Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
For all the jokes about taints and skirt smoothing and braid tugging, someone on Facebook pointed out a single chapter of Winter's Heart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Mazed posted:

Oh yeah, as characters they've all gone and committed all kinds of atrocities and orchestrated many a horror, but if you took that away, took away all the evil overlord clout and just put them in mundane situations, they're all still the specific kinds of people who would, at the very least, habitually make things difficult for everyone else. The kind we all meet in everyday life: The attention seekers, the petty and passive-aggressive, the eternally impossible-to-please. The rude drivers, the bad bosses, the mean teachers, the sex pests. The people who use their lovely opinions as a bludgeon, the people who demand to speak with the manager, the nonconstructive critics, the bad-faith arguers.

The Forsaken are just those kinds of assholes, plus supervillains on top of it all, and it makes it exceptionally satisfying when these fantasy heroes in this hardscrabble world take them down.

A conversation I've had more than once with people not that familiar with the setting.
"One of the Forsaken sold her soul to the devil because she was denied tenure."
"Oh, that sounds right."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Unsinkabear posted:

Okay. Did... did they introduce Loial and Uno just to get our hopes up and then really truly just loving kill them at the end of that last episode? Should I be holding a candle for them to make it in season 2 since Nynaeve and Egwene can apparently just resurrect people at will now? If not, this is unforgivable, new turning of the Wheel or no.

Also, Dagger Fain already a thing with no explanation? Moiraine stilled? Seanchan already here? Min with a 0 in charisma? Perrin being in love with Egwene and having a whole Women in Refrigerators arc on top of that? What the hell is going on?

Seanchan are showing up about exactly when they did in the books and last we saw of Loial he was still moving (plus he's on set filming season 2.)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Unsinkabear posted:

I would normally agree with this, but they lend it a heavy amount of legitimacy with the way he moons at her in Episode 1 and the fact that he very definitively does not deny it when Rand asks if it's true.

You're absolutely right about it, plenty of people watching the show were remarking on it right from episode 1 and all points are to it being deliberate. And easy to see as just an expansion of Perrin's POV content in the book anyway. Fal Dara had it playing heavier since the big theme of that episode was everyone acting out over having their guilty fears dragged to the front of their mind in the Ways. Which in turn was clumsy since Barney Harris leaving meant the last two episodes were a lot of rewriting/reshooting with little time to smooth things out.

In the end that was just another bit of personal drama tossed on though, especially if they get back to the two not even being near each other often in the next few books/seasons.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hexel posted:

I just realized this dude at Rand’s academy in Cairhien is building a locomotive. He got a Nikolai Tesla here too making lightning in a jar.

Did Aviendha’s future visions see any of this advanced poo poo or was it all bleak stuff? I seem to recall it being Seanchan focused..

That part was pretty funny in general, just a couple solid pages of "The inventor insisted this printing press was a vast improvement over existing designs; Rand had no loving clue about printing presses, so he just smiled and nodded. Then some other mad scientist's machine caught fire, and"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Though Nynaeve does almost pull her braid out of her head during a confrontation with the Kin, I don't remember which book

In Lord of Chaos even the Aes Sedai joke about how much she pulls that braid, so if nothing else it's an intentional quirk in the writing, not just of the writing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Brolander posted:

do we have actual ahem hard numbers on the frequency of spankings? I honestly never thought twice about any of that stuff until people brought it up over and over and over and over and over

It would be fuzzy anyway, since it gets referenced and threatened a lot more than it actually happens on the page, and it's not keyword-based like the various repetitive phrases. It's just that corporal punishment is a thing all over in the setting but the Aes Sedai and Aiel particularly love the hell out of it and a lot of plots happen among and around both.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Brolander posted:

I feel like it's always supposed to be child's punishment, for a person who cannot be reasoned with like an adult. "Go cut me a switch" etc

So what you're saying is they use it exactly how everyone else does. Frequent, heavy handed, and with plenty of "why did you have to be such a child as to drive me to this?"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I've never once seen the corporal punishment in the books as prurient at all.

To clarify, I don't think they do either. I when I say that a number of societies "love corporal punishment" I mean in the run of the mill unhealthy hazing and abuse cycle mindset, where you can't make strong people without pain and humiliation flowing freely, and of course it's not cruel because everyone follows the same rules right?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Yea, they messed up that ter'angreal thing. I just assumed that they're doing away with the whole "going into t'a'r physically is PURE EVIL" from the books because it literally never comes to anything in the books at all ever. So why put it in?

Even if you wanted to explicitly keep that all you'd have to do is wait a few seasons and have a Wise One horrified to learn that a couple of Aes Sedai were physically entering t'a'r' for booty calls. It's not like anyone in the Tower knew much of the rules about dreaming at the start of the series.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Tinydryad posted:

A Crown Of Swords: Everyone Drinks Punch Now.
So much punch. It's punch all the way down.

I noticed the punch party sneaking in during Lord of Chaos at the latest. With Aes Sedai preferring mint and floral tea. Sometimes with context that it's still uncomfortably warm given the unseasonable weather, but just enough to make it come to mind the rest of the time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Last I knew vaccines were one of the few causes you could rule out since the timeline didn't make sense for that as a cause. Sounds like something personal though, rather than job issues.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

It probably was the song of growing, but at this point the people have turned it into a mythology that the Song of Growing isn't enough to satisfy.

Basically the original Aeil got so traumatized over such a long period that they all went in wildly different ways with their lore.

Think of how disappointed people get when that old video game doesn't excite them like it did when they were ten, only it's rediscovering the Song of Growing and it doesn't return the worldwide peace of the Age of Legends.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Reminds me of a thing I read some years ago about the proliferation of the word "grimly"

Like how it isn't actually a thing to "laugh grimly", like literally try it

(I mean I can kinda get the idea but the point was that books of the time were just doing eeeeeeeverything "grimly" including things that were just loving nonsensical to picture, like "he leapt up grimly" etc)

I mean, it was a fad for a while there, even if everyone forgot about it.

Oh wait, that's Grimley.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

is that the sad warder one that everyone here was mad about because loving lmao if it is :discourse:

That was 5. 6 was Moiraine's various goings on about Tar Valon and ending with her planned exile.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Is the show even going to include the "wacky good guy stumbles into inventing guns" storyline? I feel like modern audiences are a lot less likely to connote guns with either wacky or good than a white Southerner was 30 years ago. If they're cutting the gunpowder thing then it doesn't matter whether Tam has matches or not.

As opposed to what? The battlefield remaining dominated by the special few with massive inborn superior powers? Eh, I don't think "clever good guy without magic weaponizes fireworks to fight wizards and monsters" will play an inch worse with modern audiences than it would have in the 1990s.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainsDescendant posted:

Even though Mat and Aludra are super happy about blowing poo poo up there's several characters that point out that the weaponization of gunpowder is going to cause a lot of misery down the road. Birgitte specifically. And Aviendha's future vision in part shows how grim things will be when the Seanchan empire gets its hands on it. I think it's actually a clever piece of the story, while it's cool to see a premodern society industrialize and mow down hordes of Trollocs with grape shot this innovation is setting up the wars of the ages to come.

That's definitely true. But it's just one of a long list of "this development to win the war against the Shadow will probably cause misery of its own in the age of human problems to come" developments. It's well behind Dumai's Wells and literally any compromise with the Seanchan on that front.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

I have won again, Lews Theropod.

Fixed this.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Jordan didn't have a problem in the middle of his books, more like his problem was his middle books.

Joking aside, I'm definitely feeling it. Most WoT books seem to have a pattern of "strong forboding opening, some dramatic developments, a bunch of repetitive meandering around interspersed with cool scenes, buildup, huge finish." In most of the series I enjoy them the whole way through without losing interest, but the middle is weakest and where you most get thinking about how thick this book is.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

ulmont posted:

Nah. That’s early yet. Let me skip to the wiki:

I mean I don’t give a gently caress, mix them up, but I do think Jordan was pretty clear.

Yeah, they're not all redheads, plenty of blondes too. Some dark hair, but that's like how some are short: it's just uncommon. That said, who cares? Aviendha specifically has dark reddish hair in the books, it's not like being super pale is a defining trait like being short is for Moiraine..

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Caf posted:

It was the king of Arad Doman if I remember correctly. The white tower had abducted him and then gotten stuck during the long winter.

Was he the one where Graendal turned the rest of his family into a dance troupe but left him out since he wasn't hot enough?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

rocketrobot posted:

Sorry to self quote so soon; but, I have just discovered that the front page doesn't say that anymore.

The browser tab still says it at the front page though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Got to the part of Path of Daggers where Elayne finds the ter'angreal sex toy. I don't know how I missed that last time through, but just one more bit of the books being hornier than I remember. :stare:

But then I forgot how much of the military stuff was about logistics too, which makes sense and all.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

I didn't think that the ter'dildo scene was particularly horny? I remember it as Elayne feeling warm, blacking out and then waking up the next day with even Birgitte not exactly willing to discuss what happened.

The individual scene wasn't explicit or anything, after all I apparently went right through it without even thinking of the implications before. And it's a bit harmless/funny. Just it really fits in with the the series having frequent yet indirect sexual reference past just constant talk of ample bosoms, and how much more visible it is on my latest reread.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

I'm not sure how much social interaction you have with people who are drunk, but saying "it was something horney" does not in any way preclude my theory.

Elayne had embarrassed herself doing the drunk and horny thing previously and everyone was pretty clear about what happened and why she should be more careful, so "the same thing only caused by a magic rod" wouldn't have been anything unspeakable. The book definitely leaves what happened up to your imagination though, so all that's really sure is that Birgitte thought it was hilarious, Aviendha stone-faced and Nynaeve was a very pent up and twitching "You don't want to know." Obviously the intent was to make the reader fill in the blanks from their own imagination rather than to spell out anything specific, it's all over the place to put racy humor in censor-safe sitcoms or whatever. The writer doesn't even have to have an answer in mind.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

They’re all very sexually repressed medieval people. She probably let the strap of her dress slide off one shoulder. The horror!

Funnily, earlier in the book Elayne was told that some ruins had been a giant statue of a woman that had fallen centuries prior, and found it implausible and somewhat improper because the statue clearly would have been barefoot and who would build such a large statue in that state?

Elayne is a really weird person. Also funny when you realize people aren't metaphorical about her being a nose-in-the-air noble, she literally holds her head that way.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The funny thing is he's slaying mad pussy and is a literal hero but thinks he's an awkward dork

To his credit on reread, he's quite aware that he's good at finding lovers and making them happy in the moment, he just thinks the others are much better at comforting, negotiating, or generally getting along with women outside of that. So it's a much more himbo anxiety than the other two. Particularly when he feels he's a joke to the women he's trying to help/protect but isn't in any kind of relationship with.

Not that this diminishes how little he knows of how the other two are.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

There is at least one full-frontal female shot in the background of Moraine's bath scene in the white tower. That's a bit much for PG-13.

I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps to that precedent, with bare breasts or full frontal of either sex being mostly non-sexual and small parts or extras. With as little of it as happens with the Sea Folk in the books (since almost all their on-page time is in harbor or on land), it wouldn't be out of place for it to come up at least.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I finished my reread today finally. Without taking a multi-year gap between the Jordan and Sanderson books the author switch was noticeable but it didn't really bother me or anything, just different. But my memory had not exaggerated how much the last book was an extended battle sequence even if a lot had slipped my mind since the last read-through. Like John Henry as one of the Heroes of the Horn.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

tsob posted:

This seems like a major change on the other hand, and it's hard to see how that could be done without hugely affecting not just her relationship with Rand; but his relationship with the Seanchan.

If she just goes through a quick arc of "Hey, you're a Doomseer now, tell us some omens!" enforced employment, then escapes with the others because she'd rather not be part of the invading slave empire, I don't know that it affects all that much.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The show is doing a great job with Siu/raine

Yeah, I feel the same. Thom/Moiraine was sudden on the first read but made a lot more sense when I was watching for it, so I don't dislike it. But the show making Moiraine and Siuan a present rather than past relationship has been a good change.

Of course, if there's anything to the speculation I saw that TV Suian gets killed off (since Sophie Okonedo is too busy for much of a recurring secondary character role) and Leane takes over her post-stilling story arc of mentor to Egwene, there's still finding someone else I guess. Though hopefully not since I like both versions of Siuan.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My personal take on the show was

1) that they didn't get the airtime they needed especially at first

2) some parts of the first episode had a really bad case of algorithm poisoning

3) covid and other weirdness hosed the last two episodes.

Overall it was kinda flawed but I'm hopeful season 2 will improve.

Yeah, it sounds like they wanted the first three episodes to be about 90 minutes apiece, and the problems with the last two episodes are very clearly connected to covid changes. The middle parts were a lot more solid.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

tsob posted:

I never really noticed or cared about Narg much myself, but having finished the books recently and started exposing myself to people talking about the show in various ways, he seems to come up surprisingly often for such a tiny part. As such, Wizards of the Coast just announced some stuff about the future of D'n'D, including a new race called Ardlings, which are basically heavenly beings with beastial faces, in order to better reflect older depictions of angels or something. Which means you can create Narg, or any Trolloc really, in D'n'D now and have a beast faced 9 foot monstrosity. Which, while heavenly in the lore can probably be set with demonic stats with your DM's permission.

I think part of Narg coming up a lot is that he's not only one of the first Trollocs you meet back when they're still new and intimidating monsters rather than evil canon fodder, he's also the only named Trolloc in the whole series, the only one with lines, the only one who does anything other than brute force attacks.

Since EotW is deliberately Lord of the Rings and Trollocs are its Orcs, compare to Tolkien. Orcs get a lot of characterization, with individual names and personalities, distinct groups, conversations indicative of their mindset and motivations, and so on. Tolkien was unclear/inconsistent on precisely where they came from or how far from redemption they were, but it was clear that they were people, however twisted and miserable.

By contrast, Wheel of Time is really clear on the origins of Trollocs but way less clear on how much they're people. What their mindsets are past "fight and eat", their culture if they have one to speak of, how much the various bands differ apart from symbols. Whether they even have souls that can be reborn. If you wonder any of that, the only view of a Trolloc that isn't a faceless, nameless, voiceless minion is Narg.

I don't personally put much weight in Narg since he feels like one of those early oddities that Jordan left aside as he got more of a handle on where he was going with the plot. But if what Trollocs are is a big question for you, he's a mystery to explore..

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Colonel Cool posted:

If all souls are recycled then I wonder what happens if the world population rises to a point where the number of people in existence outnumbers the amount of souls. The world in the Age of Legends had to be vastly more populated than it is in the current setting. I guess it's not an issue because the world is designed to reset itself before it ever reaches that point.

But I guess this does imply that in at least some ages souls spend a lot more time hanging around waiting for rebirth.

There was a sci-fi story from like the 1970s where babies start being born alive but essentially lifeless and it's because reincarnation is real but overpopulation made the souls run out.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

th3t00t posted:

Uh, what? He never had that power.

He was just wondering about it aloud, to scare Cadsuane and make his feelings towards her known, but he never displayed any sign of having that power.

It was a bit funny in retrospect when a later Cadsuane PoV chapter was like "It's not hard to stop someone's heart with the Power, and it's no worse than a fireball but people get all weird about it."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

RandolphCarter posted:

Did everyone just reread the jaunt? I’ve been seeing it referenced a lot lately.

Are we talking about the time since I read it last or the perceived time since I read it last?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I had to laugh at an antique shop yesterday when my nephew pointed out, "Hey, look, a Mercedes logo."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

That's what I was thinking, they might want to introduce her earlier and maybe expand her role a bit. She's always just kind of there as she has an important job at the very end, but Egwene has to escape and maybe she gets help with that.

On my recent reread of the books she was definitely the most prominent character of the back half of the series who I had no memory of existing. Introducing her earlier is sensible enough.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

They represent such a stain on humanity that has existed and still exists. They're not serving the dark one, but holy poo poo they're horrific. Like the Whitecloaks.

That's part of what's so great about them as a secondary antagonist. You really want them to be serving the Dark One, in a way, just for the moral clarity that they're monsters. But they're not. They're not even an enemy the Shadow deliberately manufactured in the way that the Shaido rebellion or the White Tower schism was. They just have a culture with an abhorrent moral code that's reachable through entirely mundane human behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
What worked for me was replacing "twitter.com" in the URL with "nitter.net"

There's Threadreaderapp too but that wouldn't show this one to me.