Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gaz-L posted:

It's why Barton won, he just legit beat the others to the point they couldn't work the results. And then refused to let Butterbean work the boxing match.

This story has the perfect mix of emotions: loathing for WWE for being such short-sighted and and petty idiots, sympathy for Bart for doing his job and being shoved face-first into an approaching freight train, and :3: for Butterbean for offering to work the match and being very chill about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

To be fair boxing records are largely a work, where promoters will pad fighters records by giving them jobbers to beat up.

Heh, losers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nystral posted:

When I saw the name I groaned out loud because of course WCW would be that dumb and that snarky. IIRC she was a blip and disappeared shortly after her debut. I think Major Gunns lasted longer then ASYA did.

MassRafTer posted:

She was around for almost a year and a half and had a bunch of weird storylines including Dale Torborg being tormented by the Demon. Major Gunns was Major Gunns for less time but both of them were in WCW for about a year and a half.

Half-remembering something dumb, being sure that it couldn't have lasted for more than a few weeks only to learn that it lasted a year and was even dumber than you remember. Now THAT is the WCW Experience.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Some real men/women of genius ITT

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vandar posted:

APA Bradshaw was great and I liked seeing him on tv when I was younger.

JBL sucked because who the gently caress wants to see the WWE's take on George Dubya Bush?

I mean, at least JBL was a heel and showed rear end sometimes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cavauro posted:

brodie lee's act as the exalted one included a lot of vince mannerisms. it branched out from there but you could say the gimmick was mostly vince-based early on

Makes sense, Brodie Lee's whole act in AEW was "the Higher Power done right".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Thanks for that writeup, particularly as thanks to this thread I now laugh every time I see Vince McMahon having a babyface's motivation be "just here to have fun"

The last, and possibly worst time this happened before I quit watching WWE was with Asuka. They should have made her sing a karaoke-version of the Cyndi Lauper song.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

And it's not like Lord Tensai did anything significant or any especially Lord Tensai-ish things during that time. I think he beat Cena in his debut, but that was it for him. He was just another body after that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Every time he makes his entrance,he switches them off, then he switches them on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Konstantine Kyros? The guy that keeps suing WWE and getting it dismissed?

And that’s a shame about Berzerker, he seemed like a nice guy.

Which means I started the clock for someone to come in and tell me he has a puppy murder farm.

Only a select few WWE people are truly evil like that. Most are your run of the mill domestic abusers, drunk drivers and people who are just generally bad at the whole "basic human decency" thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Ah, must be a regional thing. Hearing about wrestlers going freelance is fairly comon among the Japanese promotions I follow so I assumed it was industry wide

Might be a part of the weird-rear end American wrestling vernacular that only exists to circumvent labor laws.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The best thing about having kids that are between two and six years old is that it's really really easy to powerbomb them. It's great fun. They love it, too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ken Anderson is the guy you can't do a stalled vertical suplex to. I don't know if anybody ever tried, but god help them if they did. More than most other wrestling moves, the stalled vertical suplex requires cooperation and a fuckton of body tension from both people involved. That's what makes it so impressive when guys like Big Show take one, it's not just about the strength of the guy delivering, but a genuine athletic feat to take it. And that is what makes it look great despite looking "fake".

Ken Anderson would just waggle around like a sack of wet poo poo in an attempt to make it look "realistic", threatening to get himself into a shoot brainbuster and/or hurting his partner. It's an awful and selfish concept of selling and ring psychology.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Edge should do a stalling vertical suplex as a signature move and call it the Edging Suplex.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sometimes the heel throws the face outside and the ref tries to stop him from following.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cavauro posted:

in the iron man match i noticed many people do not know what's going on no matter what. i'd like to propose a 'card' system for referees to use for signifying that a ruling has been made and what the ruling is. when someone is disqualified the referee can hold up a card painted in sherwinn williams' 'Rivulet'. when s omeone is in danger of being disqualified should they break the rules again, the card could be the Behr 'Aqua Rapids' instead.

The referee gets a paintball gun and shoots the poo poo out of whoever got disqualified. Like, straight up shoots him for as long as there is anything left to shoot him with. Then kick the remains out of the ring, ref gets a new gun and the wrestlers continue, much more gingerly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Gavok I just want to say, I really appreciate and enjoy the way you recount stories from Chikara.

As for the OP; Batista felt so wronged by Rey Mysterio that he had to beat him up. I can't remember what the issue was, but Batista screaming "you were supposda be mah friend!" was the genesis of Douchetista and it ruled.

It was also memorable because it was, well, Batista, chucking around, well, Rey Mysterio.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Punk is nu-metal Hulk Hogan, and I say that as a Punk fan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I started identifying as a teetotaller rather than Straightedge years ago because I never do any kind of recreational drug but I'm on a lot of meds.

I think Triple H is a teetotaller. Between him and CM Punk, Imma crack open a beer rn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vade Vansen

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BodyMassageMachine posted:

This one for sure. Devastated we never got Vince’s hobo army :sigh:

In a way, all independent contractors for WWE are part of Vince's hobo army.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vade Vansen

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

... and there was that 5 star ladder clusterfuck, which was probably a bit overrated but still quite good.

I don't keep up with WWE, is there anyone from that match who hasn't turned out to be abusive or a Nazi and who hasn't been booked to be the loserest loser who ever lost?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

In the past three years
- He had a long back and forth feud with Baron Corbin over a crown
- He won the IC belt off Nigerian Warlord Apollo Crews and then didn't defend the belt for eight months before losing it to Sami Zayn in his second defense
- He formed a tag team with BOOGS and got onto the main card of a PPV for the first time in two years, but in the match BOOGS blew out his quad a few minutes in and the team got scrapped
- He sort of filled in for Orton as Riddle's sidekick in a feud against the Bloodline for a few weeks then disappeared
- He came back to put over Gunther in a short program
- Then he appeared once in NXT
- Then he was a surprise tag team partner for Hit Row on an episode of Smackdown
- Then he disappeared from television for like six months (he continued to appear on house shows and wrestled Muta at his retirement show in Japan)
- Recently he got drafted to Raw, where he started a feud with the Miz

It's very considerate of WWE and Nakamura to not make me miss anything he's doing there while I am busy not watching WWE.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah I remember liking Corbin in NXT because he was a greasy shithead lone wolf biker with some charisma, then WWE put the patented rear end in a top hat In Suit gimmick on him. I caught a bit of the Sad Corbin stuff on my out of even reading about WWE and liking it, but man was it ever too little, too late and transparently not going to last.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Batista the actual best actor who had previously been a professional wrestler? Cena is apparently a lot better but I can't imagine he holds a candle to Batista. The Rock just plays The Rock in every movie.

Cena in Peacemaker is incredible, but it's still a very loud performance where Cena gets to yell gently caress a lot. On that basis it's hard to compare him to Batista since Big Dave actually managed to get in some quieter roles like in Blade Runner 2.

What we really need in order to decide is a drama starring those two. Like, Brokeback Mountain but for bodybuilding and it stars Cena and Batista.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

That wasn't 50 years ago???

"Mikey Whipwreck was born 50 years ago, here is a famous thing he did!"

Wrestling journalism.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Is everyone forgetting CM Punk and the Girl On The Third Floor?

What do these knuckles say?

Yeah wedo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It warms my heart how well Billy Gunn has been doing in AEW. I was never much of a fan of his but this run feels more satisfying than the WWE overpushing him and then making him the butt of several jokes about it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Punk is a massive comic book nerd, there is no way that he isn't aware of most things that massive comic book nerds know. He's also a massive troll, and he is completely in the right to troll people who would get upset when he says he hasn't seen any Rocky movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the 1st rocky movie is actually an incredible film, its very underrated

First Rocky and first Rambo are both legit great movies and only slightly resembling what came after.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

THE AUTISTIC COMMUNITY??!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

Sadly he brain-damaged himself into becoming a Trump supporter and wrestles as MAGA Butcher now.

Well, at least he's not paying any child support!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I know MAGA Butcher is 49, but he looks a solid decade older than that.

As for Pondo, AFAIK this is all he had to say on the matter

https://twitter.com/MadmanPondo/status/823888810513600513?s=20

lmao Butcher is only seven years older than me. Makes me feel even better about myself than all those pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio with all those signs of aging.

I was wondering, what's up with Randy Orton? Is he still in WWE? Last I bothered to check, he was their on-and-off chosen one that got a TON of focus and was involved in lots of stupid poo poo that didn't get him more over but got many people buried. I haven't heard about him recently, though, not that I really checked. Is this just a down-period from the usual thing? Is he hurt, as he often happens to be? Or worse, is he in the midcard? Where is the voices guy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

He's currently out due to a back injury. Before that, he was in an odd couple tag team with Matt Riddle. If the rumors are right, that tag team was supposed to break up a year ago but Orton fought to keep them together because he was so happy to be something besides The Viper (he hears voices in his head, they talk to him, he understands, they talk to him) for once.

Yeah, the tacit formation of the Riddle team was where I stopped following, I think.

DeathChicken posted:

He said the same thing about his team with Bray years ago. "Wow I get to wear a shirt? That's different"

You'd almost feel sorry for Orton if he wasn't constantly overpushed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i watch a lot of ahmed johnson

I like how this is still true if you have only seen one Big T match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Going off memory, Undertaker’s best run was from 96-97, when he was mainly feuding with Hart, Michaels, Mankind, Austin and Vader.

Yeah, people tend to focus on the Streak for his latter days but in between those Wrestlemania matches he was still part of the regular dogshit Smackdown booking for most of the year. If you like Heidenreich matches, I guess UT was the man for you for a while.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bonk posted:

Jake Roberts is credited as saying that the difference between his DDT and everyone else's is "They don't get up from mine."

Universally accepted kayfabe is that the person who does the move regularly somehow knows a more effective way to deliver it, while everyone else's is a pale imitation.

See also, Big Show and Punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there literally anyone in wrestling that has an unkind word to say about Rey Mysterio

Eddie Guerrero about Rey's role as a father, and he was right!