Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FishMcCool posted:

€213 for a pretend spaceship.

I will always laugh that for this much you can buy a whole drat fleet on the unity asset store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I finally got around to playing FTL-ish game Crying Suns, and one of the factions are non-ironically stimpire-ing themselves to death because they think it will wake up all the shut-down robots who used to do everything for everyone. :allears:

No word on if they're using the worst kind of electricity, though.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

You know it's funny, Metro Last Light went through the trouble of doing a 'good enough' fake cloth algorithm too for use in a single scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CxFI1tjTQ&t=82s
So it's not *totally* unheard of, but lol SC.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

It's hard to overstate how loving cursed it is to commute in Austin. Hopefully that guy lands on his feet. I bet croberts was so mad when Elon moved in, making croberts no longer the biggest tech douchebag hypescammer in town

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

So I finally got around to finishing Chorus, a space game made with about 1/hojilionth the budget of Star Citizen. It's pretty clear they used a lot of unity store bought assets but the core gameplay with its arcadey as hell flight model, complete with rad drift ability and an insanely low time to kill make it a transcendentally good space combat game. Interesting vibes too as you fight a powerful space cult.

I can't help but guess that any meaningful level of combat in star citizen can't help but be a goddamn mess by contrast. Just absolute jank. But I suppose none of the cultists in SC are playing for the combat.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

There was some video a while back where a guy was going through the leaked 2001 dev build of Duke Nukem Forever. It had a modeled playable pinball machine.

I think about that a lot in this thread

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I'm sure others have already put this together, but there's about 0% chance those fundraising numbers aren't hilariously inflated. Their social media engagement is absolutely pathetic, and they almost certainly artificially fudged the numbers to get the headline. Gonna lol if they're doing stupid poo poo like counting uncollected 'future' pledge money.

You just know some of these losers would put Star Citizen in their will if CIG asked though.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Wow if only there was some kind of a place where people could go to find out about employers, oh wait,

"Do not work in QA here" https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Cloud-Imperium-Games-RVW66996148.htm 

quote:

Jul 21, 2022 — QA Analyst,  Austin, TX

Recommend

CEO Approval

Business Outlook

Pros

-Entry level QA job -Free soda

Cons

-Long commute to Bee Cave, TX(1 hour+ ) -Terrible management -Terrible pay(Went from $15 to $16 over 4 years) -Terrible pipeline(Overtime is necessary every patch release) -No impact or ownership cause Chris Roberts will be your CEO/Game Director/Game Designer/Artist/Engineer/etc. -No WFH -Promotions are random at best, regardless of how much interest or work you put in. For real, DO NOT work here. They have had a roadmap that goes nowhere for like 5 years. You will be overworked cause anyone who actually tried here quit awhile ago. The rest will be people who dont mind working dead end jobs cause they dont know any better or dont care. 3 QA Managers have quit in the 4 years I was there. One person went a whole year without writing a bug and still got promoted. You will be told that CIG is making tons of money, but you will never see any of it in raise or promotion.

Advice to Management

Lol nothing is going to fix this until leadership is gutted. Just shut down ATX QA already so people can finally be forced to move onto clearly better jobs than this. As someone who worked there for far too long, I can 100% say that better jobs with better management and better people exist. This place is just slowly rotting.

Just FUD I'm sure

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

The very existence of Star Citizen as a project is a measurable contributor to my struggles with derealization. In a vacuum it is an anomaly, but grouped with all the other things going on in the world, my daily mantra for the past few years has been, "Is anybody else seeing this poo poo?" This forum, and the posters within, are a tether to sanity that I'm thankful for.

I hear this in a big way. It's a pretty illustrative example. Not a big leap from 'Star Citizen is a grift!' to 'Wait a minute, loving everything is a grift!'

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

God, I wish I could be there to see these smug pricks' expressions when CIG inevitably runs out of money. With luck maybe some of them will livestream their reactions.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

get crazy with the weather and ground hazards as the planets are devastated by system-wide gravitational shifts, stellar ejections, and rampant pollution. get even crazier with the mining rigs designed for such a hostile environment: semi-permanent outposts on fault zones above magma chambers with lunar module-style hab modules that can rocket up and away at a moment's notice. full-on mobile buildings like in starcraft. habitats and landing pads floating in a thin layer of breathable air and tethered to drill platforms below like a kelp forest in an ocean of toxic gases.
This is kind of the vibe that gives The Outer Wilds its character, a game none of the citizen cult have ever heard of, nor likely will ever.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Every twitter post just has such absolutely pathetic engagement, you would think they wouldn't bother. loving local sandwich shops have more engagement than this.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

shrach posted:

I doubt it is a share split, but instead sub classes of shares.

It's presumably to make it easier to pay dividends to just the minority investors. The problem with the dividend they paid out is that because it was all the same class of share, Chris himself would have received 60 odd percent or whatever. Giving people/entities each a single class A, B, C, D, etc share means you can declare dividends on those different classes of share to distribute dividends differently to the overall share holdings. Eg: They can pay Calders back their investment of ~£30mil without having to also pay Chris dividends of like ~£180m along the way. This is where you need to see shareholder agreements and such that won't be filed.

Now it's been a while since I was in graduate business school, and I'm just assuming UK bankruptcy law is similar to the US', but I can't help but wonder if they're setting up some new preferred stock for certain people to shift their ownership to, such that they get paid out before any common bagstockholders in bankruptcy proceedings.

Of course, I'd be pretty surprised if any shareholders got much of anything if CIG went bankrupt, it would have to go to the creditors first, but one can't help but wonder. Maybe their crowdfunding cashflow lets their operation run with relatively low amounts of debt.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Ok, so, admittedly this was like a decade ago, in what must have been the first incarnation of the thread, but does anybody remember some kind of corporate filing CIG did where the associated lawyer's email address was something like 'Bettercallsaul@aol.com'? I just finished the series (excellent, would recommend) and somehow recalled something like that. Somewhat fitting that the email that was just a breaking bad reference at the time has now run its entire course as a show.

Saul probably could have made a better Star Citizen too, at least he would have delivered something on time :colbert:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

The Titanic posted:

I think the best thing so far is the hope that cig is about to roll out an auto-mod system that will inevitably backfire and ban heavy backers and let everybody know even more that all cig really wants is your money, not your words or opinions or you even playing the game.

In fact I think the "Make a Post" button on the spectrum or whatever it is called just goes directly to the "Donate now!" payment page and people can just pretend to post the same way they pretend to play the game.

I'd laugh if they implemented a $10 ban repeal option, but I suppose gatekeeping posting like that would make their pathetic community yet smaller.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Their latest ISC has their Lead Environment Artist showing how his teams organize their work and predict how long tasks will take by using...Microsoft Excel?

I'm genuinely curious, is this normal? Shouldn't they be using some software designed for this kind of stuff?

Timestamped video link:

https://youtu.be/-0cIaf3mPLw?t=200

There are a variety of different software options for project management. Jira, Trello, Smartsheet, etc that all offer a variety of different workflows and tools.

The desktop version of Excel is basically the dumbest possible project management. If they were using excel in a shared way through office online or whatever at least that would be easily accessible to multiple people in the cloud.

I suppose it's better than a flat .txt file, but nothing else.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 28, 2022

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not defending CIG here, but the desktop version of Excel works seamlessly on the cloud, it syncs instantly just as if you're using the online version.

Ok fair, admittedly I haven't used it like that, but I still think that's bad vibes to say the least. :colbert:

E: I wonder if their backups are just some guy's onedrive account, lmao

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 28, 2022

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sharepoint/Onedrive/Office365 is absolutely a business-class product that's meant for large teams like this.

Oh for sure. I just wouldn't have any faith in them at all to use them in a sane enterprise way. Their entire company is a governance clusterfuck. Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if stuff was just haphazardly backed up on random employees' personal OneDrives.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Trilobite posted:

This is Star Citizen, pal. Nothing has or will be added, it's all just announcements of intentions of intermediate steps towards plans for adding things; actually doing things is honestly more than the engine can support at this point.

In Star Citizen's case we can call this a (lack of) Xenos Paradox.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

On the scales of things that are never going to happen perhaps the neverest is star citizen VR.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

"No, that still looks too close to the Anaconda, give it more pointless geometry"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

It has just a teeny tinsy flaw, it can't turn left during atmospheric flight. :lol:

But if you complain about it it's your fault for not understanding how aerodynamics work.

Seriously, it's not CIG failing at ship design, the engineers at Drake made a lovely ship on purpose!

Every other day these clowns somehow defy parody.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I have so, so much more respect for people who spend money on like, weird DeviantArt commissions or even high end fursuits. At least those things exist.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

100% they ripped the idea of the modular interiors for the Galaxy from the No Man's Sky Freighter mechanics. Not to get all 'Simpsons did it' but... it's pretty striking.

Not that they even remotely have the manpower or ability to pull it off, of course.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I adamantly refuse to believe there are that many suckers still pulling the trigger on this stuff.

If there legitimately are, well, the remnants of CIG better pony up for some security when things finally and inevitably collapse.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Pretty rich that even his insults are utterly derivative of those of other game communities. Very reminiscent of early Eve Online's "Go play hello kitty online" discourse. Cat weirdo is the community member a "project" like star citizen deserves.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Ok I made the mistake of actually reading some of that, what the gently caress is he talking about? Is CIG claiming to have invented some kind of new form of normal map that has multiple color gradients? loving what? Even if that is real what the gently caress would that even buy them?

Big lol at crowing over physically based rendering too as if that hasn't been a normal feature on game engines for years now, I remember when it was added to unity.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

corn on the cop posted:

there's no way anyone could ever be this much of a boring knob on purpose

You know we have <insert subforum here> right?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

colonelwest posted:

Piss Cat has to be the absolute last believer in the “millions of life-like NPCs” promise. CIG itself has been walking that back for years, and the dream pretty much died among citizens years ago when they put Hurston in the game and Loreville turned out to be a tiny area with a dozen NPCs t-posing and standing on chairs. The NPCs in Oblivion are light years beyond what CIG currently has in SC.

Even CIG not stupid enough to promise "The Valley of the Heads" from the abandoned game studio in Disco Elysium

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

The Titanic posted:

Do red lasers still mean bad guys?

In actual space sims, yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMa3LXe6oVc&t=106s

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Shazback posted:

Just saw an article about "Portal with RTX".

To me, it's a pretty weird concept that someone would have spent time on such a project when the original Portal is graphically fine, and apart from minor improvements to the lighting I can't even really imagine what it improves. For sure it won't improve the gameplay and the puzzles which are 100% Portal's selling point.

So I guess to start citizens it just got 10x better.

It also has crashing problems and low framerates so citizens will feel right at home. :colbert:

Still pretty cool though, admittedly, once you play with the settings enough.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

Speaking of people who have wasted their lives, what's Lethality up to?

probably still tweeting weirdly with single digit engagement

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Kosumo posted:

Can you all image the dread that the CIG employees must be feeling right now, knowing that Chris Roberts is going to go watch Avatar: The Way of Water any day now and the ideas he will steal have once he has seen it.

He's going to see the high framerate and get really really confused

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

This dumb bastard has 8.5K posts of this poo poo.

Like, how do you just keep posting through, continually being wrong about essentially everything you post, how do you not just slink away? Do the community just not tell him how utterly wrong about this poo poo he is? Does nobody left in there have even the slightest idea about any of this poo poo? The mind boggles.

E: loving hell, I'm closing in on two decades on SA and I don't even have that many posts.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

God, the flight model poo poo is hilarious. The basic core experience of a combat-oriented space sim, with an alleged industry veteran at the helm, after 10 years of work, and you can literally see the transform.Translate() call or whatever the cryengine equivalent is in the videos of atmospheric flight.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

New Legatus Pack just dropped! :trustme:___:shepspends:

2952 is the estimated release date, right?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

Entire YouTube channels are built over breaking the game / servers, what did they honestly expect to happen?

If Let's Game it Out joined a star citizen server, the server would immediately shut itself down in fear.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Tag yourself - I'm the garbage looking riparian zone

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Sandepande posted:

Does that mean being alive?

I guess living in the past is a kind of living :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

NumptyScrub posted:

:10bux: says it's an identity / signing cert used by the installer that expired, that has since been renewed but nobody can be bothered rebuilding the installer package so that it works.

Peak CIG

Cert Citizen