Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm assuming by having large groups of science type people thinking and experimenting with the technology for large periods of time in safe lab type environments and test fields.

Or asking their local god entity for one really, really nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Planks were just invented as a unit of measurement because science people were just cranky they couldn't use the imperial system of measurement with all it's cool whimsical sounding made up measurement names anymore!

Science people like whimsy too you know. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

One thing I like about Lower Decks is - at the start Ransom et all didn't know who boimler was, but a few episodes he was complimenting him for handling the Tendi-scorpion situation well and it seemed like he selected him for that other mission because he 'thought he was ready', they're slipping in that the LD crew are getting noticed for their good work. It's nice, although I do hope it means Boims is going to move back up to Lt Jr and they're not gonna be stuck as ensigns just for the sake of the premise.

Particular like it being a very "un-heroic" solution. Scene showed both Ransom and Bomiler in a pretty good light.

But as usually the real hero of the piece, the tireless overlooked, overworked, replicator got no credit for it's vital role. :(

Screw lower decks crew, when are we gonna see a replicator promoted to captain, starfleet? WHEN, STARFLEET, WHEN!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Commenting on current day issues -corporate trainings created by people with no real life experience in what they're training- through a future lens.

This is sci-fi!

Loved the bomilier stuff. Showed him as a hyper competent perfectionist and, you know, why that isn't great. Mates with people like that. Even comically exaggerated, still hit uncomfortably close to home.

Also much needed replicator lore. Finally so many extremely pointless arguments settled and now and forever more, there shall obviously be peace and harmony amongst star treck fans!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

If they ever pull out another EMH it should be another C-List celebrity stunt cast like Andy Dick on Voyager.

I mean that could work, but if their is a reason to cast Picardo in something like, why would you not?

This is also true of Combs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also it shown many times that plenty of star fleet offices are talented at just a whole bunch of things. In a time critical, It does make some sense in some situations to give it to another office who is already up to speed with the situation then bring up someone who is more qualified but would take a bit of time informing them on what exactly is going on.

Now obviously it would be better to have the most -or at least one of the most- qualified person to take over be on the bridge already, but that's another issue entirely.

Also unfortunately Troi seems to been written as not only not talented in many things, been not even that talented in one thing. Still don't understand how the writers could write Guinan so well and her so poorly (I mean having an incredibly talented actor like Goldberg play her helps, but the writing for the charter is still far, far better, especially in how she councils people).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm the goon who looked at the second image and thought "Is she holding small packs of Doritos? Is that a Doritos t-poo poo?"

Wait, have they been flying in a giant Doritos this whole time!

First they change Klingons to look like space orks, then they change a Doritos to look like a starfleet ships!

New Trek stop randomly changing the look of everything, I don't like it!!!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

That font is extremely 1989 and I’ve always had a soft spot for that era of graphic design.

The late 80's, ah they had some rocks you could climb a musical montage too.

Unlike the boring far to serious rocks we have today. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shax is good people.

Great episode. So how many more this season... like 20... 30 right? right????

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Trekcore are usually really good at getting the videos.

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1447257788418347016

An entire minute of Janeway and she didn't genocide any alien species or drink a single sip of coffee. What did they do to poor Janeways character :(

But yeah, tone and Dialogue is all a bit kiddish for my taste, but as it's like literally a cartoon aimed at children, that's all completely fine and good. Looks like they at least put effort into it, so good for them. Hope it does well. Most children sci-fi is complete garbage, so be good if they can make something quality.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Eh, I think it's more that they're positioning Disco as the "The Universe is being threatened and we're sending our best special effects at it" show. It's more of a show tuned towards the movie side of Star Trek rather than the TV side of Star Trek.

Lower Decks is clearly the grungier, DS9-like, TNG-continuity show and the comedy show. If done correctly SNW could be the more episodic style, TOS like show. I guess prodigy is the all-adventure kids show.

I don't know what Picard is, really.

Yeah Picard and Disco seem to be the most similar, and I see a reason for one, but not both. With Lower Decks, SNW, Prodigy, and Disco, you have quite a bit of Star Treck but aiming for very different tones, which is smart if you want to avoid fan burn out. I think there trying to make Picard the more thoughtful prime time continuity Star Trek and Disco the more action Hollywood prime time continuity Star Trek but, yeah that didn't really work out that way.

Does makes sense though. Picard just, you know needed to actually be written like that. All the pre-press made it seem like that was there aim though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I still can’t believe vocal fan support willed an entire Star Trek series into existence.

Tinkerbell was right. Well I'll be damned.

Really feel bad for mocking all those kindergarten kids now for being gullible idiots. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eimi posted:

Honestly Disco is possibly redeemable if they you know didn't threaten to blow up the universe every season and let characters who aren't named Michael Burnham breathe.

As many people have mentioned, it has many great characters and actors, it's production values are generally top notch, and occasionally has some reasonably interesting ideas. It's entirely redeemable, it just needs to slow the gently caress down, and as you say, not threaten to blow up the universe every season.

I mean as far as characters go Stamets, Tilly, Reno, and Saru are all up there with the most fun and interesting characters out of Star treck main crews, and Burnham's fine when she hasn't had the seventh billion major life/universe changing revelation happen to her in an episode.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Delsaber posted:

I thought Michael was legit good when she was just chilling and joking around with Book and his cat.

Same. I mean one of the reasons that O'Brien must suffer episodes didn't make his character into a dour mess to watch is because there were plenty of scenes of him just chilling out having fun, as well between them. I think along with Bashiar we got shown him just chilling out off hours the most.

In short discovery really could use a quarks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Season 3 will feature an entire episode devoted to explaining that boot.

Honestly I could see that as an episode. Mostly if it's just one or two of the actual lower decks crew obsessing over it, while bridge crew are off in the background doing you know actual starfleet stuff.

At least four of the four main lower decks crew have been shown to be pedantic nerds about one thing or another.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Oxygen is the third most abundant atom in the universe, a distant third after hydrogen and helium.

Space pirates stole it all.

No I will not be taking questions.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

I hope it's not a year long wait.

Alas probably going to be about that. Have a season each of Discovery, Picard, Prodigy, and Strange new worlds to get through first. Pretty sure none of them are going to be airing concurrently -except maybe prodigy?- and animation takes a bit of time anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it aired about exactly the same time next year.

Seems along time away now, but better then rushing it I guess.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Quinton posted:

And, of course the ominous extra memory he discovers...

My god, no pips! Is there a rank below ensign, and are they trying to take over starfleet!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Epicurius posted:

Does a shuttlecraft have the tractor beam power to stop a starship, though?

It's a Captain yacht, which although just meant for diplomacy, I could imagine being pretty tricked out cos, you know, that just seems like the type of thing Starfleet would do. I mean they know at some point it will inevitably get up to shenanigans.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

The Cerritos is literally designed to tow ships larger than itself. That's why it has its registry and name plate on backwards. I don't think a tricked out shuttle can duplicate that functionality.

The Cerritos stopped the ship basically instantly. If the captains yatch got there a couple of hours sooner it would have a lot longer to drain the other ships momentum, and once you've drained the momentum if you can apply just a little more force then the pull of the gravity well you could slowly pull it away. Hell even just changing it's angle a bit so it was approaching sallower you could cause it to bounce off the planets atmosphere. I mean that is if it did have a tractor beam. Possibly Freeman had another plan. Or didn't even have a plan and was just going to wing it.

Anyway if she can mastermind the destruction of the Paklads home world, I'm sure she can figure out a bit of ship saving. #FreemanDidNothingWrong

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crusader posted:

didn't even notice the change

It's been a whole season, it's arms got tired :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't get the koala joke!

One day you will!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I feel like Lower Decks will hit us with a genuinely emotional gut punch at some point.

Did you not see the end of season one!!!

Poor peanut hamper :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Uh, peanut hamper was a total jerk, don't feel sorry for them.

Yeah, they could of made admiral :cry:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

J33uk posted:

In short sandwiches are a land of delicious contrast and everyone will tell you the true story of how they were made.

Does the true story involve large flying spaceships for the future?

If so I really want to hear it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah. A couple of those memories are also things I am 100% certain never happened, like I have a very clear one of watching a space shuttle launch from my grandma's porch as a kid. My grandma lives in Ohio, very much not where space launches happen.

Maybe the space shuttle just got confused and forgot where it was meant to launch from?

Dolash posted:

Alternative approach: full-on Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

This would be incredible. I wonder if you would do it with the LD crew done in a TAS style, or just do a pallet swap to make the colours match TOS pallet more closely?

(Oh :(. Just found out Richard Williams died 2019. He was working till the end apparently. Would of loved to of seen him come on and help with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit/tribbles episode. Seems like figuring out how to do that in the most seemless and amazing way, would be the sort of animation challenge he would of loved)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think since the 90s people are so used to postmodern mtv editing and what not it's not such a big thing to just chuck a bit of older material and there, and expect the audience is going to be fine just going with it.

Comedies it much easier, but even more dramatic stuff I think people are mostly fine with everything not being quite the same style.

I mean even back in the day, there was often a mix of studio camera, outdoor film camera, wildly different looking stock footage, going on, possibly with animated opening and closing credits.

If it just happens once it can be a bit weird, but once it's more a style people well generally come on board with it, if it works with the story and isn't too intrusive.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Delsaber posted:

There was someone on that Division 14 ship in the first season who looked suspiciously similar to the Threshold salamanders

Starfleet just never learns :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean if it was a 1st gen experimental ship that went fine, they could of then put the design into production with a few improvements based off what they learnt. After you have better designed ships rolling out, giving the experimental one to cadets to practice on doesn't seem the worst idea if it similar just maybe a bit less refined.

I mean with the timeline that's still pretty tight though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Ok, I have three comments and I'm sorry they're not really related to Star Trek or even this thread.

1: I'm sorry dr_rat, I do not mean this as an indictment upon who you are or what you know, more an indictment upon the educational system that inflicted this upon you. Seriously. I do not blame you at all.

2: I recognize that language evolves and despite my (or anyone else's) beliefs or rigid foundationalism regarding its use, it will change. It will change in ways that I 'approve' of and that I 'disapprove' of, and I have no control over that. And that applies to my own usage, too.

3: Oof.

I'll never stop drunkenly ramblin' 'bout star treck, and you shan't stop me. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're starting a step too far ahead; A pitch can be as vague on-paper as an outline of "Alien kids with a cool/special ship" and the rest gets filled in as it's woven into Star Trek, it doesn't necessarily have to have the whole ship and cast fully designed and ready to drop into the show.

Yep, so many pitches end up nothing like they started out as, and it's often not usually that, that is a very good thing. Many classic movies and shows started with a very different pitch.

xerxus posted:

It's part of Kurtzman's 'strategy' to create different shows meant for different demographics.

And I mean I'm a fan of LD and have high hopes for SNW. If there's five shows going and two of them are aimed towards I like... well good?

Not a fan of a lot of Kurtzman and co's decision, but this one just makes a lot of sense. Much better then just doing the same stuff over and over and burning everyone out. Varieties good and healthy. I mean still wish Picard and Disco were better written though, apparently they do have their audince.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

apatheticman posted:

For Star Trek to be good there must be one sacrifice show.

So can we wickerman one?

You know, for the greater good, better harvest, and all that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eimi posted:

That battle scene is horrible. Why does the Enterprise have all these tube fighters? Like I always disliked the Peregrine or using runabouts in combat and this is just blatantly trying to be Star Wars in the worst way.

Seriously this. Action scenes where it's just a bunch of stuff randomly flying around is boring as hell. Same with shaky cam fight scenes. If you can't tell what's happening it's not exciting it's just stuff on screen. There's seriously so many different ways to do exciting action screens with explosions and what not, without making the screen a god drat mess of randomly moving crap.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tars Tarkas posted:

Voyager had a Betazed navigator who died when they were transported to the Delta Quadrant iirc

What were they gonna do? Apologize to any stars if they accidentally flew into them and hurt their feelings. :smuggo:

You just know the one time they would actually need to do that they would be mysteriously absent.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like a lot of star treck tech the universal translator makes no sense. Even just nuances of regional dialects should screw it up. Like obviously we don't really know how language will evolve with world civilizations with advance space flight capabilities, but from what we do know of language is it's fluid as hell, and can often use very localized word phasing and/or non verbal ques for precise meanings. With language use/meaning also possibly changing in a very localized area within different demographics in that area. This shits hard.

Having said that, the universal language is karaoke, so on first contact they should always just do that. If they did, Dathon could of lived. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Which makes sense. But only if all parts of the worlds are transmitting. Starfleet being known for being the best at senors, and transmissions from planets going back how ever many decades, centuries, millenniums, starfleet sensors can pick up before the signals fade to much, would give a shitload of data.

Although really then they should have a computer that should give them a precise break down of the different cultures and politics going on, on the world they're approaching probably far better then the world themselves knows.

I mean one part of an organization not sharing massive useful information to another for whatever reason, is a thing that happens all the time now... so I guess that makes starfleet more relatable?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Erulisse posted:

Imagine living in a timeline where Star Trek flagshit show is considered too lovely even for netflix.

I mean it has its issues, but pretty sure it was just more they were asking to much money. They have their preferred platform of paramount plus, which means they can probably ask for a fair bit more then they would if they didn't have such a strong fallback, and be not to bothered if their offer isn't taken.

Show has it's issues but as far as I know the audience numbers are still very respectable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks like it will be in production about when season one is expected to be air.

So if they can keep up with the production schedules I guess they will try to just rotate them: Prodigy - Discovery - Picard - SNW - LD (with prodigy changing about a bit, with split seasons and what not.)

Maybe switching in something else for Picard when Stewart decides he's had enough.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh is that what Pluto is? Jeez

Too lovely to be a real planet or a real streaming service?

Like pluto, just the little planet that couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The discovery crew should really just like go another 200 years into the future when the galaxy is all happy and good again, find a nice tropical beach planet and like just chill for a while.

And when ever Burnham even thinks about trying to save the universe again while they're there just lock her in her room with poo poo load of weed and reggae on repeat until she mellows.