to cultivate, tbh. At least given that it’s kinda easy to miss that her dress is basically an ornate suit of crimson armor like the primary antagonist of Mystery of the Emblem.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She’s not wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm starting to think that marrying the villain and killing God might not have been the intended primary first run route of the game.

Psh, the previous game ends with you killing God, that’s just oldschool Fire Emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

Manuela is strange because I genuinely don't know enough about Japanese culture to understand her core conflict, like I guess women who aren't good at cleaning up are considered un-marriageable or something? They keep being like "you date too many people and your bedroom is too messy to be married" but I don't understand why that's true and every time it comes up characters are like "well Manuela your personality sucks" without ever getting into why it sucks. But it doesn't matter much because on CF you can marry her to Ferdinand who ends up being a house husband while she takes over as prime minister and that's okay with me.

I don’t think it’s a Japanese culture thing, I think it’s more that stuff mentioned combined with her being an alcoholic and just generally giving off the vibe of being a lowkey mess. Or in other words, the C-Rank Cyril support. :v: