Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just set up my Valve Index today and I'm having issues with SteamVR. About 50% of the time when I launch it, it crashes my entire system. My main display freezes, and I cannot open task manager or anything. A hard reset appears to be my only option. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

This is using the latest Nvidia drivers on a 1060 6B, here are my full specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Could it have anything to do with the number of displays I'm using? I am connected to three monitors ATM (My TV and Main monitor are mirrored, and then I have a second screen).

Brownie fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the Power supply in your case like?

A Corsair 550W I believe. What’s interesting is that it happens exactly 50% of the time - every second launch of SteamVR crashes! So after a restart, I can start it with no problems, and if I restart myself before starting it a second time everything works, but launching it twice without restarting is a big no-no.

I contacted Steam support, which asked me to attach the SteamVR System Report but then rejected the ticket telling me I could only attach text files... which it was. So I couldn’t attach it, thanks Valve!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you have any big stupidly-super-HD games on your system you can try running? Eg; DOOM on max settings?

Yeah, I was playing COD warzone yesterday with no problems. When Doom 2016 first came out I played it at nearly-max at 1080p on this same machine, although I know PSU's will gradually degrade over time.

To be clear, I was able to play SteamVR for ~2 hours with no problems, just when I try starting it a second time without restarting it crashes. I am pretty suspicious that it's an issue at the driver/kernel level where something is not getting cleaned up/released properly.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I’m really nervous that my 1060 won’t be able to run it at acceptable FPS. So far all of Valve’s demos and the Rooms they released run fine at 90 FPS on my Index with default settings, but Superhot runs at ~50fps! If I have to update my GPU I’ll also have to upgrade my PSU...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Penpal posted:

I don't have an Index, but a Vive, and a 1070. The only way i'd consider getting an Index would be if I had a 2070 Super/2080 Super.

It's like buying a 4k tv to watch vcd's that you put into your modchipped playstation

okay not that bad but a 1060 will be fine but I feel like you're not really taking advantage of the two features the index has, high res and high refresh rate

edit: your games will run. but at a much, much lower than native res and definitely not at high refresh rates

Yeah I know, but I managed to snag the index in the latest sale and haven’t been able to decide whether I should wait for the next wave of GPUs in August or if I should get a 2070 super/5700XT

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
How are people finding Half Life Alyx in terms of performance? I just recently upgraded from a 1060 to a 2070 Super and am a bit dissapointed by how little of an improvement I saw. I'm still not able to get a consistent frame rate, and sometime frame times seems to oscillate wildly between 7ms and 13ms. However my CPU and GPU load never reaches 100%, my VRAM and RAM always have gigs to spare, etc. The game also defaults to low settings, which surprises me.

I'm not super familiar with SteamVR or the valve index, so are there some obvious settings I'm missing that would help me get expected performance? I'm worried its my 4 year old CPU but honestly load never goes higher than 70% except at loading screens.

My specs:
Nvidia 2070 Super 8GB
Intel i5 6600K
16GB of DDR3 @ 2133HZ

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cojawfee posted:

A 6600k probably won't cut it. I switched from a 6600k to a Ryzen 3600. Also, how old is your board that you have DDR3? The board I used with my 6600k had DDR4. I don't know what my exact performance is, but i have a Ryzen 3600, 32GB DDR4, and a GTX 1070 and my framerates are just fine. I think I'm running on high settings. Every once in a while it gets framey, but I take off my headset and kill some firefox processes that decided to eat up a gig of RAM for some reason and then Alyx is back to being nice and smooth.

Mistype, it is in fact DDR4.

I’d be more ready to believe it was the CPU if any core was reaching 100% but they aren’t, and CPU frame times are pretty low (within 8ms), especially so in the areas where performance drops.

I’m interested to know how many draw calls are actually being submitted given the relatively small amount of objects in any given scene.

Either way, guess it’s time to start saving up for a new CPU.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I'm really struggling to decide what to play next on my index now that I've beaten Half Life Alyx and Superhot VR. I really loved Alyx, but don't want to go back to it right away. I'll probably wait until I can upgrade my CPU because I still had lots of performance issues with a RTX 2070S.

Considering the gun play and exploration were my favourite parts of Alyx, I guess Saints & Sinners is probably my best bet? The posts above seem to indicate that it's pretty great, the only reason I'm apprehensive at all is because I find Walking Dead's aesthetic pretty tiresome at this point.

I'm also interested in Boneworks, but considering that I couldn't play Alyx with smooth locomotion without getting nauseous, I think I'll probably wait a little while longer on that one.

Is H3VR good now? It's really hard to get a read on whether it's actually a game yet or just a shooting range/make your own fun kind of thing.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I'm interested in buying prescription lens inserts for my index since my glasses press into my face uncomfortably when playing, which makes it hard to fit the headset properly resulting in lots of swim, especially when leaning or looking down.

Unfortunately, VR Optician can not longer ship to Canada due to the COVID situation. Has anyone had any experience with WidmoVR or VR Lens Lab? Any complaints?

Brownie fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 20, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I don’t know how many of you play H3VR, but does anyone else have difficulty making out the front sights due to blurring? I’m not sure if it’s a problem with my fit but I noticed that in darker rooms I just cannot make out the front sights on rifles and other two handed weapons.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Tried playing Boneworks again last night after having recently gotten used to the arm swinger movement options in H3VR. Bad idea.

The IK body in Boneworks is just incredibly frustrating. Leaning over to open drawers or break boxes by bending at the waist IRL would inevitably result in my IK legs getting trapped inside the drawers and causing the physics engine to start freaking out trying to resolve the collisions. Climbing is similarly annoying, I consistently get stuck on objects because my motions don't match up 1 to 1. And I got pretty severe nausea from the way that pushing against the environment causes your body and view to move in ways that doesn't even make sense! Smashing a counter with a brick would not cause my entire body to lift up! Same thing with opening doors using their handles...

Don't think I'll ever make any real progress with it, feels like a waste of $30.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have you gotten to the guns? Because the guns make up for the terrible IK stuff

I have not, really haven’t made any progress in the game at all because of the nausea.

In general gunplay in VR is incredible, and I was excited to experience it in boneworks but every part of the movement drains me. I cannot imagine having to deal with my IK body in an extended firefight

Brownie fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like it! Ultrawings has shown that the virtual stick can not only be done right, it can be done well, so I think it can be done well here too

No mans sky has shown that the virtual stick can also be done........not great, but hopefully the dev knows the difference. The NMS stick isn’t terrible, but after Ultrawings it’s lacking.

Hmm I haven’t had a great experience with ultra wings’ virtual stick with my Valve Index. For some reason after like 20 seconds of my hand not moving very much (like when holding the stick in UW), the controller will start vibrating violently likes it’s losing tracking. I have to start waving my hand around to make it go away, and sometimes it just doesn’t. This hasn’t happened in any other game, and I’ve tried moving to different spots in my space to make sure there’s zero occlusion between myself and the lighthouses. It’s very strange and basically makes UW unplayable.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

SirViver posted:

Does the game by any chance apply haptic feedback when it's happening?

Yes! Although its hard to tell if the haptic feedback is being applied because the tracking starts screwing up and pushing the stick to extremes or if the tracking is screwing up because of the haptics (or maybe it's just a positive feedback loop). That is frustrating, but at least gives me something to look into. Seems like a pretty huge design flaw.

Tom Guycot posted:

Heck of a job, Brownie

???

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Luneshot posted:

Oh, thank God. Sniping is literally impossible in that game if you have shaky hands, the controllers are insanely sensitive to small movement.

Yeah it's tough when the controllers you're holding have so little mass compared to what's being modeled.

Speaking of H3VR, are any of the maps other than Take and Hold worth playing? I've tried a few of the shooting ranges and they were fun for a few minutes, but seem to be more about just trying out different guns? I also tried the frankenweenie game and I couldn't get into how melee focused it seemed. I don't like melee in VR games at all, and my space doesn't allow for lunging anyway.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
With shotguns and (some) revolvers, it took me a long time to realize you could pick up multiple shells at a time and store them in your pouches like that. It makes reloading them much easier when you’re palming as many as you can actually stuff into the weapon.

With shotguns, you also have to just reload between each wave. Shotguns are definitely my least favourite weapon in the game though.

Finally, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize you could “spawn lock” ammo in your inventory by default. I kept running out of ammo in the first wave lol.

I’ve beaten Take and Hold only once, using the WWII loadout, after getting really lucky with a PPSh-41 and an StG-44, both of which had huge magazines and good sights.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
On the Vive and Index controllers, you press and hold the bottom of the touch pad. It’s awkward.

I agree that H3VR controls are rough and I think it’s also due to Anton seemingly playing almost exclusively with the Vive controller. Some of the gestures are really difficult even on the Index due to the smaller, rectangular touchpad. Can’t imagine how it’d work on an oculus controller.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Great Beer posted:

Why is a focus wheel not standard? Moving lenses back and forth isn't that hard, binoculars have been doing it forever.

That would help people with myopia/hyperopia but not people like myself with astigmatism (or any other eye problem let that isn’t corrected by moving the focal point forwards or backwards)

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Penpal posted:

Is this another Oculus exclusive? Haven't heard of this. Is this the remake of the 90's PC games?

It was leaked through a Microsoft Store posting, so likely not. Not sure where the OP is getting the VR support story from though, because as far as I know the only thing we know is this: https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1271502677667528704

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

VR for the entire campaign / game and full crossplay confirmed

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1272544930766876673?s=12

Oh god I'm going to vomit so much when this comes out :cry:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lowen SoDium posted:

My valve index has always had an issue with steam vr saying it can't connect to the hmd on start up (436) but I could usually get around it by unplugging the trident cable, closing steam vr, plugging it back in, and starting steam vr.

Recently, it has gotten where that's not working either.

Steam support is going to send me a new trident cable. If that doesn't work, I guess the next step is too rma the hmd.

Anyone else have experience with this problem?

I had the same experience when I first set up my Index, and switching which DP port I was using on my card seemed to fix the issue completely. As far as I could tell from my cards documentation the ports were all equivalent

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

lunar detritus posted:

DLSS is almost stupid in how much it improves performance in high resolutions, which is VR's highest "cost." I doubt it'll become mandatory for VR, but implementing it would be a free upgrade in visible detail in most cases.

I haven't encountered any VR games that use TAA -- has anyone else? I don't know if its a bandwidth issue or a more fundamental problem with generating a velocity buffer in VR but I've noticed that TAA just doesn't seem used at all.

It could also be that the instability of the "camera" in VR means you get much more blurring and ghosting with TAA in VR than with typical desktop games (where ghosting is still pretty noticable and distracting). Which in turn might mean increased nausea.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I sort of doubt that DLSS is going to see adoption in VR since it's basically just a vendor specific form of TSAA, and will still produce sub-optimal results when it encounters dissoccluion, rapid view changes, etc. But I'm happy to be proven wrong as someone with an nvidia card :D

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I tried playing War Thunder VR on my Index last night and it was pretty awful. The UI is oriented in the wrong direction and is absolutely _massive_, requiring you to crane your neck up and down and left and right just to navigate the options menu. Once I got in the game my head was inside the plane's fuselage, rather than the cockpit, I have no idea why.

Once I adjusted my position I just ended up getting pretty severe nausea within 10 minutes, but I think that's more my problem (hard to avoid rolling when you're in a dog fight). I ended up just playing on my flat screen and it was a lot more enjoyable, even if it felt ridiculous to not be able to look around freely.

Are there any flight sims that treat VR as a first class citizen (other than VTOL VR and Ultrawings)? I might try Ultrawings again and just turn off the controller haptics that cause it to totally flip out.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

It actually plays really well now? This feels like you didn't have the latest patches or something wasn't working right. Warthunder is one of the better VR games you can play, and since its free, its great.

There's a bit to learn but... yeah IDK.

I downloaded it right before playing it, and it did update (in their launcher thingy), so I'm not really sure what to say. The game is fun, but the VR implementation made me start sweating before I was even sitting in a cockpit. Apparently there's a separate "reset view" button in War Thunder, so that probably would've helped to know. I don't understand why it seems to ignore the starting position and orientation that I've set up in SteamVR's setup, but maybe with the reset my view would've been more reasonable. I'm also pretty sure it ignores the graphics options in the SteamVR overlay, since changing the resolution settings seemed to make no difference.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh you're running it through Steam? Yeah I don't even do that. I use the standalone launcher. Usually games like Elite and MMOs and stuff that exist outside steam but then also exist in steam, the steam version usually works less well. And that's probably why your steam vr overlay settings aren't being used. Just go to the website and download the game there. Its free.

But.... yeah. I don't mean to be rude but this comes across to me like the guy saying "payday 2 sucks in VR!" after trying it for 5 minutes, and I'm over here with like 100 hours of Payday VR and its one of the most incredible VR games IMO, and ... uh...

Like, lots of VR games require fiddling and figuring out things. If you only want super polished games, I can get that, and we're getting to where there are more polished VR games. But a lot of VR is still very bleeding edge and requires you to know how to work with your equipment. WarThunder works really well if you put in the 10 minutes to figure it out.

I guess we just have different expectations of VR but to me being surprised a game doesn't use SteamVR seated position or whatever is like, who cares? Of course you're gonna bind a key to reset position that's a given... but I guess if you don't do sim racing or things like that you have a different perspective.

SteamVR is started when using my headset in any way, including playing games not downloaded through Steam.

I admit that I may have had the wrong expectations, since as you say, I'm haven't tried playing driving or flight sims in VR before this. However, I've played other games that aren't "VR first" like House of the Dying Sun and Thumper which respected my orientation and position setup, and provided clear prompts for how to reset my view, which war thunder did not. I think War Thunder might be a very fun game and might even work great in VR once you've got the setup figured out, but I was just sharing my negative initial impressions.

I think it's okay to criticize games that don't do even the most basic things to reduce friction in VR -- like showing a prompt for how to reset the view (rather than relying on people to look it up online, I guess? The in-game menus were totally unusable for me). I understand you have different expectations, but I don't see why you'd be so dismissive of such an obviously negative experience.

The amount of time I could spend fiddling with it in-game was limited by how nauseous I was getting from using the menus.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Shine posted:

One quirk with War Thunder is that the UI scales to the desktop resolution of the game, which includes both the main menu and the in-game stuff (the speed/altitude poo poo in the upper left, the chat window, etc.). Playing on Index, the UI feels best for me if I have the game window resolution at 1280x1024. If you feel like the UI is way too big or small, then mess with the in-game resolution (it won't affect the VR resolution) until it fits better.

Oh this is useful! Thank you, I’ll give that a try.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

veni veni veni posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the point where VR has basically no visible pixels and is also affordable will be the point it truly hits the mainstream. Blurriness, even a small amount always felt like a hard sell in a world that is used to crystal clear screens.

There's basically one of two things that need to happen before this can happen:

- A incredibly drastic change in graphics rendering that no longer scales with pixel count
OR
- Variable rate shading that allows us to only shade the area that the user is actually looking in, potentially also taking into account the increased pixel density at the edges of VR displays due to lens distortion.

Nvidia is heavily investing in the latter with their research at the moment, while also researching new techniques like real time ray tracing that scale linearly with pixel count and sample count (which is basically worst case). So much of the GPU's compute power is wasted on parts of the screen that the user isn't actually resolving at anything close to the resolution being output.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Boz0r posted:

It's probably against the purpose of the thread, but does that no-VR mod for Alyx work? I don't have the cash for a headset, but I'd like to try it.

It’s not worth it. There game is designed to be fun in a VR headset, and without one it would be buggy and pretty boring, with awkward level design and simple weapons. Problems like the simple AI and low enemy variety are also way more problematic outside of VR.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 3, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

BisbyWorl posted:

And now that I think about it, would Alyx's weapons even work on a flat screen mod without making custom animations for everything? They might just slap in some HL2 weapons and call it a day, which would further trivialize the game.

That's the first thing people did since the weapons still exist in the game's code and you can just type in some console commands to spawn them in. At first, the associated assets were missing but I think people have modded them back in.

I loved HL:A perhaps more than many other people in this thread (I liked killing headcrabs, and thought the set pieces were amazing), but I really do wish it had more enemy variety, especially with the Combine. And I wish the Combine enemies that are in the game were a bit more mobile and intelligent. (The boys with the miniguns just standing around was a bummer).

I'm hoping all their talk of "not being afraid of Half Life anymore" isn't just bluster and that they come out with a sequel in the next few years that refines the existing experience and adds more variety.

Has anyone checked out the content on the HL:A workshop? I've been meaning to but haven't gotten around it it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Alyx's performance is somewhat compromised by how many different settings you have to worry about in SteamVR and how Alyx itself has different fidelity settings that are adjusted automatically based on your framerate. This blog post provides a good overview of how things are changing under the hood and how you really just want to set the SteamVR resoltion at 100%, disable motion smoothing (especially if you're using teleportation), make sure the game-specific settings are at 100% and only then start lowering settings if you find the FPS dipping below the target/you're getting a blurry image.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Kikas posted:

Just read the article and this explains so much. Especially how performance shits the bed once a hacking hologram appears.
Gotta force fidelity myself then.

I do wish it was easier in general to just tell SteamVR to target half the headset's refresh rate instead of having frame times bouncing all the time. I feel like my PC would have no problem hitting 60 or 72 FPS, but it definitely struggles with 90 or 120 at times just due to my weaker CPU. And at 80/90 Hz, missing the target and momentarily dropping to 40/45 is just so much more noticeable than consistent reprojection at 60 or 72 fps.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, you can... you can choose 120 or 90. But... you really don't want to force 60 on an HMD. That's not fast enough to be comfortable.

I guess if you can live with constant reprojection, but I find it really distracting and if consistent eventually uncomfortable.

I think you missed my point a bit. I know you can choose the refresh rate of the headset. I'm saying I wish I could limit frames too for better frame pacing and just use constant reprojection for intermediate frames. There's no way to do that in steamVR, AFAIK.

I have found less performant areas a bit more comfortable when the reprojection just stays on with a steady frame rate than areas where I dip below the limit every second or so.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and you missed my point a bit, which is that forcing a frame limit below 90 seems like a terrible idea. If you aren't getting 90 I would try turning down all the settings, not trying to limit to 60 for better frame timing.

Unfortunately most settings in games like Alyx affect GPU load rather than CPU, so I haven’t had much luck! Cluttered or expansive areas where the CPU is just submitting tons of draw calls result in poor GPU utilization regardless of most settings.

A potential counterpoint is games like IL-2 and DCS which only run at 60 FPS on my PC regardless of settings, and I have to lean on reprojection heavily. I have found it pretty tolerable and experience no real discomfort, aside from how nauseating barrel rolls are in VR. (As in, I don’t find it any more nauseating than Ultrawings)

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Shogunner posted:

it's looking likely that it'll be the end of october, atleast according to the person i spoke with for their US distributor

worth it I'd say if you don't want the FB headset or to wait until the first restock in 2021

between the cpu bottleneck and the nvidia shortage, we're probably just going to cope with it

how bad is the MSFS cpu bottleneck anyway? Does it like not utilize more than 1 core well or something

It doesn't scale past 6 threads, basically. All the rendering happens on a single thread (thanks to D3D11) which means that you need good single core speed. Even with a lowly i5 6600k, I see pretty uneven core utilization and my GPU is sometimes starved for work.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's be honest; the monkey paw's inevitably gonna curl a finger real tight on that one with a Facebook headset before long.

Yeah it’s tough too, because eye tracking is required for foveated rendering, but it’s also easy to monetize/weaponize against the user.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any VR game or even a tech demo i can try that have implemented DLSS? I'm really interested in how well that piece of tech would work in practice, especially in VR where all the flaws of checkerboard rendering would be extra visible.

The DLSS 2.1 SDK, which added support for VR, was released in early September, so I think you cannot find any games with it just yet. We'll see whether any VR devs take advantage of it. We've talked about it in this thread before but there are significant challenges with delivering a good TAA solution in VR, DLSS or not. DLSS probably has the best hope since it seems to have the best heuristics for rejecting/accepting reprojected pixel history, but I don't see what it can do about the much more erratic camera movement (which will result in more smearing and ghosting in typical TAA solutions).

EDIT: Also wrt that Ars Technica preview, I think there math might just be a bit off there. If the average frame time is 8.2 ms but the spread is +/- 1ms you're going to end up dropping a lot of frames due to v-sync. Really you want a max frame time of 8.2ms and it's not clear from the article whether that's what he was getting.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 1, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Skyarb posted:

I keep hearing about people saying things like "Grab the community binding" for index controllers in phasmophobia. How the heck do I do that?

In the SteamVR overlay menu, there should be a section for "Controllers" and a button on that menu to change your bindings from "Legacy".

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lockback posted:

H3VR guns are amazing, and there are lots of different modes to play with. It has a reputation for just being a shooting range but that is only a small part of it.

Honestly, for people playing with PCVR I cannot recommend Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades enough.

Agreed. I keep coming back to it because popping sausage heads with the various rifles and shotguns is incredible.

I initially kind of bounced off of it due to the complete lack of instructions or tutorials in the game, but once it clicks it's really satisfying. I would just watch a Take and Hold playthrough or video tutorial or something so that you understand what's actually going on. When I first played that mode I didn't notice the radar, which meant I just wondered the hallways until I found some Sosigs which took a long time (map is kind of big). I also didn't understand how to spawn lock ammo, pick up multiple shells in a single hand, etc.

I'm really excited for the new control scheme too, since currently it's largely designed for the Vive wand's trackpad. With the Index's smaller pad, it's hard to do some things with any reliability (like open any break actions), especially with my larger hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lockback posted:

Return of Rottenweiners is a full fledged VR rogue-lite, The Xmas Globe has like 6 mini-games that are all pretty solid (especially king of the grill), Take and Hold has like 8 different characters which change gameplay, inventory, and enemy type (including a zombie mode with multiple sides). Saying H3VR is a "Gun Range Simulator" basically means you haven't played it.

In their defence, I haven’t tried many of the different modes because I have no idea which ones are actual “game modes”, how they work, how old they are etc. But maybe I’m just being lazy.

Also I personally could not get into Rottweiners at all. I don’t like moving through the world very much and my god there’s a lot of open space on that map.

EDIT: But I also love Take and Hold, and think calling it "barely a game mode" is dumb. If you don't think it's fun or think it's shallow that's one thing, but it's definitely a game mode.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 27, 2020