Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

redreader posted:

I read "armor" because of this thread or the previous one. I was on my kindle so I kept track of the good and bad bits. Armor bits starring felix: from 0%-22% of the book. Then Jack Crow from 22%-70% of the way through. Then Felix for about 4%, then Jack Crow again until the last 2 pages. It's like 2 books, a great one and a really poo poo one. The poo poo one is most of the book.

:same:

The Felix bit was amazing, then I got up to the Jack Crow stuff and it's all toxic masculinity wish fulfilment bullshit. He fucks ALL the ladies, beats up ALL the bullies, and is smarter than ALL the nerds. He is a boring and stupid character, and is sapping my will to finish the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bird cooch posted:

He changes drastically the more he is exposed to Felix. It's worth sticking it out. You are supposed to hate crow.
Oh? Good to know. I'll give it another shot. Thanks!

e: I mean it's not just that I dislike him, it's that I don't find him believable. That he's magically able to gently caress/murder/outwit anyone and everyone. Still, I'll give it another go.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 9, 2019

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Surely all our word choices must be in perfect reaction to the whims of malignant idiots online.

You're certainly in the right thread

Well, ok, what's "goyboy" mean other than "I'm a Nazi", then?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dude, you've got to screenshot it. Otherwise it gets lost when they inevitably delete it, as this guy has.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

madeintaipei posted:

Eh, those weren't for military use anyway. The idea is that they can be used as an anti-kidnapping tool, disguised as a portable radio (or a medkit, which I haven't seen before) it looks like you are unarmed even upon a cursory search. Wait for an opening, unfold, blast away, and run like hell from wherever you are.

Still a violation of the Geneva Convention. It would be even if it were a red cross on an actual medkit and not a weapon.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

McNally posted:

The Geneva Conventions do not apply to civilians outside of war zones.

Read the link.

quote:

In order to ensure universal respect for the emblems, the Geneva Conventions obliged their signatories to forbid any other use of the names and emblems in wartime and peacetime.

Nevertheless, the illegal usage of the emblem is widespread and it is often used as a general symbol to indicate first aid, medical supplies and civilian medical services especially in walk-in clinics

e: ok, technically, the civilian isn't violating the Geneva Convention. They're violating a law that the country they are a citizen of must have enacted in order for that country to not be in violation of the Geneva Convention.

eg https://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-prison-architect-developers-broke-the-geneva-conventions/

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 27, 2019

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, if it's good enough for the Space Force...

That's dumb. They'll only be able to fight in the space woods.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Aussies and Limeys are such whiny little pricks when anyone asks them not to use their favorite swears. Like, I get it, I grew up in California in the 1990s and it took a bit of work to cut "gay" out of my vocabulary but I did it anyway.

The difference with the use of "gay" (or "Jewish", which I've also seen) as a pejorative, though, is that lots of Australians aren't using the c word as a pejorative, but simply as another word for "person".

Like, describing something bad as "gay" is lovely to do because there's nothing bad about being gay, and that usage implies that there is. But the particular Australian usage is more like if people just decided to start using "fag" instead of "dude" for absolutely everyone regardless of orientation or gender or how you actually feel about the person.

I've never understood it myself, it's not universal, I have no idea how it came to be and I think it's really weird. But the funny thing is, that usage is not even using it as a swear.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CainFortea posted:

People know aussies don't always mean it perjoratively. I don't use the word "mosit" as a perjorative but I avoid it's use with 2 of my friends because it bothers them.

Yeah, and it's reasonable that we shouldn't use it because it bothers people. I didn't mean to defend the practise, I guess I was trying to point out that the mentality of using it and resistance to stopping isn't quite the same thing as "why can't I still use <favourite slur here>?".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

E: Nm, I'm dumb

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Guest2553 posted:

I know someone who had an extended stay with a UK army unit for something or another, and told me of a horrifying game he was introduced to called 'spatters'. Someone hides a poo poo somewhere. When it's found, someone else hides a dump. The owner of the longest hidden poo poo wins, minus anyone disqualified for getting caught or charged.
I like to imagine that this means you win if your hidden turd is the longest.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, our new "SAS Australia" reality TV show should be loving great. Can't wait to see our Z-list celebs being trained to commit war crimes. :australia:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

movax posted:

Man, you sort of hope it's some stdh.txt right out of a Clancy novel :smith:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-15/sas-soldiers-allegedly-plant-gun-on-dead-bodies-in-afghanistan/12452964

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

So, what you're saying is the navies of the world are less surf and more TERF?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Spare the rod, spoil the seaman.

Nono. Lube the rod, spoil the semen.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flikken posted:

Like, it's a fired round, if it was close enough to not arm shouldn't it have killed him. Did he pick up a dud and shove it up his own rear end??

I was wondering that too, and then reparsed "launched grenade" as "a grenade of the type fired out of a launcher, rather than a hand grenade" rather than "this particular grenade has been launched".

Also: I guess the moral of the story is people should put proper buttplugs in care packages

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 13, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If you need a soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4gPS0gpdE

(which came about because the singer used to work at Medieval Times).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't know, groping someone without their permission sure sounds like a legitimate reason to punish harshly.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I didn't see what the big deal was about Notre Dame. To me it looked just like any other European cathedral (and Europe is filled with cathedrals). It wasn't even especially large or had any interesting architectural quirks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Godholio posted:

It's what they copied. It's also an important site because of the events that have taken place in and around it for almost a thousand years.

Which events? The Hunchback of Notre-Dame was a novel, not a memoir.

Like I said, it's pretty much the same as every other cathedral in Europe. They've all been at the centre of public life for around a thousand years, in their respective locations.

McNally posted:

I must reiterate that this thread is for talking about idiots.

This is quite likely too, though. What am I missing?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

E: yeah, ok. Fair enough, I'm the idiot.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 5, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Warning: Abuse related (it's a court hearing on zoom)

If you're impatient start at 6 minutes, but the slow burn is worth it imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Mfk7Dg42k

Could you summarise what happened, please? I don't know if I want to watch it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Also a dumb civilian here, but: wouldn't changing your standard-issue weapon to use completely different ammunition be a huge logistics pain in the backside? And then you've got a shitton of the old, useless ammo still lying around?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Couldn't have been a Barrett. The mighty blast of air pressure would have obviously torn buttrest man in half, from rear end in a top hat to ear.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've seen people OC them- which seems to be the most blatant advertisement that you feel deeply sexually inadequate.

At first I misinterpreted this as "Original Character", and thought you meant you've seen people write horrible fanfic where they marry their anthropomorphised gun-waifus.

Which is kind of the same endpoint by a different route, really.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 27, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm not going to look for it, but I've sort enough time on this lovely marble to know that exists.

Oh, without a doubt.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Canadian soldier charged with feeding cannabis cupcakes to artillery unit during live-fire exercise

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What if they're in the Space Force, though? Then they fit right in, right?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Good. gently caress 'em.

...or don't, actually.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I always figured this thread was for "pew pew" idiots, rather than plain old internet idiots.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I thought the EM detecting magnet implant thing was cool, and nearly had it done. Instead, I bought a magnet ring that's meant to be used for magic tricks. I figured if I wore it all the time, I'd also get used to feeling EM fields.

Well, it turns out if you wear a magnet powerful enough to make things float for magic tricks, it's also powerful enough to not so much detect electronic devices as screw them up. After I accidentally made my building's elevator make alarm noises, I realised this wasn't a good idea

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

*Buff

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Farsi, too.

Weird that it isn't in English, the language we're using now.

If you're going to be really pedantic, in English it's "Persian", not "Farsi". The same way we don't say people speak Nihongo, Deutsch, Español, Francais or Ivrit.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fair enough, then.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, better design a printer that doesn't need toner, then.

Oh, and while you're at it, make it mine resistant. And not show up on radar. And add anti-aircraft capabilities. And antisubmarine capabilities. And carry a full platoon.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

His name is Karl Gustav? Like the recoilless rifle? lmao

Yes, they named their king after a gun. Much like how the USA keeps naming famous generals after tanks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"Are ya winning, son?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Zoe Quinn was a helldumper turned gamergate victim who turned out to be a massive transphobe
What? No, man. Even a cursory google of her name shows that's bullshit. You must be thinking of someone else.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I see. Dead link, but searching produces this. Seems hard to verify, though.

Eh, I dunno. I'm just going to back away from the whole subject. Pretend I never said anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wtf are grey men, I'm assuming you don't mean the dudes from wheel of time

I didn't know either. Google had this to say:

Lmao