Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Does it make me a bad person that I wish Devin Nunes to be hosed to death by a syphilitic donkey? Fire this motherfucker into the sun already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

DandyLion posted:

He's struggling to get his speech out. He's already slipped up in his quotes and his voice is wavering. He looks pretty uncomfortable.

LOOOONG pause just now as he re-checked his notes. He looked like he was having trouble emptying his bowels right then.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CHEF!!! posted:

I hope Nunes gets inoperable cancer and dies a slow lingering death while the few people who care for him watch helplessly as he withers away. gently caress him and gently caress everyone who sides with him.

Wow. This is said way better than my thing. I agree actually: why bring a poor donkey into this? Let the cancer cells do their work.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
So The Mattering may actually be upon us. My question: what fucks this up? Because this rear end in a top hat should have been impeached a dozen scandals ago at least. What will make this one stick?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mistaya posted:

I honestly think it's sticking because literally everyone knows what a mob shakedown sounds like. It's not some difficult to understand need to read multiple pages report about obstruction of justice something something maybe Russia did help Trump but it's not like you can prove that Trump colluded...

Here we have:
1. Trump himself
2. Talking to another world leader directly
3. Telling him to investigate a political rival
4. Or else

It's cut and loving dry and the fact that the foreign aid was withheld and then extra was added is just... okay there's the material payment proving this wasn't just a "Haha funny joke Mr President!"

My fear though is and has always been the political calculus. Trump was right, he could shoot someone and his base will stick by him. This is what they voted for, they want a mob boss. Does that handcuff any potential congressional remedy? Maybe. The Senate remains a problem.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Wark Say posted:

Didn't he straight up threw Pence under the bus today? Or yesterday? I can't really keep up, tbh.

He did. It's all he knows how to do. He'll throw Pence under a bus in nanoseconds.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Rosalind posted:

Did they learn nothing from the Tonys? DeNiro is gonna say gently caress you to Trump in every public forum he gets lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNr8Pf1QkY

Definitely here for "so old he gives no fucks anymore" DeNiro.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

being brazen and shameless has worked well in the past for trump, it's not like it's a well-thought-out plan it's just him reverting to a strategy that he's comfortable with and the rest of the party playing along

Listening to Rush a bit today showed their strategy: just doubling down and insisting that nothing happened, it's a hoax and etc. Which does still make me afraid of political blowback. Because a not insignificant chunk of the base does think what Rush and Hannity tell them to.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Nocturtle posted:

Graham can't be following the news, it doesn't make sense to complain about the whistleblower's methods when Trump is loudly asking other nations on television to investigate his political rivals, one of the main complaints made by the whistleblower.

But see, like Rush said, they literally just declare any and all "news" about this FAKE and their base believes that. It's not that they didn't see it, they just cover their eyes and ears and go LALAALALALLA intil it goes away.

EDIT

Or as Rush put it, "the news media IS the Democrats."

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 3, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Hannity has mentioned "the insurance policy" daily for two years plus now, it's definitely not new.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm not saying they don't exist either, I'm just saying one of those people just needs one event to shock them out, compared to the ones that stick with Trump needing to constantly pass by everything. A lot still manage, but I feel like once you start disliking Trump with even the slightest bit of thought and attention behind it, it's hard to get back into it's bubble. In other words, I don't think Trump is getting anymore hard core supporters as time goes on, just hemorrhaging the ones who accidentally make their way out. And there's no going back.

I guess that's the one upside of all this, one of the very few. Once that spell is broken it does seem to stay broken. It's just the effort of getting folks there that's the bitch.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

How this guy hasn't like gone out behind a toolshed and hung himself by now is beyond me, having been to so many Trump events.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

skylined! posted:

I believe him. I've known three people that had stents put in and all of them felt great afterward. Turns out when your major necessary organs can more easily get blood to them you end up feeling a hell of a lot better!

Trump has always embraced anyone who will pledge fealty to him. The caveat is that you are always in service to trump, and when you are not you are viciously cast off.

If anything he's even healthier now.

Nazzadan posted:

Or lived in California ever.

#Truth

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ManBoyChef posted:

I have another comment about people like this. During the fight for $15 to raise the minimum wage these people were the ones arguing against raising the minimum wage because they make $15 an hour and they think they have worked for it more and others don't deserve it. Its just closeminded.

You forgot selfish and hella racist too.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Thank you, I'm ok, just got hit with a lot in a very short amount of time and I kinda hid in a hole I'm slowly starting to come out of. 😩😩

You're made of strong stuff, KM, but even strong people need some time to recover sometimes. I'm really glad to see you came out of the hole to talk to us. I'm sorry you've been beat up with life's occasional bullshit lately. Nothing but love for ya.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah Trump has never caused this much of a disastrous clusterfuck before. This is a new level and it’s seriously not good for him.

It could only have ended this way.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

theflyingorc posted:

Nothing that 538 sources, as far as I can tell

Rasmussen shows almost no movement

Folks: why are you acting like he bases poo poo on ANY actual real thing? It's the spirochetes talking now. The brain worms are all that's left.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah the military might be in a revolt against the President right now

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1181323484015861762

Any two bit tin pot dictator knows: you never do something so drastic you lose the military. It just never seems to end well.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not super familiar with the status of the Syrian Kurds, maybe this would be a better question for the ME thread but:

Does Turkey just want to crush the Kurdish militias? They don't want the land, do they? They want to kill off the militias to prevent Turkish Kurds from getting any ideas about independence.

Asking about "Turkish Kurds" or Syrian or whatever is the wrong approach. Broad view: the Kurds are hated by all the countries their territory resides within and that was by design. It goes all the way back to the Ottoman Empire's collapse post-WW1. In short, the Kurdish areas are where a lot of the resources are, and pretty much no one wanted them to be in charge of all of it, so this is part of why their territory is divided between multiple countries. It's your basic racist tactic of leaving them small marginalized pieces of land instead of allowing them to become one self-determined country. This is how I understand it anyway but someone please correct me if I'm off base there.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Prester Jane posted:

The way she's grinning in that photo makes it looks like she'really excited to devpur a child's soul right in front of us all.

Who says she's not?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

LegendaryFrog posted:

Well, now we know Trump is sunk. Gowdy destroys all that he touches.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1182204153470291968

What flipped him? I thought initial reports said he turned the job down. Now he's onboard?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When you're bought out by an equity firm, you can expect to have your assets strip mined and then get tossed into the slag heap.

Right. For a nice dramatized, not so fictional example of this, Succession's "Vaulter" episode is a pretty good one.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Truly if there's any karmic justice, Trump will have a heart attack next only his will be fatal.

But there's not so he'll probably die at 115.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 12, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Lol imagine being alive and online in TYOOL 2019 and thinking bad cops stop being cops and not that they bounced to a different station and keep getting to kill people.

I thought after the Tamir Rice case that particular notion was torched for most folks but apparently not.

People just want to believe SO HARD that the whole system isn't rotten from top to bottom so they can give themselves permission to stop giving a poo poo. They fight it pretty hard. But the truth has a pesky way of still being true and well, it makes them a little conflicted and intentionally naive. That's how I read it anyway.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ershalim posted:

"Psychiatric help" isn't the purpose of calling the police on someone, sadly. The point is to remove them from wherever they currently are.

I'm not disagreeing with the general point or substance of your post but I have to ask you to pump the brakes here. Don't paint with such a broad brush. I have direct personal knowledge of situations where cops were called, and because a person was indeed a threat to themselves and did indeed need psychiatric help. It wasn't a ploy. But I hear you, it's a process that's (by design) too often misused and abused and there are myriad reasons for this. But not every last one of these calls is bullshit. Be careful.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ershalim posted:

I didn't mean that people don't ever need help and shouldn't ever get it forced on them in situations where it might prevent them from taking their own lives, for example... but I'm talking about a system where I've personally been called to the parking lot of a hospital to get rid of someone "in need of a mental health arrest."

Right, that's clearly a bullshit abuse of the system. I just tend to avoid sweeping statement generally so nothing personal. I agree with you, top to bottom how we treat mental health is hosed and when you add our broken police departments it becomes hosed squared.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Rabble posted:

Zuckerberg acting like the Fash won’t put his rear end against the wall with the rest of the Jews when he’s no longer useful.

As a Jewish person myself I literally can’t understand how any Jew would vote in step with the NAZIs, much less work directly with them.

I mean it happened in Germany and Poland too. Anytime you give someone the choice that they can either surely be hosed over or supposedly saved, well, self interest usually kicks in. Even if they know it's going to be a lie in the end.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Fort Worth having a presser right now and I'm surprised at how far they're throwing the officer under the bus who shot the lady in her home. Even the police chief named him and said he faced criminal charges.

You know what? Good. And I hope if what I think you're suggesting is correct, that perhaps all the visibility on these incidents and the extreme pressure being brought to their doorsteps every time some poo poo like this happens is moving the needle in how departments respond to incidents like these, that it continues and becomes even bigger as a social trend. Call these motherfuckers out loudly, often, and if possible in person by engaging in mass demonstrations. I can't think of anything else that will change a thing. This "code of silence" and blue wall bullshit has to stop.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah what kind of rear end in a top hat says any personal details about themselves when getting to know somebody

I think it's more a concern with folks whose first thing they throw out about themselves is the atheist thing, it usually means they're a "certain type" of self righteous person that can be insufferable. I'm not a believer but by a long shot it's not the very first, primary, core thing about my own identity that I share with the world.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

love the aspiration that we'll need that third digit.

Yeah maybe change "DAYS" to "HOURS" and we might need that third digit then.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1183859704939847680

why is it always this late in the day that this random poo poo happens

Same guy's tweet from earlier in the day so it makes you wonder just wtf is going on at the White Asylum today:

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1183755984818364416

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

25th! 25th! 25th!

Don't you get my hopes up, motherfucker!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Oh go gently caress yourselves

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1183864377902010369

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

right, keeping them off camera and not releasing transcripts until later is an obviously smart strategy here

i think just last night we saw some evidence that it's working in the big piece about Sondland in the Post. his planned testimony has already changed a little from what he previously told them, because he's realizing that some of the things he planned to say to cover his rear end last week are maybe no longer good now that his testimony will come after multiple people who told the truth about him. but he can't really craft his lies specifically to avoid those pitfalls like he might be able to if they were public

Anything that deprives the obsequious, bloviating, Trump boot licking Republicans that waste their 5 minutes talking about what a travesty this hearing is and how dare you accuse our great president of blah blah blah of their TV platform to show off for Daddy is fine by me. That plus the stuff you said but really, that most of all.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Angry_Ed posted:

Hilariously(?) enough she was filling in for Meghan McCain

Meghan McCain, noted coward

Like, how do you go on The View which is basically daytime fluff piece TV and get completely owned by everybody there including a Republican strategist whose only real saving grace is that she hates Trump so much she voted against him in 2016?

Source

This is basically his brand now, being literally The Wrongest Man In Any Room Ever. He's so frustrating his neighbor beat him up even knowing he'd get jail time afterward. It had to be done though, so he took the hit. Kind of a hero, actually.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

showbiz_liz posted:

They didn't even do that, they just let us take the regular meals and expected the balance to be paid later. And this was in North Carolina, which even then was not exactly the nation's most liberal state.

Which begs another question: these are public schools so, why do the lunches cost anything? Why aren't they just you know....provided along with the cost of the public school? This stupid poo poo in America where everything has to involve money changing hands is really stupid and we need to examine it more. Why was I at 8 years old expected to pay for my lunch at a place I was compelled by law to be anyway? Right? Let's look deeper here.

Ershalim posted:

Yeah. They should have done this. but it's really not surprising they didn't. Schools aren't really a liberal bastion of enlightenment and good ideals despite generally being a force for good. A lot of public schools are, either by district mandate or necessity, incredibly money-grubbing institutions which will do all kinds of shady poo poo to make a few extra dollars here or there. It might all boil down to property tax effectively limiting what schools are capable of affording, but it plays out in a lot of gross ways: like refusal to close for unsafe conditions, being highly litigious about any debts, failure to invest in necessary infrastructure upkeep, etc., etc..

Yeah see that's dumb as hell, and we should try to do better. But of course we're undermined by charter school assholes who don't want their tax dollars supporting public anything and etc etc.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Taerkar posted:

The answer as always is because of tax cuts to help rich people. Especially when the local school starts bringing in non local kids to fill classes and the residents complain of their tax dollars being wasted.

Which I mean really is the root problem for a lot of society's ills, right? Lots of people are just selfish, myopic children and capitalism rewards such behavior so here we are. I'm just saying that from the federal level on down, if we funded schools like we ought to be, this ceases to be a problem. That we have kids being shaken down for money on penalty of being shamed and starved is embarrassing. We should do better.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Pellisworth posted:

This isn't exactly politics, but an interesting agricultural tidbit: pregnancy rates for beef cattle are precipitously low this year. This is probably because of the long winter and flooding putting stress on the animals, they then fail to conceive.

My dad is a cattle rancher, his pregnancy rate is usually around 85-90% but the heifers we just checked were down around 50% which is abysmal. The vet said it's widespread, low pregnancy rates all over the Great Plains.

What this means is beef prices are probably going to skyrocket next year.

edit: more like late next year and early 2021. These are next year's calves would mostly come on the market spring 2021.

So now might be a good time to buy stock in those Impossible and Beyond beef companies?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Toobly posted:

This happened in my hometown in NH. My high school had to close down sections while I was there because it wasn't up to fire code and they had buy portable classrooms to put on the baseball field because the town was full of people who no longer have anything to do with the school or parents who would rather pay to send there kid to private school than pay a little extra in taxes for improvements. The town eventually voted to fix a lot of the issues but it took almost 2 decades and took newer/younger families moving there to do something about it.

So things got better once the olds hosed off and/or died? Sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

skylined! posted:

If you heard a loud thump outside your window that was the bus speeding over mulvaney's corpse.

Who is going to do all of his jobs?

Oh yeah, Mick's done. That was sort of assumed when he said what he said but this Hannity poo poo is like Michael giving Fredo the big kiss in Havana. Nice knowing ya, Mick. Get hosed.