Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi, I bookmarked this thread because I'm the new TG Idiot King. But per the discussion on this page, definitely check out the blog by the owner of Black Diamond Games in Concord, CA, Gary Ray.
http://blackdiamondgames.blogspot.com/
The owner, Gary, has been blogging about how to run a successful and (nominally) profitable game store for many years now, and he's known in the entire industry (goes to trade shows etc) for it because of how useful his stuff is. He covers a lot of things like inventory management, difficulty with certain distributors and with certain game lines, the problems of running live events, staffing, and in the last 2 years covered the financial and physical difficulties surrounding buliding an additional level of gaming space in his (leased) location. He also posts lots of charts and graphs, sometimes with his actual numbers.

If you're thinking of starting up a game store you should spend a week or two poring over his stuff. I guarantee you'll find it invaluable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Didn't we get a new IK or something for this thread? If I ask nicely, will you morons post better without the mods having to demand it? jfc

I'm here. I was very busy this weekend and I'm just catching up on threads, but I have bookmarked this one.

I gather that the culture in this thread is somewhat aggressive/poo poo-talking, and I'm loathe to come in with iron boots and stomp all over a community's culture. Also the mods let me know if a thread is generating reports and I haven't gotten a notification about this one, so at the very least, you guys don't seem to be mashing the report button much.

That said: normal SA rules, and the rules of TG, still apply here. Please don't be total assholes to each other? Even if the thread culture is to kind of go at each other a lot. I understand there's some controversy about the latest product positioning decisions from Wizards of the Coast... you can all discuss your own opinions about how good or stupid those are without accusing each other of being racists or idiots or company shills or whatever.

So: sit on my Facebook, instead of threatening the thread with telling on them, just go ahead and tell on them, that's less likely to generate or continue a derail about posting about posting about posting. The rest of you, do what sit on my Facebook said anyway and post better, thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if there was a Bast booster I might actually be tempted to get back into Magic after like 20 years of not really playing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

its that guy, the alien guy, from Promethus, the movie, like he's gonna go swim in the river now and seed earth with his dna

this dude

sorta
now I look at an actual image it's not that close I guess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What do you guys do with several thousand cards that aren't worth anything, once you've pulled every worth-something card out of a huge old collection? Just dump them in the recycling, or, store them forever in case some 5th edition uncommon suddenly gains value in four years?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Pack 'em in to a USPS flat rate box and ship 'em to https://commons4kids.org/ (there's some other charities, but I shipped off 2 boxes (so probably like 10k cards) to that one.

drat, that's a great option

Captain Invictus posted:

please don't ever recycle cards in playable condition(or non-broken toys and such). donate them instead.
Yeah my default would probably have been Goodwill or something, I wasn't really gonna dump them into the recycling, but I should have said so.

There was a period probably 10 to 15 years ago where I bought a few sealed short and long boxes sold at game stores where it was like, $15 for this whole mystery box! of 99.9% commons! Some of them had like 80 copies of the same card in a huge stack. Even if those things are worth a quarter each, it's not worth my time selling them individually for the next year to the next 80 people who actually want one of that card. So,

Bust Rodd posted:

I've bulked out my commons//uncommons/bulk rares twice in my life, both times to SCG, and both times to the tune of $200+. It can be kind of hassle going through everything to make sure you didn't miss a Manamorphose, and sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night wondering if you accidentally mailed them a playset of Mother of runes, but it's also nice recycling draft chaff into marquee Commander cards or reserve list stuff.

I didn't know that was an option either, that's cool. How does it work? It looks like I need to make an account on star city games? Then can I just mail them boxes of cards and some poor bastard has to sort through thousands of cards and figure out what the poo poo I sent them and in what condition and then they add a $18 credit to my account after spending five hours of labor determining that value?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder how often those things develop a little wear and start putting nicks or scratches into thousands of cards before anyone notices.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feel free to create a new thread about the formats. People are too hesitant to create new threads in TG. If there's no interest, it'll slip into the archives, no harm done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found these threads on page five of the subforum thread list:
Limited https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226
Cube: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560252
MTG Pauper Thread - Cardboard Raft Boat: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785890
Eternal: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620

and commander https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

These are all also in the OP of this thread! Woop!

but if modern and legacy don't fit any of these, still, you can make a new thread or post in this one whatever

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 29, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was still playing back when Homelands came out and at that point I wasn't really paying attention to Online Opinions or even the in-store meta about magic, I was just playing magic with two or three other nerds at college.

So I bought a fair few boosters of Homelands and never really knew it was bad. I regretted only having a couple of boosters of The Dark before it went out of print (back then I was on a really tight budget so I refused to pay above MSRP for packs once the store was down to a limited inventory and started raising prices on them) because I really liked the theme.

I do remember that after a year or two there weren't very many Homelands cards in my play decks. Although I never really built competitive decks, I tended to make theme decks like "all the elves I own, with enough forests to cast them" or "every token creature generating card I own, lol" or "hmm, maybe I can just barely make a goblin deck" and I'm sure some Homelands cards wound up in those as a result.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang actually Homelands might well coincide with approximately when I stopped regularly buying and playing magic. I don't think I ever bought Alliances cards... or if I did, it wasn't many of them. It also happens to be when I transferred to university and stopped seeing my magic buddies regularly so it's not the whole story, but maybe if Homelands had been good, I'd have been motivated to find players at uni.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was playing entirely kitchen-table style magic back then, and the balancing effect of just not having a lot of cards didn't work great. Because there was always someone at the table who had the most cards, and so they were able to construct the strongest decks. We were aware of Type 2 and didn't use cards that were banned from it, but even so, one dude I played with just had three times more cards than anyone else, and he usually won.

I think the other half of it was just that in the early to mid 1990s, the idea that games ought to be tightly balanced still hadn't been fully understood and embraced by the games industry. It wasn't just Magic; RPGs and board games that were coming out at the time often - maybe usually - just clearly hadn't given balance much thought at all. There was only the tiniest of tournament scenes, and that's where banlists and types developed, but you have to remember that before Magic, game tournaments were either about playing card games (poker, bridge, etc.), or wargames (which were also horribly imbalanced). Or poo poo like scrabble and chess, where the balance is inherent in that all players have the same pieces.

There was also a much smaller channel for feedback back to the game makers. The Internet was a thing but probably more players didn't have internet than did, in 1995. Tournaments were a thing, but they were smaller and "netlists" were less common and I don't think there were names for standard patterns of decks. Every game store might have its own meta and different cards could be much more or less favored at different stores. Moxes were worth a few hundred bucks but most rares in current sets would fetch at most five or ten bucks, eBay was the only place to sell cards nationally and people didn't necessarily trust credit cards online and most players didn't even sleeve their cards and there was no sense that this game was still likely to be around in 20 more years.

I'd guess that Homelands sucked, in part, because the game was far smaller in revenue, it was a much smaller team, and the team didn't care as much about trying to make or keep Magic balanced. It was more about theme and art and growing the brand and just getting more sets out because hey, wow, this Magic thing sure seems to be taking off?

Like they honestly thought that maybe people would want various Homelands cards because they were cool, irrespective of how strong they were in play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

opps wrong thread

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve been playing magic for a really long time, and one thing I learn over and over every time I find a new playgroup is that for many magic fans, Magic is simply one hobby, but for some people magic is not just their only hobby, it’s possibly their only interest whatsoever. There are people whose entire entertainment budget is MtG products and events and patreons, and they basically never waver or grow out of it.

Yeah I think this is the difference between a hobby, and "fandom" - fanatics are fanatical about their stuff, that's where the term 'fan' originates. What I'm getting at is this isn't unique to Magic, there are people whose entire lives revolve around their singular fandom interest, for every fandom you can think of and a bunch more you can't think of.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's the official-rule timing of a "then you may" card effect? E.g. could I do the mana spend, put the counters on in my first main phase, and then have a combat (it doesn't participate in), and then at the end of my second main phase, declare that now it's a creature, for some reason?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so surely you can't get away with silently not declaring a decision and then trying to argue later that you totally decided, in your head, that you made it a creature? Like folks are saying players would do that, but that seems like it's unequivocally cheating/wrong. You did nothing to indicate it's a creature at the moment you had to, then it's not a loving creature, end of story.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What about referees, though? I've never played at an event but I'm imagining how this would play out when the ref was called over.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The issue is going to be people activating the land pre combat, someone targeting it with removal, and the active player going "hey i just said I was activating it I never *said* i was making it a creature!"

I see. I guess in that case I'd be on the side of the player who didn't announce they were choosing to do the thing, but also being strict about them not getting to later (or earlier) have recieved the benefit of the doubt about having chosen to do the thing without saying so explicitly.

e. Yeah I guess there's just always some room for cheating.

Maybe the game should have a special "is a creature now" marker you put on it so there's no question.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In tabletop wargaming I've seen cases where one player is just hyper and ripping through actions without explaining poo poo. The worst is rolling a big handful of dice and immediately grabbing all the ones that were high enough before I get a chance to verify that every die they're picking up was really high enough; especially since the "proper" way to do that is to pull the not-high-enough dice and then let me look and verify that all the remaining dice were high-enough, that kind of thing.

I tell my opponent to slow down so I can follow, excuse myself politely as a newb who just needs more help following the rules, and if that doesn't work after two or three times, it's time to just not play with that person any more. I know this game is time consuming but gently caress it, if your sense of urgency makes it impossible for me to tell if your'e cheating or not, then you're cheating.

I... may not be temperamentally cut out for tournament play

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

resistentialism posted:

This one doesn't seem that complicated does it? They have to tell you they're activating it and you can naturally ask them if they are making it a creature right at that point if they try to mumble through it. You don't have to do anything unprompted.

I guess the argument is, if you're asking, it's a hint you have a removal card you're itching to use, so they immediately decide that why no, they had no intention of making it a creature this turn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1295382604192120832

wotc is doing a survey for double masters. now is your time to tell them how much they suck. or not.

thanks

I thought it was interesting that the survey understood "I can't afford it" but did not differentiate or offer an option of "it's too expensive", which are not identical concepts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What if wizards handled hosed up cards by printing replacement cards with updated stats/abilities/whatever, plus a special symbol on them that shows they're the replacement card, and then letting anyone trade any copy of the badwrong banned card for the plusgood new card, and then you only have to memorize the banlist but you can also keep using a given card if you want by getting the new card?

Of course that would make the bancard artificially more rare in the market so its value would rise and then it'd be a case of, do you want to trade a costly card for maybe a cheaper one (or it'd also be rarer so it's also be more valuable?) so you can play it in play? Plus the whole thing with mailing cards, and condition, etc. yeah this is a dumb idea

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK wait hear me out, now: what if you could print off your errata'd card and slide that into your card protector over the actual card, and then definitely 100% nobody would make fake ones with different "errata" on them

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like getting to endlessly bitch about the cards you hate is part of the point of a magic the gathering thread, so I've been just assuming I didn't need to do any moderation on that subject.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread has been really extra hostile the last three days, which I have just caught up on.

Please try to stop having really nasty and stupid fights. In particular let's stop having fights about whether or not field of the dead was worth banning or if it's good or bad that it's been banned. The sides are entrenched and nobody is changing their mind because of citations of recent tournament statistics, nor because of comparative analysis, nor because of the quality of the posting history of the various antagonists in the thread.

Let's move on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

New thread title please mods

OK

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Apparently it's also happening to Amonkhet, I had the booster box listing on amazon wishlisted at 140 and it just loving vanished alongside every other amonkhet listing basically overnight, and now the boxes are pushing 200 on ebay. Would there be any reason for the sudden spike in interest in Amonkhet?

In Arena, and so I assume also in paper, Amonkhet just became legal in Historic and everyone is drafting it and having fun doing their not-Egypt magic stuff. I would assume that might add significant popularity to Amonkhet cards which could affect pricing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's fine for Captain Invictus to show us his haul. It's cool.

And I've seen him do the same thing with for example Reaper Bones kickstarters, and he generally profits off of these endeavors.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Historic isn’t currently a paper format

ahh, OK, well that still might be stimulating interest because it's showcasing the art and so on. As a Tomb Kings player in Warhams, I for one fuckin' love Amonkhet and am considering buying some paper even though I haven't played a paper magic game in like 15 years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well for once I'm caught up with the thread when posts like these are coming down so hey guys:

you know you can totally go "hmm I see that you think this card is great but based on X, Y, and Z I think it isn't so great" or "I would politely differ, friends, I feel like given it could do A B and C, maybe it's a good card though" and similarly not try and wheelslam down a super-aggro shitpost about how your MTG: The Thread enemies are just insanely stupid and driving you to howling laughter by their mega-wrong take?

I know there's a long history of this stuff in the thread but I am trying to help you guys gradually change the thread culture. Because my alternative is that the mods push me to just hand out sixers and I would rather not do that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

When did this happen? I feel like this Spoiler season has been pretty mellow.

Maybe some of you guys are so used to the aggro posts that they don't even seem abnormal I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

Seems like a cop-out answer.

Actually you're right. It's not fair for me to obliquely suggest that some posts are unacceptable without identifying those posts. But I also didn't feel like any of the recent posts were immediately probatable - just, there's a gray area and this thread steps into that area a lot.

Corbeau posted:

Until and unless the probations start, posters here are going to continue believing that they couldn't possibly be the problem.

We know this because it keeps happening.

e: Depressing page snipe.

That's fair, maybe. I've had good success in a couple of other threads when I've stepped in and said "hey maybe don't be dicks so much" and I'm sort of hoping that happens here too.

As always, you can directly report a post that breaks the rules. I can't see those reports but the mods ping me if a thread is generating reports. My problem with this particular thread is that it moves too fast, if I take a couple days off (like I often do on the weekends) I come back with 300+ posts to get through. But I've also had people suggest to me that this thread is too nasty and that pushes people away and that's more of a general thing than specific to one bad poster or one bad post.

Anyway I appreciate the feedback and I'll give this some more thought.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

300 posts or 300 reported posts?

Because if this thread is generating 300 reported posts and yet not meriting any actual probes maybe it's time to take the button away from whoever is mashing it on every single post.

OH my god no, just 300 posts for me to read. If there were even 20 reports a week from this thread they'd probably just gas it.

The whole of trad games generates only a handful of reports a week, that's why we only have an IK right now. We're a Good Subforum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Party seems like one of those mechanics that makes for really cool limited play and does literally nothing in constructed. I hope I'm wrong but like, having 4 creatures of 4 different specific types is a big ask

FWIW they clearly know that since a few cards have all 4 types but still, seems like it will never come together

I'm getting the impression that the rogue/warrior/wizard/cleric types are more commonly paired with another type than they appear by themselves. So you can have a vampire rogue, a vampire warrior, and a vampire cleric in your vampire party deck and you can still do all your vampire poo poo as well as constructing around maybe having 2 or 3 vamps in your party.

Doesn't mean this idea is gonna work, but I think it's not intended that you have to handle four distinct creature types in constructed just to have a full party.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what's coco

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ahh, OK thank you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

oh sorry i thought you were asking an honest question, my bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uggy posted:

Ask a better question then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don't be assholes to someone new to the thread who asks a question, even if you think the question shows some degree of ignorance. It costs nothing to be reasonably nice and if you can't do that, it also costs nothing to just not reply.

Yawgmoth posted:

Maybe a new person in the thread should read the past page or two before asking an incredibly vague question.

The previous page or two did not address the user's question, even though it included some discussion of midrange.

flatluigi posted:

I know people are desperately trying to go 'these OTHER "shrieking baboons" are the terrible posters in this thread, not me' but to be clear what happened was that immediately after a conversation about 'how midrange sucks and is awful and i can't believe people wanted it to be back' someone did come in with what appeared to be an honest question, but when I asked for more information (because I was going to answer them honestly) they responded with calling midrange 'a new archetype' & that just felt like moving onto a shitpost in line with the bunch of shitposts that were already happening. it's not fun to spend time and energy on someone who just wanted to take a dump on the thread and move on, and this thread has had too many people do that over the months i've been reading it

This is a paranoid and unreasonable stance to take based on the posts that had been made. Additionally, if you genuinely suspect someone of trolling, just report their post and move on.

PleasantDirge posted:

As soon as you catch me telling anyone to be nice, you have a point there doofus.

Don't have slapfights with your posting enemies in the thread please.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ooh let me try

Two-headed cow
[1W] 2WW
Adventure enchantment creature cow
Add a Second Head token to target creature you control with no Second Head tokens.
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, you may discard a Second Head token instead.
[adventure]
Put a Second Head token on target creature you control.
1/2

Second Head: Whenever a creature with one or more Second Head tokens would take lethal damage, remove one Second Head token instead. When defending against creatures with Trample, excess damage beyond what would have destroyed the creature is still dealt to the creature's controller.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

am I being whooshed or did you just reinvent Regeneration?

Yeah I thought the idea was very poorly conceived cards in white. So I made a card that reproduces Regeneration, except with a token effect, and its' an enchantment creature adventure, so it has interaction from all of those keywords, although nobody's getting any interaction from the "cow" creature subtype, and then I got lost in wording for a while.

I just figured one of the things that makes poorly conceived cards poorly conceived is when there are interactions that apparently weren't considered, and also when there's arguably better mechanics already in the game or previously in the game, and also when it's unclear how you'd ever build a deck that took strong advantage of having four copies of that card in the deck. Additionally forcing your opponent to sit through time wasting fiddly poo poo like placing and removing tokens everywhere so they can get back to destroying you with their mono red deck finally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also vampire creature subtype, or maybe ghoul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People are gonna point out that we also have the whitewashed (sorry for that word) fun version of pirates when in fact real pirates were a bunch of murderous rapist thieves; similarly, vikings, etc. The difference is that there are still victims and entire populations suffering from the lingering effects of the crusades, w/r/t the permanent crisis of christian/muslim conflict in the middle east.

I don't think the right approach for WotC - or any other corporation - to try to internally analyze the degree to which a real-world historical or religious or cultural reference may be offensive an to whom, just based on designers reading wikipedia or something. It's much better to just ask experts and the people who might be affected and listen to your audience and if there's serious concerns, avoid the area regardless. There's an infinite design space, you don't need to put the word "crusade" on a card or reference the crusades, and the game is not irreparably harmed by removing that card or its name.

And it's also important to understand that people within a specific ethnic or religious or disability category etc. aren't always going to mutually agree about what is or isn't offensive. Not every Muslim person is going to be offended by Crusade. Pointing to someone who says "I'm in <x group> and I don't find this offensive" is not sufficient to establish that what you've got is a-OK. Case in point: the Washington Football Team has finally dropped the offensive Redskins monicker, but for the last decade they've pointed to the statements made by a tiny number of people of native american heritage saying "We're OK with this name" as cover for keeping the name. That was always bullshit.

Does this make things difficult for you as a design team to know where the gray areas are? Absolutely. That's why you as a company hire or consult with one or more experts, and don't treat that consultant as just a job you announce on twitter that you have in order to earn kudos from your customers before sidelining and effectively shutting out of your processes, you have to actually listen to their recommendations and incorporate them into your design process at every level and maintain that position indefinitely. And you're still going to sometimes make the wrong decision so you need to be ready to listen when voices are raised saying "hey we find this offensive and here's why" and be responsive to that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 15, 2020