Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know I thought Reed Richards was being kind of a dick in X-Men/FF but now finding out that the X-Men's primary form of power rehabilitation is putting you in loving Thunderdome with Apocalypse I'm siding pretty solidly with the Richards clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That's for people who lost their powers on M day. Franklin's situation is different (and Dr Doom will probably fix his problem).

I'm kidding :ssh:

... mostly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A discussion in another thread reminded me that Nightcrawler has been to actual literal heaven so it's weird that he's planning to start a new religion. I mean yeah it's hard to see Jesus' resurrection as anything miraculous when you and all your buddies have basically made death a joke and you can go to the post-resurrection orgy every Friday, but Kurt knows for a fact that Christianity leads to heaven.

Though granted, in Marvel apparently all religions, along with all their heavens and hells, exist and are equally valid.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 27, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know the tails on speech bubbles get messed up all the time in comics but I really got a kick out of Goldballs Egg suddenly becoming Scottish in X-Factor this week.

This is a good post and I appreciate it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s a solid hook. You tell me there’s a book in which noted mutant Quentin Quire is repeatedly murdered in ever increasingly gruesome ways then buddy you bet your rear end I will subscribe to said book.

The next X-event will just be them facing off against an army of Quires all Frankenstein'd together from the numerous corpses the X-Men leave lying around.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

Listen, if we can't constantly remind a girl about her one big failure in life and prevent or walk back any character progress from it, can we really say we're cape comic book fans?

Maybe she can hook up with Hank Pym so the entire Marvel Universe can have one joint punching bag.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Maybe Pym and "punching bag" are a bad combo, especially when talking about another woman.

:drat: well played, sir

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember when Cable was just the secret identity of The Wild Man of Borneo.

...See you around

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Okay, poo poo, finally got around to getting my books and reading X-Factor.
So if Real Santo isn't back by the end of this event, I plan on suing for emotional anguish or some poo poo like that. Who do I aim my lawyers at, Marvel Comics or Jon Hickman? There are like FOUR X-Men total that I don't not care about if you throw them into the Permadeath Meat Grinder: Gabby, Laura, Anole, and SANTO.

Came into this thread to ditto this post almost exactly. Out of all the mutants, they took my boy!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hexate posted:

The info-dumps continually sprinkled throughout the event about the kingdoms of Otherworld makes suspect what Saturnyne's game is. Ten duels, ten kingdoms? Hmm...

Man I sure hope it's leading somewhere because I so do not give a poo poo about Otherworld and just reading about its kingdoms is not making me interested in the least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's very weird to me that the multiverse is mostly restored after Secret Wars now but for some reason the Captain Britain Corps is still all dead. Maybe Franklin Richards secretly hates the British?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, is there a reason that Warlock is Doug's arm? It seems like Doug still has an arm and that Warlock is capable of separating himself, so what's the deal there?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Warlock's been hiding.

Yeah, but like, is that from a previous run, have they explained it at all or is this something that's gonna be explained further down the line?

(also he's not hiding very well, people have got to have noticed Doug has a weird black techno-arm and everybody in XoS has to be wondering where the sword came from)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Was this New Mutants: Dead Souls? I remember that series being extremely bad, but don't remember this particular bit.

No I remember this one, I think it was in one of the Return of Wolverine minis. Charles Soule brought him in and theorized that the internet is kind of a language unto itself (in addition to, you know, having every language on it) and so Doug basically got addicted to trying to decode it. Daredevil and... I forget, some other character, have to drag him off the computer so he can help them. And as much as I love Charles Soule, that's one I'm fine with being memory-holed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

I stopped after issue 15 and I didn't hate teen angst Franklin. But his biggest sin was turning Val into a boy-crushing ditz and that was as blatant of misunderstanding a character as I can think of.

I mean, it was only the one boy and it was pretty clearly set up as a gag about how that boy was like Namor, the Franklin thing is a much bigger deal.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Come to think of it, are there any popular characters that were created because the writer wasn't allowed to use a planned character at the last minute over at Marvel? I know that's how DC got two separate carbon copies on Constantine running around.

Well I mean rather infamously recently the Inhumans basically became substitute mutants because Disney still didn't have film rights for the X-Men and there were a whole crop of them invented*. Like, that was never stated but we all know what the gently caress's up. In an alternate world where Disney got the X-Men rights sooner, Ms. Marvel would totally be a mutant.

*And even if no one else liked them, I will die on the hill that those were some good-rear end books.

edit: and on that same note, even though it's not creating new characters, Disney/Marvel shunning the X-Men meant that a lot of other (conveniently MCU related) characters got to make their fighting game debut in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 8, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
so uh, am I supposed to know who that dude at the end of SWORD was? The only thing I can think of is Cable since he has a glowy eye and a comically oversized gun but other than that he doesn't look like Cable at all.

Also I really like Brand making contingencies in case she needs to go against the Council. That lady wants to protect the planet from space-borne threats and she don't give a gently caress who she's gotta backstab to do that job.

thetoughestbean posted:

gently caress.

Is the Sentinel still okay???

Nope, both got blown up in the awful trainwreck that was Avengers Arena

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

Someone can correct me if I missed an appearance elsewhere, but I believe last we saw Sunspot he was hanging out with the Shiar to stay close to Cannonball and try to hook up with Deathbird.

Yeah, he's playing Uncle Jesse for Cannonball/Smasher's kid

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Cable is a really good book.

But no, we haven't seen him and Hope interact that I remember. Maybe the awful Rosenberg run touched on it, but nothing from that run should ever be remembered.

Maybe it was Rosenberg, but I feel like there's been at least one time in some book or another where Hope swore vengeance on him. Regardless, yeah I guess she got over it quick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

didn't joe mad forget that ultimate wasp is asian in that book

iirc, he also forgot Ultimate Mjolnir looked different and just gave Thor the 616 one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

Reed being butthurt about it once he finds out would be great.

"You fuckers stole my idea, I know it, don't even try to say you didn't! I don't know how, but you did! GOD DAMMIT I hate this universe!"

or

"Yeah whatever man, real fuckin cool idea, just get ready for when your little city fuckin' backstabs you"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 27, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

I think it wants us to believe that they are not mutants, but these kinds think (or maybe hope is a better word?) that they are mutants.

That was my read on it. This bunch of teens feel like outcasts and suddenly there's a voice in their head from Charles Xavier talking about how they've got a paradise island that everybody that's hated and feared is welcome to live on... as long as you're a mutant. So they're all trying to be like mutants the best way they know how, which is just straight up copy the X-Men.

The only real question is how they have powers. Like, if they're using tech how are these kids getting their hands on such sophisticated stuff? Alternately, are they Inhumans that just don't want to go to New Attilan because Marvel has the film rights to the X-Men now plus the Inhumans show bombed and so everyone forgot about New Attilan? Or are we going all the way back to classic Marvel and everyone just got exposed to radiation but somehow didn't die?

I did get a kick out of how all the actual X-Men are so dumbfounded. Like everyone's just sitting around puzzled as to how these kids aren't showing up on Cerebro like they all don't personally know dozens of non-mutants with superpowers.

Cyclops: "Cerebro doesn't detect them? Why would our machine designed to detect mutants and only mutants not detect these children?"
Everyone else :iiam:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just caught up with X-Force and I appreciate what they're trying to do with rejecting human fashion and being mutants, Quire's pink hover frames are the stupidest loving thing and I hate them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Prof X's outfit looks like the first form of a JRPG boss. Expecting an assassin to come at him only for him to sprout wings and Latin chanting to start

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Way of X: Legion bringing himself back ruled and I especially love him doing it directly behind Xavier going all "oh he's too dangerous to bring back" (especially because it's totally hypocritical since he just brought back Orphan-Maker a few months back despite his unnamed power supposedly being able to kill everyone on the island if he isn't shoved in an armor)

Anyway regarding X-Men in general, I think it's real neat that all the X-Men get to have crazy costumes for a gala but I gotta say that I am really liking all the current books' direction and don't care for yet another event interrupting everything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
General X-question: Can mutants have non-mutant kids or are they 100% guaranteed mutants?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really hope not because I really want to see Magneto try to explain to Wanda why he let a bunch of kids be indoctrinated into seeing her as their Satan figure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

looking forward to never seeing any followup on the Rockslide situation at all

Possible silver lining: maybe a future writer forgets his new status quo and my boy can come back

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure why, but mystique obviously flubbed that mission on purpose. why else would she wait around and watch while they brought nimrod online?

I don't know about intentional flubbing but yeah that whole thing reeked of "well we needed her to stand around and listen to exposition because the plot needed to happen."

I mean drat if it's a black hole bomb why wait, hell why even put a timer on it, have someone walk through the portal, throw it like a frag grenade and then walk back through. Plant it in a bathroom stall and leave. Send a Madrox with it strapped to his chest. So many other solutions to "stop Nimrod from coming online" than "wait for Nimrod to come online"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look everybody likes Karma's shiny leg!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much all of Hellions was great but the best moment in the X-books this week had to be Emma having the hots for Captain America for like 5 minutes before reading him and coming to the horrifying truth that she reminds him of his mother.

So I guess drat, Mrs. Rogers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Storm was Queen of a sovereign nation and I believe acting ruler of it at one point.

Speaking of, I know people joked about the Avengers/Fantastic Four showing up underdressed to this gala, but it was real weird that Black Panther was still in his work clothes. Aren't he and Storm still together? Seems like she could've told him to pick out a nice suit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure they had gotten back together in Black Panther (though I tagged out of Coates' run after he started that interminable Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda story) but maybe I'm misremembering.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Regardless, during X of Swords Storm broke into a Wakandan vault and stole an important cultural artifact. It was like the blade of the first Wakandan king or something.

Yeah I knew that I was just kind of wondering if anybody like TNC had addressed when that happened in comparison with BP and whether T'Challa/Wakanda were still on the outs with her or not. I guess probably not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quotey posted:

ILLUMINATI ILLUMINATI

THEY'RE COMING BACK

e: did they ever really leave

I think that falls into that confusing thing of "just who remembers the lead-up to Secret Wars and how much of it do they remember?" because I think the only definite "yes"s are T'Challa and Reed. I know if Cap remembered any of the incursion poo poo he wouldn't be standing in the same room with the rest of those dudes. Might still be ready to fight Tony to death in the desert.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was very clearly sour grapes. the real answer to "how is your empire going" was "better than yours ever has" but mags and xavier were trying to be polite. "i'm in charge of everything in my fantasies" was really not the burn namor thought it was.

I think it's a bit of a burn because he's essentially saying that they're still trying to play nice with the humans. Like, even with them declaring to the world that they are the future and they're gonna dominate the world via capitalism and their drugs, they're still more or less trying to live Xavier's dream... or a variation of it, where mutants coexist with humans peacefully (even if they're dominating them socially/financially/etc). Namor's going "You guys are throwing this shindig and trying to look cool to these celebs and maybe form diplomatic relationships with these ambassadors. My dream is to rule everything."

Essentially it's a wordier version of that panel where Isca the Unbeaten tells Xavier and Mags that they're a child government. Namor's saying "yeah, this is real cute and all boys but I'm not settling to be on some council, I'm the king of the loving ocean, I'm gonna rule it all"

Cloks posted:

Marc Maron was in one of the issues today but i forget which.

Can't wait to hear who Professor X's guys are.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 15, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

"Please return my alternate version's wardrobe thanks"

Meanwhile the Maker's spying on them going "please, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing all white. The giant gold X on the helmet though...."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Planet-Sized: Sure Magneto, I think taking an island of omega-level mutants who are all obsessed with war, giving them a planet and then declaring them regents of the solar system is a great idea. I'm excited to read SWORD and have a full two page spread of Brand just yelling gently caress over this development.

Saoshyant posted:

And then (major spoiler) Vita Ayala decides to kill Gabby off-screen. What. The. gently caress. This is complete trite and just awful in general.

brb gotta go flip a table over

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

They aren't all Omega level, I think most of them just have that "good at killing things" mutant power non Omega mutants from the 90's used to have. It's an island of mostly Bishops and Shatterstars.

Yeah I rechecked and you're right, only their ruling council is entirely Omegas.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

I think we're due to see a new original megavillian.

*Donny Cates bursts into the room in a sweat*

"Let me tell you about this sick new character called Knull"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Actually, are the Arakkoans going to be manning the Mars station? That seems like a good way to get into a war with the rest of the universe

Jiro posted:

I do wonder if Arrako is just going to turn on Earth eventually with Apocalypse and his wife at the helm.

I feel like there's no way that we don't get a War with Arakko story later on down the pipeline where Krakoa realizes that wow this wasn't the great idea we thought it was at the time. The only question is whether it's gonna be that the Arakkoan mutants just go declare war on Earth to try and dominate it, or whether they're gonna start a war with some aliens and drag Earth into it.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I really loved Captain America in SWORD today. His sad "I just hoped we'd all look for it together" is so good. Unlike everyone else, who is shocked and appalled at Planet Arakko, Cap just wants the best for the mutants. Of any other non-mutant Marvel character, I feel like Cap believed in Xavier's dream at heart. I wish Al Ewing would write Cap.

Beast needs to get thrown in the Sabretooth hole.

At this point I think Cap believes in Xavier's dream more than Xavier does.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder if the same can be said about Franklin (and if that would bring his power back)

Can't wait to see Sue pop Charles' head like a grape when he offers Franklin a chance to do the Crucible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

I'm biased because I mostly hate the Arrako stuff but I think they've set them up to be fodder down the road. I think Mars is wiped out by Nimrod at the end of all this. There's a Chekovs Gun thing here with creating a bunch new faceless characters in a story about the genocide of those types of people.

I may have missed this but is Cerebro backing up the Arrako folks?

Yeah I could see it going either way. ORCHIS pulling a Genosha 2.0 on a planetary scale would serve as a good story point (and from a meta standpoint, would clear the board so no one has to ask "Hey wait aren't there a bunch of super powerful mutants on Mars? What are they doing?" the next time aliens attack)