Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Rugganovich posted:

Did someone say Sizzle Reel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5PRMQ807Y

May have mentioned it before, drat loved that game made by my favourite dev's, Westwood Studios.

Jeez, that exudes late 90s/early 2k scifi. Makes me wonder if they watched this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_zwwQR_z_M) and said, "let's do that tv show as a game and go... beyond." :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I'm a bit late to the party so I took a trip over to r/starcitizen_trades and I honestly cannot believe people are buying jpegs. '600i' and 'deluxe ground vehicle pack' are just code-words for drugs or something right?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I am seriously concerned about the person with the plastic bag over their head.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

did anyone say Occam's Fundraiser yet?

Stole Citizer - Occam's Fundraider

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

TheAgent posted:

the amount of people in the world who can drop $5,000 on a alpha testbed spaceship is so infinitesimally small

I really want an in depth talk with some of the people who are buying this poo poo. like unless you are a serious dumbass millionaire how can you afford a $5k drop on some DLC that might be in the game in 3 to 5 years

who the gently caress are these people, seriously. like I know we have clifford and a few others, but there would have to be hundreds or thousands of them at this point

who the gently caress are these people?

Russian. Oligarchs.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Buying $15000 worth of video game spaceships is the prefect way to trigger those SJWs.

it just blows my goddamn mind that this the hill they want to die on, $15000 in the hole for the crobbler.

my friends keep asking me, "what is your obsession with SC? no one you know has even bought in" but i just... can't... stop... watching this trainwreck. i feel like the negative universe version of that guy who has his own discord containment channel to shill SC.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

did CIG also steal invent the likeness of Bobbie Draper from The Expanse?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Contingency posted:

Not that you guys would know any better, but I've got a year of Cisco ACI under my belt and being able to spin up a virtual switch is no different from writing netcode for a FPS MMO. I've looked at some packets with Wireshark and all CIG has to do is spin up more servers. Checkmate goonailures :smug:

I'm no John Videogames, but I'd love to do some packet/network analysis of SC to see just how bad it is. I think what you _could_ learn is things like:
- just how hosed is their wire protocol? I assume they either completely reimplemented TCP from scratch but with FIDELITY or they've purchased some really miserable JSON RPC middleware for it. or both. or its just generic cryengine networking with absolutely nothing done to it and server meshing and uint42 is a scam (surprise!)
- how much information is leaked to the client? again I assume there is MUCH extraneous fidelitous information sent to the client that someone could use to get the very personal inner feelings about the T-posed AI bartender standing on the bench over there.
- how many servers are they actually running? given some of the CIG's comments about AWS/EC2 from earlier in the thread, i'd be really surprised if they've actually tried to scale anything. my guess is everything jammed into is ONE BIG rear end X1 instance with no firewall whatsoever.

okay i'm interested. what's the bare rear end minimum i need to pay for a greymarket game account?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Experimental Skin posted:

Asp Explorer on the Frontier forum in the SC thread has done much of this already. It's just as hilarious as you imagine.

this pleases me and my wallet.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Anticheese posted:

Can we please get a link? :)

As it turns out, its rather hard to search for "ASP Explorer" on the Frontier forums and get Star Citizen information. Really Google, I mean it!

I did find this gem, however:

ASP Explorer posted:

Unfortunately, the networking is the single most important thing they can be working on. Far cleverer people than I can explain it in far greater detail, but until you have a working communications platform that can tell Instance Alpha Clients 2-99 that Client 1 is performing action such-and-such in container 0x11, which has a movement vector D along axis X,Y,Z, in object (a(a-1-99)) which translates as a Aurora with loadout (a(a(b(1-99))) and constructs (a(b(c(1-99))) with the pilot wearing a Space Rabbit Costume and is emoting ((lulzbucket)) in real-time, to all other entities in Instance Alpha - and receiving the reciprocating data from them in real-time, in a scalable dataset that doesn't have to be re-written every time they change a coordinate system or purchasable items in their shop, or they decide Hats are no longer visible over 1Km.

Without that - it's not a blocker, it's not a bug, it's not a "we hope to" - it's a stone dead project. Forever.

from here https://forums-new.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-star-citizen-thread-v5.259596/page-2111

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

i guess this website has turned me into a radical leftist because I don't see how a random "celebrate our community!" tweet with a screengrab of NPCs where some happen to be black is pandering to the libtards.

I WANT ALT-RIGHT SPACE ROME AND I WANT IT NOW! :cry:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

:reddit: Citizens got their first actual taste of a tangible SC product, but not from CIG. some guy turned the worthless Chairman's Club certificate into an honestly really nice looking laser-engraved plaque, put it up on Etsy, and was immediately overwhelmed with whale orders and had to take it back down.

strange times we live in.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
:reddit: has been encouraging the poor guy to partner with CIG. as if the guy wasn't getting crobbled enough.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

TheAgent posted:

omg aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfdiH81eY0

ive never seen this weird al video before, thanks!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

Regarding the guy making those admiral's club or whatever the poo poo plaques: Is this not infringing on CIG's IP?
He's definitely making profits off their marks like "Admiral's Club", the art from the certificate, and so on.

I also think it would make Chris mad because he didn't come up with this grift first.
I would expect it to be shut down pretty quick if it comes back on Etsy.

THOU SHALT NOT OUT GRIFT THE CROBBLER, CITIZEN!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

Jesus after all that fanfare about the fanfare about bartenders they give them like three idle barks. It's hilarious how many times you have to listen to "If yer not drinking I'm not makin a livin'." in just a minute or two in that video.

Star Citizer: If Yer Not Pledgin' I'm Not Makin' A Livin'

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
star citizen is the single most inspirational thing for me as an amateur game developer. every time i watch people clip through the floor $300M and 8 years later, i think to myself, "i'm really gonna make it".

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
at least Star Wars Galaxies had some cool (at least in concept) stuff like being able to build camps in the wilderness. you know, for camping mobs.

sometimes i think, assuming Crobear wasn't such a blatant scam artist, everyone would've been much happier if they instead tried to build Space Second Life. effectively that's what the hangar simulator has evolved into anyhow.

i guess the scam really falls apart, though, if you don't make pretenses that the $1200 ship (that punches above its weight btw) will definitely let you and your crew explore and conquer fidelitous content-filled craters.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
The space dogfighting clips I'm sure will be recycled for the confused mom demographic when squadron 54 vertical slices compete with star wars squadrons this fall. It actually looked kind of fun but also sorta generic and bland.

The team play voice acting grab rear end always makes me cringe. I think Division 2 or Density 2 or one of those games did the same crap with their preview vids. At least they released a game tho.

The FPS combat looks insanely jank which boggles the mind as to why they bothered to include it in this video. I guess they can't even get all-hands-on-deck for releasing Mark Hamil's hitchy mocapped rear end info the world before sterr werrs comes out

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

But in the minds of the Citizens anything represents progress, because CIG promised everything.

Star Citizer: Anything represents progress, because CIG promised everything

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

Dual Universe NDA lifted, apparently it's not good. Good MMO space games are basically just impossible it seems.

why is it bad? the people in the Dual Universe thread seem kinda excited about it?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i'm waiting for floundering amazon game studios to join forces with CIG :colbert:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Lammasu posted:

I'm still kind of new here. What is FUD exactly?

Fidelity.. something.. I can't be arsed.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so i gave this turd rocket a try during the free fly. i've followed this thread for some time, so here's a bulleted list of FUDster stuff from my first time with the game:
- Literally the first time I spawned and mashed enough buttons to get out of my wank pod, I fell through the floor and watched my body temperature go down as I fell through the sky and went splat.
- thanks to SA I know that elevators are the most important game system in SC. i was able to successfully navigate the elevator to and run to the tube
- a train showed up just as my train was leaving, jankily clipping through it fortunately the train i boarded carried me away through a rather long tunnel ride that i can only imagine is neat about 1 time.
- i called up some light fighter that undoubtedly punches above its weight and sheared something off trying to hover in the hangar bay. I sent many "o7 fellow citizens!!" messages and they told me the arcane button presses needed to open the hangar door.
- the server i was on had about 42 people on it, several of them bragging how much money they spent on the game. $2k here, $10k there, one guy claimed someone in his group dropped $20k and now they have unreleased jpegs to play with. IDK
- i was sorely disappointed by the lack of t-posed NPCs. i was promised t-posed NPCs.
- i flew to some space station and landed on a pad. i ran around looking for a bar and didn't find one, not did i find any t-posed NPCs. disappointed.
- i started to fly to some random planet (i dont know or care about any of the location names in this strange hangar simulator) to find a bar to drink with FELLOW CITIZENS :huh: but the destination was some 48,000,000km away and I got bored of waiting for quantum drive for 20 mintues.
- i suicided and woke up in the wank pod on the station I last visited and at that point was so bored that I uninstalled the game.

worth what i paid for it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

All CR wants to worry about is argon levels leaking between rooms of your ship, but he can't for the life of him make a game that's fun to play. All these incoherent one-off systems with no real inter-connectivity isn't going to magic up a fun game. This is kind of his MO where he throws a bunch of stuff into a pot and stirs it and hopes a fun game somehow emerges dynamically.

As someone doing amateur multiplayer game dev for fun, I can definitely see how this can easily be the case. Sometimes I feel like the only differences between my half bakery of disconnected ideas and SC are jpegs and $300M.

At least my servers don't crash :colbert:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

jfc I worked on persistence for an MMO and this is the saddest poo poo imaginable. It’s just complete loving nonsense. The idea that CI hasn’t managed to stand up a persistent storage solution in 9 years, while I managed to write a criminally overengineered first cut at a service that did write-back caching (more or less) with constant management interference BY MYSELF in less than a year means that I’m surely a turbonerd hypergenius savant.

I’m an idiot.

i'm a CTO of a persistent dynamic blockchain cache cloud and you don't understand that the first 90% of the work is the predecessor to the second 90% of the work. if you were really so smart you'd be working for CIG so the game can release by 2028. o7

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Functioning of thrusters in the future as envisioned by Star Citizen is indistinguishable from magic noclip.

Star Citizen: sufficiently advanced flight models are indistinguishable from no-clip

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

you know that feeling you're feeling right now? well, once the Digestion 3.1 pipeline comes online you'll be able to get food poisoning and vomit if you leave old hot dogs in your one space suit pocket for too long. o7 citizen.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Gamers on CIG's forums are strangely obsessed with 6+ year old games that they don't play.

I mean Elite Dangerous, not SC.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Why does it simply "appear"? Shouldn't it be drawn from storage through a real elevator from the ship storage area? And all of the ships are loaded by RSI super tugs into the storage module where you can work as a warehouse worker to load and unload ships and cargo all day to earn enough credits to become captain of your own ship?

I thought this was supposed to be physicalized inventory!!

I thought SC wasn't fake?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

It’s been fun to watch them walk back all of their promises of “physicalized” everything. The cargo decks were originally supposed to be these fully functioning industrial areas, where all of your cargo was unloaded off of your ship and NPCs and players would be handling complex machinery. Now it’s just more pointless/functionless space, where I guess you can pick up cargo missions, which you could previously do anywhere.

right, because it's obviously an insane and endless rabbit hole. no level of physicalized anything will be good enough because there's always some constituent component that needs to be in place before you can build the next thing.

like, okay, whose the guy that fills the big ben's noodle cup dispenser back up? who is his supplier? where is his ship and warehouse?
where do the ships get stored when you store them? What happens to that cargo you dropped off 9 hours ago?
where are the kegs for the space beer, obviously full of liquid? where do they get all of the hair to make a hairy roberts?

for those following along at home, the answers are obviously:
doesnt exist, doesnt exist, doesnt exist
doesnt exist, doesnt exist,
doesnt exist, chris roberts' backside.

do the elevators actually move from point A to point B, or does the box you're standing in just teleport? if it's the former, then why is it good enough for that to be "real" but the rest so fake?
if it's the latter, isn't that the same smoke and mirrors literally every game uses? the cognitive dissonance is bewildering.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

G0RF posted:

All the SC streamers are playing it tonight. Cap’n Richard, Astropub, Mitauchi, Baron and Twerk (earlier.)

They’re having a great time. It works. It has a skill curve. It’s beautiful. It’s VR. It’s “I wanna be a Star Wars flyboy in space!” Nobody cares about loading screens. Nobody cares about short cuts made. Nobody cares about any of the bullcrap Chris pretends is so singularly special and ambitious about his Star Wars knockoff boondoggle.

It’s fun. It’s immersive. It’s as close as they’d want to get to being “a hotshot pilot” making their way around an immersive verse. And once they’re done — whether that’s days or weeks from now — they’ll once again turn their attentions and streams to the endless waiting game that is “supporting Star Citizen / Squadron 42.” Only now they’ll be burdened with yet another frame of reference against which Chris’s games — should they ever release — will be judged against and found wanting. They’re professional chumps by now, weary and sometimes bitter about it, but to the chumping they must return. And sadly will.

does it have hotdogs and wankpods? didn't think so, FUDster.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
for real though, I've been playing the poo poo out of it and it's great. I suck horribly even with a HOTAS!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

My glass reflection has sexualized reflections of men who want to pound me in the butt while I sit in the cock-pit of my giant sentient penis expansion ship that wants to pound lesser plebs in the butt, and I look at the many reflections with lust on my mind.

honestly if they markted the game this way, it would crush all previous pledge numbers.

evidence: look at how many weird hentai games are on steam now.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is there a space game that hasn't thrown shade at CIG at this point? EA literally named their game "Squadrons", NMS has sandworms, ED had the bartender (AND space legs), Rebel Galaxy had some overt references I can't remember ATM. Starfield is the only one that hasn't- then again they haven't really shown anything about their game yet, so they have time.

Every year that goes by, Star Citizen becomes more and more of a joke.

Clearly C.R. (blessed be his name) inspired every other space game on the market today, and therefore Star Citizen was (and forever will be) a huge success by daring to dreams.txt regardless of the actual game.

The publishers know that Chris R-berts has them on the ropes so they're trying everything in their power to sink Star Citizen BUT CHRIS HAS ALREADY WON :colbert:

I have more fun staring at my ships and flying them in my head and therefore handing my stimulus cheque to CIG was a good investment.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
everyone calm down. this is clearly a SPOOKY HALLOWEEN EVENT at HAUNTED PORT OLISAR instead of a gamebreaking bug.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I love every Citizen post that contains the phrase, "if you knew anything about Chris Roberts..."

It's like they pulled it right out of the Star Citizen Shill Starter Kit (only $55!)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DigitalPenny posted:

Maybe all elevators should have teleporters as emergency exits for when they go floating off into oblivion. Might be easier to do than the panel re-work.

well that'd be awesome, semi-original and actually scifi so Crobbler will never do it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hate this auture theory bullshit where all credit gets ascribed to one man who's name was on the box, and all the other people who worked with him and made poo poo work get completely erased.

Roberts didn't even work on Wing Commander 2 right? Lmao. This is some Trump stuff right here.

Sooo... what you're saying is.. pledge now for President Crobear? I'm ready for the most transparent government and fidelitious presidency of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

This is so many levels of stupid, but I shall attempt to unpack it

quote:

The AI are "Flawless, it's great, as good as any other AAA game", according to someone

As good as any other game? Isn't Star Citizen AAAA quality?? Please, please start talking about subsumption.

quote:

In Star Citizen the current PU without server meshing has reached the limit that AWS servers can hold - previously everything in the PU was all on one server blade and the server blades did not communicate with each other.

Planning a multi-server project is something that should've been obvious from day one. They've been working on SSOCS and uint46 for literal years now.

quote:

Once the server issues are resolved the AI will be "flawless".

Oh, right. The AI is bound by the limits of an AWS instance. OK. CIG is AI'ing so hard that the AI is bursting at the digital seams.

quote:

The 'Where is Pico' contest was designed to get players to take an object with unique ID all around the playable system, and to have it persist in ships when logged out and back in - which it has.

Imagine, tens of Picos with unique IDs, but totally the same in every way. They're physicalized and cached! Amazing!

Even if this wasn't pointless.. do they really not have a way to do automated testing? Of course they don't, this is CI~G!

quote:

This shows that they have an early version of iCache working since parts the PU are reloaded according to what was on a server when it spun down, and that information in the iCache is used to spin up another server.

Star Citizen now has a database.

quote:

PU is broken into shards where each location is held on a server and you transition between servers out in space away from any landing zone locations, space stations, or moons it happens in real time

:hmmyes: and then the servers can send your data to another server because they can both talk to the database

quote:

Later comes full dynamic server meshing where shards (groups of servers)

CIG will learn to use spot instances. That's why they need the iCache.

quote:

you just can't have servers in Sydney talking in real time to servers in Texas without some lag because it takes time for a signal to travel down the cables and go through each connecting node

If Elon gets Starlink working with near zero lag from one side of the world...

As we all know, the speed of light only applies inside of cables. In space, it's instant because there's nothing for it to wave in. Elon knows this and I wouldn't be surprised if he invests in CIG soon.