Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Supradog posted:

Is there a name for this "item"? I feel it should have a name?

It's a cat and it's hairball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

EPICAC posted:

Preventing your children from watching unauthorized television. A former coworker’s dad replaced the end of their television’s cord with a female connector, and had one of these that he used to control access to television.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: he could just as easily put a non-standard plug on there instead of making using an exposed conductor.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

A Unipart oil filter:

A Rolls-Royce aeroplane engine:

To quote Jeremy Clarkson 'How hard can it be?'

Boom, I got it. Hook up a tube to each side of the jet engine. One to get positive pressure, and one to get negative pressure, then valve those two tubes into one tube via a spinning disc and some check valves, so that the single tube is either sucking or blowing. There's your new ventilator. In fact, one engine should have enough power to do a full hospital's worth of ventilation. Put some in-line oil filters on there to reduce the taste of jet fuel and exhaust, and to block infectious spray.

A quick trip to the hardware store and you've got yourself a high speed ventilator for 400 people!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

According to the comments following the OP it turned out they have actual gas cans insider the Rubbermaid totes. Why they have gas cans in storage totes is still a mystery, though.

Easier to transport, traps some vapor, and protects your vehicle from small spills.

It went being an incredibly stupid idea (filling rubbermaid tubs with gas) to a smart idea.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I know I'm going to regret touching the poop, but why does the gun lobby hate bio safeties? Even in their "OH NO AN URBAN YOUTH HAS BROKEN INTO MY HOME TO RAPE MY DAUGHTER AND STEAL MY TV" fantasies it seems like a great idea to have a gun only you or an authorized user could shoot.
It's a metal gear joke....

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

:stare:

Nothing good can come from that.

I... want one...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

as a former US based amusement park ride operator i had to undergo more rigorous training and drug testing than the cops getting overtime for jacking off in the parking lot.

edit- it was one of those teacup spinning ride for parents and young children. you haven't heard of the park, it was extremely small and regional and closed down nearly 15 years ago when the married couple who owned it sold it to a landfill developer and lost their money trying to setup a swinger's resort in one of those waterless islands off the coast of florida drug runners have tiger fights on.

There's a lot of competition in the Floridian swinger resort space.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Has the LED revolution started to make any inroads into that field? I know in reef aquaria, LED lighting has all but completely replaced metal halide lighting, even for extreme intensity applications.

From my experience with concert and stage lighting, it's happening, but there's still a lot of hold outs. Every year I've been seeing more and more LEDs replacing old style light roles, along with some novel LED lights in new roles.

Stage lights aren't cheap, so existing lights aren't getting switched out unless there's a good reason. We're gonna be seeing the army of existing source 4s around in the theater forever, while some concerts are completely LED + moving light based. I haven't seen any LED based 4ks or followspots, that role of loving huge bright light is still exclusive to legacy systems in my experience. From my very limited movie experience, they're still ruled by older tech.

It's so much nicer to run power for LED systems. Lighter and fewer cables is easier on my back and arms.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Found these in the replies to that megaweld:

Freehand 3d printing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

So basically, never buy anything. Becuase cheap tools are a waste of time. a decent set of screwdrivers will last you forever if you treat them well, a cheap set will need replacing every 6 months as it turns out the lovely mild steel they made it all out of is softer than the wood screws you're using will tear our and leave your screwdrivers looking more like awls than tools.

Bonus though, at least allen keys then become a torque limited version, they simply twist off at a random torque, preventing overtightening!

There's times when you're only planning on using the tool for a weekend, or it's something that is innately disposable. Or you're poor and the lovely version is the only one you can afford while still paying rent.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I've been in the thread long enough to predict exactly what's going to happen here once I saw the first frame.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

They needed a beefier tow truck.

https://i.imgur.com/EbGjZZm.mp4

I am very impressed with that tow strap/chain. It does not look nearly big enough to handle dragging an empty semi, but it pulled it off!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Talkc posted:

What is the procedure, i have to ask, in an industrial accident, should one actually get molten aluminum on one's foot?

I'm asking for an Australian youtuber.

Edit: To be clear I am actually asking a real question, what happens when someone gets a molten metal injury, what's the treatment? How do they triage it? Its like this weird gap in my knowledge where i dont know much about skin treatment for stuff like adhesives or metals or really anything *stuck* to a person.

One of the thread's favorites poured some molten AL on a steak, and cooked a steak on molten tin. In some situations, molten metal is safer than other hot liquids like cooking oil. The higher temp means you get can get a brief safety period from the leidenfrost effect, and higher surface tension means the metal will tend to stick together instead of coating you. Any prolonged contact will absolutely gently caress you up, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwc2fDhuM4

Splashes from home foundries are probably just treated like burns. AL doesn't stick to skin like molten plastic. Small bits are going to form balls on or near the surface, larger chunks that form skins should be easy enough to pull off the burned skin underneath.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Serephina posted:

Thanks for the great stuff man. One dumb question from a layman: how much of a spark/flare-up hazard are those spills? I always thought that jet fuel was rather volatile stuff, but that's a pretty blasé attitude to loose fuel sitting underneath a fuel tank.

Jet engines are loving hungry and can burn drat near anything, so the main concern with jet is that it's cheap, but doesn't have enough tar, rocks, waxes, or other poo poo to clog up the fuel pump system. Basically the exact opposite of the popular conception of jet fuel as a high performance super flammable fuel.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

PPE question: is it normal for 3M 7093 filters to have a strong smell out of the box? I didn't notice anything similar with the pancake or gas+P100 filters.

Where did you order them from? Amazon is very sketchy on things like that now. If you ordered them from an industry supply site like Digikey, mcmaster-carr, etc, then it should be a legit 3M product.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

poo poo, what are the odds that this product is legit? Got it for covid protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088CQ2F1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_4d8TFbXPA1PTP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like a genuine DAERG brand filter, sold by the extremely reputable BMDDR.

Cojawfee posted:

Unless your mask has a filtered exhaust, please don't wear that for covid protection. Containing water droplets from your mouth is just as important as blocking droplets from other people.

I've got a filter on the exhaust, but most people can't even wear a mask correctly. I'm not going to expose myself all the maskless assholes, dick noses, chinstraps, sneeze guards, and suspended aersols because someone wants to tut-tut me for wearing an effective mask. There's no point in worrying about the communal aspect when 60% of the population isn't even attempting to participate in this group safety exercise.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/0p1EqVx.mp4
Posting on behalf of Cartoon Man, cut down before his time by senseless mod violence :rip:

A good exploration of the genre. Standard opening, a new twist that threatens established conventions, than a safe return to the expected and comforting ending.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Camera car missed his chance to make a turn in the shadow of that truck.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

You all have no sense of scale. There's no way to launch all the nuclear waste into space without devoting the entire world economy to rocket production, and sending a never ending stream of heavy launch vehicles into the sky. Chemical rockets are just awful for putting a lot of mass into space, you need something better, something that can lift huge amount of concrete blocks and water. You need nuclear pulse propulsion.

I mean, sure, it's a massive undertaking to build a 100,000 ton holding vessel on top of the largest shock absorbers ever built, on top of a launch pad made of high explosives. We'll also need a pile of tiny nukes, but the US could use some more manufacturing jobs. I guess we'll also need to throw that manufacturing plant into the ship once the bombs are completed. But then we'll finally be able to send all our high level nuclear waste to Jupiter on a string of a few hundred nuclear explosions.

Obligatory KSP video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwrLR2kv5KA

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Someone had a very disappointing day of explosive fishing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought that was gaffer tape for a sec and I was like hell yeah stage techs thin black line

the stagehand flag is in fact all black and made completely out of gaff tape.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah. The military buys the most expensive jackstands it can find. Because if you don't max out your budget, how are you going to ask for more money next year?

The most expensive jack stands from the lowest bidder.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BillyJoeBob posted:

Ok I'm gonna stop spamming this thing for now after this. Until I get am afterburner on it at least.

I made a vid of it starting up and running it higher than last time, though I killed the fuel when the oil pressure started looking funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJGvPja49Rs

it belongs in the osha thread because your ppe sucks. dicknosing it with no face shield, and half your ear-pro hanging loose while 3 feet away from a homemade jet engine.

good job on the build, but please be safe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

So, the impression I'm getting is that a mosh pit is safer than my middle school right before break, where a girl fell and the herd of students didn't stop and she ended up with a broken arm.

From the concert event production side, 3 genres of music will have more injuries than average, metal, country, and urban. Metal pumps out a lot of 'consensual' mosh pit injuries, mostly minor stuff, sometimes someone hits their head or breaks a bone, but the crowd is helpful with the injuries and loves moshing. Country is drunken fist fights. So many fights, and people involved are angry and belligerent, because they're loving wasted. Rap/hip-hip/urban is similar, more chill overall, but the fights are more likely to have weapons involved.

Obviously just general guidelines, some artists and crowds are super chill, and others are way more aggro. Roughly aligns with how thick the cloud of weed smoke is, vs how much beer covers the floor afterwards.

EDM also has higher medical demands, but that's mostly due to drugs and dehydration.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_contemporary
It's the (probably racist) music industry term that fits too many styles of music into one genre.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Huffing solvents and smoking?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

🎼~like a rock (whoa like a rock)~

Also it's a bummer this version doesn't have audio, because in fairly certain that it has been posted before with audio, and the driver is furious because he just bought it.

should have gotten one where the front doesn't fall off

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

from several thousand OSHA incidents back but this rear end in a top hat should have just rolled down the window

hell yeah, free snake!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We had a cage you slid the forks into, then chained to the lift, at my last warehouse job. Had a little safety rope and safety chains across the entrance. It was old as hell and so was the forklift.

That plus a harness and tie off to the cage is how you're supposed to do it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If everyone inside is a fire, then yes.

You have a little fire inside you, when it goes out, you die.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

small ghost posted:

You could make an entire new film/TV only OSHA thread tbh. I just got off a call with my dad, who has Parkinson's, who was just updating me on an old industry friend of his, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's; just like another friend of theirs who died of complications related to Parkinson's just last year... I'm not sure if there's a proven link between developing colour film and Parkinson's, but anecdotally, a lot of photographers and cameramen seem to get it.

Michael J. Fox got Parkinson's from some bad heroin, users of certain herbicides have increased rates of Parkinson's, and it can be triggered in primates by injecting MPTP. It absolutely has external triggers. Huffing tons of organic solvents for years and developing long term problems is completely believable and unfortunately common as people exposed to those low safety practices get older.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah what the hell, why didn't they just gently brake and move in behind the truck? I drive in heavy traffic all the time and I would never ever have done that. "Zoom ahead and make an illegal lane crossing" is a pretty garbage plan.

poo poo I just watched it again, they didn't to change lanes at all, they were already in an exit lane. The truck was ahead of them and moved over. They just showed a completely unsafe and unnecessary maneuver and presented it as good.
The tesla is being an rear end in a top hat, and the truck is making a very dangerous maneuver. The speed limit difference between those two would only be 10mph (55 vs 65), but the traffic conditions is 20+ mph (55 or less, and 75+) when the truck enters his lane ~2 car lengths ahead of the car. There's only about a second from the front of the semi entering the left lane to the point where the tesla would have hit the back of the trailer. That's a hard emergency stop for the tesla to avoid hitting the truck, or dodge over a lane. Having a truck merge into my lane like that would absolutely trigger my adrenaline and crash avoidance reflexes. I can't say for certain what I would do, but if my awareness said the exit lane was clear, moving left to the exit lane is better than slamming on my brakes.

After that, I dunno? Am I stuck in the exit lane next to a truck that still wants to get over and almost hit me once already? I need to get in front or behind the truck, and I want to get back to my lane before the gore strip ends. I general I want to be as far away from erratic drivers as possible, for trucks that means passing them. In this situation, my car wouldn't be able to pass the truck before the gore strip ends. So I'd have to brake safely then merge right back to my lane behind the truck. The tesla was able to just floor it and get in front of the truck. It's not the safest option, but given the situation, it's reasonable.

I will poo poo on tesla and musk all day long, but that trucker was willing to cause a crash to avoid missing an exit.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Jabor posted:

Just so you're aware, the blinking lights on the truck are actually there to indicate that it's going to perform a lane change - it's not like the truck suddenly moved with no warning.

That's the rear end in a top hat part.

Turn signals also don't magically make merging into a space 1.5x times your size with a 20mph speed difference safe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

thank god the tesla saved that person and did a manovour that no human paying attention could do - listing to the left

the AP put the tesla in the lovely situation because it can't read traffic like a human. i can tell when a truck is freaking out and trying to merge two lanes over to make an exit, but the AP can't.

Jabor posted:

I'll mention that the autopilot in this case swerved into another lane instead of braking because it's programmed to avoid hard braking whenever possible.

The overall system is an unreliable piece of poo poo, and nuisance braking is very noticeable to passengers while maintaining speed but driving erratically is not. The system is tuned to avoid braking as an attempt to cover up just how bad it is.

Failure for self driving that requires human intervention always happens in the worst mode possible for humans to intervene. A human can't be tuned out and snap to attention to correct a problem before an incident occurs. Instead we're getting systems that default to carrying on as if everything is fine until something catastrophic happens.

I guess I accidentally described almost every system and institution in America there, too.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Going back to the picture Plutonium rods being placed too closely to one another - there was an accident with a Plutonium solution at LANL in 1958 that blasted a worker with an estimated 13,000 REM. Too much solution was put into a tank and when the worker peeked through a porthole-style window in the tank and started the stirrer, it flashed blue. Ooops.

The Forbidden Blue.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have one of these on my keychain. It's not bright at all, but enough that I can find my keys in the dark without issue.

Hate to think what I'll do when mine eventually fades. I got it for about $15, looking on ebay they're going for around US$60 now.

I have a couple that are 13 years old now. I can always find my keys in pitch black rooms thanks to the tiny little ghostly lights. While they've definitely gotten dimmer over time, they still do their thing after being ~1 half-life old.

Always get green for these. The other colors suck compared to green. They're so dim that your increased sensitivity to green light really helps.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I hope Tesla continues to improve it's suicidal ramming into cops feature.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

a lot of them are rental trucks, meaning that an inexperienced driver is behind the wheel. you can guess how many of them pay for the additional insurance to cover things like this - especially to the extent necessary to cover the driver in the case of something like "ignored multiple warnings that the vehicle was overheight". it is also very likely the city would bill the driver for cleanup as well in addition to an dumbass fees for hitting the bridge in the first place. if a driver doesn't hit the bridge but stops and gets stuck, and needs to call the police to stop traffic to help them turn around, that can incur a fee as well

e: honestly, i wouldn't surprised if truck rental joints in the area didn't have specific warnings about the 11'8 bridge. "driving through here? watch out for this loving bridge!"

One of the non-chain truck rental places around here has the whole rental counter covered in warnings and pictures of overheight collisions with plenty of warnings that no insurance will cover it. Not the one they offer, not your personal insurance, it's always going to be your fault, and it's going to be loving expensive.

Like $10,000 to $30,000+ expensive for just the repairs.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

By popular demand posted:

Koala, panda and sloth are all members of the crap bear family, which specialises in appearing cute from afar but are a loving biological cesspit.

My friend and I joked about starting a panda diet company. It's both a diet and a subscription service. Every day you get 35lbs of leafy greens delivered, and you only get to eat those leaves. Some time around when you've finished those 35lbs, the next daily shipment will arrive. No exercise, because you're too busy eating enough leaves and pooping leaves to have time to do anything else. It's the perfect diet, you get to be lazy, and eat all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Look, the boss said to go help, so I'm helping.