Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Shooting a nuke out of a cannon is pretty Osha.https://youtu.be/XT5jo7aZzTw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Quote is not edit!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drat real life ranchers are bad rear end

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Unperson_47 posted:

People like this are so loving dumb.

I mean could be worse

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/atbWKEE.mp4

Do they close the stage if the guardrail gets hosed up badly enough? At some point it has to be too dangerous even for rally, right.

Is this Pikes Peak?
When this happens on the regular highways in Colorado. They shut the highway until some sort of barrier can be put in place temporarily. The crew will come out and fix the guardrail at some point later that same week.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

By popular demand posted:

I wonder how many idiots try to get the thing to wrap them tightly.

Only Roy Orbison?
Looking back I can't believe kid didn't sue the company but back when I worked at uhaul we cling wrapped a this rear end in a top hat dude to a light pole like 3 feet off the ground and left him there for an hour.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Not really OSHA except the fact this man went back to work as a fire fighter after not sleeping for 2 days and beating a horse in a marathon. Some crazy poo poo.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-61773202
Man v horse: Powys race won by runner Ricky Lightfoot
By James McCarthy
BBC News

Trail runner Ricky Lightfoot became only the third person to win the race since it started in 1980.

He told the BBC he had woken at 06:00 BST on Friday before catching a flight to Manchester at midnight.

Landing at 04:00 he travelled to Wales, arriving at Llanwrtyd Wells, Powys, at 09:00 for the race start at 11:00.

Crossing the line, the 6ft 4in (1.93m) athlete had no idea whether he had won as the people and animals take slightly different routes.

After asking around, he discovered he had come out on top against 1,000 runners and 50 horses with a time of 2:22:23.

He took home 3,500 after beating the first horse by more than two minutes on the 22.5-mile (36km) course.

The 37-year-old Cumbrian said winning was "pretty good, like".

"It's great to win the event and beat the horse," he said.

"I called my partner and said: 'I beat the horse'. And she said: 'You're joking?'.

"And I said: 'No, I did.' She was like, 'oh my God!'"

The firefighter said he had been quietly confident.

"I thought I could give the horse a good race," he explained.

Since his win, he has been asked if he will enter the Grand National next.

"It would be great if I could win the Grand National," he said.

"I've never rode a horse in my life. I once rode a donkey at Blackpool Pleasure Beach though."

After winning, the father of two then made his way home to Maryport, in Cumbria, as he had to be back in work at 07:30 on Sunday.

Race director Mike Thomas said Mr Lightfoot, a member of Cumbria running club Ellenborough AC, beat the horses "quite comfortably" on Saturday.

The last time a human beat a horse in the race was in 2007, and the first time was in 2004.

The jackpot prize for a runner who beats the first horse and rider starts at 500 and increases by 500 each year the event takes place until it is won.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 13, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Scratch Monkey posted:

No consequences for an airplane running into a cable?!

A wing hit no. Recall when a us military jet cut the cable on a 20 person cable car. I assume that cable was think af. Cable car fell and every one died sadly but the jet returned to base with minor damage.
https://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/04/world/20-die-in-italy-as-us-jet-cuts-a-ski-lift-cable.html

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wistful of Dollars posted:

that thing is psychotic

It's prolly the most sketchy one ive seen and I've seen a lot.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

This happened to a guy on a winter highway in Minnesota or something. His driveshaft on his truck fell off and he reattached it. And threw his wrenches and all the tools from under the truck in order to leave. Before realizing his head was caught trapped by the drive shaft and exhaust. People kept driving by him seeing his feet sticking out from under the truck thinking oh its just some dude working on his truck and he froze to death.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 12, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

This was in steamboat co. Mating season no joke

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Good thing they have it on video; hard to explain to the insurance company without it.

"I'm sorry? What happened to it?"
"Just...just watch the video."

Having worked at a body shop I've the results from bears getting into cars and the damage is impressive. Insurance absolutly covers it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wonder if the owners had a trashbag or two of gasoline in the back.

Plastic gas tank melted

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Lol rookie mistake you can see right where the bead is not set and never wanna have your face anywhere near there or you get "the money shot" also he's using waaaay too much tire lube.
When bored we used to gently caress around and put poo poo on the tire right at that spot and when it pops you can launch tire weights or whatever 30 feet into the air. Good times.

On the subject of robots when I worked at a cafe located within a hospital we would take the trash down to a room in specific trash totes (Bio waste. Regular waste, and recycling) and robots would pick them up and take them down a long hallway. Then 10 min later would return with the totes empty. The janitors had a make shift break room down there and would be chilling talking poo poo waiting for their tote to return. All of them were funny as poo poo and i loved talking to them. The cool part was on busy days the robots would get bunched up and delayed and you chilled down there milking the clock for up to half an hour at times not doing poo poo.

Only place I worked at where you got excited to take the trash out.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 24, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Must be the new guy.

Tire shop mechanics thrive on pranks. It's the only way to tolerate the poo poo pay and customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1ZUoaG1LI

This. Especially busting tires is super tedious. Gotta do something to pass time.
You gotta have thick skin to work as a green tech.
Tho pranks are usually signs of endearment and acceptance.
I'd worry more if nobody picked on or hosed with you. That means legit people don't like u.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I usually go to Discount Tire, and the techs in the 4 joined bays always have music just blasting incredibly loud and singing along really loud and constantly in motion, but not all of them really doing anything. It gave me the impression that despite the physical labor, it must be a really boring job.

Discount is very specific in how they do things. They have it to a science which is why they are the monster they have become. They are all about efficiency so im sure everyone has a specific task and they have 4 guys to a car. I busted tires at a sears auto center and that was run on with a very loose 80s mentality. (Which is why they arnt around anymore) We had way more fun than thoes guys can dream about.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's the only tire shop I've used in the past 10 years or so, and they've been very consistent. I imagine management is really rigorous about appearances, but everyone I've seen working there seems pretty content. For a while I wrote them off as the Jiffy Lube of tire places, and I guess they kind of are, but the one time they messed up (cross-threaded a nut), they paid for it to be fixed 8 months later when I found the problem. Fast, efficient, etc. I'd like to think that kind of operation and customer service follows with well-treated employees, but don't know for sure.

They pride themselves in their hire from within corporate structure and everyone starts as a tire tech. Jump through their hoops for a while and they make u store manager making drat near six figures. District mangers and the higher ups in corporate make a poo poo ton of money. Discount tire just bought tire rack to give you a sense of scale. It's one of the few companies that still exist I can think of where if u put in your time and kiss the right amount of rear end you can go from starting wage to very decent living wage within 10 years or less.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 24, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cat Hatter posted:

How accurate is Maximum Overdrive about truck stop life? Related, how do you think your former coworkers would do if all the machines came to life and started murdering?

I have a hippy nomadic friend who's been traveling around wookin it for like 7 years and he landed at a truck stop where he gets treated suoer well and loves it. If a truck stop can be a good home to a anti establishment hippy dude then I reckon they are doing a few things right

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Class photo from bottom of a pool.
They are of course professional divers.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wifi Toilet posted:

Did the law firm sponsor this crash for viral advertising, or am I just too cynical?

Also lol that such a low speed crash triggered the air bags and that the air bags going off shatter the windshield by design apparently.

Passenger side air bags will always break the front glass. They are designed to bounce off it and then toward the passenger. It's why most cars have sensors in the passenger seat that detect if someone is there or not and of not in the event of a crash won't deploy the air bag. I'm assuming she had a bag or something on the seat that triggered it. Hard to say.

I've worked in a body shop that does ferraris and that's probably 30 to 40k worth of damage.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 29, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Uthor posted:

Yeah, not going to click that.

I wish I didnt

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Alkydere posted:

The way they're going so slow suggests to me that those longass tubes are either heavy/expensive and the company doesn't want to get in trouble
OR
it's a collective action thing where the workers are working as slow as possible to piss off the boss.

That's the look of someone who got hosed into working a double when someone didn't show up.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Someone tweet this to Jeremy clarkson

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Here is james may trying to difuse a "practice bomb" which still had a small charge.
https://youtu.be/nnQ_pS4T0vI

even james may fucks it up

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 17, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mozi posted:

just hit it with a hammer to begin with and save yourself the the effort

I'd like to think these guys were just set up to fail. "We need u two to go pick up a clay jug, should be easy. take the scooter."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

mischief posted:

Those are a whole entirely different plane of stinging thing hell than even hornets or wasps. We've always gone out of our way to relocate actual honey bees but yellow jackets can suck my balls from the back.

Car got towed into our shop. Been sitting a while wouldn't turn over. I put a booster on it and started it up as the same time as lowering the windows as it was middle of summer and the car was nuclear hot inside. Upon shifting into reverse the car jolted and a million (ok like 20) yellow jackets flew from behind the drivers side rear view mirror glass directly into the cabin and began to sting the poo poo out of me as I was backing out of the parking spot. Good times.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Can't think of anything more American than driving across the dusty flat plains for as much as days to see some totalled relics in a sink hole. They better sell hotdogs that absolutely slap there.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Whatever happened to thoes crazy microwave kids from Ukraine circa 2014

Edit: kreosan
https://youtu.be/H1gBinKRqqY

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 28, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Vlaphor posted:

Bears love getting lit.

Soviets used ethanol in their jets as coolant and everyone got hammered off the booze to the point where the all the wives wrote in to the higher brass and pleaded that they figure out something else to use. And the response they got was "if our aircraft would happen to require running off the best french cognac then that's what we are going to use" eventually it got so out of hand there were giant black markets established and everyone was permanently slapped so they ended up figuring out a different coolant to use. Pretty sure people drank even that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

DreadUnknown posted:

Ahhh thats how the ski resort I worked at did it, every morning in the winter getting woken up by explosions.

A bunch of them don't explode apparently and they have to go find them in the spring time.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

During covid all the restaurants were carry out only so at lunch time me and about 50 contractors would be eating our various lunches In our cars/worktrucks/workvans would sit in the strip mall parking lot and the crows quickly figured it out so there would be a million of them running around trying to get some food as we were all bored and found it entertaining to throw bits of bread and poo poo our to them and watch them squabble. I befriended this big bastard and would give him large chunks in hopes he would do the classic crow thing and bring me a silver ring as they are known to do. But alas to no avail. Crows are fuckimg heart breakers for real.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ChesterJT posted:

I assume at some point the'll get enough water in them and they'll sink right? Honestly I figured they'd sink right to the bottom with no delay.

In theory they are supposed to be water tight from like weather. I'm not sure about them in an ocean although I've seen people in fishing boats cut through ones they found floating and grabbing goods out of them

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 8, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CommieGIR posted:

He actually makes most of his music, so its not like he's just a DJ.

Super annoying host but he tours dudes studio and its stupid. And this videos 5 years old.
https://youtu.be/dBiqFNNfudA

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

22.5s are easy. Try 19.5.

Also get a moisture trap in them air lines Jesus.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Antigravitas posted:

I don't really know where to post this, but I think there are enough mechanics enjoyers here to appreciate it.

Titled My BiTurbo Diesel after the timing belt broke at 160km/h

Holy poo poo bet that made a cool noise

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tow driver at my shop returned from picking up a wreck like this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Uthor posted:

Can god make a big enough tow truck to tow a tow truck?

We got a few of the big boys like this.

Can pull a fully loaded semi 80k pounds up a mountain in the snow no problem.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

The dolphins are whatever but to me the Osha is that this ship is absolutely smashing sound barriers next to a light house. That looks like 40 knots easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cat Hatter posted:

Absolutely not. This isn't even the first time it's happened. There was a guy who almost got sucked into a military jet quite a while back who got really lucky the intake was only a bit bigger than his body so he wedged in long enough for his helmet to come off and destroy the engine. A commercial jet with exposed blades the size of a man though? Full cartoon.

Someone either here or in the ai plane thread once posted a link to a faa full accident report of a ground crew being ingested by a commercial airliner complete with pictures and I regret clicking it to this day.