Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Daztek posted:

He's toast

:vince:

:bravo::five::bravo::five::bravo::five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Burns posted:

We already have an SC thread in GBS.

How many bears

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Jim DiGriz posted:

Finally, Tier 1! Here's to thousands more pages of fun!

Excuse me, I notice you are not a platinum member. You won't be able to access the You must be a platinum member to read this text.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dogeh posted:

So if Store Citizer is in the Games section now, it must mean that it is a game now.

When did that happen?

He is beginning to believe.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Now Tane I can get into.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Merry Ghostmas, everyone. Stay frosty out there.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Which one of you idiots wants to die pointlessly in my Kenshi game?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

DarkDobe posted:

Having finally watched Blade Runner Two I can say with confidence that there is an untapped market for Chris in the form of Hologram Waifus (with portability upgrades) and various models of Replicants (for crew and 'other purposes')

Throw me in there! Tell me how I go.

My dude, you're going to live forever in the sweatshop.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

tuo posted:

Thank to all the kind words of you all! I really appreciate it, and I assume Jala (that was her name) as well!

e: btw, currently compiling all the fuckups. I won't include anything that only has to do with backers, only stuff from CIG. If I then find time, I'll try to add links to archive threads etc. (which means I won't)

Really sorry for the loss, tuo. It isn't easy and always feels like you didn't do something right.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

My friends, space will very shortly be saved. Kull Wahad,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vdZdHbcroU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Forums dying, can I please get a Stimpire.txt for posterity?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Two weeks, folks.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Out of boredom I dropped into a random 80 viewer Star Citizen stream and all it was was the streamer and someone else probably on discord discussing the new patch notes and talking about how literally everything in the game is completely broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It's clear that none of you have prepped for the July Blog.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

What a great story, thanks for sharing. I'm all out of ferrets at the moment but my neighbors just adopted a baby/orphan squirrel and it's cute af

After petting and playing and feeding it a bit it curled into a ball in my hand and went to sleep, I can't wait to see my new squirrel friend tomorrow :)

That sweet baby squirrel will sadly one day grow up and bite the gently caress out of everyone and then flee into the wilds. Hopefully he decides to chill in a nearby tree to get fed and hang out.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Rynoto posted:

Only sometimes! It's luck of the draw though whether they stay socialized or not and how they react to getting spooked.

It's still a bad idea to keep wild animals as pets if they're at all able and willing to return to the outside, though.

Yeah wasn't trying to doomsay, but they shouldn't try to "keep" him. Raise him, take care of him, let him go. If he wants to chill out, he will.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Keeping feral squirrels as pets is less irresponsible than Star Citizen tho

That's an insanely low bar to clear. You need to think of the welfare of a Star Citizen AI here.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Yeah that's their plan the only complication is that it's already getting accustomed to a few cats that are chill enough not to kill him on sight and we're worried he might think the other cats around here are as cool and good. They got a little cage thing for him for now and bring it in at night and put it outside in the day with the plan of doing this for 1-2 weeks before releasing him back to the hill we're on but he's a little character in the meantime

I don't think you guys have to worry. There is a documented sort of shift in behavior once they hit a certain age even if they were raised by hand. Enjoy it while it lasts though, he is super cute.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I'm the ab vein.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Squirrel update:

Welp, I'm in the squirrel raising business now too.. my neighbors found 2 more and also spotted the mom dead out on the street they think hit by a car so they're definitely orphans.
Lucky for us they're already furred because if they were much younger you need to stimulate their junk with a wet qtip to potty them!

This is Kodo and Podo, one is a lot more chill but both are super cute and they like to burrow into my shirt and snuggle up to the warm.
I took them out of their cage to clean it and reset the bedding but it's hard to get pics when there's 2 of them!

Here's Kodo, Podo had already tucked himself into the sock while they were chillin in the tub while I cleaned house

Here's Kodo making a big mess eating grapes and fig before I cleaned the cage

Here they are happily snuggling together in their sleeping bag after room service, if you look close you can see a little bit of squirrel poking out

Tools of the trade, fig, grapes, almonds, baby food and a little coffee creamer in a syringe

Eventually I'll get some good shots of them :v:

You're good people. All you need to do now is start painting and by God you got yourself a public access show.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen: Elevators are an important part of this game.

I need a clip of their bullshit loading screen crashing the game, stat.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It really is a cult, it's loving insane.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What blows me away about this whole thing is that all people wanted was an updated Freelancer, initially. Freelancer is absolutely not a complicated game. It has very basic systems. Like, the roadmap was there, how do you gently caress that up?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It's three AAA games now? :bravo:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

To be fair, if what it takes is to use the same engine, tech, and some re-used assets then the dudes at big "AAA" studios are developing like 7 AAA asscreed games and the like at the same time.

It tracks.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ronmcd posted:

She's seen it all before, she's endlessly walking past seeing Mike slumped in the corner, head in hands, ranting at the game he *hates* but can't stop for some reason. He doesn't even really play the game these days, just mines for a while, occasionally gets stream sniped, gives up, watches videos instead.

edit - however ... I've noticed his viewer numbers are actually quite good (for a SC streamer) so there's that. I mean, compared to Saurus. Now there's someone who REALLY hates the game he's hung his hat on.

He should take her advice and just stream actual game Stellaris.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Don't know about you guys, but I am excited about the best drat space sim ever.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kosumo posted:

I'm more than excited .... I'm tane rubbing.

Kosumo, with lust on his mind

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I tuned in to a former fighting game personality I used to like who happened to be playing Star Citizen. He was freaking out over "displays" of landspeeders. After he randomly glitched out and died trying to do some sort of control point mission, I got banned from the chat after asking if his group was supposed to do something other than stand there since no NPCs showed up to contest it.

Clip and and ship it, commandos. Game is good.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dwesa posted:

You were expected to imagine the potential for fun. Repent and buy Idris.

Nah. I'll just imagine one and get way more mileage out of it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

commando in tophat posted:

But what about the recognition of your fellow commandos when you show them you have the jpeg? What about the warm feeling in your heart when you fuel crobear's dream game by throwing money at it?

My friend, I don't need anyone to approve of my dream. It exists in the 'verse.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the star runner seriously comes with pre-installed smuggling tubes? i am just fuckin laffin now.

all the richest cartels use the Ford Coyote, with pre-installed drug compartments in the wheel wells. Customs doesnt know!

Yes I would like the floor model that comes with the built in smuggling option that definitely wouldn't be known about by literally everyone.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Merry Ghostmas everyone.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bit late, but someone asked about what a high effort tweet is and none of you linked Uncle Derek. Shame on you.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What happened to MoMA? Did he just dip out or did he go out in a blaze of glory?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Greg Haza posted:

I gave the guy $40 in 2013 and just gave him another $100 for a Cutlass Black.

:chanpop:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Can someone go ahead and tweak the Miribot so we can see Citizens getting mad about Elite?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

You goon idiots clearly don't understand game real estate development.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

FishMcCool posted:

I have spent the last two days reading this entire thread and I have to say, for people who have no interest in Star Citizen, you all seem to have a surprising obsession with it. I have run the stats to see the posting frequency distribution per individual and the lopsided histogram says it all about the MVPs.

Anyhow, it is clear to me that you don't believe in the project. I can't honestly blame you, faith is on the wane in this century, and gaming is no exception. But for someone like me who grew up in the 80s/90s, it's heartbreaking to see that a honest attempt at recapturing the magic of old pc games before they got tainted by commercial pressure from publishers and neoliberal investors looking for their pound of green flesh (I mean dollars, not orcs). And as a game developer myself, I'm all too familiar with that kind of pressure. I wish I had the courage of Mr Roberts to roll out my own company and make my dream game, but since I can't, supporting him is the next best thing and I don't regret my now-concierge status. It's not like it was a big expense either as it only grew organically over the (growing) lifetime of the project. Sure, it's not "released" yet, but then what really is a release these days? Tetris on the GameBoy is probably the last game I'd call actually released. Everything else since is a half-broken mess pushed out too early. I mean, just look at Star Wars Squadron or Subverse. Bugs all over the place, hotfixes... I wish I hadn't gone over the 2h mark so I could refund and transfer the money to CIG instead, they would use it better.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say. "But those games are there, I can play them, Star Citizen isn't there yet". Well, the PU is. Now, make no mistakes, it is early days and I'll be honest, I wish Squadron 42 wasn't a bit late, as I have always liked Gary Oldman and starring in my own movie with him is an exciting prospect. But ultimately, it's the living/breathing "second life" (but actually well done) experience that I'm really after. And this is now what you are getting with any other game. Well, apart from Second Life, but that ship has sailed and its engine is an outdated mess. Unless SL licenses Star Engine in the future, who knows? But in the meantime, nothing on the market offers what SC does. In what other game do you physically wake up in your bed each session? It's a small thing for you but for me, it's like I'm getting out there and my other me was just sleeping in the dimension I was inactive in. Then walking to the cockpit, inspecting everything around never gets old. What other game has you landing on planets from orbit like that? Sure, Elite does, Flight Simulator is pretty, and Kerbal has nice physics, but Elite doesn't have the planetary fidelity, FS isn't procedurally generated/extensible and lacks orbit/space anyhow, and please don't even mention Kerbal for immersion.

And then there is the walking. Because ships aren't everything in a space game. If you never leave the cockpit, it's like you "are" the ship. And then, does it make a difference whether you are a character, a ship or the Kamoshika line between Akita and Aomori? Leaving the seat is what gets to your mind, reminding you that you are a human, and that the ship is not you but a temporary extension of your body. Walking is what makes it worth. Yes, I agree with some of you, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's boring, and SC train lines are too slow (but then, that's the beauty of a fictional universe: Mr Roberts can simply decide that a new Train Tech has been discovered and double train ride speeds). But this is what makes you appreciate even more your ship's capacities, even a modest Aurora, when you get to it. Less is more, something that many of you have forgotten if I look at the posting numbers. Yes, in many ways SC is a walking simulator. But with a twist. And that twist happens to be the objectively best looking ships gaming has ever seen. I've always thought the Tiger's Claw from Wing Commander 2 couldn't be topped, but every new SC sale makes me even more wrong. And by forcing me to get out of my ship for human interactions, I get a reminder of the weak, fragile thing that a human body is. I have been chatting with many other pledgers over the years, and most agree with me. It is *incredible* what that walking transition achieves and how much it makes you think. It's always a little sad to log out afterwards in fact, because I have no ship to augment my feeble human body in the real world. The next best thing is my Tesla car (you may want to google 'Elon Musk', that's another visionary like Mr Roberts, and, surprise surprise, he also has space-related aspirations), but well, it's not quite the same. I'd be tempted to pass a pilot's license for the flying experience, but it's pretty expensive sadly, and the physical limitations of Cessna-class airplanes are probably frustrating when you're used to the Gladius.

Now I understand everyone doesn't feel the same, but please, try and keep this in mind before you criticize. Ask yourself "is my critic objective and constructive or am I slwoly turning into a hater?" before posting. Because negativity breeds negativity. I have seen it happen plenty of times, and not that long ago, another promising project by an old gaming visionary (Shroud of the Avatar) got dragged into that negativity spiral and left the project in a very sorry state, despite it being "released" somehow (remember my point about release?). Yes, we all want the game to happen faster, but it's already available in a limited section of its universe. And that's not even unique: the shameless ripoff that is Elite Odyssey is only available in a limited section of its own universe... And what is there, as I mentioned earlier, is unparalleled in gaming. And with blocking tech items such as vulkan, server meshing as well as the disruptive NPC subsumption that will be an inflexion point in the singularity curve of gaming, this is only getting better. Read this post again in 3 months time because I'm above going "I told you so", it's bad manners. And speaking of bad manners, please stop the misinformation and propaganda about Mr Roberts. Yes, some of his relatives work at his companies, but so what? This is not the first family business in the world, and a grown up responsibility is to provide for their family. Helping your partner/brother/niece to get a job is something we all do if we can. The only difference is the scale of the job/salary, but you know what? As a veteran of gaming and movies, Mr Roberts earned that, and it was powered by us, the fans, buying his previous games or watching his movies. So *we* chose to get him there. And the day I finally get to walk through the corridors of my Idris, I will try not to look too smug as you are there, lined up to salute me while working to save for your own ship.

Didn't read any of this. Cool post though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I was friend to Store Citizer. He taught me that when you grift, you're paid for it.