Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
hello from the newspaper comics megathread! im still catching up on this thread (currently on page 1280) but i felt this was appropriate to crosspost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
okay i have finished catching up on this thread from somewhere back in 2019 (so many posts...) and i want to say thank you to everyone for posting but especially thank you to Kith, Cartoon Man, and ekuNNN for consistently bringing tons of content

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nenonen posted:

In the 20th century we made massive dumps full of all types of resources that we didn't consider worthy recycling back then, I wonder if we will start digging into those soon. Metals, textile fibres, plastic etc. Presumably this has been studied.

this is in fact one of the plot points of the 1994 newberry honoree The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm, where a group of children are kidnapped and forced to work in the plastic mines (old trash dumps)

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Unperson_47 posted:

I know someone's just going to say, "He's fine; that's a masonry blade that won't cut flesh," but still why

the solid wheel blades are fine

this ghosting shows it is not a solid wheel blade

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

PhazonLink posted:

I like the vocab term " injury incompatible with life."

I think I heard it from a water park raft ride incident.

wasnt the water raft one the incident with 'masticated'?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

as a person who used to do masonry work, gods this is so horrifying

silicosis is no joke! brick tongs would make this go so much faster for so much less strain WITHOUT forcing them to shower themselves in asbestos jr and thats not even getting into the open toed footwear ! no respirators, and while yes they do clearly have head protection thats for sure not an ansi rated setup they got going ! none of this is good or okay !!!! aaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Mister Speaker posted:

He doesn't really explain why it explodes so violently though? Isn't it because there's air trapped in between the 'pages' (are they Post-It notes?), same reason some bound novels he crushed exploded in a similar way?

its a localised fusion reaction; as the air gets compressed out of the space, paper molecules get closer and closer until finally they get squished into a cardstock molecule which releases a TON of energy as an explosion

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMVs1v1Atyw

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Fauxshiz posted:

aww man the worms die?

for the vast majority of silk manufacture, yeah; unfortunately its the way to ensure the absolute best quality and quantity of silk as it enormously degrades over the week and a half of metamorphosis and emergence :(

good news though! ahimsa silk is a thing, which just treats the massive (80%+) material loss as simply the cost of moral action

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ilmucche posted:

Is it a horror game? It always struck me as a horror game beyond "this place is OSHA as gently caress"

it is horror inasmuch as many of the incidental non-story things you see very likely are occurring where you live because there has been almost zero investment in infrastructure upkeep for half a century

but there are no personal threats, the danger and horror is systemic

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah this is why if you're wearing latex gloves and dip your gloved hand in water, you'll feel like your hand is wet, bc enough of the sensations (pressure, movement, probably temperature) that indicate 'wet' usually still transmit. There's no distinct sense of 'wet' it's just a contextual combination of everything else. I think that's neat!

to drill down on this even more, your fingertips still get wrinkled in the gloves even though they are dry because the wrinkling is a nervous system response and not the water per se - certain types of nerve damage stop the reaction entirely even with hours of direct submersion

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Archonex posted:

So i'm wondering, how the hell did this guy make explosive salsa and what did he put in it to screw it up that badly?

like with storebought chips and dip or hotdogs and buns, its a simple matter of the chloride running out before the sodium

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

wesleywillis posted:

Alright egghead, explain that poo poo.
Like these birds, chickens, sparrows, hawks, ostriches etc weren't actually living during the dinosaur age. There were probably other birds (as we know them to be today) living then, but are they all dead now? Are there still some bird species that lived during dinosaur times that are still around?

I know there are some fish that currently exist that were also living during the dinosaur times, like Bowfin, and Gar. People alwas call them "dinosaurs" because they were around back then. Are they not considered actually dinosaurs because they're fish, and don't breathe air with lungs?

okay so the thing is YES there were other birds living before the K-T extinction event and all modern birds are directly descended from the survivors, which you already knew

'dinosaur' can in common usage mean 'alive at the time of the dinosaurs or otherwise prehistoric' but as a scientific term specifically it refers to the creatures and their descendents of clade dinosauria, the majority of which are ornithischian (bird-hipped, gallimimus and pachycephalosaurus, all extinct), sauropod/saurischian (lizard-footed/hipped, brontosaurus and ankylosaurus, all extinct) and theropods (beast-footed, velociraptor and tyrannosaurus rex, mostly extinct); all birds are descended from theropods, and are thus cladistically dinosaurs; from the fossil record there are about three dozen basal species of what we would call birds well-represented but the vast majority of modern birds look way different so,

it sounds like the question you are asking is 'are there birds alive today that are not appreciably different from a more basal ancestor who existed prior to the asteroid, a la the coelocanth', and the answer to my great delight is YES!!!

the Hoatzin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43555660@N00/5479759823/

the hoatzin is native to the amazon and orinoco river basin and the fossil record for them suggests they are the final survivor of their order - they are theropods of class aves but thats as close as they are related to any other bird; while it does suggest there have been some general morphological variation by and large this is the same format that it used to be

these birds hatch with claws on their forelimbs, because their primary nest defensive strategy is to roost about twenty feet up in a branch hanging out over the water and just jump out into the river below if anything comes near, then swim back to the tree and climb all the way back up to the nest

they are capable of fully-independent quadrupedal motion which NO other living bird can do because all of them invented synchronized flapping; when other birds swim they are limited to butterfly stroke technique while the hoatzin chick freestyles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uz_-_FE3UU

their diet is almost entirely comprised of leafs, which again pretty much totally unique; florivory (the eating of flowers and their products i.e seeds and fruits) is very very common but obligate folivory (only leafs as food) is as far as i am aware totally unique among birds to hoatzin - because leafs are nutritionally garbage and difficult to digest, hoatzin have an oversized crop which acts as a fermentation predigester, much like how cows have multiple stomachs; however, the microbiome that helps with the fermentation also make the birds smell awful, giving rise to common names of stink bird and poo poo pheasant

this is in fact a benefit on multiple fronts, because it makes them severely unappetizing targets except in dire need, which is great because the crop is so dramatically oversized that it actively displaces muscles that would otherwise be used for flight, which in conjunction with the independent limbs means they are extremely clumsy fliers and so cannot easily escape predation (hence their 'jump into the river and swim away' strategy)

they are my favourite bird, and while not as directly unchanged as the coelocanth is still pretty drat close to archaeopteryx

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

PurpleXVI posted:

Well that is incredibly nightmarish. Feel free to never share anything like that ever again. Please.

genuinely could we ask for spoiler tags for descriptions of gore and snuff

like if you could reasonably expect it to be an accurate alt-id tag, its good enough to get the picture, and if the picture would be spoiler tagged anyway....

edit: vvv nothing stopping you from adding your own spoiler tags to the snuff/gore; like im not saying dont post im saying post mindfully vvv

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 25, 2023

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sagebrush posted:

frogs are basically just digestive systems with legs.

its the A-10 design philosophy - you start with a bigass rotary autocannon mouth and you strap a couple of turbofan engines beefy legs to it et voila !

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

this is not very typical! normally the front doesnt fall off

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

haveblue posted:

There’s got to be a better way to do that

Also what happened to the wall core sample I was expecting to be inside it at the end?

seconds 40-52 cover them removing it; its why he struggles for a minute and thuds the end to the ground - you can see the cylinder behind the red thing when he lifts the drill up again

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

nodded along to the end and only then noticed the username

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

mustard_tiger posted:

The pilot was the CEO.

theyre probably conflating pilot with guide - there was an elderly french diving and titanic expert on board who is on the record as saying

"Paul Henri Nargeolet posted:

“If you are 11m or 11km down, if something bad happens, the result is the same,” the 73-year-old former French Naval Captain says, chuckling merrily. “When you’re in very deep water, you’re dead before you realise that something is happening, so it’s just not a problem.”

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

CainFortea posted:

Also apparently it was with resin bought from boeing because it was past it's "best by" date and boeing wasn't gonna use it anymore.

please tell me you have a source for this

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

not how i would have gone about making a bridge but sure

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

its so hosed up thats ultimately a somethingawful song

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

the diggy diggy hole song is by the yogscast, which started as a podcast for the european branch of the somethingawful world of warcraft guild - Ye Olde Goone Squade

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Space Kablooey posted:

i think the yogscast had basically nothing to do with SA at that point though

yeah thats why i said ultimately and not immediately - the catchphrase itself was from very very early in when the minecraft stuff was a fun little foray into youtube storytelling with some other guildmates after doing a bunch of raid tutorials so the roots are right in there

on the other hand you're right - it is just as accurate to say it's a disney song because they were owned by maker studios at the time of its release

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
(fixed the post formatting so it displays)

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Jabor posted:

Riding into an obstacle without even slowing down because you didn't see the obstacle at all is not really correlated with going too fast. You can totally be riding at a speed that allows you to stop in plenty of time if you see an obstacle in front of you and still hit an obstacle that you literally don't see at all.

Hell, smacking into an obstacle that you didn't notice happens even at walking speeds when people are distracted or the obstacle is hard to see! And it's very funny when caught on camera.

exactly this - you can even hear the brakes on a bike screaming before one of the impacts so it very much seems an 'oh poo poo i didnt see that barrier', and one of the others remains stunned still in cycling position after landing on the ground which strongly supports they have no idea what just happened

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the gimmick comes from 10 years in socal imprinting the word "dude" in my head indelibly, then me deciding to figure out a way to make it nongendered. hence peep. "dude" is nongendered in socal itself, but not in, say, singapore or germany

youre good peeps

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
wait why dont europe use the bosch ones? arent they better anyway? why would they want the inferior american sawstop?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
wow sounds like theyd make a lot of money by expanding that technology and maybe licensing it out to manufacturers who do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Kith posted:

maybe this is all they needed to keep the goon zipline from killing kids

https://i.imgur.com/lWiDE8M.mp4

correct! if the ripline had been constructed with a landing platform on top of a tower on top of another hill it would have been safer