Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Oglethorpe posted:

I'm watching Anaconda and drat it's got a loving cast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQmAdY-jIpI&t=262s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

FFT posted:

Indy 5 references the Lance of Longinus which at least has been a subject of the Hitler mysticism for a long time

"Longinus" lol

Steigen Sie in den gepanzerten Riesenroboter, Shinji.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Zeroisanumber posted:

poo poo I forgot William Hurt died. :(

I watched Dark City for the first time last night and had that realisation again.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

porfiria posted:

Watership Down always sounds like a sci fi movie to me, lol.

Watch Plague Dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5mcc47xD8

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you thought the ending to Watership Down was too happy you'll enjoy this one

I believe they changed it from the book it's based on. As someone who works in Big Pharma, this is a pretty hard watch still.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

MacheteZombie posted:

Somehow the Terminator show was actually decent tv

We can’t have that.

*goes back in time to cancel it*

Now, who wants rehashing the first two films in ever more terrible ways? Lena Headey has been reassigned to Peach Trees.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

YaketySass posted:

It's good to see we're maturing past superhero movies

"I want to mature past superheroes."

*monkey paw closes*

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Did nothing wrong. Also, murdered.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

ok this explains why I think about this television commercial literally six times a day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_eAX-jQX6o

Inverted Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

God, I miss the nineties.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

kids aren't into what you think of as those things, especially Star Wars. zoomers love the Clone Wars cartoons and the older ones love the prequels. they like the Bay transformers and the TMNT series you've probably never seen, not the one where they wear Uncle Fester masks to go out in public

I really enjoy how many people in this thread fully disbelieve the idea that popular media shapes childrens' and (to a lesser but still significant extent) the public's minds. it's a strange sort of magical thinking

I don't believe any of it, and only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NoOmD1Hy28

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Communist Thoughts posted:

I like Tenet for it's music and protagonist.

The idea of future humanity sending people back in time to kill us before we destroy the climate is a really cool hook but it's handled very stupidly and most of the action sucks apart from a 5 second fistfight in a kitchen

I also like the concept that the only way to time travel is to literally reverse backwards through time

Tenet is a great vibes film and I don’t think enough are made. Yes, I own a copy of The Nolan Variations, what of it, sir?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Dead Reckoning Part One is so good. I like how it, too, has a car chase in Rome, yet it is actually engaging and done for real, while the Fast Ten (Your Seatbelt) one felt really fake.

As a Person Of Interest fan, I appreciate it too.

Apparently the train scenes for both M:I and Indy Five were done within the same month in Yorkshire.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

i say swears online posted:

that video doesn't look like yorkshire

https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-locations/

Levisham, N. Yorkshire was used for the climax. The jump was Norway, though.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

As I understand it, the Dead Reckoning storyline are the final two M:I films.

But also, Samaritan The Entity will get us through The Great Filter. This world will become one. I have found the way. Race, tribal affiliations, national borders... even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that the Boss Ethan envisioned will finally become a reality, and it will make mankind whole again.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jul 16, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mcmagic posted:

There is zero chance they would leave themselves no way to continue the series. Also Tom Cruse most definitely thinks he can keep making these types of movies for minimum 10 more years.

I genuinely hope Cruise doesn’t do what Disney is doing. If he can make them work, maybe. But Dead Reckoning kinda feels like a good place to start tying things up. He has good business nous, given how he got Paramount to not release Maverick during the pandemic main phase (unlike what happened to Tenet) and we all saw how Disney has screwed their golden geese lately.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

Wtf is Ethan Hunt doing at the International Monetary Fund anyway?

The Dread Pirate Roberts asks that too.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mcmagic posted:

It's not like they are going to put out 4 MI movies and 5 TV shows a year of which 3 movies and 4 TV shows are dogshit. They can put a MI movie out every 3-4 years of MI:DR quality pretty much indefinitely and it seems like a fine thing to do unless this ends up being considered a big flop?

Film is doing gang busters right now. Highest opening for an M:I film, IIRC. The people will come if it isn’t dreck. This year is kind of interesting in seeing what people consider worth their time given how Marvel and WB have dropped the ball.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mcmagic posted:

I really don't think they are going to be able to use scans they already have forever with how big an issue it seems to be in the negotiations.

“Joan Is Awful” was the template they chose to base all their future revenue off. These are the guys who didn’t pick up on the SS uniforms in Starship Troopers after all.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Palladium posted:

maybe im weird but i can totally understand why he would take such huge risks to leave artistic legacy when he doesn't have much useful life left

He has the means and the desire to do what the hell he wants and to hell with the consequences. He wanted to fly the F-18s in Maverick, but the Navy had a policy that no civvie can, even if I totally believe he could. They also probably don’t want to have or rebuild the airframe from the insane manoeuvres he would do in it.

When you’re the last true movie star, that has a lot of appeal over whatever the gently caress Hollywood is doing now. I never cared about the Scientology poo poo, because I was too focused on the first half of WotW at that time, which rocks. Love that intersection scene.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The Barbenheimer combo sat above 90% in both cases.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Nearly as dumb as all the farmers selling off agricultural land to housing developers and solar panels or wind farms. Except we can live without massive studios and IP rights. Food, not so much.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

person of great interest to me

He must be stopped from saving the little children.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

I started watching like a month before Snowden's big dump and it made it seem like we were living in the personverse as the story unfolded

It was pretty creepy. Jon Nolan mentions it in an interview for the final season, I think, where they had all these things playing out not long after they'd written them. It's even funnier that they fooled the studio to make a crime-of-the-week show and snuck in the best take on an AI actually becoming superintelligent.

Too bad he did a lesser version of this in Westworld season three.

tristeham posted:

i liked the idea but the format gets quickly tedious

I think in the age of prestige TV a lot of the crime procedural stuff got looked down on. I know I slept on the show because I'd seen the odd episode late on a channel that normally had the likes of NCIS and CSI, which I'd long since stopped watching. It was only when an Ars Technica review went on about the final season and the stuff leading up to it, that I gave it a shot and realised it was just great television.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a little funny, because since television is lowbrow entertainment we remember movies as fine art, you know, cinema. When movies were lowbrow entertainment, people talked about theatre and works of literature. But then you go back, and most plays were absolute lowbrow trash, as were most novels. Which isn't to say any of these art forms can't produce great works, only that most people do not have good taste and aren't looking to develop it when they get off work. They want farts.

"The Farce of the Fart" and Other Ribaldries: Twelve Medieval French Plays in Modern English

Theater historian Jody Enders brings a dozen of the funniest French farces to contemporary English speaking audiences for the first time. This performance-friendly collection includes background information about the plays for medievalists, theater practitioners, and classic comedy lovers alike.

"Scurrilous, sexy, stupid, satirical, scatological, side-splitting, and probably something else beginning with 's,' Jody Enders's translation of twelve French farces is a real discovery that goes a long way to readjusting our perception of the Middle Ages. Enders is a great champion of comedy at its most vulgar and hilarious. She points out that however silly or banal these farces may appear to us, they nonetheless confront the real controversies of their day over the law, politics, religion, social order, or the battle of the sexes. Thoroughly grounded in her academic approach to the subject, Enders nevertheless writes with liveliness and humor and wit. She is unafraid to reference modern comedy in her translations and insists on the primacy of performance in assessing these comedies from half a millennium ago."—Terry Jones

Oh god, he's doing the thing, but not in the Ukraine war thread!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Just got out of Oppenheimer too. Very much anti-bomb and pro-lefty. Amazing in 70 mm and love Goransson’s score.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Segue posted:

Yeah, American Prometheus, besides having an absolutely perfect title, really dives into the motivations and mood of the era and is absolutely devastating in its depiction of Oppenheimer's persecution during the McCarthy era which I've read is the movie's second half. Required reading.

The last hour is a solid look at McCarthyism and how mental it was in trying to destroy Oppenheimer for having objections once the military took control of Little Boy and Fat Man.

Loads of people in pink around London today. Guessing Barbenheimer is going as planned.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

More representation for female doomsday device makers, please and thank you.

This is like that shitlib “we need more female CEOs at Lockheed” or “more black private prison owners”.

Oppenheimer is not that film if you want to revel in the awesome power physics has wrought us during a global war.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder how many teenagers are going to get like halfway through Oppenheimer and realize that they liked the idea of watching it more than they actually like watching it.

The girl and her boyfriend next to me in the BFI IMAX spent the trailers taking selfies and carefully set photos of tickets in their massive box of popcorn. Then the girl proceeded every give minutes to check her phone and scroll through things and take the odd snap of the cinema screen.

Then I read these brain dead takes on Twitter and realise everyone is loving demented.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fitzy Fitz posted:

yeah, same. I want to read American Prometheus now though

I had someone call themselves a Nolan aficionado and that Interstellar was trash compared to Insomnia. I want to like the latter more, I just find it a slog and only really care for the actors and the score. I'd say the weakest post-2010 film is TDKR because of other things forcing rewrites.

Honestly, I don't know if "enjoy" is what you do with a film like Oppenheimer. The girl at the cinema giving us the tickets even said "Enjoy the film, or rather, appreciate it" and that stuck with me

Does anyone "enjoy" Schindler's List for example?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

What I mean is, it's not a spectacle or a popcorn film. It's not something you go with mates to see at a movie night and be all "My favourite scene is coming up, Fiennes about to take pot shots at the Juden" or anything. It's art that has a massive slice of history that shows a pretty nasty side of humanity.

I enjoy escapism, but I appreciate and think on films that are about deeper topics like inner demons or historical events etc.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

insane clown pussy posted:

lol going to the theater sounds like hell now. sure am glad movies are all pretty lovely these days

To be fair, the display on her mobile was dim and had one of those privacy filters on. That said, she clearly was there because BF dragged her and was only really focused on the screen when the bomb was getting ready. And when Emily Blunt was being badass.

Otherwise, I hear the US cinema situation is much less tolerable, yes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

StashAugustine posted:

Plus Interstellar is a very enjoyable movie its just also dumb as gently caress

I remember it coming out and afterwards having a discussion with a friend who hated it because it perpetuated the concept of loving up a planet and then just moving on elsewhere, like one would after pillaging a nice village. I get what he meant, and I agree that it isn't a great way to frame the climate collapse thing as a science and human spirit will persevere (and I don't even know how the Lazarus Project was going to really save us anyway).

That said, Interstellar is one of my all time favourite sci-fi flicks for the score, visuals, overall vibe of the film.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The gently caress is a tortoise?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tighclops posted:

What was Matthew McConaughey's character going to do at the end of interstellar, he just fucks off into space in a one-man pod ship to go looking for catwoman

How is he going to get there, how does he know where she is, did I miss something because it just seems like he kills himself to me at the end

Given they basically unified physics by getting the data they needed from inside Gargantua, I expect they have mastered wormholes given the new version of the Ranger he steals is smaller and nowhere near able to do anything but a short hop in space.

Don't think too much about that part. Else you'll be wondering about how Caine's lot at NASA got the O'Neill station up in space.

I kinda like the argument with the Principal at the start. It shows you how hosed the planet is where they're literally getting everyone to do as much farming as they can as society collapses around them. They stop getting okra because of the blight, even. They have no love for those who talk of a time when things like MRIs exist, and can't imagine anything better. It's actually a horribly depressing slow collapse that will only accelerate as the blight kills off anything making oxygen later on ("The last people to starve, will be the first to suffocate.") meaning everything is on borrowed time.

Obviously we need film to happen and it's Hollywood, so Cooper gets out there to use a science to win. That's my only real disappointment, which as my friend mentioned, exonerates the human ingenuity and technology angle.

In other news, just got done with the rest of Black Mirror season six and "Mazey Day" and "Demon 79" show the Red Mirror thing to be more likely now. The latter was great.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tighclops posted:

That makes sense I guess, but they didn't show him entering another wormhole or anything like that so it just seems like he condemns himself to a pointlessly slow death lmao

Who says Western audiences can't deal with ambiguous endings without closure? Not Nolan!

Cooper made the ultimate sacrifice for Catwoman.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

netizen posted:

Best part of interstellar was when they leave that guy on the ship by himself for like twenty years and then Matt Damon blows him up. That guy really got the poo poo end of the stick.

Man I might rewatch interstellar tonight.

His name was Mann as well. We suck.

He was meant to be the best of us, and he's a loving coward, to quote Cooper.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

have the planet surrounded by thick radar-impenetrable clouds. cake had + eaten

e: they don't even have to be radar-impenetrable, radar wouldn't help in that situation (the pings would still be subject to time dilation so at best it'd be months-years of waiting for a map to resolve) it just needs to be cloudy

The only thing wrong with that whole chapter is Wes Bentley not being able to hop into an open hatch to save his life. That, and the loving trailers ruining that whole tidal wave. Zimmer's score is great for this too, since every tick in the metronome like track is a whole day going by back on Earth.

I had Kipp Thorne's book that tied in with the film and the time dilation of that water world really got to me. The fact that the previous mission basically landed just before them boggles my tiny ape brain.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

there's an anecdote in that book where he's hanging out with a Soviet physicist and they're talking about some characteristic of x-rays and Kip is like "drat someone should do some experiments to figure this out" and the Soviet guy says something like "don't worry, our governments have it figured out" and Kip realizes it's a key component of controlling fission

Gonna rewatch Oppenheimer and figure it out for Kip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

this whole conversation is just making me realize how silly it is that the movie dismisses the importance of studying farming as a dead end since it seems like the odds of someone pulling off an amazing miracle cure out of their rear end are about as likely as they actually end up doing with the spaceships given that their original plan was stupid and doomed and is only redeemed by ridiculous wormhole bullshit no one could have reasonably foreseen

Agreed... BUT... also there's an out. The whole film, like Tenet, is essentially a closed time-like curve. The events that lead to the mission happening are a paradox, so it was always ordained that things would play out this way, because we already basically did what we needed to do.

Though, yes, the "I'm gonna adventure man and science this poo poo" take is not the smart way to deal with biosphere collapse that is already way too far gone. I guess it's the equivalent of ignoring palliative care and expecting an rear end pull miracle cure when you have stage four pancreatic cancer. It becomes a totally different film experience then.