Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Where does one get good fresh slightly chewy cheung fun steamed rice rolls, that ISN'T a sit down dim sum "cart only, no ordering allowed" restaurant, in Melbourne?

And if it has to be from a yum cha cart place, any recs? Went to a restaurant in the west and they wouldn't let me order any, I had to hope the cart with it came by before running out and it never did.

I've had a few banh cuon which are great but I'm after Chinese style with char siu and the sweetened soy sauce.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah there's tons of red and blue flags on cars here in Melbournes west and I thought it was gonna be sov cit anti vax fascist poo poo but no apparently it's a fijian political party or some other Pacific island nation thing?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Elissimpark posted:

Its been years since I've been there, but maybe the dumpling house in Market Lane in the city? I can't remember the name though.

Hutong? Don't appear to have cheung fun. It requires a specialized piece of cooking equipment so not everyone does it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

No politics itt please you'll be in big trouble with the thread's cops.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Guy with three posts: hey guys please respect tbe theead culture

Isaac posted:

about politics - dont even hint at it or you'll be in big trouble

Why am I not surprised that Australians think cops and their rules are "culture"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Fuckin annoying that my surname .au was already taken but com.au is available. Need to register an abn just for a vanity email is bs, but funny that some other dickhead is just as lazy as me probably runs in the family.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Enjoying the 2 pairs of rainbow lorikeets having fights over the grevilleas next to my new place. Still, better than the 20 cockatoos that used to visit every year at the house when I was growing up. gently caress mozzies though god drat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah you can't be fired for no reason (someone else annoying your boss isn't a reason).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Right I've just about had it with climate change. There's now a loving dim sim shortage because of the flooding. gently caress

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Infinitum posted:

Try to identify the alpha dog

Iirc 'alpha' dog is a myth.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I want a dog but I'm single and don't work from home :( My last 2 office jobs in the USA had bring-dog-to-work policy which afaict isn't really a thing here? Also bar dogs are cool, pubs should let dogs inside. If they're properly trained bar dogs, they have to stay on the stool.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 3, 2022

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't think I could adopt a young dog and then immediately leave it on its own in a new house for 10 hour stretches. That's not how I want it to go, anyhow.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

EoinCannon posted:

Can't do the work Christmas do tomorrow cos missus' work is a plague pit and now she has covid, so I'll prolly test positive soon.

There's data that indicates you a. Might not catch covid even if you do nothing to mitigate and b. You probably won't pop positive on a RAT even if you're symptomatic.

Tl;Dr you gotta assume you're positive but your body might not actually pay a huge toll!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

EoinCannon posted:

Interesting, I had it 5 months ago and it was very mild, be interesting to see how this one develops. It's a bit annoying cos I have no symptoms and am testing neg so it's a temptation to go to the function but obviously I'd be pissed off if a colleague did that.

Knowing things is bad for mental health

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A neighbor near my new home swung by and knew my name already. They're going to give me a list of neighbors and their numbers. There's a street Christmas party next weekend they're going to block off the street. She asked if I had any objections, wasn't very amused when I said heavy metal band practice was at the same time.

Wondering if I can massage this into dog sitting for a future dog.

Her name is Karen.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Some anon already brought my bins in for me 24 hours after pickup (I finish moving in this weekend). No passive aggressive notes so I think they're gonna be cool.

My other neighbors appear to be 4+ pair of rainbow lorikeets fighting over 3 large grevilias. Noisy bastards, nbn tech called me one afternoon from the pit and it's all I could hear.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
gently caress I hope so the neighbor two doors down is a hella fit mid 30s kiwi with 3 cats and cat tatts and appears to work in a trade.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Laserface posted:

They're gay fyi

Ranter posted:

gently caress I hope so

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

EoinCannon posted:

I have a stubborn foot injury that has stopped me running for the last few months so I've been on the rowing machine 6 times a week and I've never been fitter and have lost some body fat and now have a 6 pack. I miss getting out in the sunshine every day though

I don't believe you

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Laserface posted:

The only time I have ever questioned my offices 'no dresscode' policy is when I saw my manager come in wearing Chunky DC skate shoes and cargo shorts that nearly touched his shoes.

No wallet on a chain? Fired.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I was seconds away from posting “ITT we rewrite Bond to be australian” cause OHMSS is on tv, but i googled ol George Lazenby and it turns out he’s a oval office and now i’m not in the mood

Good news. Everyone is a oval office. Except Hugh Jackman he's perfect. I will not be reading any replies ty.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Sam neil is definately ours i dont care if he fucks sheep hes got a lovely collie

Sam Neil doesn't understand why other countries are still racist because NZ isn't any longer. Lmk if you care enough for me to post the source.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's the Aussie equiv. of Andor though

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

kirbysuperstar posted:

Speaking of, what's a decent slow cooker if I want to shove a curry on in the morning so mum doesn't have to worry about dinner every day after she gets back from work?

I currently have an active Choice subscription. Do you want ONLY a slowcooker, or a decent multi cooker? e.g. pressure + slow. Personally having used an instapot and a traditional crockpot brand slowcooker, I'd go for a multi. Taking up space for 1 single purpose is a waste unless you have MASSIVE amounts of storage and really dgaf and will never pressure cook, ever. Either way lmk and I'll post what Choice reckons.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah, combo sounds like a good idea

Here ya go DM me if you want more

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Airstream Driver posted:

I've got a Breville fast slow pro and it's awesome. Bit spenny though.

Yeah according to Choice breville seem like the go-to

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lolie posted:

I think I paid around $80 for my multi function cooker way back when but you can get them in Kmart and Big W these days. Don't get one that's too big because there's a minimum amount you need to put in them.

Priced low to high:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
electric pressure cookers are worth it even if you only ever use it to make chicken stock in 30mins with your coles chook carcass. It's far far FAR more efficient than a gas stove top simmer.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thanks muchly!

np remember this when they start probing me for politics

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is the growing and production/extraction process more regulated in Australia than California? Like is it possible to know that a particular product was grown without weird chemicals to make the flowers larger/quicker? Or is it just a Trust Us thing like in the US?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
For me, it's important to know what regulations and guidelines are being followed. Because this is a drug that's being extracted from a plant and from what I saw in the day there's a fuckton of chemicals being used to make the plants grow faster and flower bigger. If the thc is extracted and therefore skips these chems ala edibles, cool. If I'm inhaling it though, yeah nah. That's the only reason I asked about regulation. I'll probably just grow my own for edibles.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Non Compos Mentis posted:

all the vegetables just touching the trolley bother me

Yes I agree, the veg that was trucked in to a market open shelf only gets dirty once it's lifted off the shelf and put somewhere else. It doesn't get stuff on it before that time, via magic. This magic stops the stuff from other shoppers trolley handles and hands when they're picking through the veg. I never wash veg before eating.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Which is better, daytura or salvia?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Welp, got Covid again. Starting my xmas holidays a week early, not gonna earn the money I needed to get through the shutdown. How good is that?!

Same. Way worse this time, currently on day 2 of neverending fever. But I thought Australians were getting paid even if they had a casual job?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wtf, gently caress scomo. I don't care if I get probed that's hosed

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll need to be more specific, Scummo's done a lot of cooked poo poo.

Helping workers when they get sick in a pandemic

Ranter posted:

Same. Way worse this time, currently on day 2 of neverending fever. But I thought Australians were getting paid even if they had a casual job?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

that got scrapped because covid is over lmao (not lmao)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought rats had short expiry dates anyway. Also rats are great at giving false negatives, especially when your symptoms are mild. Mine are coming back positive rn but I had a fever, aches, congestion, no smell, low sp02, elevated HR and a cough. Day 4 and fevers gone but everything else still sucks.

Got a woolies delivery, they had rats 50% off

Edit: the 50% off rats from woolies were manufactured January this year and expire in less than 30 days lol. Tried one, came up positive. The prior tests I took were more recently made and from my local pharmacy.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 19, 2022

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This morning I farted, and cried with joy. For I could smell it, and it was rank.

Covid sucks and not being able to taste food or smell for a week was brutal on my mental health.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That's pretty cruel. Is he old enough to quickly realize if they have a box then its a prank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Nam Taf posted:

Nah gently caress adding vinegar to poached eggs, I don’t want them tasting like vinegar.

Grab a sieve and crack the egg into a small bowl. Then tip it into the sieve and gently roll it around. Scrape the underside of the sieve to remove any loose water/wispy bits of egg white (the newer the egg, the less there is of this - why new eggs are best for poached). Then tip the egg out and back into a small bowl. This will get rid of most of the part of the white that goes wispy and everywhere.

Yeah nah this creates more dishes unnecessarily. And for Christs sake don't forget to immediately wash the sieve/strainer or keep it soaked lest you enjoy cleaning dried egg out of sieves.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 23, 2022