Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

Beto just dropped out of the race.

He also quickly said that he is not going to run for Senate either.

Well, he's still a twerp but at least he knew it was time to quit unlike the rest of the clown car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fallom posted:

Naturally the billions of dollars in new productivity will be sent to the teachers

My mom dealt with “volunteer” after school care for 40 years. Volunteers were assigned according to a strict rotation and if you refused to do it you were practically submitting your resignation.

Either call for shortening the work day, instead, or an after school program that doesn’t lean on teachers giving up even more of their time.

Yeah, this. I'm already at work long before the students and stay after they leave because the actual teaching part is not the entire job. I have no faith in any proposal in any industry which requires "volunteers" to work longer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Also there are very good replies regarding how kids spend too much time in school already and how they need unstructured time rather than "enrichment activities" which we all know certain districts will turn into grinding test prep.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Wizard posted:

Raging tankie that still denies Russian election interference and leaking the names of confidential sources

Also, constant smug leftier-than-thou attitude despite having supported W Bush and the Iraq war because he was "apolitical" back then, and also denying having supported Bush and the Iraq war.

Also, keeps showing up on white nationalist talk shows to attack the media and Democrats.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

WaPo: Democrats in chaos!

I feel like I’ve heard this one before.

Seems like someone posts a variation on this from Fred Hiatt's Home Depot of Bad Ideas at least monthly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

Same. I think a lot of people think this, too. "The world would be a better place if all boomers except my parents died."

I don't think that.
(my parents aren't boomers; they're Bernie's age)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yes, reaching out to members of a literal violent fascist street gang to talk about gun control without giving any thought to how they might twist any photos of his presence there or make themselves look mainstream and worthy of talking to is the bright star of :decorum: burning at the center of Galaxy Brain there.

Even though Hogg isn’t a chud this was really stupid of him.

He's 19, dude.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

I’d hope the young adult son of an FBI agent would know better than to hang put with alt-righters who will predictably and immediately turn on him, but oh well, the guy did a stupid thing.

You'd hope that but oh well.
How many of us made some far more stupid choices when we were around 19?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

This is a bit worse than getting extreme sadbrains over some girl, but it's still a 19 year old's mistake.

I was more referring to enlisting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

I can’t wait to jack off across the Med.

You gotta edge for a while to get that kind of pressure buildup.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/1193654843581325312

https://twitter.com/mljabbur/status/1193654296509857792?s=19

Also Bolivia has 43% of the world's lithium reserves and the coup happened less than a week after he canceled a deal with a German corporation and said Bolivian lithium belongs to Bolivian people.

OTOH, "term limits don't apply to me" is also typical South American strong man bullshit so...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

True, though the twitter account is clearly a troll and people are engaging it seriously which is also funny.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

She can dunk on the mental midget in charge all she wants, she's still a loving ghoul who is committed to watching the world burn for all of us rather than make any meaningful policy change

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, all she's doing is telling Nero that his fiddle is out of tune.

Yeah, if she really cared about the poo poo Trump does she should do something meaningful like impeach him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Ladies and gentlemen, the United States Attorney General:

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1195721384988758016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

Barr is a grade A piece of poo poo to the point I, in my sparkling ignorance, might actually prefer Sessions

If you read the whole thing, there is a significant portion dedicated to how the Framers intended to create a strong Executive branch and that Congress has usurped the President's power.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

The grammar school civics class version of our Revolution is that it was a rebellion against monarchial tyranny, and that, in framing our Constitution, one of the main preoccupations of the Founders was to keep the Executive weak. This is misguided.
Things changed by the Constitutional Convention of 1787. To my mind, the real “miracle” in Philadelphia that summer was the creation of a strong Executive, independent of, and coequal with, the other two branches of government.

The consensus for a strong, independent Executive arose from the Framers’ experience in the Revolution and under the Articles of Confederation. They had seen that the War had almost been lost and was a bumbling enterprise because of the lack of strong Executive leadership. Under the Articles of Confederation, they had been mortified at the inability of the United States to protect itself against foreign impositions or to be taken seriously on the international stage. They had also seen that, after the Revolution, too many States had adopted constitutions with weak Executives overly subordinate to the Legislatures.

quote:

One of the more amusing aspects of modern progressive polemic is their breathless attacks on the “unitary executive theory.” They portray this as some new-fangled “theory” to justify Executive power of sweeping scope. In reality, the idea of the unitary executive does not go so much to the breadth of Presidential power. Rather, the idea is that, whatever the Executive powers may be, they must be exercised under the President’s supervision. This is not “new,” and it is not a “theory.” It is a description of what the Framers unquestionably did in Article II of the Constitution.

After you decide to establish an Executive function independent of the Legislature, naturally the next question is, who will perform that function? The Framers had two potential models. They could insinuate “checks and balances” into the Executive branch itself by conferring Executive power on multiple individuals (a council) thus dividing the power. Alternatively, they could vest Executive power in a solitary individual. The Framers quite explicitly chose the latter model because they believed that vesting Executive authority in one person would imbue the Presidency with precisely the attributes necessary for energetic government. Even Jefferson – usually seen as less of a hawk than Hamilton on Executive power – was insistent that Executive power be placed in “single hands,” and he cited the America’s unitary Executive as a signal feature that distinguished America’s success from France’s failed republican experiment.

The implications of the Framers’ decision are obvious. If Congress attempts to vest the power to execute the law in someone beyond the control of the President, it contravenes the Framers’ clear intent to vest that power in a single person, the President. So much for this supposedly nefarious theory of the unitary executive.

quote:

So let me turn now to how the Executive is presently faring in these interbranch battles. I am concerned that the deck has become stacked against the Executive. Since the mid-60s, there has been a steady grinding down of the Executive branch’s authority, that accelerated after Watergate. More and more, the President’s ability to act in areas in which he has discretion has become smothered by the encroachments of the other branches.

quote:

I think there are two aspects of contemporary thought that tend to operate to the disadvantage of the Executive.

The first is the notion that politics in a free republic is all about the Legislative and Judicial branches protecting liberty by imposing restrictions on the Executive.

This prejudice is wrong-headed and atavistic.

quote:

As I have said, the Framers fully expected intense pulling and hauling between the Congress and the President. Unfortunately, just in the past few years, we have seen these conflicts take on an entirely new character.

Immediately after President Trump won election, opponents inaugurated what they called “The Resistance,” and they rallied around an explicit strategy of using every tool and maneuver available to sabotage the functioning of his Administration.

A prime example of this is the Senate’s unprecedented abuse of the advice-and-consent process. The Senate is free to exercise that power to reject unqualified nominees, but that power was never intended to allow the Senate to systematically oppose and draw out the approval process for every appointee so as to prevent the President from building a functional government.

Yet that is precisely what the Senate minority has done from his very first days in office. As of September of this year, the Senate had been forced to invoke cloture on 236 Trump nominees — each of those representing its own massive consumption of legislative time meant only to delay an inevitable confirmation. How many times was cloture invoked on nominees during President Obama’s first term? 17 times. The Second President Bush’s first term? Four times. It is reasonable to wonder whether a future President will actually be able to form a functioning administration if his or her party does not hold the Senate.

Get cancer.

quote:

One of the ironies of today is that those who oppose this President constantly accuse this Administration of “shredding” constitutional norms and waging a war on the rule of law. When I ask my friends on the other side, what exactly are you referring to? I get vacuous stares, followed by sputtering about the Travel Ban or some such thing. While the President has certainly thrown out the traditional Beltway playbook, he was upfront about that beforehand, and the people voted for him. What I am talking about today are fundamental constitutional precepts. The fact is that this Administration’s policy initiatives and proposed rules, including the Travel Ban, have transgressed neither constitutional, nor traditional, norms, and have been amply supported by the law and patiently litigated through the Court system to vindication.

Indeed, measures undertaken by this Administration seem a bit tame when compared to some of the unprecedented steps taken by the Obama Administration’s aggressive exercises of Executive power – such as, under its DACA program, refusing to enforce broad swathes of immigration law.

The fact of the matter is that, in waging a scorched earth, no-holds-barred war of “Resistance” against this Administration, it is the Left that is engaged in the systematic shredding of norms and the undermining of the rule of law.

Terminal rectal cancer.

quote:

To my mind, the most blatant and consequential usurpation of Executive power in our history was played out during the Administration of President George W. Bush, when the Supreme Court, in a series of cases, set itself up as the ultimate arbiter and superintendent of military decisions inherent in prosecuting a military conflict – decisions that lie at the very core of the President’s discretion as Commander in Chief.

This usurpation climaxed with the Court’s 2008 decision in Boumediene. There, the Supreme Court overturned hundreds of years of American, and earlier British, law and practice, which had always considered decisions as to whether to detain foreign combatants to be purely military judgments which civilian judges had no power to review. For the first time, the Court ruled that foreign persons who had no connection with the United States other than being confronted by our military on the battlefield had “due process” rights and thus have the right to habeas corpus to obtain judicial review of whether the military has a sufficient evidentiary basis to hold them.

And have your corpse eaten by wild dogs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

There's a bit of bait and switch going on. A unitary executive within the executive is a good thing and is well established and not controversial. Stated another way, there should not be externally enforced checks and balances within the executive branch.

What Barr is trying to do is to port the idea of the unitary executive outside the executive branch and have the unitary executive control/overpower the other two branches of government, which is absolutely not established and is very controversial. Checks and balances between the three branches of government is one of those foundational to the US idea of government things.

Barr must feel that the country has reached a tipping point of conservative power that it can't return from, to now come out so fully and unabashedly for making the legislature and judiciary subservient to the executive.

I don't know, isn't the independence of the Department of Justice supposed to be a check and balance within the executive branch that everyone agrees on?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GoGoGadget posted:

On the subject of TWR, I always thought it had something to do with registration or something to that end, myself. Was very surprised at its hidden, insidious nature.

I laughed at this far longer than I care to admit. That is so obviously him. He even exhales after like he was pushing it out. If it wasn't him, it was so perfectly timed by someone else it's incredible.

I think we found the whistleblower.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

This makes the "top 1%" part a clever statement to have. If the top 1% is this bad, how bad is the other 99%!

If we're talking about field grade officers, you know the answer to that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

The worst fitting suit you can find.

Secret Service won't like his going into the President's closet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Bad Poster posted:

That's a lot of words that Donny doesn't know or give a poo poo about.

The important words should be

quote:

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tesla's financial situation is so dire they can't even afford more polygons.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I genuinely thought the picture of the Tesla truck was photoshopped, and that there was no way that model would be introduced seriously. Not an e-truck, because those were inevitable, and let's be honest, heavier mass-produced e-vehicles are already on the road, but not THAT model.

Tesla had to get something out and it had to be something people would talk about, after Amazon placed a 100,000 electric delivery van order from Rivian.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/HansNichols/status/1198581502411444231

I was going to do a 'gotta hand it to the E7' comment but then I remembered the dril tweet and no, don't gotta hand it to him

Glad dude is coming out on the side of following regulations and orders.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm here to vaporize whatever grudging respect y'all might have accumulated for Rick Perry when he appeared to be keeping his head down and leaving things to the professionals over the last couple of years:
https://twitter.com/CourtneyHagle/status/1198654816928579584?s=19

He really is on his knees for the bailout once his involvement in the Ukraine scandal is fully known.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jarmak posted:

What the gently caress does a high school kid need with a TI-83? I got one (well the 84) for engineering school and still was pretty much a convenience not a necessity 95% of the time.

As has been stated, national standardized tests require them and expect that it's a TI specifically.

I never used mine after high school and that includes engineering physics and calculus in college. All I ever needed was a scientific calculator. The exceptions were specific assignments that we were required to use lab computers with Mathematica on them. I have never needed a graphing calculator except for test questions that were written to specifically need it.

It's a complete scam, but teachers can't refuse to participate because the national testing companies are too powerful.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
We don't need to teach Excel in math class but we should be teaching probability and statistics before calculus. I have an MS in geology and I needed statistics more than calculus, but was far less proficient because it's not emphasized. Every branch of science uses statistics. Very few actual professionals are going to sit down and work out differential equations by hand.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

brains posted:

for all the useless proprietary crap forced on students in the interest of profit margins, excel is solidly in the category of "real-world relevance." even a basic familiarity with excel and the ability to google the rest puts someone ahead of their peers for a huge sampling of jobs, especially entry-level stuff.

teaching excel and word skills should come right alongside teaching basic financial planning, budgeting, and... :(

And no academics, because schools will have turned into corporate skills camps.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

I'm having a hard time accepting that this is a real persons account.

https://twitter.com/aubrey_huff/status/1198657627963547651

Laughing at someone thinking they actually deserve millions of dollars for playing child games.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

LoL if you don't have a pre-nup.

My wife was adamant we get one to protect her savings.

Lol if you have assets worth protecting with a pre-nup.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MRC48B posted:

I'd be ok with them if there were sin taxes on rich people sins. Giant loving yachts and private islands should get taxed 100%.

George H W Bush signed a 10% luxury tax which affected, among other things, yachts.
Clinton repealed it because the yacht industry complained.
George W Bush repealed the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

How quickly will this degenerate into dick-waving about who the "real" veteran is?