Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

tristeham posted:

the good british anthology show is Inside no. 9

I like that show too, but you gotta admit that 90% of the time the twist is that a woman cheated on her husband. Those guys have some type of hang-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I don't concern myself with lesser Skarsgaards

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Tagra posted:

Yellowjackets started out really strong and it's going to end up terrible, but Ricci and Wood are shining beacons for Season 2 and make it worth watching, even if it's just to see what kind of trainwreck results from it in the end.

In related news, we finished season 1 of The Wilds and I was like "Where the gently caress are they going to go with this??" so we started season 2, and the answer is "They are going to do the exact same story as season 1 but with a different cast." I ended up falling asleep because I didn't give a single poo poo about all these new people, but my husband said it was okay and maybe I should rewatch and catch up. I can see why I got canned after season 2 though. It was already a ridiculous show and disconnecting you from any characters you might have been invested in was a bold (and stupid) choice imo...

season 2 is better than 1 imo. I find the show to be good overall too. My favorite characters in the whole series are the chubby kid who has a crush on the Progressive insurance lady and the little entrepreneur kid. The story plays out much differently for the boys, and at least half the show is still about the girls.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Stairway weapon fight is the best fight in the series. A lot of the set pieces in 1 actually feel sort of unimpressive now because a lot of people just hadn't seen wires used with martial arts before. Now it seems a bit floaty. But that weapons fight in Reloaded is hot.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

i guess that makes sense

unrelated, I thought freddie had a decent new piece about subtley in media these days: https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/please-stop-having-your-characters i think it gets to the greater issue is that the internet has rotted everyone's brain where everything has to be explicitly told lest some 0.01% population of viewers Doesn't Get It.

Honestly this is why I really liked Resident Evil 4 remake. After the trauma of Raccoon City Leon tries to push down his emotions and attachments because he thinks it will make him stronger. Krauser is his old comrade who after getting betrayed by the government decides to become a mutant, literally exchanging his humanity for power. Leon gets in touch with his humanity through Ashley and then kills Krauser. There was no "We're not so different, you and I" line or anything spelling it out, it feels like a fun action thrill ride and you don't even realize how well thought out it is until after you beat the game and think about it.

So yeah, a Resident Evil game is more intellectually stimulating than most indie movies nowadays. Thats the world we live in now.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I heard The Counselor was going through a reappraisal period, have you seen it since it came out?

I've never seen it, but I heard Cormac McCarthy worked on the script for it as well so it's always been on my radar despite its reputation.

It's good, very funny and not too long, so it's very worth watching even if it's not great. You'll be saying "jesus christ" for days afterward.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Remember the Abortion Doctor in Brawl in Cell Block 99. That poo poo was funny. They have to fly him in from China and his skillset was all about torturing and mangling fetuses. How does an abortion doctor even get to learn that stuff?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

e: tbf I haven't seen Dragged Across Concrete yet because it's longer than his other ones

You're in for a treat. It's a very tense heist movie and also there's a scene black kids throw their orange soda at a white girl and Mel Gibson is convinced that this is just the kids' way of working their way up to raping her.

I don't really support Mel Gibson being cast in stuff but it'd be foolish for me to say that there isn't something added by having this well-known angry old racist man play the role.

Fighting Elegy has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the closest thing to a watchable movie Smith ever made was the one where a podcaster gets turned into a walrus and thats only because its completely deranged

glad to hear I'm not the only one who didn't regret watching this.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

man I loved this movie as a kid. does it hold up at all.

I'm gonna guess so because Joe Dante rocks and whenever I rewatch one of his movies I find I like it even more than I did when I was a kid.

I'm a Dante Adult.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fresh whips rear end, best of the '90s hood film cycle maybe? I still haven't seen Belly.

I used to think Baby Boy was a great movie when i saw it as a kid. It kind of reminds me of 50's melodrama and Wes Anderson but is also a hood movie. Doesn't really tie into the drug war but its a hood film that I think has been overlooked. I will have to watch it again to see how I like it now.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

indigi posted:

there is video of Glen Howerton on a panel talking about it, it was posted early on in the strike. he said they had to work to clean it up but it could spit out a fully formulated plot beat for them. search the thread history, I can't do it on awful app

yeah it was when Glen had a talk at google for Blackberry with Matt Johnson and Jay Baruchel.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Night Porter is a movie about a concentration camp inmate falling in love with one of her nazi guards and it's honestly pretty good, classic depraved euro art cinema, Criterion Collection approved baby

movie would definitely be regarded as trash today though just based on the concept. i saw it when i was 19 or so and thought it wasn't very good but looking back i do remember some good things. Iirc the nazi and survivor are just absolutely traumatized, and traumatized hosed up people might get into some problematic relationships that are hard to understand from an outside perspective. Could have maybe learned a bit more from it but i was probably watching it just because the movie sounded edgy and hosed up

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

indigi posted:

Vinnie Jones. what more could you want.

I haven't seen this guy in anything non-Steven Seagall related for so long I just assumed he was cancelled for saying something racist or beating up a woman or something

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I've spent a lot of time watching Nickelodeon shows and the only one actually worth rewatching as an adult is Hey Arnold.

However, the episode of of Rugrats titled "Chuckie's Wonderful Life" where Chuckie wishes he was never born is excellent, really good stuff. The episode where Chuckie thinks he has Rhinoceritis is pretty funny too.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Stu himself mentions the cold fusion and time machine, sold in a toy store of all places. Dudes kind of a dumbass though so could be unreliable narrator

they show the time machine sending a doll into the revolutionary war so time travel does exist and is somewhat accessible in the rugrats universe.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

the world becoming a baby dominated living hell thanks entirely to chuckie not being around to say "maybe this isnt such a good idea" to any stupid thing other babies want to do is hilarious

thank goodness this is just a cartoon with no relation to our everyday lives anyway dont forget to vote blue no matter who this november and whatever you do dont criticize president joe biden in any way because nobody likes a complainer

Chuckie's dad without Chuckie is funny and sad too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_0abIiY-o

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

the milk machine posted:

John lithgow kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db9XI_qgQYU&t=52s
One of my favorite scenes. This movie showed me that good acting can make up for a seriously stupid script.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

the milk machine posted:

that scene rules. lithgow managed to make almost an entire season of Dexter good all on his own, that's acting power

In a movie where there is a prison gladiator fight with Jesse Ventura, the fact that this scene is the real highlight of the movie is a testament to his acting ability

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

netizen posted:

Watched Beekeeper tonight.

The action scenes with Jonatham Statham were great. The boring CIA/FBI blah blah blah scenes were boring.

Give Jonatham Statham a good action script for Christ's sake.

i found the action to be pretty lacking because Jason Statham is 100% in control of the situation and theres no tension. Also he never used Bees as a weapon, which I do view as a massive short coming. They couldn't get one scene where he says "this might sting a little" and then throws a jar of bees on a guy, maybe after covering him in honey?

I still enjoyed it and recommend it just to see each actor try to get through the bee metaphors. Jason Statham is seamless. when he says he's got to protect the hive you believe it.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes and no? None of the three i mentioned are strictly faithful to the novels, but I feel like they all do a better job of adapting Ripley as a character. He's supposed to be a charming sociopath and instead Matt Damon plays him as an awkward nerd - granted, The Talented Mr. Ripley is the first Ripley novel so he is still sort of finding his way in that one, but he's still supposed to be someone that you'd understand why a rich playboy would enjoy having him around, and I don't think the take on him in that movie sells that aspect at all. He's too mopey.

Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman are both great in it though, so it's not without its charms.

I gotta say i really highly disagree. Matt Damon and Jude Law sing that Americano song together. They get drunk, play music together and really enjoy themselves. After that I totally got that they were friends and maybe even something more

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

watched Guillermo's Cabinet of CUriosities and Love Death & Robots this past week, pretty cool. hit or miss obviously but i've always enjoyed the short-story format. are there other anthology series i can check out? (already watched black mirror). also post your fav Guillermos, mine was the one with peter weller and eric andre

I really like the lotion one. You probably should watch Inside No 9. It's a fun mix of suspenseful, edgy and absurd.

Don't watch American Horror Stories (people here probably don't need that warning) but the episodes "The Naughty List" I really enjoyed. Keep in mind it's stupid. There's also an episode called "Necro" thats so ridiculous and has a story that just keeps going crazier as it goes on. I think I might have actually enjoyed that one just for the sheer craziness but my girlfriend literally hated it (but didn't stop watching).

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

and again with character behaviors not making sense: vaults 32 & 33 only interact on occasion to exchange goods and mating pairs, and it’s something they’ve always done. shouldn’t they notice that none of vaults 32’s representatives are recognizable?

They said they schedule the trade for every 30 years pretty clearly. Maybe you couldn't hear it because you were thinking about plot holes too hard.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Al! posted:

finding myself watching a movie from 1992, leap of faith, that stars steve martin, liam neeson, and meatloaf?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

how is it? I've never heard of it but I looked at the poster and it seems up my alley. I enjoy checking out less-known, even lesser-liked, movies. Especially those with actors you don't expect to see and also I like Debra Winger.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

nope.

anyone seen this? any good?

I only read the first sentence of the description but this seems interesting. Thank you. I'll probably watch it tonight.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qcCaALrx5U

the algorithm took me to this and the guy seems to have an interesting thesis about whether internet fame forces you to think in terms of whether youre actually speaking truth to power or if the approval of power just encourages you to keep making compromises to your ideals for the sake of that approval encouraging you to betray your original community in the process but then he starts talking about bamboozled and i check the time stamp and just go hmmm should i really be watching a seventy minute video about bamboozled instead of just like watching bamboozled

sadly bamboozled isnt on any streaming services so ill probably just go back to space ghost and the guest is...commander andy of the cosmos???

you should watch Bamboozled, it's a seriously great movie (I think it's Spike Lee's best) and Michael Rapaport drops n-bombs.

Only know this youtuber cause he likes the movie Baby Boy and the rapper Canibus. I actually first found that guy because I searched "Baby Boy good" on youtube. He's got good taste (by which I mean he agrees with me).

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Al! posted:

imagining his mostly white male audience nodding along to the swirlies video thoughtfully and thinking to themselves "they do be taking our white women!"

i'm a white guy and the only swirlies video i nod along to are ones made by the excellent early 90's shoegaze band.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

anyways, I also watched Death Becomes Her last night because it started autoplaying after Braindead/DeadAlive. Not bad, some good visual gags with Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn getting increasingly hosed up throughout the movie and a Perfect Ending.

I saw this for the first time a couple of years ago and really loved it. It was one of my favorite movie watching experiences of all time. I love Meryl Streep's reaction when she throws the stick at Goldie Hawn. That's my favorite gag.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
i watched American Beauty last night and that was kind of a hard complicated watch. Which is what i expected, since this movie won best picture but no one wants to talk about it ever again. I definitely enjoyed it because its incredibly well shot and the dialogue is frequently witty but I can't get a read on it.

The movie seems to want you to like and identify with Lester's search for an "authentic life" even though he's terrible and is played by Kevin Spacey (who wasn't ever likable, even when we liked him!).

I guess it was worth watching, but I will never recommend it to anyone.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

i have a soft spot for AB even though it's definitely up it's own rear end but I also think its get a little too overly panned by the... "movie smart" internet critic these days.

I think Lester is supposed to be complicated, and obviously the movie does not expect you to identify pedophilic (sorry, ephebophillic)-tendency guy as The Good Guy. a lot of adults are rather trying to infantlize themselves though, or rather, a second chance at their youth. I don't think he so much was craving to bone down on a 17 year old so much as it being a desire to start young, anew. much of the movie is about desire. from the kids desiring to be respected adults, to the adults desiring a second start from the beginning/youth

the plastic bag poo poo was dumb though

that plastic bag poo poo was dumb and the Ricky is very idealized... but I did think it kind of taps into that energy you have when you're young, not weighed down with responsibilities and consciousness and the chemicals in your brain haven't balanced themselves yet. That kind of feeling can make a plastic bag floating around you feel beautiful, and it shows me what Lester is seeking. He really goes about that the wrong way though. When his life ends he's even more isolated from Jane, who he actually does seem care about. Maybe Jane will remember him well and understand what he was dealing with one day but he came off a self-indulgent creep for the last year of his life when he committed to his "least ammount of responsibility possible, jack off whenever I want" lifestyle. Probably should have just got a divorce and focused on trying to make his life as it currently was more authentic instead of trying to regress into his early 20s.

It's a good complicated movie, part of me wants to find the writer and grab him and ask him to definitively tell me what he thought of these characters while writing them because they are pretty hosed up and it's hard to figure out if he thinks Ricky is a pretentious kid or the Sidartha of the suburbs. I guess that's a sign of good complicated story though so mission accomplished I give it a very solid 8/10.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

'tis controversial to state but I like the third Indiana Jones the most.
Don't even talk to me about controversial Indiana Jones opinions. I'm a Temple of Doom fan.

I swear its good, besides for all the bad stuff.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

To bring this around to pop culture stuff - I saw a broadway show for the first time a few weeks ago and I have been overtaken by the desire to learn more about musicals.
Apart from Sound of Music, Cabaret, and Chicago which we just watched (and the classic Blues Brothers) what's next

Something about The Music Man really calls to me, and The King and I
anybody got any favorites they want to love on

Phantom of The Paradise. I think it might be kind of a cult hit around the forums, but if you already seen it a while ago its fun to check out again.

Carburetors man...that's what life is all about.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

loquacius posted:

A couple days ago I got a night off from parenting and proceeded to get high as balls and watch John Wick 4.

Hot take: I think John Wick might actually be supposed to have some sort of mental handicap? He speaks very little, appears to be just barely keeping up with conversation when he does, and all his quips are him saying something like "NOT REALLY" or "YEAH" or "MAYBE NOT" and there's a dramatic music sting as though he had just dropped the most badass line in history. This interpretation of the character did not cross my mind in any of the previous three but it seemed to actually make the most sense for this one??? Maybe it was just the weed I dunno

It's called "not having a lot of range of an actor" but I very much support getting high and thinking everything in a movie is intentional. You get an interesting read on stuff.

Last time I did that was the game Wanted:Dead. I think that the character is really aloof and just trying to get through her day as quickly as possible, though people tell me its just bad acting.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

loquacius posted:

I mean, if he were giving really bad readings of the same kind of dialogue as everyone else maybe. The writing is different. They all talk like they're in a cheesy movie; John Wick talks like he's barely present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbr2aMYA68

That "Not Really" is actually pretty good haha.

Looking at this scene again it reminds me of Arnold movies, where great actors are all acting "around" Arnold, another actor who had presence but didn't have range. That's only in part though. Arnold at least seemed like he was trying to respond to his surroundings. Keanu's acting in this scene reminds me of old videogame voice acting where they recorded all the lines out of order and with zero context.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

are LL Cool J and Canibus still beefing?

Canibus is a close family friend of mine (he bought me an n64 and Goldeneye when I was a kid). The beef was over quickly but his career never really recovered. I think he continued to make some great stuff though up until the 2010s. He is neuro-atypical and unfortunately started his career in an era where people weren't really aware or ready for that.

I recently watched a pretty solid "eviction-thriller" called "Pacific Heights", which has Mathew Modine and Melanie Giffith as yuppie landlords that have to deal with a squatting tenant played by Michael Keaton. The landlords are the main characters but they still give them plenty of (very funny) moments where they are scummy. If you like Hitchcock or 90's thrillers with improbable plots I recommend it.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I just watched the Alan Dershowitz movie Reversal of Fortune last night and it was good. Dersh's style in the movie reminded me of how a lot of my fellow millennials dressed in the late 2010s. I'm not sure why you guys are always so down on this Dersh guy, he seems cool.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What you people got wrong is that it isn't about avoiding movies made by divorced people, it's about people embodying being divorced. You could never have gotten married or is actually still married and still direct divorced-ly. Exhibit 1: The Wickerman. A movie that ends with Nick Cage punching a series of women before being trapped and eaten by bees. Spoilers for the horrible movie The Wickerman.

I'd say that any Shane Black movie is extremely divorced.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

we can also admit that by their nature, the Indiana Jones movies are racist and sexist
the 1st and 3rd not necessarily in a hateful/spiteful way, just kinda in a "it was the times" sorta sense

but Temple feels bad, substantially more than the others to modern eyes... specifically I think George Lucas even admits he hated women at the time of making it.
there's just not a lot of love in anything in it

But actually I forgot about the "Anything Goes" opening and that rocks too
the movie needed more of that

Is there anything really sexist about Willie besides for how much she screams? I recall really liking the character, she was funny and her viewing Indy as a charmless brute led to fun moments. To the best of my memory she's my favorite character in the series.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I don't know whats up with remakes. I watched Presumed Innocent last night and its a stinker and then right after finishing I saw there was a prestige TV adaptation with Jake Gyllenhall.

I just can't imagine what its like to be an executive, watch some 90s movie that is mediocre or worse and being like "I got an idea".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

watched Ghostbusters Frozen Empire last night for the first time. I gotta say I was never a huge Paul Rudd fan and he's actively starting to annoy me. Dude played himself in this movie and was barely even there. Low effort garbage on his part. The rest was decent overall, probably the best one they've done since the original

I thought he was pretty good in Shrink Next Door. He's actually acting in that one and its not very funny.