Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's easier if you just assume that every single famous person is a piece of poo poo.

Even the ones you like.

Especially the ones you like.

Literally one of the messages of the show is, "Never meet your heroes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

christmas boots posted:

What if soldier boy is actually normally a decent fella but the process of being super just made him really unstable and prone to losing his poo poo

So he’s still dangerous but not because he’s an rear end in a top hat per se

What if Soldierboy is actually a totally normal.and decent human being, but his superpowers only work when he's acting like a raging rear end in a top hat.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

This is magical.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Robobot posted:

I file YouTube reaction videos into the same category as Let’s Plays or those shows where you watch other people play D&D campaigns. I don’t think they’re terrible or anything, but I just don’t get it.

They're bo whisper eating, that's for sure!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Edgar had his circulatory system coated in zinc so Homelander can't see through it.

Maybe zinc is his superpower and Homelander's kryptonite.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dongicus posted:

how about you call it "the boys season 3" with no wacky grey forum subtitle

Hey...Dongicus...you wouldn't happen to know where a 20 foot long prosthetic dong went, would you?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Claudia Doumit got a tan since filming concluded and looks EXACTLY like Mia Khalifa in all of their promotional reels for the show coming out now and boy HOWDY is that crossing some wires!!!!

Who and who?

ninja edit: Oh! And.....oh.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

christmas boots posted:

And I think on some level they recognize that they understand each other in a way no one else does. It really isn’t friendship exactly, but there’s definitely a kind of closeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDOprOog8TQ

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bobjr posted:

It will be kind of funny if the first person to get a solid hit on Homelander is Hughie due to V and Homelander not expecting it coming

If Hughie teleported into Homelander, whose molecules would win?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I freeze-framed Supersonic's body, and he still has his face, it's just a mess. It also seems like he maybe has some device embedded in his mouth that perhaps was part of his costume that we never saw, and I wonder if that's tied to his voice-based superpower or something.

The way this show has gone, I doubt Victoria injecting her daughter is something as basic as "she wants her to have superpowers in the coming normie holocaust," so I'm leaning toward "daughter has terminal medical condition" and this is pure animal desperation on her part.

Also, is spoiler discussion based on next week's teaser kosher in this thread? I noticed in one of the flashes that A-Train seemed to be confronting that one supe who's been tough on the black community (in fact it seems to be preceded by that dude attacking a room full of people). Curious if we might get to see A-Train finally have to try using his powers.

Jerusalem posted:

I think it would be hilarious if Homelander just burst into tears or something if somebody/something actually does manage to hurt him, even if only a little bit. As far as I know he's NEVER felt physical pain in his life so the sensation would probably be terrifying to him.

I'm imagining this.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Becca Homelander’s only SA victim? If he can have super babies why aren’t their dozens of Ryans? Do we ever get the full story of him & Becca? What made her different or special to Homelander, why her and not, like, Ashley or one of his other peons?

Maybe Homelander actually is normally incapable of having kids, but Becca was a supe with a mutant uterus that produces superbabies.

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to how people get powers beyond "whatever seems coolest for the plot". I was thinking that maybe it's a subconscious thing. Butcher hates Homelander, and he ends up getting Homelander's powers when he's dosed with temp V. But then I don't know why Hughie would get teleportation, unless he subconsciously desires to teleport away from things. Maybe it's just based on genetic traits.

I was kinda wondering this myself. Butcher is essentially a monster, and gains a monster's power. Hughie more than anything wants to be done with this poo poo. Like yeah he's all in on killing Homelander, but the first two seasons were all him being completely out of his depth, so perhaps being able to teleport is some expression of his desire to get the gently caress away. I suspect it will end up purely random, though, and not somehow tied to some aspect of the person. Unless, like, the Deep as a baby had some big affinity for marine life.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

In the trailers, there's a scene that gives us an idea: Soldier Boy standing on a sidewalk looking stunned and kinda angry, then another scene with Butcher and Hughie on a very similar(same?) sidewalk looking shocked and horrified, and then a cut to a giant hole burned through a building.

As for how that translates to Homelander-blasting powers, I guess we'll see.

I believe in that first scene you see Soldier Boy clearly doing the "charging up glow."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Avasculous posted:

He was an arrogant douche before he could deactivate other Supes so this might be a contest.

Why wouldn't it be the case that he could *always* deactivate Supes with that energy discharge and that that wasn't some side effect of Russian or Vought experimentation?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

oh jay posted:

Serge would not be panic-yelling, "why is she not healing" if it was a known thing he could do.

It not being a generally known thing he could do and him actually being able to do it this whole time are not mutually exclusive propositions. There are countless reasons why Serge may not have known about that effect or even that energy discharge itself, but even simply Vought being coy and secretive about having an anti-Supe capability (and Soldier Boy being all too happy to retain an ace in the hole) makes fewer assumptions than "secret experiments did this," IMO.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I'm super (no pun intended) curious how the Russians kept SB restrained during their experimentation. Dude was conscious and active during those trials, but unable to tear out of his bonds? Is his power set more about durability than strength? Or I suppose they could have low level gassed him to keep him physically pliant without affecting his natural durability - which is quite something! Stormfront could take Homelander's eye lasers on low setting but it still damaged her; she just healed back from it. SB seemingly shrugs off (painfully maybe, but still) everything the Russians throw at him inside and out, without a scratch.

IIRC, in S1 they said that they couldn't drown or gas Translucent, and that guy was apparently more or less a normally squishy human on the inside even with his powers on. I wonder what the deal with that was, and whether Homelander could be gotten in some related way given that it seems plausible SB could be deprived of oxygen until succumbing, given his vulnerability to that gas. Or...what gas was it, did anyone catch? It's possibly some heinous nerve agent rather than anything that affects the lungs directly, so maybe not so plausible.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Also guys there is no way they're going to kill off Homelander in season 3. Let's just go ahead and move past that.

I think what's more likely to happen is Soldier Boy depowers him and season 4 is about him being a normal person and basically going through what he considers the ultimate humiliation like Deep. And season 5 will be him getting his powers back and lashing out.

"Stick your fingers in my loving gills, John!"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Lol this loving thread is so bad at watching TV

It was clearly meant as gay panic, and the giant pink washing ad with mauve was meant to reinforce that

"And the street he was walking on was straight, reinforcing the vast heteronormity of the American society to which he was accustomed. It's as if you plebes have never consumed film media."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

We can all agree that blue hawk sucks rear end and it's going to be fun seeing him get terminally owned, probably by a train

Now I'm thinking A-Train is perfectly fine and Vought just had the doctors all tell him he'll be hosed if he tries using his powers in order to keep him, well, subjugated.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It seems comically implausible that Homelander wouldn’t know who Soldier Boy is or what he looks like.

Homelander’s entire persona is characterized by the way he notices or perceives everything about everyone. Their heart rate, how they smell, their breath and their diet and their sex life… the analytical and fiercely detail oriented character we’ve been shown for the last 3 years just COULDN’T miss that

Homelander is a big idiot buttressed by superpowers that allow him to hear, see, smell, and otherwise know things he shouldn't, without which advantage he'd constantly find himself overtaken by events. All the things you rattled off are things Homelander notices the same way we notice different hair color or perfume. They're not the product of a keen detective instinct. What would he have picked up on a screen?

Snowflakes in June? Global warming is real!

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 18, 2022

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

With how un-subtle the Trump parallels are I kinda wonder if Homelander / Soldier Boy is gonna end up being a New Right / GOP type of conflict,

Y'all, no. Hear me out. Homelander is Trump. And Soldier Boy...

• is a million years old
  • has outdated societal/cultural views but is willing to humor new shenanigans
  • loves the younger ladies
  • may generally mean well but often says dumb things
  • Is super unhappy with Russia
  • makes awkward media appearances
  • still doesn't realize the danger Homelander poses
  • has a tendency to blow up at people when emotional
  • is not the progressive hero we need

...is Joe Biden.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 18, 2022

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

2nd level spells posted:

I thought Jupiter's Legacy (netflix) had a pretty good superhero fights. Everything seems properly overpowered and brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgN5h5LXn0

Yeesh. This is like borderline Power Rangers stuff.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Not only does the knife get stuck into SB's eye, but I am pretty sure his eye super-boings it out of the doctor's hand and into his neck. Which was a pretty dang cool demonstration of the nature of super durable and powerful tissue.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t think Homelander’s a buffoon, exactly, or even close to Trump. (I get that he’s powerful and stupid and embracing white male anger but beyond that it’s thin.)
I applaud you for managing to repeatedly and wildly misunderstand Trump, fascism, and Homelander. A real achievement.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Homelander is a stand-in for America, and he's fascist adjacent because so is America. All his Trump-like qualities are also just the personification of America: Brash, narcissistic, menacing, and childish.

Homelander doesn't resemble Trump because he's a stand-in for America - he resembles America because he's a stand-in for Trump.

Golden Bee posted:

Edit: I don’t think Homelander can be reasonably separated from his powers. He relies on them for absolutely everything.

Yet another example of how the Trump parallels, specifically, run deep.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

[

PostNouveau posted:

I still think there's a weapon out there we don't know about. MM tries to gas Soldier Boy and it doesn't do poo poo to him. How'd the Russians subdue him?

I kinda wonder if Soldier Boy's power set isn't just "strong and durable [and now blasts anti-Supe radiation]" but more of a physiological adaptability, like a low-level Doomsday "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" type dealio. Could explain why the gas doesn't work on him anymore, why he developed his radiation beam (his body adapting to survive / channel whatever Chernobyl poo poo got shoved up his rear end), why he's constantly trying to get hosed up with harder and harder substances to little apparent effect. Maybe his durability was his power responding to physical trauma. Even not aging.

As far as his beam goes, my pet theory is that it doesn't "depower" Supes, per se. Rather, the high dose of radiation deactivates / suppresses the V in their DNA, but maybe eventually the effects fade as their bodies naturally purge the radiation.

Shaking my head at all the people who didn't see Hughie's masculinity nosedive coming. The dude has always been a weasel who kept his resentment at injustices perpetrated against him bottled up purely out of feelings of inadequacy and powerlessness. And he's utterly hated that and how much it's made him like his dad (whose passivity he despises), and has generally wished to be able to wrong others in the way he has been wronged. No surprise whatsoever that when he gained that power, he was immediately corrupted.

Lastly, I know this is like a week late, but

Shima Honnou posted:

Homelander is neither made of land or a home, something if off here.

Post of the thread right here.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chamale posted:

This feels like practically the same thing. Although I'm pretty sure they tested radiation on Homelander and it didn't work.

The end result may be practically similar, but the mechanics can make a big difference. If it's a type of radiation, rather than some version of magic powers, perhaps its original source could be found, reproduced, weaponized - or even defenses against it developed.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Robobot posted:

He looked like he had been trained to fight though? Held his own just fine against SB.

I think you could interpret the choreography either way. He seemed to be taking more punishment 1:1 with SB and Butcher, but also seemed to feel it less, recover from it faster, and hit harder when he did hit, so you could peg that as superior powers compensating for less training / fight prowess.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bagrada posted:

I'd be surprised if we don't get at least one season with depowered Homelander. Considering how good Antony Starr is, it would be a waste not to. Plus they could tease him slowly getting his powers back, and golluming with the mirror some more.

Three episodes of powerlessness and then...an orgasm-inducing flash of the eyes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mameluke posted:

I really don't think powerless Homelander could sustain a season. How the hell could John survive on his own? He's never worked a day in his life. He doesn't know how to cook or clean. He has no tradecraft, let alone people skills. Hell, it's not even really clear if he has any money or if he just lives off Vought's largesse. Without his power, the only thing he has for sure is celebrity - and how do you use that on the run?

Put me on the other side of this perspective, because answering the questions you pose abovr would IMO make for a fascinating half season, at the very least. What the gently caress does Homelander do? How does he survive? Where does he go? You could go the Vought puppet route someone described, or a number of other ways that involve him having to deal with the harsh realities of life as a human, but hot drat it would make for great and tense TV.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Hughie being unsatisfied with A-Train's finally sincere apology was a good Hughie moment, caught him off guard and wasn't what he was really hoping to hear.

Not merely hoping - it's not what he wanted to hear. In his mind, he was already wailing on A-Train. Like Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction going, "It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it," this was Hughie hoping A-Train would key his car just so he could catch him keying his car.

TwoPair posted:

I mean SB carries a shield which implies to me at least that he's not bulletproof like Homelander or (juiced-up) Butcher are. So shooting at him doesn't seem ludicrous like it does for those two.

My man, MM saw the video of Russians unloading an automatic rifle into SB's mouth. How much more proof of bullets does one need to be?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 28, 2022

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

do u think he swallowed and passed the bullets or spat them out?

Guess we'll have to wait for part 2.

tokin opposition posted:

maybe only his mouth is bulletproof did you think of that fucker

Nope. But "bulletproof mouth" would be an awesome random superpower.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The shield could just be a helpful melee weapon / defensive measure when going up against tanks and poo poo. Like, yeah he could take a shell in the face, but does he want to? Probably not. It seems extra dense / heavy / sturdy, so maybe it also made punching through a tank easier.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

loving beautiful.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chamale posted:

After today's news, the writers are probably scrambling to add a scene to the finale where Homelander throws a hamburger at the wall, leaving a smear of ketchup

Smear of ketchup, lol. The hamburger would explode with brains and intestines.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Too bad his name isn't Planelander.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I think Soldier Boy was bullshitting Homelander. Not about being his dad; that's something I had half-expected based on comic spoilers I'd read and the manner in which the show likes to twist the original story elements. But I get the feeling that there is a big difference to Soldier Boy between raising some rugrats of his own and having a superior version of him pseudo-cloned without his knowledge and used as the basis to get him sentenced to a lifetime of Russian experimentation. This isn't going to be a happy family reunion; it's going to be a set-up. The only spotlight Soldier Boy is going to let Homelander have is the one exploding out of his chest.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This wasn't spelled out but pretty sure only established hero can take V to return their powers in case 'the V was burned off'

Romes128 posted:

Doesn't regular V straight up kill grown adults?

As someone else already touched on, I suspect if they go down the perm V route, the temp V will serve as a buffer against the destructive effects of the perm V and / or will serve as a blueprint for the perm V to follow much like an irradiated Supe (e.g. Kimiko) getting their powers back.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

There's a shocking amount of brand loyalty for Kirklands. I've never had any of their booze, so I dunno if it's just stockholm syndrome from Costco members who are stuck with Kirklands products.

Costco brand liquor, like most Costco branded products, is relabeled mainstream branded stuff. Can't speak to the whiskey, but e.g. their bourbon was from a Woodford Reserve distillery (though I don't think they sell it anymore). The Kirkland label means Costco can lower the cost without pissing off the manufacturer, so in most cases it's very decent mid-range liquor at crappy liquor prices.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yeah, man. The Deep's gill-rape scene was funny. The being forced to eat his octopus lover scene was funny. Starlight turning around to find Deep with his pants down was funny. The guy is just a living, water-breathing comic relief generator, and I don't know what to tell you losers who can't see all this very obvious comedy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I want to know what they make Supe costumes out of because that poo poo seems to be indestructible. Bullets, eye lasers, chest explosions, whatever the gently caress Starlight does - none of it scratches their costumes. Maeve took a Soldier Boy nuke right in the face and in the surveillance footage it shows her in an unscathed costume being helped into the Boys' van. Incredible stuff. They should make all the buildings out of it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That DICK! posted:

noir isnt really going to count against it being a reset because there's nooooo way they don't put some pepe the frog zoomer creep under the mask and insist its the real noir. he didn't even get a news memorial thing, so either he's alive [very unlikely] or they're already making the moves to have someone else take the mask.

Homelander: "Say, A-Train, you're black..."

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the Maeve-Homelander fight was pretty good. I don't want them to have a dragonball z fight or whatever, a good ol' trash-the-room fistfight is fun.

Agreed. Budgetary constraints notwithstanding, I think there's only so much you can do with a fight between two super strong people. It eventually devolves into who can punch who into the biggest mountain. It's one thing seeing superpowers juxtaposed against normality or a contest between different power sets, but watching two people punch each other one hundred feet gets stale.

It would have been cool to see more destruction around them. I could buy that if you're super strong and brace for a punch from another super strong being, it won't send you flying - but it would probably crack the floor under you. Touches like that could have more visibly translated the power quotient involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fionordequester posted:

It's odd that they're leaning so heavily into the anti-Trump propaganda (like their version of "I could shoot laser someone in 5th Avenue and not lose a single voter"), like he's somehow still relevant.

I mean... He was a glorified celebrity. He coasted entirely on being "new, exciting, and politically incorrect"... Then fell on his rear end when it mattered most.

Thus, he loses re-election. He gets laughed out of the courtroom. He even gets banned from Twitter.

This would've hit harder a few years ago... But at this point, they're just preaching to the choir, aren't they? Or is it like some sort of weird PTSD thing?

Your interpretation of reality leaves much to be desired, alas.