Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I pop in here every year or so to check if there's a game yet and once again I am not disappointed. I looked at the SC website as well and there... there's still only one star system? But it's ok because there's more ships that they've thought of. Amazing game, 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Beexoffel posted:

When is the eight year anniversary? Next week?

How long until Randy Pitchford buys out CIG and pushes Star Citizen out the door

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

shrach posted:

Not that I'm aware of. I don't think CI-etc would be eligible though since their business is booming and they presumably have no need to furlough any staff since they can work from home.

Doesn't mean they didn't "furlough" people to get the money and then get them to work anyway

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Welcome spacefriend!

Pull up an Idris and we shall watch this dumpster fire together. To ten more years of Star Citizen!

A citizer that will last a thousand years

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

If I recall correctly Robocop 2 had a meta scene of a board meeting where they talk about how making another Robocop is a bad idea.

Not only that but they literally make a bunch of Robocops that fail (the funniest one being the one that shoots everyone around it then itself) and then their final Robocop 2 is powered by the brain of a deranged junkie and also goes wrong. The entire film is pretty much refuting it's own need to exist.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

communism bitch posted:

ED has billions of planets? Well SC is going to have trillions of planets, and will meticulously simulate billions of years of geology and organic evolution for every single planet, so one day you'll be able to land on a rocky world and excavate real alien dinosaur bones! And then you'll be able to host a xenopaleography conference and invite other alien dinosaur experts to give talks on their findings! And maybe your findings will be published in the journal of astro xeno biology which is an in-game newspaper run by players! You'll even get interviewed on space TV!!

Note: Dino bones will currently spawn inside ships and players rather than in the ground, space TV is still awaiting the release of the space TV spaceship and the journals are not and will never be peer reviewed

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

NumptyScrub posted:

Was talking to an IRL friend of mine who is big into ED, and they are studiously trying to ignore that ED has been released for long enough now that it is hitting end of life, which saddens them. Unfortunately in the same conversation they started telling me how they thought SC "looks amazing" (SC was reintroduced to them via the whole ex-Odyssey streamer thing) and I am now worried they are going to buy in, despite me having told them for years how it's a dumpster fire made of incompetence and dreams.txt

Not gonna :sever: because I believe they are worth saving, but what's the thread opinion on how heavy to rip the piss out of them if they do buy in? Have known this person 20+ years so comfortable being brutally honest with them

Point and laugh while projecting an endless stream of bug videos onto the wall behind you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Guys, what if everyone working at CIG has Memento disease and they keep forgetting what they're working on and they're develping their game like a code version of an exquisite corpse

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

busalover posted:

afaik all you need to do is to send them id

I think it's that plus the idea that someone might try to impersonate you. I bet there were a load of fake Lesnick accounts at some point and that drove him to get verified.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Why is anyone throwing money at molyneux at this point? The last actual, complete game he designed was over a decade ago at this point, everything since has been junk like "what's in the cube" and Godus. Remember that RPS interview he did when it was clear Godus was hosed? It was hilarious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dwesa posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if those sales are fabricated to lure suckers as someone mentioned earlier.

But then there is :crobear: whose last finished game was 2 decades ago and some people spent last decade throwing money at his vaporware, so...

↑ or money laundering, yeah

Oh, I guess when the kickstarter for SC went live, :crobear: was only a decade out from Freelancer, so it's consistent with Molyneaux at least.

Also I just read the RPS interview again and I'd forgotten the OPENING QUESTION is "Do you think that you're a pathological liar?" and it's all downhill from there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

commando in tophat posted:

Is the blockchain just the new "cloud"? I mean, except more stupid

It's like that, only imagine if instead of the cloud just being other people's computers, it also used as much energy as Finland.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sammus posted:

Molyneaux is a legit genius when it comes to saying the right things to get people to open their wallets. I would compare him to Chris Roberts, but Moltneaux delivers a finished product, so he’s more like Sean Murray, where he delivers a finished product but it’s massively different from the one he hyped for months.

I’m totally speaking too kindly of him, because he really does outright lie about his games. I don’t think you ever could grow an acorn into an oak in fable (But Star Citizen’s persistence can fix this!) and I’m 99% sure that cube game thing was a huge scam and didn’t even pay out like it was promised.

It did, but the prize was a share of the revenue from Godus and it made no money because they never finished it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

no_recall posted:

Its going to be 10 years since the announcement, I still have that golden ticket email somewhere.

Also, I still can't believe Chris believes that CIG has been competent in delivering an actual product. Am I delusional? Maybe I need another Idris.

I've still got the physical Star Citizen ID card thing on my desk, the only physical goods that the kickstarter will ever deliver.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

More great stuff from Spectrum.

CIG and coding.

Yes this code must be organised because the game runs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mellow_ posted:

Are they some SC nerd? They're a very bad poster.

I think they just like shitposting

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

:doink:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

dr_rat posted:

People often say that the SC community is the best part. lol.

It is the best part because aside from videos telling you what new jpeg to buy it's the only part

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Trilobite posted:

They're basically just running deckchair-rearranging drills while waiting for the iceberg to hit. Someone noticed the old space station didn't have CARGO or HOSPITAL "gameplay" and didn't even have any tedious public transit to keep players busy doing nothing, so here comes space station 2.0.

Maybe. Eventually. You know, if it doesn't turn out to be another thing that gets punted to a future patch because nobody can figure out how to actually replace the old space station without breaking their ugly CryEngine hacks even more than they already are.

They'll manage something like removing the space station but if you fly your ship into the wrong place where it used to be you'll materialise inside it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

"You son of a bitch! You moved the station, but you didn't move the loading zones!"

Oh I meant worse than that, somehow your ship is in the previously walkable sections of the station.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

The station becomes the player. Every part of the station made out of nightmarish cronenberg-esque body horror as the game loads the player model for every part of the station, before twisting and warping them to the proper shapes. Hand rails made of mile-long player. Floor tiles of player crushed down and stretched out to make the meter by meter plates. Every stair a seperate player, staring at you with long-dead eyes.

Attempting to delete the nightmare station leaves a void in the programming causing anyone to load into the game to suffer a crash so bad it corrupts their computer registry and erases the BIOS (it was a particularly bad crash).

I have no ship. And I must station.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

I am still pissed Hobbes was a double agent all along.

That revelation played out leaving the same taste as Saul Tigh being a Cylon.

He was the most human and flawed and best character and he is a loving Cylon? :wtc:

Hobbes was cool. We didn’t deserve that heel turn.

What's worse is the cowardly "sleeper personality" bullshit. Because the idea that the likable character could decide to betray you was unpalatable to Roberts, so it just turns out that likable character never really existed lol.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How do any of you read his posts without your eyes unfocusing and your brain sliding out of your ears

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Web Madness posted:

I just wanted Freelancer 2 :negative:

Good news, what you're getting is what Freelancer wouldn't been if Microsoft hadn't prised Roberts hands from off it and turned it into a game that could actually be released!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Is server meshing just servers talking to each other?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

trucutru posted:

It's servers able to collaborate to share the server load. The idea is that if there are too many players in Orgrimmar and the server cannot handle it you just run an extra server and transfer some of that load to it.

FishMcCool posted:

Server Meshing is what happened when Crobear realised server load wasn't actually solved simply by asking AWS to run more servers.

So since Amazon is unable to do it, CIG is inventing a technology never done before and will revolutionise cloud computing when they release. Google, Amazon and Microsoft will then be fighting each other to be the first to license the new tech. Just like they will be licensing high precision numbers, ternary bits, river tech and hotdogs.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm by no means a computer expert, but wouldn't servers talking to each other also increase server load since, you know, that's data too?

So it's load balancing but for N servers instead of for a fixed number?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tippis posted:

Worse. It's assumed load balancing based on the CRobber wish that 50 clients + 50 clients = 51 clients. Rather than, you know, 100 (+ overhead).

Thank you for this, I now understand why this would be revolutionary and why it is currently not actually happening (nor is it likely to).

Torquemada posted:

Knowing nothing about computers, I can imagine micro scenarios where parts of this bullshit make sense, but my brain revolts when I try to translate it to a larger scale.

Scenario one: Ted is in a pirate bar on Pyrex or whatever, and the meeting he's at turns out to be a trap. Fortunately, his buddy Bill is in geosynchronous orbit in an Idris. Ted runs out of the bar yelling on comms for help, and Bill drops a kinetic energy weapon on it, killing all the bad guys. Ted gets in his snub fighter, docks with the Idris, and Bill and Ted fly off into the sunset.

My extremely limited understanding is that the Idris and the bar are two separate entities in this case? A bar has a ton of npcs (and a Turing-capable bartender) and a billion bits of physicalised poo poo like clothes, glasses, food plates, windows, lights, pipes, bottles and whatnot. Likewise an Idris is full of physicalised crap as well as a bunch of npcs.

It makes sense to my brain that these two things be kept apart, because Ted doesn't need the Idris information in the bar, and Bill doesn't need very much of the bar information apart from its location.

As soon as you add more people, say a big space battle or large scale gunfight, the complexity of the information climbs exponentially, since every thing needs to interact with every other thing. I can't see how roping stuff off into separated areas has any effect on the total amount of information that needs to be processed? I obviously don't understand game development.

I guess the idea is you can do all the computing in seperate spaces and then just communicate the results to the other linked spaces. Like, you don't need to know what set of physics variables combined to make spaceship A change location by x y and z, you just need to know that's where it is now. Except you kind of DO need to know how it got there so it doesn't just teleport around on another player's screen, so you need to then build some extrapolation into the client as well I guess. Maybe? I dunno, I have always understood networking stuff to be some of the most complicated poo poo you can do with computers and tried to avoid it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's very funny that the SC community makes loving Asmongold look normal and reasonable

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That bird is hilarious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lammasu posted:

I'm still not clear on what the different food stuff does. The entire point of consumables is that they do something.

CIG introducing something that exists solely for you to consume it with no benefit is extremely in keeping with the game's themes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I feel like it would be embarrassing to modify an existing engine and then sell it as your own new ground breaking engine. Especially if your engine had people swimming in space recently.

I mean if anyone involved in this project felt shame you'd be right

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

pisshead posted:

Wanted to try this thing for the 'free fly' but I think by the time it's installed it'll have run out. Why is it taking so long?

But when does the Zybourne clock go back in time to the kickstarter?

Imagine four jpegs on the edge of a kickstarter

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

pokie posted:

FWIW in the past RPS mocked SC now and then, so it's a bit surprising.

RPS got bought out by "Gamer Network" like five years ago and I think pretty much all the original writers are long gone, so a change in tone isn't super surprising given it's barely the same publication any more.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tippis posted:

It only makes sense. Based on the Wing Commander movie, Chris isn't all that familiar with any of the Wing Commander games.

He's credited with directing the movie though, so you'd think he'd have seen all the things in it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mr Fronts posted:

Why not both? Cat content AND star citizen in one!…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blPpnnSOiwk

Am I remembering right that someone reuploaded this without the furry stuff and the original poster got real mad?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

Oh, for sure a real thing, yup. This particular furry / person i don't know what they prefer to be called, did a couple of them if i'm not mistaken. That's definitely someone's very real fursona and chosen voice.

If I remember rightly they paid to be able to send a bunch of questions in to Croberts, rather than talk to him live. He had no idea that he was going to be edited together with the question asker in that way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I just rewatched hbomberguy's best of 2016 video and he makes a joke about how he loves No Man's Sky and it's going to take two years to get it to the game they advertised it as being and that everyone will be playing Star Citizen by then, and then sniggers at the idea it'll be out. We're coming up to a decade of mocking how long this thing is taking.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I assume SQ42 being complete is functionally meaningless until SC itself is at least feature complete, right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sandweed posted:

Enron had 20000 employees when they got shut down for being a huge scam.

It took them a lot of manpower to make up numbers that big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

I’m sure Chris just needs to spend the festive period doing a little light polishing and tweaking before giving us the gift of Gary Parpman.

I hope that they've taken the opportunity to replace all of Oldman's performances with bits taken from the Slow Horses TV show.