Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The current gay male S-ranks are Linhardt, Alois and, I think, Gilbert and Jeritza? That does not strike me as dedication to any sort of archetype, and is a massive step up from the rest of the series which has one gay option per sex and both are with sociopathic sex pests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I made Felix my dancer on my second playthrough, and even though he only very begrudgingly agreed to do so, I'm sure he enjoys being an unkillable dodge tank who also looks fabulous. Plus I showed him the secrets of Reason and he just asked if I could let him be a Mortal Savant one day. Which I may, because that's also a pretty fab lookin' class.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Booky posted:

when will we get an fe with all axe users on the same team? :v:

Someone making this exact wish on a monkey's paw is the best explanation for Revelations that I can imagine.

Endorph posted:

Rhajat being a sociopathic sexpest is a lie forced on you by the homophobes at treehouse.

I honestly do not care about Rhajat enough to contest this. The important thing is that we can all agree that Niles is the worst.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conquest is extremely solid in terms of gameplay, and the plot is so ridiculous it spins right back to amazing, whereas the other two paths are just boring.

I'm still not over the scene where Corrin tells Azura she's going to tell her handlers she's gonna do war crimes to get them off her back, and Azura absolutely losing her poo poo in the next scene because Corrin told her handlers she was gonna do war crimes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm currently playing through Verdant Wind (having completed Crimson Flower) and it's kind of insane how much Claude sucks compares to Edelgard. Not in some grand judgment of their respective philosophies, so much as his complete absence of a personality beyond harping on one of his three character traits. At this point I'm only playing on because I must be about to hit some of the lore stuff that gets glossed over on Crimson Flower.

On a sorta unrelated note, Seteth is a fantastic character. I have yet to read a single support conversation of his that isn't perfect.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FoolyCharged posted:

*battle of the eagle and lion*
Claude: hey guys, wouldn't it make it easy to win if we set that hill on fire?
Everyone::stonk:
Claude: ... I was just kidding of course. Doing that could hurt someone! I was definitely kidding!

*Five years later*
Everyone::supaburn:
Claude:...that was MY scheme...

In one of the early VW maps (I think 14, the one that’s just chapter 12 again), you can guide an NPC to a capture point, and if you do Claude will set half the map on fire.

It’s also one of two schemes you actually see happen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know what games you played, but Ike has no romantic interest in Soren whatsoever. You're seeing something that isn't there.

Ike has one romantic interest, and that's Ranulf.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cobbsprite posted:

This is even funnier because the benefits of ranking out with both the Commoner and Noble classes are just ... a +5HP buff skill. It's like there's a very quiet statement there that being a noble or a commoner doesn't really matter, they're the same in the end which means Edelgard has a point.

Also ... a hundred new replies and NONE of them were about Edelgard being the best or the worst? Am I actually coming to the gay dead forums for CIVILITY again?

There is actual one difference between the Commoner and Noble classes. Commoner uses a character's base growths, but Noble gets a +5% Charm growth.

Cythereal posted:

I'll be standing over here next to the pegasi, mages, magitek robots, and dragons.

This is the dumbest, most insincere criticism there is. I'm not sure you've actually played the game at all.

Though one thing I do enjoy about 3H is that literally anyone can learn magic and everyone has a unique spell list. I made Petra a Mortal Savant one playthrough because she maxed out her sword rank super early, and while she was never a stellar spellslinger, she was my only caster to learn Saggittae.

E: Edelgard is the best Lord in terms of stats and gayness

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Edelburger

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only played Crimson Flower followed by Verdant Wind, and this is what I took away:

There is absolutely no way Rhea's retelling of the War of Liberation is the full truth. There's a neat telephone game twist in the emperor's secret being that Nemesis was never corrupted, meaning that he was always a bad guy, but Edelgard taking it to mean he was never one, but the rest of it doesn't add up. The history of Fódlan tells us that it was being ravaged by wicked gods (the dragon people), who were cast down by Nemesis before he, himself became an oppressor. Then Seiros teamed up with the first Hresvelg and slew Nemesis, uniting Fódlan under the first Adrastian empire. If Rhea's version of events, wherein the dragon tribe was kind and benevolent, is accurate, there is absolutely no reason for history to remember him as a hero. Even if they were kind of shady people and it was a grey area sort of conflict, Seiros was in a position to rewrite history as she saw fit.

The story only works if the populace of Fódlan actually viewed the fall of Zanado as a liberation, which ushered them from an age of darkness. Rhea is sort of oppressive on white clouds, executing anyone who openly defies her doctrine and nixing history books she doesn't want people to uncover, and becomes totally monstrous on Crimson Flower, seeing Dimitri and friends as pawns to toss in your path, and locking the people of Fhirdiad in the city and setting it on fire, in the hopes that them burning to death will inconvenience you. You could charitably read these actions as reasonable extremes coupled with the trauma of being defied by Byleth, who was supposed to be her mom and bring the family back together, sure. You could also view them as the actions of someone who sees humans as little more than pets, cute enough on their own and you certainly love to dote on them, and they can do some fancy tricks if you train them right, but they'll never be as valuable as a sapient being such as yourself. Given the way Nemesis is remembered, I don't think Rhea is the first dragon to float slaughtering entire cities for her own safety.

Then there's a smattering of characters who actually lived through that age and do not paint one complete picture. Cichol stands by Seiros' side through everything (but bails before the city burning bit) and is a thoroughly decent person who is capable of loving humanity. Macuil is just jaded and does not give a gently caress about humans or dragons, and is upset that Byleth "stinks" of Sothis, but what that means and whether he's just scarred by the war is never discovered. Thales and the Agarthans are clearly bad dudes, but we never actually get to the bottom of them. What is "the secret of their bodies?" Why do they resent Sothis and her children for "stealing their light?" Zombie Nemesis is similarly a motherfucker, and if he is actually the reincarnation of Nemesis who was always like that, the 10 heroes were bad dudes. But we also meet Maurice, who was part of Nemesis' army and got corrupted into a black beast, which should make him the worst dude, but he just wants you to kill him so he can stop terrorizing people and find peace.

In conclusion, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a land of contrasts.

I'm saving Azure Moon for when the DLC drops and then maybe doing a last hurrah Black Eagles run where I recruit everyone for Silver Snow and then Crimson Flower with everyone on the correct side.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Holy Knight is a pretty terrible upgrade to Bishop, because you're giving up Uses x2 and Heal +10 for White tomefaire and extra movement, yeah.

It's a decent enough upgrade to Paladin, though. You're giving up a bit of HP and strength for resistance and magic, and you're sacrificing Lancefaire for access to magic. It's not a straight upgrade, but no one with a riding talent is bad at faith, and if you're using Ferdinand on a horse and not making him a holy knight, what are you even doing?

Obviously, if you're min-maxing, you're making all your mounted physical characters into bow knights or fliers, but at that point you also won't have a Mortal Savant cutting their way through medieval Germany with hanzo steel and Thoron No Jutsu, and if that's where you're at, I'm not sure you're properly enjoying the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ROFL Octopus posted:

Paladin Ferdinand is perfectly thematic and Lancefaire Swift Strikes is just :discourse:

Same with Sylvain tbh

Paladin is fine for teenage Ferdinand, but adult Ferdinand grows a luxurious mane of hair for one reason only, and that is his deep-seated desire to wear a cape into battle.

You are a monster if you deny him his glorious cape.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You get a follow-up attack if your Attack Speed is at least 4 higher than whoever you're fighting. Attack speed is one of your derived combat stats, listed as "AS" somewhere in the stat window.

If you wanna do the math, your attack speed is your speed stat minus the weight of your equipped weapon (and shield, if applicable), but every 5 points of strength lets you ignore 1 point of weight.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If they want to stick to the theme, they could just call the dudes Einherjar.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I made Hilda an armor knight and gave it to her with the crest item thingy, and it was pretty good. She wasn't as invincible as Edelgard, and in retrospect it was obvious that Hilda wants to be a warrior or wyvern lord, but it worked out.

Thankfully, Hilda's proper class of choice will be dropping in a couple days, and I won't have to make that mistake again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I doubt he's a uniquely good dancer like Ferdie, but I made him one and the sword avoid skill made him an ace dodge tank.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, all we get to see Rhea doing during White Clouds is executing every single soldier following Lonato's insurrection and deliberately getting rid of any historical text discussing dragons.

It makes no sense that nobody thought to just ask her nicely to stop being an immortal god-tyrant subtly influencing Fódlan's political developments to ensure she was always in charge. She obviously would have acquiesced without a fight.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Sword of the Creater and Crest of Flames are both legendary items from a bygone era, where they were the symbols of the goddess blessing a champion to cut down evil.

Their plan was to put both in the hands of Edelgard and point her at the church, because that'd mean she had a mandate from Sothis herself to cut down the church of Seiros, which would make it a lot easier to garner popular support for the war.

Edelgard may or may not have been on board with that plan, but noped right out when what appeared to be an actual champion of the goddess showed up at the same time, and declared war on the merits of her own beliefs instead, which put Fearghus straight in the church's camp and made her have to contend with Claude and the Alliance's far more mercenary attitude.

E: The main thing that changes in chapter 12 is that if Byleth is with her, she doesn't bring any Slitherers for the assault on the monastary, which means Rhea gets away. On VW and SS, they seem entirely unaware that she's scheming to cast them down until Hubert spills the beans post-mortem, while in Crimson Flower it's pretty obvious that both sides are just waiting for the other to blink.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 10, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think crests and relics being a minor deal, gameplay-wise, is preferable to the FE4 system where holy blood gives you large growth bonuses and holy weapons are several tiers above anything else, and your units end up split between ones who can solo entire armies and ones who just hang around to assist across those lines.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Irisize posted:

What are the good classes/skills to master? I finally finished my first playthrough (CF), and by the final few chapters a bunch of my units felt a bit lacking. Which is fair, since I was just kinda doing whatever with lesson goals, but for a second playthrough I'd like to try and make people a bit more optimized.

Most masteries are kind of a wash. Fighter and mage get death/fiendish blow which is +6 to the relevant damage type when you attack, and Pegasus knight gets the same but for speed. Those are always worth picking up. Some of the advanced classes (swordmaster, grappler, sniper) get multi-hit combat arts for that class only, and it can be worth keeping characters in those classes, especially swordmaster since it gets better sword skills than any master classes.

Raise both faith and reason for anyone using magic, since all caster classes can use those schools.

Physical units should aim to be falcoknights, wyvern lords, bow knights or war masters. Assassin and the aforementioned classes with unique arts are also viable, though war master’s crit bonus and stats tend to outshine the grappler.

Magic units should aim to be gremories if female, and stay in their advanced class if male. You can keep someone like Mercedes as a bishop, based on how much you need her heal and damage bonus versus getting extra casts of reason spells.

Holy and dark knight are meant for hybrid units, but I also like slapping it on someone like Ferdinand because he gets decent utility spells if trained.

E: Oh yeah, vantage, wrath and desperation are also worth shooting for if you wanna do shenanigans.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bernie's dad gets ousted if you recruited her, and what happens to him if you didn't isn't mentioned. Same for most dads without a more direct plot connection. I think Caspar's is the only off-screen dad who gets mentioned even if Caspar is not in your army.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And then Caspar moves to Brigid and they're all "hold the phone this dude's dad killed our king" but then they get to know him and are cool with letting him be the next king.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The patch is slated to drop on the 13th in Europe, so that probably means sometime in the American evening on the 12th.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
uhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ2lNz3KGNE

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tired Moritz posted:

I dont mind the lack of a golden route but I wish they release a mode where I can use a bunch of characters I like and go through a bunch of maps.

Basically I just want to use Hubert more

That’s fair, but at least Hubert and Edelgard balance out their limited availability by being totally boss units. Imagine if someone like Gilbert were locked to a single route; nobody would ever use him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What's the point of the mysterious teacher in the Abyss? All he does is tell me my students are garbage for not having gained enough levels and highlight some random stats in red and blue. Does he tell you how your characters stats turned out compared to their expected stats once you've got some more levels under your belt?

Also, can anyone give me the 101 on how gardening actually works? I read the Serenes primer, and all it did was confuse me further. Apparently planting multiple seed types only gives you the yields from one of the selected types at random, and all planting more seeds does is strain them through a needlessly convoluted calculation which gives better or worse yields than a single packed based on a bunch of arbitrary factors. Who thought that was a good idea?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait wait wait

Manuela can be an enemy? On what routes? And does this also go for the other church characters recruitable on any route?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

And leave supports unwatched??? Why do you think i play this game

You can save the game to a different file after watching the supports and then reload the unsupported file and they'll get added to your support log.

Fun thing I learned from doing this is that some supports become unattainable if you do them too slow. Caspar and Petra cannot get an A support if you're on Verdant Wind or Silver Snow and they haven't sealed the deal before Caspar's dad dies.

Item Getter posted:

Thinking about maybe getting this game.
What did this game replace the weapon triangle with? I only ever heard "character skills" or something.

They made weapon ranks central to character growth, so characters will unlock skills, spells and special attacks as they progress through the ranks. One of those skills gives you the appropriate triangle bonus (e.g. reaching rank B in lances will give you the swordbreaker skill, which gives +20 hit/avoid when using a lance against swords), but otherwise the triangle is just gone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

It's really interesting to me that they're advanced classes and not Master.
I guess that's them saying "yea, master classes aren't where you should be aiming", I guess.

They're not really comparable to advanced classes, either, just because they show up at level 20. Every advanced class (except wyvern rider) follows directly from an intermediate class in terms of required skills, while all the DLC classes require two conflicting skill sets. They're more of an in-between tier than anything.

I mean, Trickster doesn't actually require leveling a thief; just that the character has the class unlocked, but the idea is there.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 15, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They also patched the line in one of her supports where she described her dad's abuse and toned it way down.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm guessing it's also B-rank, as seems to be the standard for the post-skip paralogue batallions.

Speaking of, is Byleth the only character who doesn't get her own personal batallion? Every other character unlocks one at the end of their paralogue, and the lords come with one after the timeskip, but Sothis' paralogue just nets you the knowledge gem and a pulse charge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

They didnt really 'tone it way down', tying a kid to a chair is still insanely abusive lol.

Maybe toned down is the wrong phrasing. Made less explicit? Tying a kid to a chair is bad, but it's not necessarily as bad as leaving them there for a whole day and telling them you're doing it to punish them for not being submissive and quiet enough.

Also playing through the Blue Lions version of WC, and holy poo poo, Sylvain might be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than Lorenz, which I was not expecting. The one nice thing he's done so far is not be racist towards Dedue, which... does not reflect well on the Blue Lions.

Felix owns, Dedue is a big gentle sweetheart, and Ashe, Mercedes and Annette are good kids. Looking forward to bonding with PTSD Dimitri and getting into Gilbert's bad daddery.

Taear posted:

Means no more manaketes though!

I'm sure we'll learn that Dagda is full of a different species of alien dragons, and Shamir just never noticed them.

Has there ever been a Fire Emblem game without someone turning out to be a dragon person? I think Gaiden's dragons were all just dragons, but that's it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 15, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shops upgrade with your professor level, but I think the most expensive battalions are like 2.5k, and weapons and blacksmithing upgrades don't even go that high. As long as you can afford whatever promotion items you think you'll need, go hog wild.

My favorite use of surplus money is buying Black-Sand Steel and loading my army up with Killer+ weapons and Wo Dao.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just reached Balthus' paralogue, and uh

For one, it's actually difficult. The enemy units use some pretty nasty gambit schemes I haven't seen elsewhere on hard. For the other, it leaves a big ol' dangling plot thread about Monica's dad that I can only assume is never resolved or addressed again. Also Enbarr is apparently so riddled with organized crime that if church troops start fighting an imperial noble's army in the town square in broad daylight, ne'er-do-wells just come pouring out of the woodwork to slit any unguarded throats.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Junpei Hyde posted:

tbh lorenz is probably worse towards women than sylvain is

Ehh, Lorenz harasses women and immediately puts them off, whereas Sylvain draws them in and then crushes them.

Neither is good, but Lorenz clearly doesn't care how they feel, while Sylvain cares, and resents his victims for making him feel bad. I'd give the point to Sylvain.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hapi is super chill and disillusioned at the same time. Don't need good stats when you're a badass in the chats.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’d take everyone being bi over everyone being straight, but ideally there’d be a mix of bi and gay characters. Straights are fine if everyone is represented, but I personally wouldn’t miss them.

Hell, I’d also be down with more non-romantic endings like Hanneman and Lysithea and Alois and anyone and probably a bunch of others. Or ones that don’t commit either way, like Marianne and Raphael.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rochallor posted:

I'm starting my GB route now that the DLC is out, and I'm wondering who I should choose for my tank. Hilda and Raphael look like they have potential, but based on recruiting Raph before and using Hilda in the DLC, I'm worried they might be too squishy, even with the added growths of tank classes. There's several characters with the potential to dodge tank, but there's not really a natural heavy like you get with Edelgard or Dedue, it seems.

Hilda has the exact same base defense and growth as Edelgard. I used her as a fortress knight in my GD run and the only time I lost her was when I let her get cornered by multiple dark mages. Raph is closer to Dedue in that they have plenty of defense but basically no resistance.

If you want to go a bit off the wall and use someone without a talent, Lorenz has pretty solid defensive bases and growths and would make a decent armor knight who'd take a little more physical damage but have a lot more resistance than any of your standard options.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

you just go into the sidestory tab and do it, the units there are preset. you get the bonuses from it in every file you ever make after beating it. most of the benefits from it are only available in part 1 (recruiting the new units, getting the items that let you go into the new classes) and there's some features obviously intended for a NG+, so yeah I'd do it inbetween beating golden deer and starting a NG+

You can still go there in a post-timeskip save and get all the non-unit stuff. You can unlock the renown shop by talking to the Influencer, and buy as many DLC class seals as you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hated how in Awakening/Fates the characters had unique color schemes, and sometimes even models in their basic classes, but defaulted to generic in anything else.

I'm not sure what Three Houses should do differently, but I'm not sure locked classes is the way to go. I like that you can go off the beaten path, and most reclass options in 13/14 were either terrible options or foregone conclusions. It's not like you can put everyone in any class, since there's a limited amount of skill points and instruction to go around.

For starters, they could not make the flying classes also the statistically strongest in the game and the Master Classes that are easiest to unlock. A version of the FE12 system could work. Anyone can be a wyvern knight, but hey, we only have two wyverns on hand, so we can't all go flying at once.