Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm just waiting to explain how partners with is/isn't the same as partner.
Unlike bands with which is banding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nibble posted:

This isn’t really a hard problem to solve if they wanted to, though.

Add a rule that defines a subset of keywords to work with these abilities. Call them “combat keywords” or something.

Then Akroma just says your creatures get +1/+1 for each combat keyword they have (plus partner), and the list in the rule can change to include future keywords where the card text can’t.

I mean they already have a master list of every subtype in the game they could have one for whatever akroma is supposed to pump and then we'd only be asking if a creature with multiple instances of bushido stack withy this ability

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

What happened to the fetch reprints that were supposed to happen?

MH2.
Which is either going to be half-masters set to make them available or they mean that the fetches will be box topper bullshit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Maro is bad and using MTG to enact petty vengeance on people who wronged him literal decades ago to the detriment of the game and will forever be The Coward Mark Rosewater.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

Did all his high school bullies play white in commander? This post is incomprehensible.

More like people kept telling him that "Hound is fine" and he took it as a personal insult to make dog a creature type.
And then wanted to show the world Companion was fine after being told over and over it wasn't a good idea across decades and, well, Ikoria.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

Booby Trap exists and is modern legal somehow!

8th edition in Modern was a mistake.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Klowner posted:

What does the white leyline even do

edit: lmfao

Leyline of Sanctity is one of the few leylines that sees MB play. Because decks like Boggles need enchantments and for you to not thoughtseize their creature.
Otherwise it's essential SB when Burn is big in whatever meta.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

Booby Trap is 9th edition

:kheldragar:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm playing in the modern challange this morning and immediately got dumpstered by boggles. Glad I woke up early for this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

What argument? If a store does rare re-drafting just shame them on every social media outlet possible. I used to go to a store that did that, it was a couple guys in their 30s that would trash a bunch of high school freshmen to get free rares at every draft when sets came out. One time I beat That Guy and the salt there was INTENSE

I didn't even know this was a thing and invited one of my friends out who drafted at a local FNM. Since I always play constructed and every other draft I had ever done let you keep what you drafted I told him that's how it worked and then when I went back the next week they told me he was banned from the store because he kept his draft.
I ended up paying his "tab" so he could come back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Can anyone explain the logic to me behind throwing Yorion in Dimir Rogues? It seems like a hilariously terrible idea to add 20 cards to one of the biggest synergy based decks in standard just to play a card that really does gently caress all for the deck, but I've seen it multiple times now in Arena ranked and I really am curious.

To flaunt the fact Force of Despair isn't Standard legal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

Containment Priest is though? And costs less?

Less than zero?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

How are vial decks at the moment? I'm thinking of buying into either legacy cloudpost or building modern/legacy slivers.

At least cavern of souls/aether vials are fairly staple for any tribal deck i'd want to build in the future whereas cloudpost seems pretty specific in terms of cards.

Modern Vial decks are in a good place at the moment and my pet deck, ub zombies is getting it's fifteen minutes because it's a vial deck that can draw a ton of cards.

As for cloudpost I recommend building it and DMing me prices you're willing to pay for staples because I have karnpost and am looking to sell out. ...Assuming that's allowed here

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is commander legends coming to arena?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Katana Gomai posted:

The most annoying thing about Commander Legends is the plethora of nerds falling over each other to come in with their hot takes. Did you know that fast mana is Actually Not That Good?

Everyone knows the commander actually has nothing to do with the deck other than to provide a color identity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MisterZimbu posted:

I tried tuning in but somehow MODO is even harder to watch than paper.

MODO is better than Arena, at least.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

What is your metric? I find MODO to be inscrutable. I can barely tell what cards are in play. Arena feels miles ahead visually.

Any metric, really.
They both require you to have encyclopedic knowledge of the art when watching, but MTGO at least puts a few words out for you that are even readable at higher resolutions.
When I watch Arena I have no clue what's happening because everything's moving around the screen being all animated with no log to reference back to. Arena also doesn't let you pause if you have no possible response so sometimes things just happen and I have no idea why as I'm frantically looking for insight. MTGO the graveyard is at least visible always.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh and for all the poo poo MTGO gets about functionality it took me days to install arena because it can't handle split drives.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magic Underwear posted:

Left ctrl for full control mode. Not that it will do much for you if you don't have any plays...you can bluff having an instant is about it.

Also, I think twitch has some kind of plug-in that actually lets you hover over cards on the stream and see a blown up card image.

MTGO looks like regurgitated dog poo poo.

They're both ugly. One just doesn't care and the other clutters the screen with ugly poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PleasantDirge posted:

This is a well known Achilles heel of the software, it's made for dum dum's like me so I can't gently caress it up.

Once you start installing on other/split drives you might as well start using solid fuel rockets to get to work in the morning.

Ok but when it says "where would you like to install" and I tell it "D:, my external drive with the space and not C:, the tiny drive that came with the laptop" it doesn't keep filling up my C drive with garbage.
I have had to make zero junction boxes to make MTGO work. I have to make two new ones every few weeks with Arena.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno I think Arena is the best thing to happen to magic in like 5 years and it’s pretty much the only thing keeping the game alive during the pandemic. If we only had MTGO poo poo firing right now the streaming scene would be totally dead. Zoomers have literally zero tolerance for pre-2001 interfaces.

I don't think any of this is true.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PleasantDirge posted:

God bless you for thinking I understand anything to do with that second paragraph, I agree that it does sound like a lot of extra work

I have to lie to Arena, pat it's little head, and tell it "yes you can put your garbage there" and it's all an elaborate ruse to get it to put it's garbage on the other drive like I loving told it to when I installed it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

odiv posted:

Arena does have levitating cards for flying and symbols for different abilities.

This is good, true.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AngryBooch posted:

just got a very short survey email from MTG Arena which makes me think they're absolutely going to cut bait on the Mobile client. What a pipe dream.

I would have played this, despite how lovely Arena is otherwise :(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You just click the cards and pop out the z...oh you meant Arena. Just wait for uro to get banned.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I don't disagree but that's the world we live in. You can continue to get mad, or you can look at Twitter.

Or I can just go to mtgo and as a bonus actually play the deck I want and not some weird format that's "whatever we were assed to put it"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

what would it take for kroxa to be as good as uro, or for uro to be down to kroxa's level? Maybe if you removed the card draw from uro? or maybe uro's ability was ETB only?

If you wanted to make kroxa better, he would probably cost 3 and make them discard 2.

Make the three life unconditional, and/or lessen the escape cost

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

Urza's destiny had eradicate, didn't it? Wasn't that "exile target creature and then dig through their deck to exile any duplicates too"? Is there anything remotely similar to that in recent sets?

Just make uro two on the front half and then you can legions end it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Julius Seizure posted:

plus, i actually love playing Uro gtfo with your stupid aggro decks

Actually my aggro deck loves it when you tap out on turn 3 to do nothing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Huxley posted:

When you Bloodbraid into Bonecrusher, can you cast the stomp side?

You can.
When you cascade you're looking for a spell with a CMC less than the CMC of the spell you cast (so in this case, less than four).
Bone crusher giant meets those requirements so you get permission to cast the card. (rule 715.4)
Then as you cast a spell with adventure you get to choose which side to cast (rule 715.3)
So: You cast BBE, you flip the Giant, and as you cast the giant you choose to cast the adventure.

Fun fact: Because BBE is only looking at the non-adventure side you could cast an adventure with a CMC greater than 4, because it doesn't have the higher CMC until you go to cast it. (Flaxen intruder, for example)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Boo goon arena tournament.
Yay goon mtgo tournament.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
IDGI

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Favorite toilet is Door to nothingness.
The mirrodin art.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought it was some sort of reward for winning something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They're all cards that are kinda cool in limited and have drawbacks to balance them but FIRE design means you don't need those drawbacks anymore. That's not "Fun".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dysgenesis posted:

I have been enough corporate environments think the acronym came first, and they figured out what it stood for later.

That's called a Backronym :eng101:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShaneB posted:

Yo. The Dive Down, somehow, hit episode 100 this week. To celebrate, we

I'm star struck. Seriously love the pod and I'm new to the thread didn't know you guys were here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sampatrick posted:

geist also wasn't incredibly good in INN/RTR standard. it was mostly at its best as a sideboard card at that point as well as in the bant hexproof deck. the peak of geist play was in delver decks alongside runechanter's pike and vapor snag. geist in general was a pretty overrated card for a long time.

Geist into verdict. A classic!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Attestant posted:

I can't wait for someone at Wizards to declare it a color pie break

Makes tokens for the opponent, and not in enemy colors? Outrageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hey when I click "play" on arena what are my opponents like? I don't want to be smashed by people who have the 75 they want before I have my first 60