Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Thanks for reposting the cups saga, I enjoyed reliving that!

Kennel posted:

Let's relive the greatest comic story of 2019!
This was great, but Estelle's dream sequence was also incredible. Mary Worth really hit it out of the park at the end of last year.

F Minus is a gag-a-gay one-panel and is usually good.

Mark Trail is what everyone knows it is. Notably, there was some inadvertent poop-touching on Twitter last year and now the villain appears to be based on our own Vargo.

I kind of like how they're talking like them finding a freaking yeti is inevitable.

Mary Worth is about an old lady who gives advice to people. Currently, Iris here has been morphing into her ex (and longtime regular sad-sack character) Wilbur and is getting fat and going bald and therefore broke up with her much younger rich boyfriend. (I still think she's actually pregnant.)

The Phantom is about a guy who pretends to be a ghost fighting bad guys in the jungle.

Pooch Cafe is about an rear end in a top hat dog and is usually pretty good.

Rex Morgan MD is boring. Nothing happens. Stuff used to happen, now nothing. The last storyline a couple of secondary characters had a baby, which is something that happened but it really had zero tension whatsoever despite being set up as a risky pregnancy. Right now a wacky aunt no one has ever heard of has decided to visit.

Andertoons is a gag-a-day one-panel and is also usually good. It is probably quietly my favorite comic.

Apartment 3-G is a comic about 3 single young women living in NYC. I used to post the current ones but they stopped making them after the artist lost his mind so I post the vintage strips now. We're in 1974, and a misogynistic talk show host who moved into the building has a teenage sister is visiting who is an alcoholic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nono, the Keypad Kid is a mascot for something to do with "the digital divide" I forget the specifics at the moment.
The Keypad Kid© is the mascot of the Keypad Kid Project, which hopes to educate the public on new waves of technology to bridge the digital divide at homes, businesses, churches, and special groups.

Apparently, my avatar is the Early Warning Bird, which has no stated purpose. There is also a dog named Pound for some reason.

That said, Charles Boyce is a extremely nice man who is trying to help people and in my opinion is a National Treasure and I feel bad about making fun of his work but I just can't help it.

lmao

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

I’ll be traveling for the next few days, so you’ll all have to find some way to get through life without servings of Ripley’s.
I don't believe it. :colbert:

Vargo posted:

Curt- ahahahahaha what the gently caress is this, billingsley you suck so hard, lol

What the hell?

F Minus

The Walt Disney Story

Mark Trail

That pack? Filled with nothing but bear repellant!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

This is the only view we've had of who is visiting.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

My favorite strip as a kid.

Yeah it's a simple joke but done very well.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Flag on the moon...A woman's purse...

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Why doesn't Helen have any beverage? Not even water.

Edit: Oh she did in the original and I'm missing a joke.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Look! A kinda good Macanudo!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Does it appear to anyone else that you're supposed to read the top left panel, then the top part of the big right panel, then the bottom left panel, then the bottom of the right? That's not what comic strips are supposed to do but it doesn't seem to work any other way.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

*The Ghost Who Steals Culturally Important Artifacts and Human Remains!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Eat, my pretties!"

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Flash Gordon

That story seemed longer than the usual one, but that may be because it was boring.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

No Safe Havens on Sundays!
I just want to thank you for bringing this back.

F Minus

Commas are important.

Mark Trail

Dr Camel hates Mark's passive aggressive complaining.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Spiffster posted:

Yesterday mods: for the love of god don’t make me type in that prob/ban

Today mods: not even a day...
Honestly, Archyduchess saying that just made me want to post Dilbert. Just once, just for the probation reason. But, now it has been done, so the circle is complete and I'll just post my regulars.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Dr Camel is real touchy about some pretty inane questions from Mark.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

God wreaks havoc with your utilities bills.

Rex Morgan MD

"I'll just wait until the afternoon to eat your children."

Andertoons

Made me think of this.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Hey I thought merpeople were from Mars!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

*pounds table*
PREGNANCY
PREGNANCY
PREGNANCY

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Normally I imagine Rex having a deep manly bass voice, but today I read it as sassy and effeminate and it works well.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Geez Tommie got a shorter skirt?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bobulus posted:

No, one of the completely bizarre plot points of this comic is that some alien creature started on Venus, I guess abandoned it when it became uninhabitable(?), stopped by on Earth (and apparently hosed some humans to make mermaids(?)), and then traveled to Mars to start a new civilization. Which was prompted wiped out when Mars became sentient and deliberately killed them all with their own machines.
Of course! How stupid of me! Boy is my face red!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pentaro posted:

Isn't Barnaby the comic about the boy with the gruff fairy godfather? I remember it being fun.
Oh yeah that one had a cool style.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think Allen understands Mark constantly whining during this expedition he agreed to come on just makes him seem like a weird killjoy

Tiggum posted:

Not just agreed to, he's also being paid to be there.
He's a nature photographer/writer who is making GBS threads on a paid trip to the Himalayas. He should be ecstatic about this opportunity. Even if they don't find a yeti, he's going to get some beautiful and interesting pictures out of it, and an amazing experience too. It's really dumb.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Dogs have bad breath.

Rex Morgan MD

OK, I'm in on the Aunt Tildy visit storyline.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Did you guys know this is Ray Billingsley of Curtis fame?

:lol:

Tiggum posted:

Mandrake waves his hands.
:drac: Now you're stuck in a cage. Hang tight while I go rescue Narda.
Come on now! Mandrake gestures hypnotically.
Gonna try this.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Yeah, OK.

Mary Worth

"Well, suddenly getting fat and losing my hair is kind of stressing me out, but I'm not sure how to 'cut back' on that."

The Phantom

One of the Bandar watching Phantom's back maybe?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:3:

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Overboard has been a pleasant surprise to me ever since it's been posted. Thanks for throwing it in here!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I swear she gets fatter every strip.

The Phantom

I'm starting to think they're not going to tell any of these stories.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Hm...'White Claw' wonder what that's like."

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Flash Gordon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

"Yetis killed my father!"

Mary Worth

Zak can hardly contain himself.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Had to read this twice:

Hahaha :same:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

I was going to ask why the rabbit has a skunk spray but of course I know the answer is stupid and probably hosed up anyways so why bother.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Huh. I always heard the rule was that the man should walk on the outside, closest to the curb, so the woman would be protected from any splashes if someone rode/drove through street mess too fast.

And my favorite Outdated Encyclopedia Brown solution is the one where the crook claims he was at the bank cashing a check on a certain date, and Encyclopedia points out he couldn't possibly have done that because that date was a Sunday.
Edit: already covered man/woman walking etiquette stuff.

The only specific Encyclopedia Brown solution I still remember vividly was a guy had a sword that was supposedly given to a general after the First Battle of Bull Run and EB knew it was fake because it was engraved "For the First Battle of Bull Run" and he was like "How would they know it was the first when they hadn't had a second yet?"

F Minus

Mark Trail

No they weren't. This is dumb.

Mary Worth

Apparently, MW has become "Edge of Drama" since they keep killing interesting possibilities before they happen.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

This could very well be why time machines don't exist.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Archyduchess posted:

I'm doing a slightly longer block of these as well because I like the gag on the 13th. I initially thought the joke about the mysterious "Axis spy ship" was a reference to foo fighters, an at-one-time popular rumor about mysterious aircrafts that dovetailed into the nascent stages of American UFO mythology, but it turns out those weren't really a going concern until 1944.
Could have been inspired by the Battle of Los Angeles which happened just a few months earlier.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Vargo posted:

Apologies to Johnny Walker, but I absolutely had to post today's Mark Trail.

He is absolutely making it a point to not use clip art in this. Look at that "I'm a very serious artist" cross-hatching. At that Picasso-rear end face. At the hosed proportions of the man landing in the third panel.

When James Allen is trying, he draws like a 14-year old. This is him really showing me what's what.
I forgive you...this time.

Third panel guy had me literally laughing out loud.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Thanks, creepy old lady!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

RandomPauI posted:

Why did Gilchrist and other guy split?
When you and a partner come up with a hot IP like Brother Rock, there's bound to be some tension.

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Am I the only one here that absolutely hates this stupid comic? I think i might be. For some reason it really gets on my nerves how the adults understand the kid and wacky hijinks ensue. A baby? Made a trapdoor? Why what will they think of next ha ha!

Strontium posted:

It has been many years since Sarah last showed up in Intelligent Life, so let's do a recap of the years she was part of the comic.
I appreciate you doing this, because I was wondering who the hell that was.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Wholesome Food

The Phantom

That man needs serious medical attention now, Mr Whowalks.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Well, when I was a kid what I considered "old" is different from what is "old" now. I don't think that's weird.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Tiggum posted:

Sure, Tommie drank half a bottle of vodka in the time it took Sara to finish getting ready. Totally plausible.
Welsh spotted.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay, okay, I confess. That pamphlet got a genuine laugh out of me.
This reminds me that when I was a kid my mom got me the book "What's Happening To Me?"

Safety Dance posted:

Daddy Daze is far from the worst thing in this thread, even among comics that get posted ironically. It's maybe a little bland, but solidly okay.
I don't think it's the worst in the thread, but it's not "ok" either. It's bad. It's a bad comic.

But to each their own.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Obviously the editors wouldn't let him get away with blood.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

*Dustin's dad's head explodes*

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: It really was a blessing when James Allen stumbled across Vargo's tweets.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

MyronMulch posted:

I strongly suspect that all the heads are drawn by somebody else, either before as a big collection of assets for Jam to choose from or as something drawn into the panel before or after by an assistant. The drawing style of the heads and drat near everything else is different, and things don't fit together too well -- the head positions don't make sense, necks too long or too short, etc. I'm thinking of the Cherry bikini lounging pose from way way back. We see the real Jam style when the characters are far away (probably because he doesn't have assets that small, or they look terrible when he reduces them), and also in Edge of Adventure, where a given character's face looks different every time he draws it.
I honestly don't think James Allen c%ps or traces, but he does copy directly from old drawings (or 'source material' as he calls it). For nature stuff he definitely uses GIS pictures, I think anyone who has taken a second to google a subject of his Sunday stuff has found the picture he used most of the time (see here and here).

But he does probably draw the character bodies himself, which is why they often don't seem to fit together right, and when he is free-drawing a character that is brand new and he has no source material to draw from for the face, like not-Vargo, it clearly sticks out as different.

I doubt he has an assistant at all. He started out as that but times have changed and I don't think there's that much money coming from the syndicate to him for drawing MT for him to pay for one.

Mary Worth

The Phantom messes with his daughter for another week.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Flash Gordon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hm that's interesting I think I'll fact-check that mouth one. Let's see..."big gape" should do here in GIS and oh--oh no. Well, now I'm fired.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mark has been loving intolerable in this entire "adventure."

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Everyone comes to the Morgan's to die.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Also don't ask her about those pills. Or that weed. Or those threatening notes from a bookie.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This is art.

Good Listener posted:

I saw some of the book collections in the Kids books section of Target over the weekend and it made me happy. Dana seems like good people and I hope kids like the strip too.
I know at least one 8-year-old girl that does.

F Minus

Mark Trail

For some reason I'm thinking of smurfs.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I wonder if they wouldn't let him use a more current show.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

csammis posted:

I think the Frazz-child is trying to say that it was a sports story that was written outside of hockey season (pucks), football season (goalposts), and - basketball season? Soccer season? Something with nets - and so did not mention those elements.

I loving hate that my brain turned Frazz into a semi-coherent thought. Need more beer, then sleep.
The problem with the joke is we're smack in the middle of hockey and basketball, and football is coming up on its most famous annual game.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How is neither this nor the last one edits? :psyduck:
It's even the same kid.

Archyduchess posted:

Theatre rules! It's so much fun! Also this is the thread about posting newspaper comic strips, I don't think any of us should be acting smug about obsolete mediums.
:lol: Good point.

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby (Feb 4-5, 2015)

These are great and this guy is a good cartoonist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3vfyZ_O7DQ

F Minus

Mark Trail and Thumbhead

Mary Worth

Also known as a "blanket."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Has she been gaining weight? Going bald?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Well you drank half the vodka!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The poem's about a man from Nantucket.

F Minus

Ladies love my Zubaz car.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Geez Rex gently caress you.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

So, Kelley has never eaten pizza with a family, is my take-away.
What your family doesn't line up in an orderly fashion to each take a turn choosing a piece?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That was a really good Robbie and Bobby.

F Minus

Mark Trail

This whole week has been these two heads in identical outfits arguing about whether the yeti exist. James Allen sucks.

Mary Worth continues to disappoint by completing its return to the boring status quo.

The Phantom

I don't even know what's going on in Phantom anymore. I think all these bad comics are getting to me.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons once again saves my mood from the bad comics

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

More like this, please, Olivia Jaimes.

F Minus

Mark Trail

lol

Mary Worth

Sounds like a healthy relationship to me!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

holy loving poo poo, I'm dying here.
I think you got to him, so he started trying more, and this is the result, and that's why he's off Twitter.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait. Stylus on glass? Oh my god is he drawing on a digital tablet and getting results like these?!
To be fair it's very different drawing on a tablet and on paper, and if you're not used to it it's weird. It's a lot more "slick" than paper and that causes a loss of some control. It takes some getting used to.

But if I was doing a comic strip for newspapers around the world I would probably have not submitted that one.
That's a pretty good gag!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

:lol: "Matey's Night"

Flash Gordon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

IMO you could post fewer strips in one go. That's 26 now (and all of them interesting), so these posts are getting quite laborious to read unless I start skipping stuff.
Yeah like half that might be better. We're not trying to catch up with the current ones or anything.

F Minus

Mark Trail

"No one's talking to you, Mr Goat!"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"Wait, we walked all this way and you don't even know?"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

It's like watching someone take a cartooning class.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

PetraCore posted:

I actually think it's cool Jam is figuring out how to draw with a stylus to get Mark Trail up to snuff, it's easy to mock but I think there's been big improvements over the past week.
I definitely think today's is worlds better than that one infamous strip last week, for sure, and I do think it's neat that he's putting some effort into improving his skills. However I suspect he's actually drawing more and the tablet is the excuse he has for the quality of his drawings, which I think is kind of funny since he's shown himself to be kind of an rear end in a top hat who is full of himself and has been a professional comic strip artist on a marquee strip for years now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

"This has never happened before! It must be all the stress I've been under!"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

My dog was asleep when I read this and her nose was not warm. From what I can tell this actually may have to do with the nose drying during sleep since dogs don't lick their noses when they're asleep.

Rex Morgan MD

It's called "The Change of Life," doc.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The classiest cocktail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Poil posted:

Only same-race couples allowed! :hitler:
Slylock and Cassandra Cat have a forbidden love.