Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Haha, and I thought the harshest you got on a game was Sonic Mania (which I felt was similar to my take on it as well). Is this popular as a kusoge or something? Was curious why your friend gifted you it as I imagine there are, unfortunately, a lot of unremarkable platformers like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

Rain World Review

Ah, I felt like this might be the case for me as well. I want to try this game because it seems like a cool modernization of games like Out of this World or Flashback, but I dunno if I'd have the time or patience for it, even though I can appreciate what this game is doing and the beauty of it. Similar thing is happening to me with games like Disco Elysium: I've loved my time with it but I dunno if I can go all the way with it, even though I feel I should.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

goferchan posted:

Bought Dark Souls 3 on the Humble sale; played on PS4 a bunch before I had a PC but I'm ready for those sweet 60fps. I'm having a really bad time with controller support though -- I generally have no problems with my dualshock 4 on steam but for some reason the right stick camera control sensitivity is REALLY high even after turning all related settings down to the minimum; a tiny flick will rotate 180° or more and I think it's maybe reading the right stick as a mouse input? Open to any suggestions to fix this! Not super familiar with navigating the controller settings in Steam because most games have worked fine to just plug n play.

It was a while ago but the same thing happened to me. I think it had something to do with Steam Big Picture or whatever they call it selecting a default controller layout which wasn't good and used the right joystick as a 'mouse' instead of a 'move', if I recall correctly. Try going into steam big picture and either tweak the controller setup or change the controller profile it loads to something else.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Leal posted:

Does Code Vein have flashy fast movements and allow me to dodge cancel or is it like dark souls where a GTA protag starts using a sword, with all the concrete that entails?

Depends on your build, of course, but assuming you're using a quick mobility build with lighter weapons, then yes, it can be quite fast and cancellable. Though, obviously, that depends on your frame of reference: if you mean as fast as Hades combat with nano-second dodges and cancels, then no, but if you mean as fast as Bloodborne combat which is a bit lighter than Dark Souls, then yes.

Here's someone using a quick mobility build for bosses, maybe check out some of the early less-spoilery fights to get an impression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyAAjB_-_E

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 7, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I've seen and purchased a lot of recommendations in this thread, so I'll add to the pile with some cheap ones under $10:

ELDERBORN is a pretty decent, short n' sweet first-person melee-combat focused Dark Souls/Dark Messiah of Might and Magic where you slash, stab, block, parry, dodge, rip heads off and throw them, and kick enemies off ledges as you make your way through a few levels, collecting keys, activating puzzles and fighting bosses. Game is pretty short at around 6 hours or so, with about 3 main big levels with bosses, but it doesn't have any padding to it: just gets straight into the combat so it's good for replayability with a new game + mode. It ain't perfect: sound design is a little lacking so there aren't as many audio tells and feedback as I'd like, and animations can be a little awkward at times, but once you get used to it, you really feel good battling through the hordes of enemies.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a very good open-world action RPG. If you like games like Skyrim, well, this is the vastly superior version to me, though it can have a bit of a rocky introduction since some mechanics in the game can be a little confusing at first. Combat is a huge plus for this: you can battle huge monsters by climbing all over them to stab at their weakpoints, and all of the classes are so varied in incredible ways and you can level them up and mix and match abilities to create your own super class. Melee combat can be as incredibly involved with parrys and dodges and all sorts of fancy abilities, and magic really stands out as well since it involves as sorts of elements and incantations and levels of charge and all sorts of useful utility: it ain't just shooting magic out your hands to make health go down like every other game. The world also has a wonderful Deus Ex feel to it: that good feeling where you can tell the designers lovingly crafted the world and didn't just randomly generate it, where every single location, every single corner, has some sort of hidden treasure or reward to it.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 28, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I'm actually glad to hear some of the feedback on Nier Automata's odd design choices here. I've been currently making a retrospective video on it that agrees with a lot of the complaints brought up (while also highlighting the positives as well, to be fair) and I was really worried that I would just be slammed by the people who overwhelmingly love the game. Good to know that some people feel the same: it's silly, I know, but it was really easy for me to feel like I was insane making my complaints when up against such an echo chamber. Hopefully it'll be a nice video for the people in a similar position who haven't been able to express these opinions.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the deal with Kingdom Come: Deliverance? It has that thing where all of the reviews are either excessively positive or exceedingly negative, without much wiggle room. Is it just one of those things where, like, if you're down for eurojank exploration it's rad, but if you go in expecting indie Skyrim you're setting yourself up to get disappointed?

Apart from all the controversial stuff mentioned here, the game does also have a lot of design decisions that can be confusing and frustrating for some people. For example, manual saving can only be accomplished with a limited consumable potion that you need to buy or craft. Another example is that your character's combat skills are absolutely atrocious at the start, which, while appropriate for the story since you are just a peasant, can be difficult to get used to as you will need to do a lot of in-game training not only to grasp how the combat works (which does have a neat For Honor-esque directional attacks to weakpoints and such), but also to have your character build up experience to be effective. Combat can also be an issue as it is built for one-on-ones but you will constantly be forced into you-against-many scenarios. And, as stated, it's a big open-world game, so some slight jank is to be expected. Basically, from what I can tell, it seems to be quite an immersive sim at times with how much work you need to put in and how many things the game tracks (such as hygiene and your outfit being more than just armor points) and how unforgiving the world can be, but that can be way more unforgiving than some might expect.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

RDR2 would be better if it had more Chores.

If you mean that, it would be a bit cooler if the whole 'do odd jobs of your own choosing and your own way/methods, be it honorable or evil, to gather money for the community chest' was more important and integral to progression, instead of just being something to do until the game forgets all that and just forces you into more and more strict, linear missions that only go one way and ruin the dynamic of money and relationships, then I think that actually is a potentially good idea.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

With all the Cyberpunk talk flying about and me wanting nothing to do with it, but getting the urge to play an FPS RPG stuck in my head nonetheless: was Deus Ex Mankind Divided any good? Seemed to be a bit back-and-forth on the perception of it, wondering where it stands now that the honeymoon is over. I'm getting the impression that it was solidly put-together if you want a Deus Ex experience, but it was rather short and lackluster in terms of story and substance? (and stuffed with weird microtransactions) Hard to go wrong considering it's $5, I suppose, but I'm always reluctant to add more to my already large backlog.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Been a spell since I've played Dragon's Dogma. Is Hard Mode a bad idea or nah?

I played on hard mode and it was...quite an experience. At the start, you will constantly be getting one-shot by enemies, and it can be quite infuriating, especially since while it might make sense to die from getting slammed by an ogre, even a bandit just nicking you can do the same, so expect a lot of constant saving and loading as you learn the ropes. I did have fun eventually since it did force me to play very strategically by using buff items, healing, conserving stamina, dodge and block, you know, the stuff you might not even feel the need to use on an easier difficulty because you can just walk up like a boss to any enemy. Later on, however, as you start to level up, it can end up getting to the point where enemies can't even kill you since you're so powerful, so it kind of made a lot of the hard mode challenge become moot, so why bother? Basically, the leveling does seem to cause the world to be incredibly imbalanced and vary wildly in how combat plays out: hard mode kind of helps by preserving the challenge but also hinders by overdoing it at times, since it is, at its core, just a huge multiplier to the amount of damage you take: it makes it where learning combat is not done within it by taking a few hits and learning, but by dying to single hits and reloading your save, so I'd just say if you want a smoother experience to keep the story pacing, do normal, but if you don't mind a spiky difficultly curve, feel free to try hard.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 27, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Ulio posted:

Ya I really like the tone and setting in a secret government agency. The letters are all fascinating, with coverups, assassination's and bunch of crazy poo poo in general. I feel like there is a bit too much of the notes/letters which stops the flow of the game. They could have perhaps given the characters a bit more dialogue so they could do some of the exposition. It kinda reminds me of Bioshock 1 so far but level design and combat is better done.

I have only played Alan Wake 1, I didn't finish it, I absolutely loved the tone in that too but the gameplay was not enjoyable. I really need to get it to it because the atmosphere was terrific in that as well.

I'm playing Control at the moment and yeah, similar feel to you: I like it and I like finding all the notes and such, but I kinda hate what it does to the flow of the game. I've got all these urgent missions to do and yet every time I enter a room and the framing makes it all majestic to look at and such, I never feel like I get to appreciate it because I immediately go to the sides to search for hidden intel instead of forging forward.

Chas McGill posted:

Any opinions on Elderborn? Does it scratch the Dark Messiah of Might and Magic itch?

I wrote a little review on it back that I'll put below. Basically, it is a pretty short and sweet first-person melee-focused metroid/dark souls type of game, albeit a bit more linear (think Doom where you go off branches and search for keys, instead of Dark Souls where you have a big world to explore). It's a little clunky though: animations, sound and feedback can be awkward which makes combat a bit fiddly until you kinda acclimate to the jank, but it's definitely worth the cheap asking price.

ELDERBORN is a pretty decent, short n' sweet first-person melee-combat focused Dark Souls/Dark Messiah of Might and Magic where you slash, stab, block, parry, dodge, rip heads off and throw them, and kick enemies off ledges as you make your way through a few levels, collecting keys, activating puzzles and fighting bosses. Game is pretty short at around 6 hours or so, with about 3 main big levels with bosses, but it doesn't have any padding to it: just gets straight into the combat so it's good for replayability with a new game + mode. It ain't perfect: sound design is a little lacking so there aren't as many audio tells and feedback as I'd like, and animations can be a little awkward at times, but once you get used to it, you really feel good battling through the hordes of enemies.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK I tried one step from eden and I'm not sure I get it?

I already have like 12 abilities in my random deck but I don't remember what any of them are and there's no indicator or text on the screen telling me what they are in the middle of real-time combat so I guess I should just keep spamming buttons and moving around?

I was kinda feeling this as well: I was doing alright keeping track of what the spells do actively since they allow you to practice between stages and they show the nice animation previews when you are arranging your deck, but I gave up trying to keep track of all the passives like flow and trinity and all that haha. I think, unless I'm wrong, that it is just part of the game to memorize all that stuff and keep track of it in the heat of battle: just part of the way of getting skilled, bit-by-bit, as you play it over and over, I suppose, like slowly memorizing the items in the LoL store or your characters fighting moves in Street Fighter.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 27, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Looking for an online RPG to play with 3-5 of my friends. Any recommendations out there?

Saoshyant posted:

You mean MMO? The gold standard is Final Fantasy XIV.

Just as a little tidbit, as much as I like FFXIV nowadays, and as much as I do think they've ironed out some of the early game issues with the latest patches, I'd like to throw in that it's not an MMORPG that I'd recommend easily: it has an incredibly long, tedious and unchallenging introductory period since it is built as 'baby's first MMO'. Furthermore, the vast majority of gameplay is actually built as if it was a solo RPG story where you're encouraged to do everything yourself, watch cutscenes and so on. Playing with your friends in an active way, such as doing dungeon parties, or hanging out in a house and decorating things, is limited, and will involve having to play it for a long time before even unlocking it.

I'll admit I don't have any recommendations of my own at the moment since I don't play many MMORPGs anymore, but it depends on what you mean by online RPG. If you mean an MMORPG, maybe go for something like Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online since they have level scaling on at all times, and could thus make it easier to group up. But if you want something faster to pick up and play, maybe go for Monster Hunter World, Remnant From the Ashes, or Diablo 3 / Path of Exile if that counts as an online RPG?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 28, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I want so many indie games to price themselves higher, in general, but it seems so hard to fight the weird public perception of some games and their supposed cost. Some indie games are able to sneak into the higher 'AA' tier and price themselves higher based on their graphics and such, but I imagine it must be especially tough for something like Caves of Qud which doesn't look graphically impressive in screenshots. Games like Brigador should cost way more and yet people wanted it to be so much cheaper...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all. I was specifically looking for a non-MMO as some of the people I play with will not do a subscription-model game, though maybe I can talk em into at least doing the trial period.

If it helps, Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars aren't subscription-based: there's a lot of content you can access in the completely free base game, with only the expansions (and stuff like buying stash space or whatever) costing money. FFXIV also has a trial period for the initial base game, but again, the warning I stated beforehand apply considering how slow the game starts (and to be fair, most MMOs also start slow, just FFXIV is the slowest ever I've encountered).

For online coop RPGs, there's definitely all the hack-and-slash loot games I mentioned before, like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 3, for example. After that, there are the "Tales of" games, like Tales of Berseria and Vesperia and so on: those are a bit different in that it will be one player playing the game, walking around, talking and such, but having other players each able to control their own party member when you go into combat (I've done it with friends before so it can work, as long as they don't mind sitting around, chit-chatting while watching along). There's also the Monster Hunter games, such as Monster Hunter World, along with similar games like God Eater 3 and Toukiden 2, where it's just all combat and beating up big bosses together. I don't have any experience with it, but there are also more straight-forward RPG games like Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 3 that sport interesting coop modes.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 29, 2020

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Any opinion on Halo nowadays? I've never played it as I've never had an Xbox in my household, but I was a bit curious as to experience this landmark game and wondering if doing a coop campaign through the series could be fun. However, part of me is thinking that might be a bad idea as 1) it's probably very outdated and far from the new intense action I crave from games like Dusk or Doom Eternal 2) I mostly just play for the spectacle and combat and try to avoid long cutscene games, so I don't know if the lore and story is gonna have any impression on me and 3) maybe Halo was known for its PvP multiplayer instead, which I'm not interested in, so perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place and I should just get Deep Rock Galactic or something instead for coop fun.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Thanks for the Halo feedback! Just to clarify though, since maybe I was being unfair to compare it to modern games and didn't give enough details, so I've made an example: I've gone through and played Half-Life 1 (not Black Mesa, just classic) recently and had a lot of fun as, despite it being very old and rather simple compared to the more complex games nowadays, it has a good flow to it with very few stops, along with cool and varied level design, so it held up for me very well. However, when I tried to play Half-Life 2 recently, it was a bit different: the game did have plenty of cool and neat moments, sure, but something about it felt a bit more bland or a bit more tedious, I dunno, maybe it's the subtle gamefeel or maybe it's levels were a bit too large and open at times which caused weird pacing as you plod around, and that wasn't helped by having to go through all the forced story bits and standing in place to wait for people to finish talking and so on as well. Wonder if Halo is a bit more of a Half-Life 2 instead of a Half-Life 1 in this regard. I'm probably just being silly and I should take your advice and avoid Halo, but I was just curious.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

nordichammer posted:

I actually think I would have enjoyed Battleborn as a coop game. Shame it won't even be playable in that state.

I dunno, I think I wanted to enjoy it as well, but the only thing I remember back from the beta or demo or whatever it was, was that you needed to wait constantly for doors to open because the people on the radio needed to finish their quippy dialogue. For example, even if you worked hard to beat up a boss really fast, it didn't matter: they'd still be talking, and boy did they love to talk, so you just had to sit there and listen to it before being allowed to proceed. To give it some credit, I think they had variations of the mission dialogue, but I think that's the wrong fix for the repetitive situation: that's not attacking the root issue, that's applying a patch over it. Also, it was probably only like 3 variations, so for a mission you're going to be replaying constantly, I'd imagine it would be infuriating. See Borderlands series for similar issues, or Destiny 2 with "whether we wanted it or not...".

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 3, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What did everyone hate about Vampyr? I remember it being OK but it was possible to screw yourself if you went too hard into vampire magic without killing people.

I had an alright time with Vampyr. The whole difficulty of the game being a reflection of your own characters difficulty deciding whether to feed on people was quite nice and clever. My complaints were that the execution was a bit awkward at times, as 1) you can beat the crap out of a million vampire hunters and suck their blood, and still be a good guy, but suck the blood of one civilian and oh no you bad 2) the combat mechanics are a bit janky with how attacks kind of auto-correct glide into you, among other things, making the difficulty feel unfairly annoying until you get used to the jank factor 3) unless you play on hard mode, the whole morality behind the difficulty can be sidestepped from how easy it is to be good 4) dialogue interactions can be a bit awkward at times with certain choices not being quite what you expected and a lot of dialogue boiling down to boring questions 5) the experience/levels can be a bit annoying in that it's just you fighting against enemies becoming unfairly spongy and super-powerful in terms of stats, not actual movesets or tactics 6) world navigation can be annoying with a lot of backtracking and you having to remember to open a lot of one-way locked gates between districts unless you want to go the looooong way. Basically, a neat idea with some cool stuff in there, but there's just some rough edges and jank around that: kind of expect it from any experimental game, I suppose.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 3, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I agree with all of this, but there's one additional thing I'd add- at least for me, the combat became unbelievable amounts of unfun BS in the last few hours. I was shooting for a perfect ending, e.g. I never ate anybody (even the jerkasses who really deserved it), which means that I was pretty underleveled. I think that's what the devs intended, but combat while underleveled feels super-duper bad. By the end of the game I was wholesale sprinting through areas because most enemies took a zillion hits to kill and could kill me in 2-3 hits, and the high enemy lethality turned a couple of legitimately awesome late-game bosses into unfun slogs.

TL;DR the setting is great, graphics are great, combat's okay, but for gently caress's sake set that difficulty slider as low as it'll possibly go.

Yeah that's kind of the weird point for the game: essentially, if you're going for the perfect ending, the game is going to become almost unbearably hard to try and force your hand into munching on some civilians to level up to overcome. Now, that is the point and it's understandable as its trying to sell the whole moral dilemma of being a vampire: it must be tough to move around and fight when you're starving yourself. I've heard many stories from friends and people on forums and such on how it was a great eye-opening experience for them, as it got so hard they succumbed and needed to justify who to eat and why it was the lesser evil and so on: very interesting stuff to ponder on and share stories on who you fed on. However, for a lot of people, like for me and Omi, it can end up just turning into frustration as we refuse to eat civilians no matter what because of our stubborn pride or love of challenge: we refuse even though it would make things easier, leading to us slamming our head into a brick wall as the enemy levels get so high they become super sponges that just destroy you in one-hit. I think the game is best played if you don't go for a absolutely perfect ending on a first go, similar to how other games like Dishonored or Deus Ex or what-have-you shouldn't be played as a perfect non-lethal run first, for you miss so much of the experience by doing so.

TL;DR Basically the difficulty is intentionally unbalanced against you to create a unique experience, but...that doesn't mean it'll be fun for certain type of people, nor it is well-crafted enough to not feel unfair due to jankiness

Omi no Kami posted:

Vampyr... but I had no problem with the part of the final boss that I heard tons of enraged complaints about.

From what I understand, the final boss is more powerful the more you've fed on people (since it represents the blood and chaos of the situation). So for people doing a pacifist run (like you and me), the final boss is incredibly easy due to it being malnourished from you never succumbing, making it somewhat of a victory lap reward for not killing anything up to it. However, for people who've increased the chaos of the land by munching on people the whole time, the final boss will be incredibly powerful as it fed on the blood as well, punishing them for having such an easy time up to then. Bit of a malicious mechanic, haha!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 3, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Man, I'm trying to love Disco Elysium, but it's so bloody hard. It just feels so taxing on my soul: everything is going wrong, everyone is a liar that holds all the cards except Kim who is cool, the world is so big and is so difficult to understand and I feel like I'm not going to have any impact on it anyway so why bother and I feel like I'm constantly being judged and none of the lines fit me and are fed a lot of politics that I have no way of knowing what applies for this world and auughhh all my rolls are failing even though it's like 80% and I refuse to save scum and I feel like I'm constantly being timed and need to ignore my completionist tendencies ow ow ow

Hmm, come to think of it, that's probably the intended experience, but still...well, I guess I need to get my poo poo together.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 5, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

Quick reminder Epic coupons expire in about an hour if anybody wants to buy anything there.

Bought myself Ghostrunner as a last-minute decision; thanks for reminder. Also bought Outer Wilds. Tempted to get Desperados 3 as well, but I can probably wait for a next sale cycle (so much backlog!)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Don't give up, and remember that you can be better than you think you are. And make sure to do the cryptid questline.

Haha, this was from quite a while ago, but I just beat Disco Elysium, and goodness, thanks for the hint to do the whole cryptid business. I was mostly playing the game while trying to just hyperfocus on the main story and not get involved with side activities, but I can't imagine getting to the ending without...THAT happening (among the many other fascinating things happening from side activities).

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Begemot posted:

Fun fact: If you don't get splashed with bug pheromones, then the check to talk to it will always fail. So if you're not following that quest line, it's just a weird non-sequitur that only lasts like one line of dialog.

Oh wow, I just figured that the event wouldn't happen. God, that event would be mind-boggling without the context (though the game does seem to want you to do a lot of side activities, so I imagine many would have some context)

And I laid on the pheromones THICK, baby. Though no, I did not lick my finger after getting some of its juice on it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

My rarest achievements are from Lawbreakers...because nobody played that game and I'm an idiot. (god i also got brink when it came out)

I also have the SuperCop achievement from APB Reloaded. That makes me feel a little better. "Meet the cop who can't be stopped!"

I'm surprised I'm not seeing all my Marvel Heroes achievements that people are talking about, I played the hell outta that game. Must've implemented those after I left.

BigRed0427 posted:

Apparently my rarest achievement is from Disco Elysium For recruiting Cuno

Im honestly kind of shocked, i figured everyone took that chance when they got it.

You can do WHAT!? God, everyday I learn just how little I saw in my playthrough.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Cool steam indie demos

Cheers for listing all of these! Some of them might be off though: the Action title from Daedalic should be https://store.steampowered.com/app/1459960/Glitchpunk/ (instead Xenonauts 2 is listed)

I've just downloaded a whole bunch of them, including https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479150/Aeon_Drive_Prologue/ and https://store.steampowered.com/app/1476170/Godstrike/ as well.

As long as I download these demos, do they stay? Or are they limited and they disappear after awhile?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I need some help. I temporarily quit XIV cause I haven't been in the mood to play but I still want the MMO kinda feel. I'm kinda torn between Destiny 2,since I played 1 until I finished Taken King's storyline, or Path of Exile because I've got some broken rear end builds going. Are there any other free to play MMOs I can look at to maybe get an idea?

On a side note, I'm almost finally done with Hitman 1 and even knowing the big reveal, the setup is awesome. I'm hoping Epic gives Hitman 2 away for free so I can keep playing. Alternately, if the developers set up a "you can transfer from Steam\Epic to whatever", I'd buy it when it goes cheap.

Fly, you fool! Take the opportunity to free yourself from MMOs! Ok, joking aside, maybe you can move over to Guild Wars 2 or ESO, as they both have a ton of free core content? Maybe DFO or Vindictus for faster action?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dom is Here posted:

I just finished Dragon Quest 11 and really enjoyed it. First JRPG I've played since I think Lost Odyssey on the 360. Anything recommended on Steam?

Alternatively, I've never actually played Chrono Trigger and have been meaning to. Is the steam version a good enough port for $15?

If you're looking for old school games, I just played FF9 on Steam and had fun with that: no problems with the port that I could see. Has a lot of nice built-in boosters, from simple things like a switch to speed boost (to skip through long animations and such, as well as grinding faster) and turning random encounters on/off, to more complex cheat codes like infinite gil or unlocking all abilities immediately. It's not a perfect fix, but the boosters really helped my impatient self get through some of the archaic design to get to the cool story bits.

Beating FF9 did make me want to consider going back to play FF6, but man, looking at it on Steam gives a really bad impression, what with the really ugly mobile-looking HUD and art. Is there a way to get around that or something? I'm assuming there are mods?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Don't know which part you find fascinating, but I might as well link this (turn subtitles on if you've somehow neglected to learn to speak Russian):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg

Just wanted to say this was a pretty cool video; I didn't expect to watch the whole thing but I got addicted to it. Thanks for linking it!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

PlushCow posted:

I'm playing through Trails of Cold Steel 2 right now and it has a turbo button and I fuckin' love the turbo button, yes let me speed up these trash battles, these slow panning shots, speed my way as I run around a town area etc; every turn-based jrpg really need a turbo button. Getting burned out on battles is the #1 reason I stop playing any rpg.

Trails of Cold Steel isn't a game where I've ever had to grind so that helps but sometimes you just want to get to the dungeon's end boss ASAP.

Good to hear about this: I've been trying to get back into RPGs I always wanted to play and I'm starting to really like the inclusion of cheats like turbo speed (really helped me get through FF9 recently). To hear it's in the Trails of Cold Steel series as well is a nice surprise: I wonder if this is the case more than I originally thought.

Though I do have to say, sometimes I think "well, if you're going to add a turbo button, maybe you should just make battles faster in general so you don't need it in the first place?" It's Spinal Tap's "these go to eleven" all over again. At least FF9 had the excuse that it was put in after the fact, but to have it in the game from the very start...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Making my way through Halo. It's a nice historical trip into early console FPS, but...

...please tell me The Library was the worst of it; please tell me I don't have to suffer through any more levels like that...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

As mentioned earlier, I'm definitely interested in CrossCode myself with the whole cool demo and 50% currently. Was curious about what the core game is like, however. From what I understand, I'm definitely getting a Zelda/Secret of Mana vibe, but it sounds like it might be a much more heavy focus on really long and complex puzzles and dungeons than you'd ever see in those? Is the combat very cool and challenging as well, or is it just kind of token or sparse in comparison to the puzzles? Was also curious about the story and whether it goes to some deep and unique places or if it's just another very anime story about a virtual world with quirky characters we've seen so many times before. Is there a comparison to another game that would be apt? I'm kinda of getting an Alundra vibe from general impressions in terms of puzzle dungeons and Zelda feel: does that sound right? At 10 bux, I'll admit that I feel silly not just picking it up immediately, but I'm trying to be cautious with my backlog pile, haha.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I found the central premise of CrossCode a decent enough hook, but then after 5 hours of MMO-inspired padding to make the MMO theme park setting more authentic I was loving done.

Ceyton posted:

The combat is good, it's pretty much everything you'd hope a modernized Secret of Mana would be. However, the dungeons are very puzzle-heavy and also 2-3 times longer than they should have been IMO. Zelda or Lufia would be the nearest comparisons I think. Unless you're really into those kinds of puzzles, I'd recommend playing with assist mode on the entire game (there's no penalty for using it).

The main story is also pretty good but very back-loaded. Obviously there's something big going on behind the scenes and the PC is special in some way, but the first third/half of the game is pretty much just "playin' an MMO with your buds".

Argh, that's kind of what I was worried about : even more so than the dungeons and puzzles being a bit too overbearing, I was worried that the story would lean way too heavily on the MMO setting, wasting time with dumb quirky MMO jokes instead of focusing on a potentially unique conspiracy story and such. Basically, it sounds like it is suffering from terminal lampshading, aka ye olde "haha aren't MMOs so silly with all the boring kill/fetch quests? anyway, here's a bunch of boring kill/fetch quests". Hrmm, I guess I'll think about it: usually I try to avoid games I have to power through to get to the good stuff, but then again, I might have more patience than I think, what with playing games like Death Stranding and such.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If there is a criticism I can give, though, it's that CrossCode is a game you can never really shut your brain off for. That may or may not be an issue for you, but if you're expecting a game like Link to the Past or Secret of Mana that you could basically finish in your sleep, CrossCode ain't that. Combat will kill you if you're not paying attention (though the penalty for death is basically nil, you respawn at the room entrance), puzzles take actual brainpower and reflexes to complete, and exploring the overworld to reach chests requires you to pay attention to the terrain in a way that most games don't. CrossCode is a drat good game, but it's not something you can put on a podcast for.

CrossCode doesn't really pull that sort of lampshading. It makes references, sure, but it never draws attention to them and they're usually pretty clever IMO. And Lea's story basically has nothing to do with the MMO aspect of the setting.

Ok, well that's good to hear, I definitely do like a game to be very challenging, so hearing that it goes against traditional Zelda dungeons and bosses that never go beyond very simple puzzles/patterns utilizing whatever item you just got in the dungeon is a huge plus in my book. From what I understand, it sounds like the dungeons are just way more involved than usual in both a good way (they have way more complex and interesting puzzles) and a bad way (they end up overstaying their welcome if you try to beat them in one sitting, which is something a person might expect from other games). I mean, I loved playing Doom Eternal on Nightmare for how it practically fried my brain on how much brainpower it demanded to stay alive. For 10 bux, I think it's worth the risk to see if I like it so I'll pick this up.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

lol poo poo

Is there anything that makes your character faster and more agile? I don't think the PC levels, they just find better stuff?

I'll get used to the combat. There's a lot to take in though, with the crafting and such.

To be fair, when they say that hammer is fast and mobile, it's very understandable that it is not easily apparent. Most people when they are first learning would likely run around and use the basic attacks, which are slow vertical swings that thud into the earth and keep you planted where you stand: not the best first impression. When people say it's mobile, they are most likely speaking of the charge-up attacks: you can charge when you're moving and do all sorts of fancy stuff, like the dashing uppercut with a level 2 charge and a spinning cyclone with a level 3 charge and when you're sliding down a slope, a rolling sonic somersault, and so on. These moves are hidden behind a more complex charging system (and a prereq of doing a power charge as well to help) so it's definitely not immediately apparent.

Similar things happen with the lance: it can actually be incredibly mobile and people love to say that, but when you first use a lance and you don't know it and aren't familiar with the entire moveset (and it's various dashes and cancels and such), it's very easy to think of it as way too heavy and clunky to utilize, what with it's slow movement speed and boring pokes.

Basically, it's good to know, as people can say, that a lot of the weapons are a lot better and more mobile than immediately apparent. But it can be very confusing since the movesets are incredibly deep and complex: definitely consider spending a lot of time in the training room, checking the hunter's notes and looking at the top right corner to see move inputs and where moves can branch as you do them. Also, since you're at the start and fighting small, weaker and more agile monsters, maybe consider using something like the sword and shield or dual blades, or bow: weapons that are more immediately fast and agile in easier to understand ways. In my playthroughs, I usually like only utilizing the more heavy weapons as the monsters get, well, heavier as well: they shine better that way for me.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Different strokes for different folks I guess! Gimme that "boss arena". Few things less fun than failing a hunt when you're new because you couldn't kill it in time after struggling to find it in the first place.

For me personally, while I do adore the more simplified flat arenas in the old Monsters Hunters, I quite like all of the new World environments: lots of interesting verticality and layouts and environmental hazards you can either avoid or utilize for your benefit. The big exception for me is the Ancient Forest: I hate it and feel it's wayyyy too maze-like and overly large, with tons of areas that are too small and thus are either inaccessible for big monsters to fight in, or when they do literally squeeze in, they take up the whole space and can't move properly while the camera goes nuts. Forest definitely felt like a place that looks beautiful for the trailers and the whole hunting aspect, but it just had way too much getting in the way for me. Other annoyances were the huge mountain tops on Elder's Recess and the Coral Highlands: such a pain when a monster just flies away to the top and you gotta climb climb climb.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 5, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- is coming out of early access at the end of the month, and the price will probably be going up. They're running a 20% off sale for the next couple days, so if you're thinking about picking it up now is a good time.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking into the new post, it looks like they are actually offering a combo deal for both Record of Lodoss War and Touhou Luna Nights: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20245/Team_Ladybug_Bundle/ $20 in total, might just go for that while I'm at it! (unless people have some bad things to say about them which I'm not aware of)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Papercut posted:

TL2 might have the most boring itemization, active skills, and skill tree of any ARPG I've ever played, and I've played a fair number of them.

I was actually playing Torchlight 2 recently, trying to remember why I quit the first time, and while I didn't find it that bad, there certainly was some boring stuff like you say, though it might more that I realized it wasn't the type of game I was in the mood for anymore.

As a continuation to that: this might be a bit of a weird question, but I was curious if there was a Diablo-like, but instead of relying on gear and potions to tank unavoidable damage, it relied more on using interesting abilities to dodge/avoid telegraphed attacks? Basically I generally like a game to factor in skill more than gear, but with most Diablo-like combat being reduced to face-tanking either melee blows or fast/tracking projectiles to the face, it'd be nice to see some different implementations. I've had some minor luck with games like Grim Dawn and Path of Exile: sometimes you can find skills that teleport you or dash about in a token attempt to help avoid damage, but it's never the primary focus. I know the easy answer is to instead play something like Dark Souls and all the various soulslikes that cater to that style of combat, but I was curious if there was one that did it from that iconic top-down perspective with all of the other trappings?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 11, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Console D3 added a roll on the right stick you can use for that but blizzard is stupid and didn’t port it to the PC version.

Yeah, I did enjoy my time with Diablo 3: Demon Hunter kiting and dodging around felt pretty good (and Thorns Crusader was a good laugh). I feel really lucky that I got it on console, played coop, and only got into it once Reaper of Souls and all that fixed everything.

Impermanent posted:

end game path of exile bosses are exactly that these days - you can possibly build to tank but its far more efficient to build for damage and dodge.

I was playing a Duelist for a bit and did get some skills like this drill dash slash or something that made it pretty mobile and fun: is there maybe a better class for more mobile/dodge/skill gameplay, or would they be the best and I should continue with them?

Blattdorf posted:

If you're going to play Torchlight 2, play as the Engineer. The skills flow really well and it almost makes it a pure action game.

Hmm, is there a specific build I should be going for with them? I was interested in the class and was trying 2H melee but it fell into the usual monotony for me: just standing there trading blows with monsters, chugging potions. Maybe I should use 1h/sword or cannons, or maybe playing it wrong? Is it the case where all of the fun skills are at the end of the tree aka end game? That was kind of my annoyance with it: the feeling that it was taking way too long to be able to see the skills, and experimenting was tricky with the annoying respec.

OhFunny posted:

Victor Vran has dodge and jump gameplay.

Oh gods, I've seen this recommended before, but I got my Vs mixed up: thought people were recommending Van Helsing. I'll look out for Victor Vran.

Palpek posted:

Apart for all the already mentioned ARPG titles I was pleasantly surprised by Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr + Prophecy. It's not some groundbreaking game, it's just solid overall (get it on sale) but it has some interesting concepts and might be the only actually successful sci-fi take on the genre.

Oh yeah, was really interested in this one for the theme, but the price and the initial reviews which lambasted it (unless I'm mistaken) turned me off from it. It seemed to have some interesting mechanics like cover and unique classes: what were the big take-aways for you that differ it from the rest?

As everyone has said, yeah, if I do want skill-based combat, it probably would be the best to look into stuff like Nioh, The Surge, Y's and various roguelikes like Curse of the Dead Gods and Hades and such. I understand it is a little bit of a weird demand: top-down ARPGS are typically all about the loot, so it makes sense that they'd make the combat largely determined by it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Since it was mentioned recently in the thread: the Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr game is on sale at the moment, 75% off (and they have a bundle with all the dlc and such). I'm in a top-down ARPG mood so I was planning on picking this up since it was recommended and looks unique, but I wasn't sure since I haven't heard much else and it seemed a bit mixed for initial reviews. Any more impressions on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Been playing Children of Morta lately. While I do enjoy the story and the way the gameplay mechanics are wrapped together with the themes (encouraged to level up the whole family, family events happen in the dungeon and back at home, coop actions, etc), I'm really having a rough time with the combat/gameplay. Was wondering what other people's impressions were since I'm surprised it is so universally loved.

Not only can the environments and fights end up being very repetitive, taking place over similar looking areas with a low amount of enemy variety, but the lack of feedback really makes the combat feel so lackluster. There's practically no difference between your character slashing at air and making contact with an enemy, and that not only makes it incredibly unsatisfying to fight (c'mon, I want to hear my giant hammer THUNK into an enemy, not just hear it whooshing around), but also makes it difficult to confirm if you've hit the enemy. Similarly, it can be difficult to tell if you've been hit as well: the enemies barely have telegraphs and you can end up taking a ton of damage in an instant without even realizing you've been hit so hard. I'm not asking for bombastic screenshake and freeze-frames for hits, but jeez, I've love if they put some more sounds and enemy grunts in the game to give it some life and information.

Because of all these issues, it felt like the game pushed me towards playing in a very scaredy-cat way: since there's not enough feedback to play aggressively, I ended up constantly kiting and running around while waiting for cooldowns to spam them down. While it does add a bit of a strategic element to it, and not every hack and slash needs to have you as a whirlwind of death, it does feel very much bad to play for me, like I'm only getting skilled at gaming the enemy AI and fighting in a cheap way just to keep myself alive (classic case of optimizing the fun out of the game).

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is still alright and I enjoy the story events and such, but man, I've almost given up on it a few times from how much the dungeons drag on.