Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Sincere question, because I don't know jack about RLM outside of "those guys who did the SW prequel breakdown vids": Why is it every time someone mentions RLM in a thread it ends up in a slapfight about whether or not RLM is good/sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I'm still betting on a third Boimler, if not literally dozens by the time they're done because no point in not taking the gag to extremes.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Epicurius posted:

It's drug planet, though, right? The reason everybody is happy and doesn't want to leave is because the plants have spores that take over your brain. Plus, the crew is mutinying to abandon the ship and go live on the planet. It''s kind of not a good thing.

You say that, but in our modern times if you gave me the option to live a blissed out life in paradise in exchange for having my brain overthrown by a fungus, I would seriously consider it a tempting option.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this is called owning cats and smoking weed all day

Oh. Well, I'm already there and it doesn't seem nearly as fun as I would have hoped. :(

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

ashpanash posted:

But yeah, yeah, I guess I do watch a kid's show. I almost wish I were old enough/wise enough/perhaps oblivious enough that I didn't care what that said about me.

You should be less hard on yourself for the things you enjoy. :(

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Brawnfire posted:

I'm gonna feel so loving old when they reboot /reinvision TNG

I had never even pondered this possibility before and, quite frankly, gently caress you. :(

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Picard S2 is "great" held up to the metric of Picard S1 being one of the only times I've ever used the word "insulting" to describe a piece of media.

On it's own, Picard S2 has been pretty fun and decent so far and will hopefully shape up to be, at the least, Not Bad.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard was really, really terrible

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
LDS has had stronger emotional beats and better pathos than SNW. :colbert:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

SNW sustained a higher quality from the start and also didn't have irony and cartoon humour to use as a crutch :colbert:

I like both, it just took me a few episodes to warm to LDS because I thought it was just going to be wAcKy bullshit whereas SNW got me right from the start

100% same, and I'm looking forward to what SNW accomplishes past season one (which was already a drat good season by most metrics). But while I think both shows have had some wobbly writing from time to time, SNW has tried to hit me while LDS actually did.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think what is most frustrating about Picard in either Seasons is that they have some interesting set ups and the crew is acting their heart out and it all leads to...nothing. Nothing new about the borg, or the federation, or whatever. I don't think Picard is as bad as everyone here thinks it is but it is probably the biggest disappointment because there is something that that could be done with like some focus.

Picard has big "anime filler arc" energy.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Nullsmack posted:

Yeah, I realized after I said it that it's almost been as long since the DS9 episode as it was between TOS and DS9.
DS9 episode was 29 years after the TOS one.
It's been 26 years since then.

fukkin ouch

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Everyone posted:

It's actually the most currently recent post in the other Star Trek thread, but okay.

Kesper North posted:

This man is Naruto running.

The guy in the middle also looks an awful lot like a Naruto:

Also: Dollars to donuts we get a callback to Admiral Goodfriend's weird "Let's ditch the pomp" line that they specifically highlighted when they reveal him as a villain or whatever.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I remember sitting down to watch the first episode of Discovery and getting to the part where they decide to strap a mine to an enemy corpse as a booby trap and I waited really hard for the moment where a character would stand up and say No and This Is Wrong and then they would make a whole little speech about The Starfleet Way and then proceed to not commit a war crime.

I feel like that set my expectations about where they needed to be for the rest of the series.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Prodigy is a little frustrating. On the one hand, it's a genuinely good show. On the other hand, I feel like it's hovering juuuuust outside the range of being a great show, and I don't think it would take much to push it there.

But then, it's also a kid's show, and I am a methuselah, so I can't tell if the little details I think would make it go from good -> great would also push it out of its intended age demographic.

Relatedly, I really loved them dropping the soundtrack and going for stark silence when the first phaser shots went off.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but people weren't just saying it was a bit Star Wars like, lots of people were actually insisting it was clearly a show that had been developed and then reskinned into Star Trek at the last minute.

I still believe that tho??? I'm not convinced it was literally Star Wars but I am pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be a Star Trek show, and was pretty far into development before someone at a network somewhere was like "Hey, you wanna make this a Star Trek show?", and then they turned it into a Star Trek show.

Believing that and thinking that Prodigy is a good series are not mutually exclusive.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

mllaneza posted:

No, but they would have had to extensively rewrite a whole bunch of scripts to turn it into Star Trek. I'm going with the theory that it was Star Trek all along, and only looked like Star Wars so kids who only knew Star Wars could start in a familiar environment and then learn about the Federation along with the characters.

Why do you assume they would have had to "extensively rewrite a bunch of scripts"?

It feels likely that they were in the process of finishing up the pilot of what was going to be a generic "kids find an advanced space ship with a hologram teacher" show when someone From The Network came to them with the opportunity to transform it into a Star Trek show. Re-render a few scenes with some different character models (specifically Janeway, ship exterior shots, and probably edits to Zero), re-record some dialog, edit your script for Episode 2 to reset some plot points and that's about it; the needed changes to add in the "Star Trek bits" to the pilot are overall pretty few and far between.

Adding/removing IP licenses in the middle of production (sometimes very late in the process) isn't uncommon in a number of entertainment industries, and if you have the opportunity it's often very much worth it - even poo poo IPs usually guarantee a certain pre-determined viewer/user base and sales, something like Star Trek is a goldmine and you'd be a fool not to move heaven and earth to make it fit.

Otherwise, if the license was set from the start, there's zero reason why the main cast wouldn't include some kind of recognizable/iconic Star Trek species; there is no way in hell CBS marketing wouldn't have made sure there was a Ferengi or a Vulcan or a Borg or some kind of character that visibly screams "Hey, this is Star Trek!" when plastered on a cereal box or whatever. Swap out what was likely originally a generic "hologram character" for Janeway, though? Instant Star Trek, and marketable to boot.

I'm also willing to bet that the Diviner wasn't supposed to be a recurring character, but they had an opportunity to cast John Noble in the role (likely due to landing the license), and hit the reset button in Ep2 to keep the character around/active.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

LividLiquid posted:

I don't follow you here. They would have included a Star Trek race had it been Star Trek, but the actual Star Trek person doesn't count? Neither actor nor character?

If they could've re-modeled and animated and recast the hologram, they could've changed the species of one of the characters.

I'm pretty sure they were always making a Star Trek show and knew that from the start.

Consider screen time and value for money; the hologram doesn't have as much screen time or speaking lines as the rest of the cast in the pilot, making it both the easiest switch and for something that's not only recognizable, but an already established character. Doing this would mean they no longer "have" to include a recognizable alien in the main cast from a marketing standpoint.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
quote =! edit

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

no, please stop :(

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Gonna take the outside bet and put my money on Worf. He'd get to say the line, and that's nostalgia gold baybee.

I loving hate myself, so I'll be along for at least part of this journey into utter dreck.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

TerminalRaptor posted:

It blows my mind that they wrote that the last three Enterprises together have a service-life less than the original's.

To be fair, considering the wide array of utter horseshit we've watched at least 3 of the Enterprises go through on a weekly basis, it's amazing Starfleet isn't up to the Enterprise ZZ by now.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Seasons 1 and 2 of Picard managed to surprise me in new and consistently disappointing/horrible ways, so I'm not even going to try to guess what S3 is going to inflict on us.

Outside of my earlier bet that Worf dies, I'm sticking to that one.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Gresh posted:

I won't stand for the RLM slander up in here

Yes, but are you sitting for it?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Adding my own dumb nitpick for the episode into the pile: The Titan's doctor shoulda smacked the utter poo poo outta Riker for trying to force her patient awake. :colbert:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

SpeakSlow posted:

That Season 1 finale did everything right.

I stand by No Small Parts being not only one of the best Star Trek episodes of all time, but also a contender for best episode title. :colbert:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
It's a shame it feels like Picard and Discovery get most of the attention, because between SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy, it really isn't a bad time to be a gigantic loving nerd person who enjoys Star Trek.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Also, seriously, give Prodigy a watch some day. It's still a smarter show than Picard.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
My thing about Shaw is that his behavior does make a lot of sense... outside of the context of him being, not just a captain, but the captain of the goddamn Titan.

Like, he's obviously got some deep-seated issues and with fairly understandable reasonings, but how the hell did he get promoted that high up in the first place?

The answers of course being something about Starfleet lowering their standards, or whatever other rear end pull bullshit Matalas would come up with if asked about it on Twitter.

Speaking of: please stop name dropping the Matalas planet system in every goddamn episode. It was begrudgingly and eye-rollingly acceptable all of once.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
The pot line was embarrassing but Shaw's reaction was pretty great.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I'm still in the minority that thinks S1 Picard was worse than S2 Picard.

It's like trying to choose between two equally sized pieces of poop, but the first piece of poop literally flipped me off.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Yeah wtf does "demand" mean?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
re: 'demand': I appreciate the responses, but I'm definitely not any happier for the answers. :(

Khanstant posted:

I'm also on the fence about nuWorf. On one hand, doesn't really act or talk like Worf. On the other, Worf's biggest thing was being a wildly inconsistent dude who sucked but you loved anyway. NuWorf is wildly inconsistent and sucks, so I suppose it's classic Worf in a way.

Everybody keeps talking about how they think Worf's dialog is nailing it but it's not landing for me. All his little quips, asides, and misunderstandings make him sound more like classic Data to me.

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2023

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I want to know where the gently caress they're going to try to go with this whole "Picard didn't have Irumodic Syndrome" thing. Nowhere good and/or satisfying, I'm certain, but I'm really curious exactly what kind of asspull they're going to try to hand us.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Somebody else in the thread mentioned it at the time, but I still really want to know what was up with Riker's "how much of that goo did they pour into you" line. When they showed Vadic in the flashbacks, the framing at the time made me feel like she was actually consuming or somehow otherwise absorbing/over-writing the doctor. But then they cleared that concept away with a weird, quick expositional aside from Picard.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Does anybody else in this thread read the long-running webcomic Order of the Stick? I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

AceOfFlames posted:

Let me guess:

Yknow, I was actually thinking about this

but I like yours better so never mind.

I knew the Data/Lore scene reminded me of something but it took me a few hours to finally figure it out.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
At the risk of giving this show's writing any amount of credit, I really did enjoy the delivery in the "loving solids." line. Amanda Plummer's talent is really the only thing that even came close to making Vadic watchable.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
show bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

nine-gear crow posted:

God, what if that's just like a toggle you can switch on and off from the captain's chair? The Turbolift Activity Log Vocalizer toggle. You just push one button and suddenly every time anyone uses the turbolift the computer announces to the whole bridge "TURBOLIFT ACTIVATED!"

I would 100% toggle that on every time I left my shift rotation.