Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

Video evidence is weird. You almost always either need an admission "yeah that's me in the video", a witness "yes, I was there and I did a formal, court-approved identification procedure and that's him in the video" or absolutely picture-perfect quality where a jury is sure that's the defendant in the video and other independent evidence that the act took place.

I was on a jury for a murder trial last year that involved a lot of neighborhood surveillance cameras and cop bodycam footage. The surveillance camera footage was several hours-long videos with only a few minutes of each that were relevant (the rest just boring neighborhood stuff) and the bodycam footage had only a few minutes that we were allowed to watch*. In order for it to be reviewed in the jury room they had to bring in the DVDs and a bailiff to stop and start the DVD player at the right times. Someone on the jury asked the judge if there was a better way to handle this, and apparently editing everything down to the few minutes of admissible video wasn't an option since the DVDs were burned from the cameras using approved software so they were the only official copy that could be used.

*Turns out the reason that only a few minutes of the bodycams were admissible is because most of the rest consisted of a shitload of bystanders telling the police "it was [defendent], I see him around here all of the time and he is definitely the one who shot up the neighborhood and murdered that guy," but they all refused to come in to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
in re: hard hats + stickers

I've been told that the problem H&S people have with excessive stickers is that they can hide cracks or other damage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Have your coworkers flirted with the danger of diesel exhaust fluid?

I really like the “[activity] yielded ## emergency landings” language. I’m picturing middle management at the OSHA factory proudly submitting their report about how productivity increased 4% this quarter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/bust2nut/status/1181733188311425027

Two hands on hips = ah gently caress

Two hands on head = oh gently caress

When I watched the video I though to myself that there was probably a caveman who stood like that with his hands on his head after accidentally herding the last mastadon off of a cliff into the territory of his rivals.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Get ready to slide down through a 2 foot high shute into an abandoned mine with super janky supports eveywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xBv_mbbw64

loving hell this is bananas, why would anyone do this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

cross post from aviation thread, happened this morning

https://i.imgur.com/HhFooHH.mp4

note also the Quebec Drivers

I was so so hoping that as the camera approached the highway sign it would turn out to be the exit for the airport.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5gHJuNCh6Y

Mine collapse in the Phillipines. Money shot starts around 2:30, and don't leave until you see the reason that the dozer operator decides that it is time to GTFO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I like how they chip out a bunch of concrete before one of them realizes that they could also just lift the door up an inch or two.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

In regards to captains calling their crew pussies, here's a helicopter doing something good with toxic pilot masculinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z9HRC7hlU

I think this is the standard way for helicopters to deliver people to and from steep slopes. Google "helicopter toe in", or don't if helicopters make you nervous.

That particular slope is on the steeper side of what is usually done though. I'm told the trickiest part is not the actual landing, but that the pilot needs to immediately compensate for weight and balance changes as people hop in and out and move gear in and out, and there isn't much room for error.

edit: Though obviously if walking up to that spot from somewhere flatter is at all possible then that is preferable.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 26, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most inefficient guillotine I've ever seen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Swiss like building dangerous things that go across roads - airports, shooting ranges...

It requires perfect compliance with the rules regarding such things, which is no problem at all for the Swiss.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BlackIronHeart posted:

:stonk:

loving mayday indeed when a ship hull suddenly becomes a multi-point articulated ship hull.

Someone on the other end of the radio is probably like “you need to be more specific than ‘vessel is broken,’” and the captain is like “I cannot be any more precise.”

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

So they just build another bridge I guess?

Bridge is way easier to get permitted than the massive amount of earthwork required to fix it without a bridge.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is very unsettling.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, the way she looks like she's about to barf at one point and then appears to try to hide from the sun in the shadow of the sign suggests to me that she's just massively hungover/still smashed.

Yeah that is absolutely the body language of a construction worker with a world-record hangover. She's at least lucky she's off by herself instead of having to put up with her coworkers giving her poo poo nonstop all morning.

edit: Oh god please don't start gun chat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

But seriously, I hope that machine has an emergency stop

It stops automatically when the number of strapped-in employees exceeds two.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I think after the first bounce off the building he is like "gently caress it I'm going to have to quit anyway."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

I know we are laughing about that stuck ship, but…

Watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW4pG7Zu4vE

I don't want to spoilt it, and you probably don't need to understand German to get what it's about.

At around 0:31 Tobias Haack says "containerfuckler".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's that time of week again.

Bonus:

Yes, he's digging underneath his shed. In an unshored hole. Alone. At night.

Also, there's a huge 'crack' at the bottom of the hole, so he may well be digging into a cave.

At this point, I can only assume either the authorities don't have the internet, or Colin Furze is a secret mastermind who has totally hidden where he lives.

At the end of his bunker video he mentions that he got retroactive planning permission, which probably means he built it and then dared the local agency to make him tear it down.

I am literally a professional licensed deep-hole-worrier-abouter and this isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Based on the little bit of actual digging work they show here and in the bunker videos his house is on reasonably good rock a few feet down (they had to use a hoe-ram to dig and shape much of the hole for the bunker). I've seen scarier-looking excavation faces in actual professional excavation and tunneling jobs. I'm pretty sure these are being shot and edited to make it look more dangerous than it is, and to make the digging look a lot easier than it really is. I would probably be more worried about standing under those plastic tubs full of rock during the hoist operation than stability of the excavation.

Still have to see what he does for overhead support when they start mining the actual tunnel though, that will be a lot more questionable than the sides of this shaft.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't a cop killed in the firefight? In any case I meant it as a joke.

I'm not a hole worrier but in the latest shaft digging video he has some sort of steel frame and net supporting the walls, so I'm pretty sure he's not really suicidal.

Yeah he put that in when they got to the bottom, and it looked perfectly adequate based on my thorough youtube inspection. He tends to massively overengineer things when it comes to steel fabrication.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

Don’t walk under a suspended load gently caress

At least without a hard hat he didn't have to worry about any kind of long, painful recovery.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Learning from past mistakes is no way to meet this quarter’s performance goals, we will pencil that in next FY.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is a totally reasonable tunneling operation (aside notable absence of PPE), and his initial support looks pretty over-engineered to me. I would be way more worried about the janky plastic tubs being hoisted overhead to dispose of the spoil. He is also going to want some ventilation before he goes farther.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Even if he can pump water as it floods, there's still going to be rain leaching through the soil and making prolonged contact on that plating. The clay layer looks fairly saturated already. I wonder if he's thought this through!

I think he mentions in the bunker video that he is up on a hill and groundwater is very deep so he's not worried about flooding. It sounds like all this welded steel is temporary support and he plans on building a steel plate lining encased in concrete later. Like the bunker, I'm pretty sure he is getting some kind of informal geo/civil engineering advice off-camera and this whole thing is being shot and edited to make it look a lot more improvised than it really is.

Source: I design tunnels and other kinds of holes in the ground.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 10, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

my mechanics is the best channel on all of youtube.

This is objective truth. I even bought an excellent "I make a new one" coffee mug from him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BRB, designing my massive shelf system to only carry vertical loads. It is impossible that anyone could ever ding this structure with a forklift.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

you instantly know it's :australia: when someone isn't wearing shoes.

I usually check for work boots with shorts to confirm :australia:.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Ok science goons. how the gently caress does that work?

The amount of time away from oxygen is probably what matters, not the speed of the lid placement per se. The quicker first attempts don't allow time for all of the oxygen to be consumed. The last attempt takes longer (including the time he takes sliding the lid on and off) so the fire is actually smothered completely.

Moral of the story is just put the lid on and keep it there for a bit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I suppose slamming the lid down quickly on a shallow pan could spatter flaming oil, so covering it carefully is probably better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tribbledirigible posted:

Fuckled by his own petard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well his mortar gap probably can't grow any more.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The reaction of the guy who immediately kicked the door off suggests that he knew his store had a spicy freezer door and hadn’t bothered to fix it or warn anyone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds like the speed required for that exercise is a little higher than it used to be so as to not set off the stall alarm.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Girl Power

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

My french is rusty, does this say at the end "drivers can murder you any time they want, and they will get away with it".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

His reaction suggests that this is a workplace where homoerotic pranks are not unheard of.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How come my local recycling center doesn’t want dirty aluminum foil? (I put it in my recycling bin anyway)

Pest control.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Colin Furze demonstrate use of a tile saw in his latest video.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That attendant’s reaction was rock-steady, this must happen often.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The sex worker now has a waiting list four months long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it was the detection method that got them sued.