Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Agony Aunt posted:

So... they made NMS?

Go into cave with mining laser, find glowing blue crack on rock, shoot with laser... technically it's not Warframe because Warframe has a small skill minigame involved. NMS has you harvest minerals that are visibly different from non-minerals. This is therefor new tech by CIG that's never been done before and required years of work to implement. I can't wait to run around until I find the rock, shoot the rock, carry the fragments back to my ship from each load (rocks are heavy!), then fly to a station and sell it for five spacebucks. Immersion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think the crobbler could handle The Expanse. It's space, but somehow doesn't map back to WW2 dogfighting. A truly impossible creation.

Why is Agony Aunt out drinking with cultists?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

trucutru posted:

Demon Souls is both a hard game and a game where death means nothing.

I don't want to start the done-to-death difficulty argument or anything, but when anyone mentions Souls on the internet it universally means "games that are impossible unless you're a real gamer like me :smug:".

You might as well include terms like "filthy casual" right alongside it. It's kind of lovely that the broad cultural legacy of those wonderful games is a meme about being unfun but that's the internet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the genre never recovered from its late 2000's implosion. Now its just the rotting corpses of failed crowdfunded pipe-dreams and lovely F2P cash grabs.

MMOs kind of suffer from being service games in a world where now everything is a service game. I wouldn't say they're dead so much as the concept of EQ/WoW is dead. Turns out when you give people the option to enjoy co-op play but not have the poopsocking requirement they're happier. Inexplicably you can grow a community better without the kind of shitlords that those sorts of time requirements generate. I don't know if you'd classify Warframe as an MMO, but I think that's a good reference point for where the industry went.

Thankfully this is another thing Chris Roberts will save and all the citizens will know that they bought earned that Idris while us plebs are slowly loading one space rock at a time onto our small rented ships after mining a cave.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Lladre posted:

Is Death Stranding worth charging my ps4 controller for?

Death Stranding is very similar to Star Citizen, in that it's a game about carrying boxes while dealing with terrain that can kill you at any minute with an avatar you barely control that exists largely to let its creator capture the likenesses of famous people. Death Stranding is slightly different to Star Citizen, in that you can reliably pick up the boxes and the terrain kills you because you fall and not because you clip through it. Unfortunately, having released, the quality of the game now paints its creator in a light that dreams cannot fix.

In conclusion, if you like Star Citizen you'll probably like Death Stranding. Buy an Idris.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Beet Wagon hates star citizen because he's not white.
Vertisce is right because it is not necessary to make a large difference to make the difference.

I have no content beyond a dumb thing on the internet. I am the Star Citizen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

It depends on what you want exactly - if you want complete mash of these two games, it's possible it would take this much time and resources. Remember that Elite is in year 6/7 of development as well.

If instead you'd be content with limited subset (some on-foot missions, simple static NPCs for shops, flying and PvP only - meaning no mining and other side things), it would probably be easier, yes.

It wouldn't be that difficult given the scope of Outer Worlds. Of course then you're running into the exact same problem - there's a single location per "planet" so there's no point in having a shitload of procgen rocks and dust surrounding it. It'd just be Elite with five planets (or whatever Outer Worlds has) with one spot on each that's worth visiting. At that point you've divided your resources (and budget) so you have to decide if you want the tightly woven on-foot experience of Outer Worlds, the space-ness of E:D, or a NMS compromise that does neither particularly well.

Or you sell dreams.txt.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Who the gently caress pretends to be all hoity toity on a 747?

It wasn't explicitly stated, but in my mind the canon is that he didn't volunteer to be ship model security and instead just decided he was. There's a good galaxy brain meme in that which starts at pledging to SC and ends at trying to pretend to be part of the team making SC.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It gets joked about a lot here that no AAA title can compare with dreams.txt, but to see it so lovingly rendered is amazing. It's so hard to believe, amidst the comedy of Bagman and hilarious demos, that people are so deeply emotionally invested that they've quite literally substituted their imaginations for reality. It's funny, but a sad kind of funny, and I guess that feeling is Star Citizen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

tuo posted:

Seeing the post above of the actual actor, I understand that the overall look seems to be close to the real actor, but playing the game, and seeing the other actors (humans or non-humans) he somehow always stood out to me as "that's a game dude" in contrast to "that's a 3d scanned actor doing mocap". I can't remember a single cutscene where he looked as natural as the others. The game overall imo needed a couple of weeks of polish to really stand out, but I assume they had to release it to fullfill some contract stuff with Disney.

It's definitely just the way he looks. The game has a lot of animation jank and silly technical issues (a cutscene in the ship where his poncho and Cere's coat were still acting like they were out in gale-force winds was hilarious) but it keeps the framerate up and is genuinely fun to play. This is also a very strange thread to bring up that they should have delayed it for fidelity. ;)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

One of you has to be good enough with photoshop to put crobbler's dumb face in the comms window with Slippy begging for help.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna come back to Warframe for the flyable ship. Any idea when it's meant to release?

It'll likely be Q2ish next year. The ship building stuff was done early so they kind of threw it in there. Railjack (or whatever they wind up calling the flyable ship update) was supposed to be late this year but got held back, presumably until working, because DE doesn't understand game development.

I'd be more excited if they weren't pushing multicrew in a game I primarily play alone or with queued randoms, but the demo looked super impressive.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

Was this another one of those storylines that someone came up with at some point and now it's just a thing they say?
I've been around this thread for a while now and I don't recall anyone ever defending Derek.

Derek is their bogeyman. These forums are paywalled for an outrageous :10bux: that could better be spent towards a $3k jpeg, so most of them can't read the posts here and therefore everyone assumes it's some sort of shadow organization. Derek is obviously our leader as he is the worst. We spend our time here cooking up new ways to create doubt in the minds of innocent citizens because we're all filled with burning hatred for SC for.. um, reasons. Once you've got that mindset locked down then even if you see what really goes on in here you'll still believe it's all some sort of black ops smear campaign.

The even funnier us-vs-them part comes up once in a while when someone new actually posts along the lines of "I saw the trailer and the game looks cool but I've heard it's never coming out?" inside the cult. They immediately get torn into as they're an obvious plant from the SA conspiracy. Their first experience with "the greatest community!" is to get told to gtfo. Then that post gets screencapped here, we all laugh, this is used as proof of the conspiracy, and the cycle continues.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

You all mocked it, but Star Citizen truly has implemented quantum design. You can't say it'll never be released, because tons of people have it installed and are playing right now. You also can't criticize it as if it has released, because it's an alpha and you don't understand game development. SC both is and is not released. Crobbler has invented quantum absolution.

Also, as a recent new PC haver, holy poo poo does SC look ancient even when it's not collapsing in on its own dumpster fire.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Gamers take an awful lot of pride in tedious bullshit.

The ephemeral dreams.txt design doc specifies that this is fidelitious real life in space. This is your chance. For only $thousands of your dollars you can start a new life in space complete with space box carrying, space pooping, owning space land that you pay space taxes on, having space sex with your space prisoners with lust on your mind, and absolutely NO AUTOWALK.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

You think Chris could just pay Frontier to let him use their engine?

That would be sensible if they were developing a game. I mean most devs would actually think for five seconds about a suitable engine beforehand, but if your dev cycle is so long that everyone has lapped you many times over it's sensible to scrap it and license a different engine. Hell, call Hello Games and hack your fidelity into the NMS engine so you have both flight and spacelegs paid for. This will be what happens in a game that eventually comes out and eats SC's entire lunch for non-dreams.txt thing you could reasonably do in a video game. It's not like crobbler has done anything but assets so it's still a pretty good time to switch.

Fortunately they're not developing a game and any engine is suitable when you promise dreams.txt.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I mean sure you can pilot your ship on a combat mission and other people can crew your ship and perform tasks on it while you're piloting and also exit the ship to fly around using rocketwings with a giant gun then board an enemy ship and take it over for a bit before killing the reactor and bailing while it explodes then return to your ship to repair it and possibly fight off invaders who have breached it...

...but none of that forces me to work as a bartender on an Idris serving a Hairy Roberts to one of the faithful with lust on his mind.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

So that raises the question: can this ever stop on its own? How many more years of nothing need to happen, how many more compromises, how much more completely broken poo poo? Or does this have to come to a hard stop due to an external force acting against it?

In terms of the "when will people snap out of it?" nature of your question - they do every day. You just tend not to see many posts on reddit because why would you. They'll hate you, you'll feel dumb, and it's easier to vanish and pretend you never were into it. In the case of true believers this day will never come. When the final bell tolls they'll say they were happy to just be a part of something so ambitious. This totally-not-a-scam project to deliver dreams.txt was just killed before its time by the evils of the world. Instead of posting about how great SC will be in every youtube comment section they'll post how great it would have been if not for the bad men.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Beexoffel posted:

Wait, I remember him having a failed bombing run too, after which he was prompted to use the force on the second run. Or was it the other guys that failed and him being the last one to try?
I only saw it years later on TV somewhere.

Red Leader before him had a shot and missed. Then Luke's wingman gets redshirted and he's the only one left, because of course he is. After Vader gets sniped from behind he lines up his scanner and then space grandpa tells him to turn it off because space grandpa is senile and doesn't believe in technology.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

In Warframe there's a relatively new feature where you can sit down to play a stringed instrument. Most frequently it's used when waiting for someone slow, and given how the new spaceship missions tend to end veeeeerrrry slowly as you have to wait for the host to pull his finger out, it's a great time to sit down on the bridge next to him and play. There's even a AHK script for translating midis.

What I'm saying is does anyone have a link for a midi version of Final Burn?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sandweed posted:

Why do all the people move like they are in a PS2 game, Roberts have spent like 100 Mill on mocap but not on a generic walking animation?

Imagine you wanted people to see you like a bigshot Hollywood director. "The cutscenes were great and this guy should make a movie" people would cry. You'd instantly get your ticket back into Hollywood and everyone would forget what a massive failure you are and also your name would be mentioned alongside Scorsese and Spielberg because you're such an industry icon. Everyone would cheer and you'd arrive at the Oscars in a limousine. Everyone who doubted you eats their words and forgives all debt.

If you're having problems imagining this, or have started to point out logical flaws, you're more competent than Chris Roberts.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

It is beyond me how the SC “defenders” just can’t - literally - see it: SC is last gen graphics, and Cyperpunk might set the bar an inch higher, again, as well.

My explanation: Many of the SC backers did not play Games (especially not on Ultra Settings ) the last years.

This would make sense if you were both seeing the same thing. Your eyes tell you that the game looks mundane in screenshots and hilariously bad in motion, but citizens don't see with their eyes. They see with their dreams. Everyone talks about the game in a state that exists entirely within their minds. The dumpster fire that is the current "alpha" game might as well not exist because all that matters is what it could become.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Elderbean posted:

This is me and cinematics. I remember playing FF7 and loving it but thinking it would be so much cooler with more CINEMATICS and CUTSCENES but now I hate having gameplay interrupted by long-rear end cutscenes and I generally think that Hollywood shouldn't be informing how games tell stories.

I don't mind cinematics. There's obviously the MGS 4 Death Stranding Exception where it's a goddamn feature-length movie, but in general I'm happy to take a break and sip my drink while stuff happens. I absolutely prefer them to the popular modern alternative. Those moments where they lock you into a slow walking animation and your interaction is limited to pressing forward, sometimes to follow an NPC, while the game tries its best to make you look at the canned scene that's playing out somewhere on screen. See the intro town walkthrough in The Last of Us or... basically all of Red Dead Redemption 2. That poo poo is as much gameplay as SC is a space sim.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ggangensis posted:

this is exactly what Chris did with his "scope increase".

Coming relatively late to watching this project, like a motorist slowing down to watch a crash scene, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the history here. I thought (from reading posts) that CIG just threw up a "what would YOU like to see in SC?" post like any other dev would just to keep up the pretense of interacting with the community. Then reddit decided this actually constituted a legally binding vote and therefore it is the citizens to blame for the "required" scope increase. Did the crobbler ever actually point to that dumb poll as the reason for delaying the game indefinitely?

It's seriously hard to follow a narrative when it's constantly being rewritten.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Star Citizen: kill game, kill USER, restart

Rex's pretend roleplaying streams are great because they're the embodiment of reddit posting. He's turning dreams.txt into dreams.mp4 despite the game trying to thwart him at every turn. I don't know how many streamers got their Calders paycheck but Rex is definitely earning his.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

MilesK posted:

Ryan Archer tax

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It looks like it could be a trackball, or some sort of optical sensor that approximates a trackball. Then I thought maybe it was some sort of 3d mouse but it's so short there'd be no grip. The ebay listing linked the video for it. You'd bolt the stick and throttle to the keyboard (instead of having them ergonomically set up) in their mock-up. There's also mic/headphone inputs coming out of the... vertical thing so maybe it allowed you to plug your headset in and it's a camera? A fixed camera at keyboard height sounds like the kind of terrible idea crobberts would like.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Titanic posted:

The funniest part of this whole thing is how Chris Roberts sells Star Citizen but focuses on squadron 42.

This, except instead of being Squadron 42: The Video Game his interest is even further narrowed down to Squadron 42: The Movie. The cult is so firmly established at this point that no one cares if their Second Life In Space thing doesn't exist but actor mocap does. As funny as reddit is to mock the sad ending to all of this is that they'll let him absolve himself.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

This batch of legal updates is boring. Some investor drop another misinformed wad of cash on crobberts so he can hire back the youtube crew!

Beet Wagon posted:

Well yeah I mean why get six inches of failure when a footlong is only $5

Can I use this to cross-sandwich upgrade to a footlong and retain my lettuce/tomato insurance?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sir, you have not had "a long career in IT". I can see that by looking at you. With your definition of time it is fitting that you're playing a game designed by Senior Developers who need a permission slip signed to travel.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sum Mors posted:

<long Erectile: Dysfunction rant that should have been quoted>

They all hate E:D so much and it's hilarious. The Frontier forums are the same people yelling about the same levels of simulation/realism/whatever. If Elite ever implements spacelegs I am sure that they'll demand long 1:1 walks around massive space stations to sell goods or talk to factions and anything less is a slap in the face to the true fans. The only dividing line between the two groups is which space game they chose to get behind in 2012. If the SC people argued for the actual game instead of dreams.txt then they'd be screaming about how inferior Elite is for abstracting box collection and delivery.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

If somebody was really dead-set on spying on this or any other thread all they'd have to do is sign up with a username like "Cheese Demon" or something and then just... follow the rules about like, not calling people slurs or whatever. But I guess that's too much to ask from the homoerotic bears guy.

Finally, we get to the origin story of this so-called "Beet Wagon". The FUD was coming from inside the house all along!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I mean, that's kind of what we're watching. They just removed the time restriction and the sponsors are cultists.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Agony Aunt posted:

Are CIG trying to tell us something?

Crobberts has a weird rear end view of women and will die before this is done? Yes, yes CIG does.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

downout posted:

#1 Since many people speaking up and seem relatively invested often seem to say, "well hopefully there's a game one day", is there any evidence from the history of this project that you've seen that suggests this a possible outcome? I'm asking to those that still think this, but this is clearly a minority in the thread. And I be interested in anyone's responses that envision another outcome. Full disclosure, I have not purchased anything and do not intend to. I'm just curious how you see what is there given the current history of development.

The "well hopefully there's a game one day" statement doesn't seem to match your question. Sane, rational people who aren't being contrarian for internet cool points aren't rooting for it to be a scam - they're rooting for the people responsible to go down in flames because it's a scam. I think "I believe this game, as sold, will come out some day" is more the statement you're looking for. You'll probably need to go to a different forum or wait for Moma to come back.

While it's not goons, you can see the hopefuls in the quotes a few pages back. People who think that SC will be a reality, if not everything Chris promised, as long as they cut features and focus on priorities. Chris isn't an incompetent buffoon; he's just overly ambitious. Having a functional MMO and having a Battlefield knockoff are, in their minds, equal tasks and it's only the resource allocation that's been bungled. They're not the tojal/Vertisce caliber posters that have deified crobear and fiercely smite any intrusion by reality. Unfortunately these people are going to be rare because they're the kind that eventually sigh and bow out instead of doubling down on another Idris.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nalin posted:

I'm not going to be scared off. If anything I'll just get bored of the game and stop playing it for another year or two. That actually might happen in 3.9 because they are talking about making ships suffer "consequences" for flying fast. Slowing down combat speeds sounds nice, but in a game with lots of waiting, I don't want to wait even more to fly somewhere.

I mean if you enjoy it, that's cool. It looks like a nightmare from all the gifs in the thread but I have games in my top 5 of all time that most people hate so :shrug:

The real interesting question, as put forward originally, is do you think SC will be a thing? Like after reading/seeing everything so far do you still believe it will be the game promised eventually?

DOMDOM posted:

I played ED briefly, like enough to manually land the ship and fly around some points, but I only battled once or twice and can't remember poo poo

You honestly played about 95% of the game as is. It splits the difference nicely between realism and being game-ey by rewarding traditional flight simulator skills and flying with assist off. It flies beautifully, unlike SC's noclip implementation, and you really feel the difference between ships. It has amazing sound design. This all being said there's no game attached to this. Combat is against AI that flies perfectly without flight assist, has insane upgrades, and will endlessly spawn in billion-dollar ships to hound you for that single $10 crate in your hold. Making money is considered heresy and is largely based around watching forums for a gold rush tactic to abuse before it gets nerfed. The gameplay is imagining something and then pretending your headcanon is the game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dear Valentine, You're like a Cutlass Black to me. Both make me think of the inevitable consequences of piracy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

There are so many bad IT people out there, and many of them work for very high-profile companies. Next time you wonder how Huge Company X got all their client's data stolen, don't. You already know exactly how it happened.

2001: "I installed something at random from the internet!" - an idiot who risks getting fired for incompetence
2020: "I used docker and it just works!" - a creative genius who's really going places

It's not surprising anymore. If modern security experts were trying to secure a house they'd have you cement over tiny windows and post snipers above them while leaving the front door wide open. While it takes a whole new level of incompetence to gently caress up a windows install, which random unpaid devs on the internet manage to work out, the "fixes" do not surprise me in the slightest.

Agony Aunt posted:

Or do they file it under "Ah, but nobody has done this with X, Y, Z, on this particular scale, in this particular genre, using this particular engine before", and therfore have enough cavets to say its never been done before (exactly like this).

First you say it's never been done before, which to the cult and anyone barely paying attention to games sounds reasonable. If someone contradicts this you say it's a matter of scale, which may/may not be true depending on the subject matter. The final mic drop moment is dreams.txt, which absolutely no one can argue against because CIG is still in business and therefore anything is possible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I'm all for dressing professionally and working from nine to five and having a two day weekend. Of course, if people in IT did that then literally the entire industry would come crashing down, but we'd look very smart doing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's just tribalism. All true gamers know that X is bad and Y is good. I don't know if identifying as a brand is going to be called a mental disorder given it applies to every sports fan since the dawn of regional teams. When the object of their affection jumps the shark it's even weirder - watching Bioware/Blizzard fans throw out No True Scotsman arguments has been fun for a while. People think it's odd for nerd stuff because regional pride is considered a virtue and being a fan of a company is not.

In terms of SC you'd probably get a better read if you checked into the section on cults.