Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I typed "repair FRP" into YouTube and this was the very first hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UMKbOQn3k4

Sandals, no PPE to speak of, straight huffing a visible plume of microscopic glass shards into the lungs with a psychedelic 70's jam band going.

I looked it up, and OSHA says fiberglass dust is much less bad as asbestos:

https://www.safetymanualosha.com/is-fiberglass-a-health-hazard/

quote:

Because fiberglass breaks across the fiber to form tiny fragments, the tissue response is very different when these particles are inhaled. When fiberglass fragments are inhaled and deposited in the small air sacs of the lung, the alveoli do not close up and trap the particles. The particles are expelled from the alveoli and there is a rapid clearance of fiberglass dust particles from the lungs.

Carry on then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thomawesome posted:

There was one year in Tampa where like, 4 wrong way driving incidents in a couple of months. It is one of the most bonkers place to drive.

Another headline from that same website:

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/polk-county-landfill-employee-killed-in-tragic-accident

Worker crushed to death inside a porta-potty... literally rest in piss

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've had a bunch of fun screwing around with a giant pvc potato gun my brother made, I never knew there was any particular structural danger :sweatdrop:

Yeah as a kid, the older kids taught me how you don't wanna use PVC as it is brittle, and even more so in cold weather. You had to go to Home Depot and buy ABS (an acronym for All Black Stuff, I was told, because HD sold the ABS pipe in black instead of the white PVC). I haven't seen the Home Depots carry ABS pipe in decades though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

that anti homless people sleeping on benches thing seems rather inoffensive compared to other stuff.

Is that anti-homeless design though? There's no dividers in the middle and if a single person slept on it, it seems like it could be twice as comfy as a normal bench, what with the gentle rocking.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jSTJKQx.mp4

Comments say the one use stopper costs $103, and that this guy did literally everything wrong and shouldn't be near a shop.

I bought one of those SawStops from Craigslist for $800 in mint condition and it came with like 5 of those stoppers... I haven't blown one yet but I'm a scatterbrain so I'm glad I have em.

On top of the digit protection, it's just a really nice and accurate feeling table saw with some good features.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Impossible. There is no technology on the planet that can stop a blade like that dead in microseconds without damaging or destroying some part of the system. It's like saying "maybe someday they'll invent an airbag that can just be deflated and reused instead of having to be totally replaced."

The stopping and retraction are not separate processes either. In the SawStop system, the brake cartridge is released into the bottom of the blade, that jams it and brings it to a halt, and the blade's inertia swings it down under the table and locks it in place.

Yeah the airbag analogy is especially appropriate because it uses the same kind of pyrotechnic to stop the blade.

If you tried to preserve the blade by dropping it downwards at pyrotechnic speeds, it would probably break apart and turn the sawblade into a weapon from Unreal Tournament.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Can't wait until he steps too close, his tie gets caught & pops his stupid head off like a wine cork

Don't worry, it's Australia, they can only work clip-on ties.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Goddamn that hurts to watch

I showed a friend that my gym had one of those tractor tires that you hit with a sledgehammer, and they immediately did this exact move.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1507335633005649920?s=21&t=7q9LrXnQx7Wrk135LCScqg

It's the world's tallest drop tower ride. It just opened a few months ago.

:nms: There is a video. Do not go looking for it. :nms:

No point doing safety checks on the rides either; the safety checks kill you too: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/09/14/worker-falls-to-his-death-from-starflyer-attraction-in-orlando/

Same park.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Depends how you're framing it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hJ8RC7m.mp4

This looks like a fun thing to do…
:stare:

Did anyone watch the Catch-22 miniseries?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

`Nemesis posted:

I'd guess CNG

A battery would weigh too much to put that high up in a vehicle IMO

Yeah you beat me to it, CNG is much more common in buses. That looks like a sustained high-pressure stream. I'm wondering what on each could have ruptured the tank though, they're usually made from wrapped carbon fiber and can stop bullets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irvktfQvu4M&t=62s

Maybe a valve failed or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jetz0r posted:

Seeing those jets means it's time to GTFO, cause there still might be an explosion, and those are your warning.

Oh awesome. Whoever was filming that probably should have been booking it, that much I'm sure of. Was nice of them to get the footage for us though.

Kenning posted:

Good to see he's wearing his safety sandals.

I tried to find footage of any factory in India without sandals as the dress code and I absolutely couldn't.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Id be more worried about what happens next now that he’s in the water still next to that fucker.

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/killer-swan-blamed-for-mans-drowning

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that Dunkey posted this video last week... many powerful OSHA moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qphzma9v7hk&t=12s

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tangentially OSHA, I got hit by a car while biking to work (completely their fault) and landed on my wrists, and after that I got super bad carpal tunnel while playing videogames, especially when having to push in the thumb stick. I got that controller so that I could remap the thumb stick buttons to my ring fingers and it's a thousand times less strain.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

McCracAttack posted:

Deep down in a part of me I'm ashamed to admit to I was impressed by this.

That's dedication, to prewire the car to be able to wink.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Humphreys posted:

The future is NOW!

I'm loving impressed that's all it took to give someone a literal flying skateboard. How skinny was that pilot?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Review on a NEMA 5-15P – NEMA 5-15P cord:

What even would be a time that is needed? The only thing I can think of is if you were crazed enough to backfeed your house in an outage using a portable generator, and even that adds huge amount of danger such as for lineworkers who think power is cut.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Something like that happened a decade ago where a women walked into the airplane prop and lived, with a missing eye and her face hosed up. It's almost like there should be some kind of interlock to keep passengers inside until the propeller RPM is 0.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lauren-scruggs-model-plane-propeller_n_1382613

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jusupov posted:

Finnish tabloid paper shows a video of tesla automatically braking and saving a childs life.

Every time I stop my car for children in the crosswalk I'm going to shout out the window that I just saved their lives.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rotacixe posted:

Looks like their AI replicated BMW driver behavior too well.

I'd say not well enough if it doesn't kill at least 50 pedestrians/cyclists on the reg.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You goons are gonna love this poo poo.

I had a new painter referred to me yesterday. He says "hey, these floors are all messed up, we can sand and varnish them for you for $1000". Sounds good I say. I come back when they're done, and I see they have an industrial floor sanding machine that is 220v. Except, I know for a fact there are no 220v outlets in the entire building. "Did you run an extension to a portable generator or something?" He says no, he ran an extension 300ft to the basement. "But the basement doesn't have 220v either". He says yeah, I have a special cable. I had to go check this out:

I am in awe of how dangerous, illegal, and dangerously illegal that was.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

What you're supposed to do is get one of those double header 220v cords that you plug into the wall on two different circuits with different phases. They sell those on Amazon for charging your car and rubbing your dryer and it's even slightly better build quality than that thing.

I actually did tell him about that, though we'd need to ask a neighbor in another apt. My apartment has one single 15a breaker for the ENTIRE apartment. It's only 500sqft but still, I need to see how much it would be to have it upgraded, running wiring through a 120yr old brick complex.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fumble posted:

edit, i would be more worried about the blade going "ping" and becomeing the ultimate ninja star

The one-two combo of taking the guard off the grinder, and no safety glasses

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
When I was in the military any liquid besides water had an MSDS attached to the container. That's where I learned that Simple Green detergent is like super-safe, you can get it in your eyes, you can sip some, pretty much anything:

https://cdn.simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf

Also dirt cheap at Home Depot. Nice if you want to give it to kids to clean the house with and not worry about toxicity.

edit: And reading that MSDS more closely I now learned the weird fragrance it has is sassafras.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I usually spend my time looking for trump stickers to peel off. I'm sure they'll ramp up again soon.

There's "I did this" stickers with Putin on them which seems like a decent troll.

When I'm pumping gas I find a squeegee on the island and clean my windows properly, station owners are so lazy and cheap they've been letting the buckets dry out recently though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'd like to know how it propels itself. If it's electric, what's the presumed range? Can it drive itself to a charger or would I need to hitch mount a genset to my car and run a drop cord? Does it run off a Yaris engine and fuel tank?

Also how does it handle steep grades?

On top of every one of those concerns, the weight distribution of trailers tends to assume some will be on the axle and some on the tongue, but that hitch thing even with a motor in it wouldn't have enough weight on it or stability during an emergency braking situation.

Sigma posted:

It would be even easier to send data to the mini trailer with some sort of wire, cable, or hitch

Yeah, cars with drive-by-wire can update their wheel RPM, angle, traction etc. thousands of times per second. It would be nice if there was a standard that would let you pick another vehicle to convoy with, like if your friends and you were taking multiple cars somewhere.

Whenever I drive down the highway in an electric car I'm always thinking "it would be dope if there was some standard that would let me reliably tailgate that 18-wheeler for the next 100 miles", because it would use essentially no electricity at all while traveling in their slipstream from a few feet away. Probably not in my lifetime since 18-wheelers seem to have some cloaking technology that makes Teslas keep slamming into them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 20, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

lol if your trailer is dead weight

What is that, an EV range extender? Sadly this one was vaporware, would have bolted to an EV smart car to make it an extended range pickup truck:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

They still sell the same model.

What is that composite? Bakelite and fiberglass?

HolHorsejob posted:

Probably half the price of each beer is delivery cost

Stupid question, is there some kind of concentrated beer? Not liquor, just something like beer with a higher carbonation and alcohol content, that you could then add water to and have it taste like a normal beer? Seems with all these helicopter and drone deliveries I'm seeing, it could help the logistics.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 26, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
This was in the Ukraine thread (someone in Russia doing this apparently) but I'm absolutely stealing it for the OSHA thread:

https://i.imgur.com/AQDoJlU.mp4

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 26, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a lithium-powered angle grinder too. I call it "the key to the city"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Toupee Groupie posted:

I am not a metallurgist, but I take it that this is not rebar you would really want to use, due to the cheap methods used to manufacture it? I can't imagine that this is pure iron.

At the end they put labels on them that say "G-40-60", which I believe means they tested the tensile strength yield to be between Grade 40ksi and 60ksi. I think if they mix all of it in a big enough vat and use a testing machine to yank on bars of the finished product they should be able to get in that range enough. But I'm not a pro either, just a guess. To slap them into rebar in whatever county they're in is probably "good enough", it's not like they're claiming aerospace grade or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BrianRx posted:

Oof, this brought back a memory I buried. Some guys at work were unloading ewaste from a box truck and a fully loaded server rack about that size started rolling off the lift. One of the guys instinctively moved to stop or catch it and got squashed between it and the burning hot summer pavement. Luckily (for him at that point, anyway) it fell on the lower half of his body and broke his legs rather than crushing any organs so he survived. His backside was covered in 3rd degree burns (some under his clothes) because of the time he was in contact with the pavement.

Understandably, he made a lot of noise until the paramedics got him in an ambulance. Less understandably, we were told to go back to work before they got there and could hear him screaming outside while we did our stupid lovely minimum wage jobs.

Instinctively moved to stop/catch a server rack? What the hell instinct is that, because it's not a survival instinct. One time a buddy and me had to move like a $100k server rack for our job and it slipped so we both noped out of the way to bail and watched it go down a steel staircase and warp every step on the way down. Our instinct was to look around to make sure no one saw, then we finished moving it and slotted it into the datacenter and no one was the wiser. Military grade, EMP-hardened radio equipment is pretty drat resilient!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

By popular demand posted:

Are they giving nuclear reactor stomach implants now? I'm never going to make the first round of applications by now.:smithcloud:

Did you know, as of 2007 there were still nuclear-powered pacemakers in use? But they stopped making them thanks to uncool safety dorks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

https://www.medicaldesignandoutsourcing.com/medtech-memoirs-the-plutonium-powered-pacemaker/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 1, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an OSHA question, does anyone know of a steel or composite safety toe insert or add-on for boots that won't make me look too dorky or like a cyborg? I got a second pair of some boots I like off eBay but I didn't catch that it's an identical model but without the steel toe my current pair has.

I'm seeing stuff like this that's listed as an "insert" but clearly goes on the outside: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175394793248

Something like that in an actual insert form would be nice. I wouldn't be adverse to some DIY trick like peeling off the rubber on those, if I could know for a fact they'd fit inside afterwards.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

I imagine most use cases for steel-toed shoes include the requirement of being able to tell at a glance that someone is wearing them without making them take off their boots to prove they have the Toe Retaining DLC installed today

I'm in this situation because my steel toe boots and this pair without them I got from eBay are otherwise 100% visually identical.

If you got both pairs you could totally bamboozle your employer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I was just reading up on flameless ration heaters (packaging says to leave them sealed if you take them on a plane) and saw a choice safety diagram on Wikipedia:

quote:

The instructions advise that the heater should rest against a "rock or something"

I can see why they have restrictions on airline travel, they use similar physics to a shorted battery in order to produce the heat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flameless_ration_heater

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 3, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sammus posted:

That ration looks dope as gently caress. Chocolate, instant noodles, and booze. It’s just like college!

I just wish the radioactive heater was real, I would absolutely buy one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Adding a point for casually walking away from the explosion

Removing a point for turning around to look at it