Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My first feeling so far is They've done a really effective job in making Sin Eaters feel terrifying. Not just That Scene but even in the first dungeon you just seem them swooping down and cocooning anything they find, from which emerges horrible distorted broken versions of them seeking only to devour flesh and souls. Even if they don't kill you they can infect you. They're basically uberzombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope this isn't a DDoS or something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man. I just finished Shadowbringers and I gotta say, that kicked Stormblood's poo poo up and down the curve. They *nailed* this expansion. The mere fact they made me care about Minfilia and the Warrior of Darkness as characters is loving bonkers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

How much have you played over the last couple days?

Significantly more than I should have!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With regards to people complaining about Trusts:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which FF did fairies first show up in as something other than summons? 5? 3? Have they been in anything else?

Edit: Unrelated, what's Alisaie's new rapier?

They are in the original Final Fantasy and have appeared in multiple games. For example they helped Yang recover after his seeming death in FF4.B

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't remember them in the original at all, but it's been forever. Where do they show up?

One gives you the thingmabob that lets you breathe underwater

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Has anyone found out where the class quests are? The game mentions they are out there but I can't figure out where.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intoluene posted:

The role quests are pointed out to you through msq. You'll unlock them after the 71 dungeon.

Oh no. I don't mean those. Once you hit 80 you're told there is a class-specific quest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Pretty sure they're at your usual job trainers back on the Source. You need to finish MSQ first though.

Hm, not for Scholar and Summoner at least. Ah well, I'll find 'em.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Draxion posted:

Summoner is Y'mhitra in Gridania, Scholar is Alka Zolka on Limsa, both need you to have finished the MSQ and their lvl 80 role quest.

Oh cool. Thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The writing just gets better, I wonder if they're spending more time/money on it.

IIRC they changed the head writer to the person responsible for the DRK quests

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really appreciate how I have a hard time figuring out what jobs I want to level because each time I try one I find it really fun to play. I'm not sure what changes they made to monk but it feels good to me now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I want to know what Lily thinks of all this if you’re a SCH.

What she thinks is that she knows if I get the chance to reglam her to a ShB Fairy, especially Fel Ul, she is going right on the bench,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vadoc posted:

A friend who is pretty into FF considered the MSQ of this expansion currently to be better than 12, 13, and 15 combined.

I... honestly have a hard time arguing this.

It's easily the most satisfying FF experience I've had in ages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I have to say the conclusion to Eulmore's story felt really unsatisfying to me. Their whole society is based top to bottom on the exploitation of the lower class in order to sustain their hedonistic euphoria (hey, that's the name of the city!) while the world crumbles around them. But I guess all you have to do is take out the guy in charge of everything, maybe have a really smart guy lecture them about how bad they've been, and suddenly they all come to their senses and become really nice people? Humans just don't work like that. I guess this really is a fantasy story.

It's worth remembering that a lot of them genuinely did not know how awful they were being. Which does not excuse their behavior, as Alphanerd said, it does recontextualize it. They thought they were helping people a lot of the time and unfortunately bought fully into the crazy death cult that suggested they were in the right. Once they get it thrown in their face they realize how awful they have been while they were trying to be nice. We see the other part in guys like the general and the leader who were both pretty much "gently caress you all." In reality there should have been a lot more gently caress You Alls but on the other hand they don't really have the power to say go gently caress yourself without Sin Eaters backing them up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Superbollide gives me so many freaking heart attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the people who finished the story, don't forget the two other Level 80 dungeons. They have amazing music and own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The music was so, so, so on point this expansion.

Like yeah, FFXIV having good music is no shock, but the music was off the loving charts in Shadowbringers.

(spoilers in this song link)
https://www.yout ube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM

Like this loving song right here is just used for a bonus dungeon after you finish the MSQ and it I can't stop listening to it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10TB5em9Mdw

post MSQ musings: Was chatting with an FC mate and I really like his theory that the Twelve are Amaroutans who summoned Hydaelyn, and that we are one of the Twelve.

Oh poo poo. That would make a lot of sense. Since it was the council of 14 and they lost a member and the 12 + you would also be 13.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Doing 6 FATEs per zone is also worth it to unlock the riding maps from the gem vendors, at least if you haven't learned to fly in the zone yet since it also makes doing the main quest easier. You end up with a decent chunk of experience from it too.

Note that if you have the motorcycle mount it automatically has increased movement speed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FYI for people who want to know more about Fordola, level Summoner.

Ibblebibble posted:

I have a feeling that like the Council of Thirteen for Zodiark, Hydaelyn would have a Council... of Twelve :unsmigghh:

Or what if they also were a Council of 13.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

What else do we know of that comes in Twelve?

Finally, your patron deity might become relevant.

I was thinking the opposite.

The Twelve are the remainder. The WoL is the remnants of the last. So you have 13 vs 13, with the Twelve being the leftovers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that I felt interesting and engaged in the loving Ascians is a miracle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of tanks, I'm a bit miffed about WAR's AoE rotation.

PLD now has Total Eclipse -> Prominence. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
DRK has Unleash -> Stalwart Soul. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
GUN has Demon Slice -> Demon Slaughter... Both of which a 5y radius centered on your character.

WAR has... Overpower (8y targetted cone in front of your character) -> Mythril Tempest (5y radius centered on your character).

So with PLD, DRK and GUN you can just run into/past a pack of enemies, then hit AoE (no targetting required) and grab aggro from every enemy in said pack, then adjust a bit so the enemies are all facing one direction and all that good tank best practises jazz.

With WAR you actually have to target one of the enemies, then line yourself up so your initial overpower hits the rest, then after you establish aggro you end up in a position where your overpower may be hitting enemies in the back of the pack but Mythril Tempest doesn't, so you need to reposition yourself, but now that you've moved the enemy you're targetting doesn't line your Overpower up correctly and ugh. It's particularly annoying if you need to start moving a bit to avoid enemy AoEs.

Overpower being a cone rather than a radius made sense as a tradeoff when PLD had Flash and Unleash was kinda meh damage-wise, but now I'm thinking Overpower should be radius centered on you and not a cone in front.

I'm not going all "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE" btw, it's a minor annoyance at best, but I play WAR so i'm really noticing it. :kiddo:

Out of curiosity if you're just doing damage to grab, why not use Mythril Tempest instead?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mormon Mother posted:

In my experience, one defiance overpower was enough to hold aggro during a wall pull all through stormblood (I didn't play warrior in ARR or HW so I can't speak for that), barring the very rare few times. It seems like it happens at least once per dungeon now. Even when running with pubs or the group of friends that I play with. Like I said, it's not a big deal or anything, just an observation.

I can say at least in SB when I went Full Black Mage at the start of a pull it would be hard for a lot of tanks to keep off me unless I used diversion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

I don't think anyone except lunatics are expecting people to be doing mass pulls in leveling dungeons in the first week of an expansion's lifecycle. I'd rather people act in a way that's predictable enough for me to be able to plan around cooldown usage instead of doing single pack pulls until they decide to suddenly pull everything in an entire corridor at once.

I had a tank demand I do wall-to-wall healing pulls my very first time in the level 69 dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SMN definitely feels like it could use one less mechanic in it, either the aetherflow system or the pet control one. I'm thinking fester isnt long for this world if they expand further on the pet aspect next expansion.

Yeah, to be honest, it's such a weird mishmash.

I honestly think they should just dump the aetherflow system and focus more on pet attack weaving. I know it's a legacy thing but it really doesn't fit the class. As it stands you could just put Fester/Pain on a cooldown/charge system and nothing would change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

:ok:

If anyone has a real answer let me know

Gunbreaker seems focused heavily on long combos, Dark Knight on keeping specific buffs up and running.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MSQR is 10+ million EXP for watching Netflix for a half hour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh shoot, the music for the Level 80 postgame dungeon. It's an uptown jazz remix of the Ascian theme. :stare:

Truly he was the most anime character in this expac. I don't even know how he managed to keep teleporting wherever we were with frightening accuracy all the time. They don't even try to explain how he didn't die in the Temple of Doom, even though the fall was almost fatal to Y'shtola. :allears:

I assume the dude's dragon rescued him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

oh no

what have i unleashed

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Where do you get the beaver minion?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Re: macros, from my last post.

This is a great way of seeing what I meant with the macro delay adding up over time:

https://twitter.com/KRK969/status/1128330814339424262

I do have to wonder what the total loss over the course of a fight is versus the average loss from mis-presses or missed cooldowns. While obviously the ideal is building the muscle memory not to make those mistakes, I wonder if there is a point for jobs like Bard where it's easier to just macro the gently caress out of it and eat lost cooldowns for more reliability.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're in a situation where such a difference in dps matters, you're going to want to :gitgud: instead.

Well, yes. If you're in a situation where DPS matters that is obviously the case. I'm talking more about people who play casually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I remember seeing a video of someone playing... Monk? And running ACT on the side, I'll try and look it up when I get home.

Thanks. It's just something I was wondering since I've seen a lot of Bard players in the new dungeons who I know are leaving Bloodletter/Barrage/etc unused for longer than they need to and I was wondering if the DPS loss from that was worse than the creeping loss from a macro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wasn't Hades supposed to be the final boss of Final Fantasy IX?

Nah, he's a reoccurring summon in the series. He's actually an optional boss you can fight BEFORE the final boss of FFIX and has a special shop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm looking to level Bard next but I was wondering if anyone has numbers on Soul Voice/Apex Arrow? What does it max out at?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

The problem with all these other composers is that they ain't eating enough chicken.

Well everyone knows chicken tenders are ready to fry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

I think the 71 and 73 dungeons might be slightly overtuned for your average person's ilvl, to be honest. Holminster is loving miserable as AST due to the loss of Celestial Opposition's stun and fewer strong, long duration HoT options, and while it's better on WHM, your average tank is still going to get clobbered by even single pulls. The 75 dungeon onwards feels much better, even if your tank decides to Rambo down an entire hallway.

I think people are just not using their tools. I've done it as both healers and tank and as a Warrior I have tons of options. Raw Intuition is a 20% defense buff for 6 seconds on a 25 second cooldown which is really bonkers when you think about it. They also have a massive self heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Can't we just go back to arguing over Fordola vs. Yotsuyu again?

Fordola's new life of being kept imprisoned and only trotted out to put down primals sounds frankly shittier than what happened to Yotsuyu, so I'm not sure death was the worst possible outcome there. At least she has a sorta-boyfriend now?