Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Seems like Volker missed a whole lot of fairly obvious poo poo for someone working in the State Department as a diplomat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

xarph posted:

Do not forget that Volker is a lobbyist/donor-type pokemon ambassador, not a career diplomat ambassador. His job was supposed to be a sinecure position, but rudy screwed that all up.

I was just saying he's 100% full of poo poo with his claims to be unaware of all the poo poo that was happening around him, especially as someone who was in so many of the relevant meetings.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Gym Jordan trying to get Volker to say the phone call was leaked was hilarious.

Volker: Uhh.. no, there was a whistle blower report the IC IG notified congress about and then the President declassified and released the transcript.

Yeah, keep giving more time to Gym Jordan you idiots.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Hope someone makes a cut of just Schiff's closing speech.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

UnknownTarget posted:

I guess what I was wondering is that if the Senate clears him does it legitimize this behavior for future presidents?

For republican presidents, yes.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
What a disingenuous piece of poo poo.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
:byodood: I MOTION TO SUBPOENA THE WHISTLE BLOWER! :byodood:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I can't stop staring at their hair in this exchange.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ogmius815 posted:

Remember a couple years ago there was that poster who used to post it any time Paul Ryan was mentioned with the same text every time? That was super weird why did that guy do that?

Phazon Link and it was loving annoying as hell.

e: He'd post the whole loving shoot every time.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They’ll impeach him for everything and the kitchen sink if he somehow gets re-elected and they keep the majority.

No they won't, if/when this fails and if he gets re-elected they won't impeach again. It almost took a gun to Pelosi's head to get the process started this time around.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grouchio posted:

Why is Pelosi supporting Trump's trade deal on the same day she calls up two articles for impeachment?? :psyduck:

Probably because it benefits rich people and fucks over the poors I'm assuming.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GutBomb posted:

I don’t read comic books or watch kids movies. What the gently caress is a Thanos and a tony snap?

Calm down guys, there's an adult in the thread now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dapper_Swindler posted:

where is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osv20DN0aTw

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Why the gently caress am I listening to Dough Collins? Ugh.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Maybe if they hadn't wasted all loving day yesterday with petty bullshit they wouldn't have needed to extend it today you loving asshats.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FilthyImp posted:

Lol that the megabrain founders included no mechanisms for "well what if they decide to just not do their jobs?"

Well then you just get them to impeach each other.

:thunk:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

oxsnard posted:

This country is irreparably broken if Trump wins again (he's not winning again)

Barring foreign election interference and voter suppression, you're probably right.

So in summary, LOL.

e:

SubG posted:

Trump's gonna go on a brazen crime spree after the Senate trial. Also before and during the Senate trial.

Also this. If he isn't removed, which is most likely, he and the rest of the GOP are just gonna crime harder.

e2: I don't really think he'll win reelection but I'm not super confident about it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bird food bathtub posted:

Pelosi had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to impeaching after the orange faced fucker stood on live national television and said "Yeah I did the thing, it was a perfect thing, here's the documentation of me doing the thing, and I'd do it again with China because it was perfect!"

I have a really hard time believing she'll do it again.

Yeah, they're not gonna impeach a second time.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

javert kills himself you know

Was going to reply about Javert and was surprised no-one had when I read that post, thank you.

e: Republicans and Libertarians hyperfocus on "they broke they law" (especially when it comes to immigration) because they think it excuses them from the moral implications of the situation. But if you point out that crossing the border illegally was a civil offense that generally resulted in a $10 fine while speeding tickets are much larger fines and they undoubtedly speed on a regular basis they have no response for that.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 17, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ogmius815 posted:

I’d like to bring back “nice meltdown”. I like that catchphrase better.

Sir, nice meltdown, this is a Wendy's drive-through.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreatGreen posted:

I wish somebody would pull an A Time To Kill on the Republicans.

"Imagine the president colluded with a foreign country to cheat in an election. Imagine that president spending millions of tax payer dollars along with doing everything they could to break every law they thought would give them an advantage. Imagine them fighting tooth and nail at every opportunity to deny and obstruct due process and the law in pursuit of these selfish goals.

...now imagine that president was Hillary Clinton.

I yield the remainder of my time."

It would turn out about the same way for the same basic reasons.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreatGreen posted:

Conversational points for chuds who bring up the "63 MILLION VOTES MAKE THIS OK" argument:

65 million people voted for Obama. Does that mean it's ok that he continued to be president even though he committed the crime of being from Kenya?

65.8 million people voted for Hillary. Does that mean those emails don't count?

31 million people voted for Nixon (a larger percent of America at the time that voted for Trump at his election). Does that mean Nixon's crimes were ok?

Other conversational points:

1) Just laugh and laugh and don't stop laughing while you walk away.

e: start with "OK Boomer" if appropriate.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

COOL CORN posted:

Ahhh, yeahhhh, Franklin Graham responded about the Christianity Today article saying his father would be embarrassed and that CT is a liberal mag now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1207847271888539649

The only thing that's gonna come out of that article are some people at the mag getting fired. The remaining Trump supporters are so dug in they're gonna be wearing those hats 20 to 30 years from now, if they live that long.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

vincentpricesboner posted:

Holy poo poo man, I think you might need to absorb less politics because it is seriously bringing you down. Thinking that a literal hundred million people are all demon braindead zealots is quite the take.

There are plenty of good people who voted for Trump, not the same rate as vice versa, but most people do not spend all their minutes analyzing politics like you might.

Just saying, I've had guys rush to my car as it crashed into a ditch and started smoking, that were wearing camo jackets and certainly didn't vote liberal, but quite obviously were moral people. Hell, look at the wave after wave of people that are donating their time,money or food to church food banks, they aren't all liberals.

Anyone who still supports Trump at this point is a bad person.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: wrong thread.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I have a hard time believing Trump knows anyone that isn't Trump, his family or someone that's been on TV a lot. He probably doesn't even recognize his own personal chef, maids or anyone in the Trump org that isn't loving Matthew Calamari.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slowpoke! posted:

Abuse of power is literally “high crime” as written in 1700’s English. It means crime pertaining to misuse of the office of the Presidency (or whatever elected office you hold).

Yeah, but have you considered no? - Super lawyer man Dershowitz.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eke out posted:

impeachment status: trump allies trying to throw the republican lawyers under the bus

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1220176832613552131

No poo poo captain obvious, the only real effect impeachment is going to have is on the public at this point. This is Cillizza level analysis here.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eke out posted:

okay thanks

I was responding to the last tweet, not trying to attack you personally.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Good thing Roberts is there to stop Nadler from making true statements in plain English about the current hosed up situation and calling out the right for the utter bullshit they're pulling.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Otteration posted:

Did Roberts admonish Cipollone or Nadler? Tea leaves maybe.

'His admonishment came on the heels of a sharp exchange between House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler and White House counsel Pat Cipollone over a subpoena for former national security adviser John Bolton's testimony, who was involved in Trump's dealings with Ukraine security aid.
Referring to the rejection of amendments for documents and witnesses, Nadler accused Republican senators of "voting for a coverup."

"So far, I'm sad to say, I see a lot of senators voting for a coverup. Voting to deny witnesses, an absolutely indefensible vote, obviously a treacherous vote," Nadler said. "A vote against an honest consideration of the evidence against the President. A vote against an honest trial. A vote against the United States."

To that, Cipollone responded said Nadler made "false allegations" against the President and lawmakers.

"The only one who should be embarrassed, Mr. Nadler, is you. For the way you addressed this body," Cipollone said. "This is the United States Senate. You're not in charge here."'

He admonished them both:

quote:

"I think it is appropriate at this point for me to admonish both the House managers and the President's counsel, in equal terms ,to remember that they are addressing the world's greatest deliberative body," Roberts said at nearly 1 a.m. ET Wednesday, apparently intent on scolding both sides equally.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sombrerotron posted:

Yes, that was what I was driving at. Dershowitz equating the two betrays on his part either shocking ignorance, shocking deceitfulness, or even both. But aside from that, there really is no logical or moral argument to make against removing any official - much less the President - from office for abuse of power. Even if the people who wrote the Constitution had explicitly argued such, it would be madness to maintain that modern-day America should still subscribe to such a view and limit the use of impeachment powers accordingly.

None of them are ignorant, they're all 100% lying shitlords and they know it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

STAC Goat posted:

I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure Dershowitz just argued that its unfair to hold motive against someone in a trial.

He's argued several times now that motive/intent don't matter at all, which is a complete lie and he knows it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Fart Amplifier posted:

Then the media will counter with "neither side is willing to cooperate"

Cillizza already put out that article.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nix Panicus posted:

Wanting bipartisanship is also an identifier of an idiot. The right will never have anything useful to say about anything.

Your willingness to lick the boots of the right so long as theyre painted blue is a derail from how dumb this whole impeachment process is though

The right does not compromise, if there's anything everyone should've learned from this impeachment is that the right will not give a loving inch even if it's obvious they're criminals. Any attempt at "bipartisanship" is just giving in to criminals.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SubG posted:

Grassley currently mumbling his way through a grand show of incredulity about the very idea of evaluating intent as a factor in evaluating conduct.

I mean come on, have you ever even SEEN intent? Are we supposed to believe some invisible magic thing makes people guilty of a crime?!? Preposterous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Popete posted:

I just saw a Facebook post from an old high school classmate that said "Why can't Trump fire Pelosi? If any of us acted like she did to her boss we'd lose our jobs!", all the comments were in agreement with her.

So yeah, that's the kind of dumb we are dealing with in the electorate.

Leave Facebook and never go back, it's irredeemable.