Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
That loving pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
The backdoor claims are interesting. Most back-haul routing equipment these days has a logging feature in it for "Lawful intercept" of traffic. It's something a law enforcement agency can request with a warrant or subpoena and the telecom operator can go turn it on. All vendors provide this as a feature required by law, but it should only be accessible by the telecom operator locally, not by the law enforcement agency or the original vendor. It seems that Huawei equipment may have maintained the ability to access this feature remotely from China without authorization from the service provider.

Of course this is a case, like with most network backdoors, it is impossible to tell malice from incompetence by just looking at the technical implementation of it unless someone commented their code, "Secret illegal backdoor here".

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Media Bloodbath posted:

It's quite delusional to think that something like this happens out of pure incompetence.

While this may be true, you still have to prove it. I personally don't feel like we should abandon the best parts of our legal system just because it can make life easier for bad actors.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

one of the kids i tutor asked for tips on making pizza (cuz im italian) so i talked about seasoning the crust, flavoring the oils, that kind of thing, and when I asked what toppings they were thinking of, they said vegetables. So, I talked about making sure to oil the vegetables so they broil instead of burn in the oven. The veggies she was thinking of were sweet corn, potato, onion, and shrimp.

Potato of the right kind, sliced thinly enough caramelizes well in a pizza oven and makes a decent topping. Corn and mayonnaise though are verboten.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Despera posted:

Im not going to pretend if the NSA told some tech company to bend the knee they wouldn't do it. Huewei though is basically another department of the CCP. The amount subsidies the average chinese companys get from the goverment is absurd.

While it's true that most companies probably would most of the time, they still tell the NSA off from time to time and the NSA often can't compel them. That's why the NSA was going through all the trouble of intercepting Cisco routers in shipping to install backdoors on them years ago. Of course to many people, this is totally equivalent to Huawei building backdoors into their firmware at the request of the CCP.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

BrainDance posted:

It's still really, really bad and we don't have to defend this in order to condemn what China does.

I don't think any of these points (if they're true, I doubt Fojar's "being spied on by the US isn't really all that big a deal since we're allies and cooperate with them anyway" argument is really what's going on) are going to convince too many people lol. If anything this kind of thinking opens up a lot more holes in an argument than just condemning all kinds of spying.

I'm not defending anything here. What the NSA did was hosed up and did long term possibly irreparable damage to world relations and American manufacturing.

I'm just saying that there is a difference between a government doing spycraft and a company in a totalitarian government that must be complicit in order to exist.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Akratic Method posted:

Does America even have any outstanding territorial disputes?

Technically, the US has an ongoing territorial dispute with Canada over an uninhabited island near Maine.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
It seems a lot of people in here don't know much about 5G or what it actually is. That's ok, most politicians pushing it don't have a clue either (see the self driving car comments).

5G is just a collection of standards so that when all the carriers roll out their next set of infrastructure upgrades it all plays nicely. 90% of 5G that is planned for rollout in the next 5 or so years is going to be FR1 under the 5gNR standard. It's basically the same thing as LTE-A which is what 4G is but they improved the back end routing and logic to reduce latency on the network by a lot. This means that all the crowded LTE bands in high traffic areas suddenly get a big capacity boost and outside of those areas you'll notice that stuff should load faster, though you won't actually have more bandwidth. Consumer side, it's basically it's getting network latency down low enough that you can play a multiplayer FPS on it and not hate yourself. This part of the 5G rollout uses the same frequency bands as LTE and is designed to seamlessly co-exist with LTE networks.

FR2 is the spooky millimeter wave band stuff that shows up in the news constantly. This is the stuff that has very limited propagation range but also extremely high data throughput. It runs at around 40 GHz where FR1 is around 800 MHz.
There are a ton of neat little technological things that running at 40 GHz enables. Stuff like antenna's being so miniaturized you can have entire arrays bonded directly onto a microchip and whatnot. The only country that is seriously rolling out FR2 currently is the US and it is being almost entirely used for backhaul infrastructure for the time being. Basically using steerable arrays between fixed base stations, they can use line of sight peer to peer microwave links on demand when the wired connection gets too full and alleviate network congestion at relatively low deployment costs. I would expect to see FR2 in Japan, Germany, and Korea next then the rest of the EU to follow.

Basically, 5G is just the general infrastructure improvements that are going to be required to keep ahead of the expected demand curve but has the potential to allow some new technologies down the road thanks to improved latency and potentially very high throughput. The hype around it has all been very weird to me.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a lot of instances historically where a technology was developed with no obvious use and then people figured out what to do with it. That's kind of the whole history of the internet, honestly. It's a risky idea since if you do it and no market shows up you wasted a whole lot of time, but it isn't unprecedented.

I mean, this is basically the history of most of the US' major tech breakthroughs. There are a ton of smart people in the world and when you give them access to cheap resources, they figure out how to put it to work. Eventually corporations move in and raise the barrier to entry and then we move on to something else. There used to be a school of economic thought in the US where the best way to make money was to create new markets and capture a tiny share of it via first mover advantage because when a new market emerges, it's so large that any early share of it will be giant as well.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Y'all remember when the country of Europe got all uppity about being the best country so China invented the black plague to put them back in their place?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Ever since China locked everyone up in their houses and stopped working there hasn't been much to discuss :shrug:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I wonder how good the enamelware is.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
What was the source on the literal Muslim slaves being used to repopulate Chinese factories from a few pages back?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Thanks.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

oohhboy posted:

God drat it. As poo poo as the data the CCP put out is that early data before it put it foot down when it came to symptoms, relative%, treatment was good. Papers were put out back in Jan 22nd in lancet about this. The absolute numbers were poo poo as expected. 2 month+ later we still have doctors of all people go bad flu. Grrr.

The Flu kills a shitload of people every year despite the existence of quality vaccines. A Flu was possibly one of the worst pandemics to ever hit the human race killing untold numbers of people. Hell, Stephen King uses the Flu as a boogy man in his end of the world book. A Bad Flu should scare the poo poo out of people.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Japan just announced a little over $2 billion in funding for companies to relocate manufacturing out of China and back into Japan.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/japan-to-fund-firms-to-shift-production-out-of-china

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Actually, I think defunding them outright would be a pretty dumb move - the threat of reducing funding if reforms aren't made would be more effective pandemic or not. Anyway, once the funding is pulled the influence is gone.

It's a stay on funding not actually defunding them. Only congress can do that, whereas the President can hold it up for review for something like a month before it forces a vote from Congress. Of course congress loves nothing more than handing more power to the president at any available opportunity so who knows. Still, as everyone is finding out, having your paycheck delayed by a month or two can be pretty loving hard. At least they managed to specifically call out some of the WHO putting out false information on behalf of China even if most of the talking points weren't stupid.

C'est la vie.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Canada just can't catch a break.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question on China-stealing technology/IP etc.

Given this practice is so widespread and widely known to occur, have their been any famous examples of non-Chinese companies tricking Chinese companies into "stealing" bad/wrong/non-functional tech. in order to sabotage/teach them a lesson?

Even if there had been, I can't imagine either side would admit to it happening.

It's not quiet the same thing but FTDI realized that the numerous Chinese forgeries of their ubiquitous serial USB driver chip were only being built with a partial instruction set and pushed out a driver that specifically called the unimplemented parts. This had the net effect of bricking non-legitimate chips when you tried to communicate with them while working flawlessly with the legitimate ones. It backfired though because a lot of people felt it was malicious by FTDI since it destroyed thousands of hobby projects.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Speaking of space programs

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/large-chunks-of-a-chinese-rocket-missed-new-york-city-by-about-15-minutes/

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
TSMC has announced they will build a new 5nm fab in Arizona. Taiwan and US to great tastes that taste great together.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
And now we know why TSMC is building a fab in the US after decades of refusing to build anywhere but Taiwan.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/us-china-tensions-rise-as-trump-administration-moves-to-cut-huawei-off-from-global-chip-suppliers.html

This would be pretty crazy if it goes through in full effect. It basically would cut Huawei off from nearly every fab in the world.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Dont Touch ME posted:

Elemental mercury is actually safe to drink. Your digestive tract does not absorb it in any capacity, it goes in one end and comes out the other. In that context, it is 100% harmless and non-toxic.

What makes elemental mercury dangerous is the vapors. Your lungs are way too happy to pick up the stomach's slack and absorb the evaporated mercury it's constantly putting off at room temperature. A neat long form party trick is to drink mercury while exhaling and not end up with brain damage 20 years later.

It's the mercury salts that get kind of sketchy. But they're still actually really good disinfectants. They found use in medicine for a very long time because killing an infection now was a desirable tradeoff to suffering madness later. Also you can drop your surgical instruments in them for a while and they're perfectly sanitized. Even prions fear the mighty Mercuric (III) Chloride. Just don't breathe when you're rummaging around the closet where you keep it.

I believe Mercury (I) Chloride was commonly used as a laxative for years.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

Well, Hong Kong is almost certainly going to lose its special trade status now.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-pompeo-declares-that-hong-kong-is-no-longer-autonomous-from-mainland/

It's like the CCP read the fable about the goose that lays golden eggs and decided that the real moral is that the farmer didn't kill the goose hard enough

Well there goes about $66billion dollars in trade.

Shumagorath posted:

I don't see how that hurts anyone but HK citizens and maybe a few non-Chinese banks?

I mean one of the reasons so much trade goes to China via HK is that HK has a fairly functioning legal system and government independent of the CCP. Losing that independence way ups the risk of dealing with China as a western company, so it's not a matter of helping or hurting HK citizens but rather assessing the safety of dealing with China for outsiders. This will almost certainly hurt the HK citizenry.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
"U.K. Plans Citizenship for Hong Kong Residents in Row With China"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-28/u-k-plans-citizenship-for-hong-kong-residents-in-row-with-china

Threatens too is more accurate, but still :allears:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

i would never get food from a white van personally

Some of the best food I've ever eaten came from highly questionable white vans (and the occasional motor home)

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Space pogrom looking good

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

In our part of the woods chinese nationals are effectively soft-banned from a whole bunch of sectors.

You want to do theoretical physics, come on in. You want to work for a PV group? Eeeeh, maybe not.

I've dealt with a lot of universities and it's almost sad when they will have graduate departments that are >90% foreign nationals and the professors can't take on any students for research because it's restricted to US citizens (DoD funded and the like).

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

I just read an article on Vice that the CCP is harvesting Uighur organs to sell them on the black market, especially to the middle east. This sounds pretty outlandish (and Vice magazine may not be the most respectable publication) but given the recent Chinese history, is there any truth to that?
I mean, the concentration camps to which they admitted are already a huge human rights violation that would merit cutting the PRC out of all international relations (same as NK basically) but this is a whole other level of evil :ohdear:

It's not a black market. It's just a market. The rest of the details seems spot on.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

But this is everything we already knew about the new law? Where's the juicy bits?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

eggyolk posted:

Man gently caress the CCP forever.

And of course the US will do nothing to help them, this is absolutely infuriating.

The US has a special set of sanctions to go into place in response to this and the senate is currently advancing a bill to give Honk Kong citizens refugee status in the US. Could be that the only thing the Republican party hates more than immigrants is the Chinese government.

Oberndorf posted:

Fortunately, it's still an H1N1 flu, so there should be some level of vaccine protection. Small favors in an ugly world.

Thank god for that. 2 years ago H3N2 came through here and killed like 10k people in this state.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Not so bad as Wechat which will apparently ban you if your password is offensive to the CCP.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Everyone knows that it's now called, The Virus that formerly originated in China

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

The scandal was that for some reason his dissertation examiners had approved the dissertation and given the guy permission to defend it, but when other peers read it they protested hard enough for the university to reject the defence and decline the doctorate, when normally after you’ve cleared examination the defence is a mere formality. The guy sued, claiming racism IIRC, and the dissertation was approved with the lowest possible score.

It honestly wouldn't be the first time I saw someone get cleared just because they couldn't think of another way to get rid of them.

Der Shovel posted:

In actual real academia? Pretty much nobody*. Even a Master's student in linguistics would probably be able to shoot down this "study" immediately, and with cited sources in a few hours. In Computer Science it's become pretty much an everyday thing for some Chinese think tank to publish a revolutionary new method for doing something that is supposedly 100 times better than the current way, but the theory is so shoddy it doesn't stand up to even casual scrutiny and of course there is never any practical application because surprisingly you can't just make up imaginary bullshit and have it work. We're talking "instead of having cars with 120 horsepower engines. If you were to somehow build 900 horsepower engines that run on three AAA batteries at a fraction of the manufacturing cost instead you would revolutionize the automobile industry" levels of bullshit.

So why do it? Well, for one, in academia publishing is life. You need to publish constantly to qualify for grants, positions, tenure tracks etc. And there are endless conferences and publications, so you can shop your shoddy work around until you find someone to publish it. Because this is an entirely Chinese organization and publication, and working with Chinese academic "standards", it'll be some JUFO level 0 publication with zero credibility in the field, which means nobody will ever bother to read the actual study, much less shoot it down.

Beyond that, it's propaganda. Chinese papers can publish it, as will sites hungry for clicks. "All European languages are derived from Mandarin, Chinese study reveals".

* really nobody, but I am hedging my bets because let's be honest, the standards in academia aren't as high as they used to be, so I'm sure somewhere out there some tankie academic is way into this poo poo.

China produces an absolutely insane number of publications and the vast majority of it is trash even in some of the more respectable journals. It's like they somehow inherited all the bad parts of western academic institutions and then turned it up to 11 before adding their own brand of problems on top. It's sad because there is some genuinely good work they publish as well, but all the cruft just makes anything good hard to find.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t that 6.1 percent in 2019 the growth they report every year that nobody actually believes?

It's also somewhat unlikely that China will be the only country in the entire world that didn't suffer a contraction in 2020. In fact, I'm not even sure that's possible given how import/export dependent they are relative to other countries.
I believe it will be reported though.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Blistex posted:

Xi has done a pretty thorough job of weeding the political landscape in China of anyone who could potentially cause a faction to form around them (Mao was lazy, allowed people to amass popularity, and there were still war heroes in his party who could coast on propaganda stories. Xi doesn't have any of those issues). He's also apparently made it so that good performance and diligent work isn't reported in a manner that would allow someone to make a name for themself, only failure. This way he takes all of the good credit, and offloads all the bad. If something can't be blamed on an external cause (US, Japan, etc.) it will land in someone's lap that doesn't affect him, or helps him. He's also made removing someone who might later challenge him a streamlined process with his anti-corruption office (basically his SS). Xi's "night of the long knives" has been over for a long time, and his consolidation of power was essentially finished when he removed term limits or before that when he rooted out the last of Jiang's loyalists in the military.

If/when China's economy starts to tank in a manner that does adversely affect the populace, you're going to have to reach a point where people (en mass) believe that their futures have been stolen before you could even remotely consider a popular uprising possible. We're talking a massive backtracking of standards of living and a nearly total end to social mobility. Once people start losing things, and it no longer looks like even school is an option for a better life, then maybe someone might have a chance to dethrone Xi.

Anything less than that and Xi will still be able to deflect and make use of scapegoats. As the economy starts to tank, expect to see jingoistic rhetoric, border skirmishes, and more draconian censorship increase.

Xi is almost 70 years old. While he may have the mandate of Heaven in China, I really have to wonder what will happen when he's gone now that power has been so consolidated.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Published today

https://www.state.gov/u-s-position-on-maritime-claims-in-the-south-china-sea/

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
The Dam started exhibiting surface cracking almost immediately after it was built but concerns were dismissed that it was expected and planned for in the design. Those cracks have gotten visibly worse over time but again, same dismissal.

Will the Dam fail? Probably one day. Is it a fools errand to predict when? Also probably. The thing is, without thorough survey of the drat by a team of independent engineers, it's not really possible to say one way or the other what state it's in and it's such a huge status project for the CCP, the results of any such survey would almost certainly be kept entirely within the party. I personally think rumors have gotten started up again recently because of all the rain that China has been getting hit by lately and it is just making people nervous.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Fumble posted:

Like, do people think?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
You just have to get people used to the idea that they're Chinese so that there won't be any complaining when they are helpfully brought back into the empire.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

The mere acknowledgement that India (and if all goes well, the UAE) in particular beat them to Mars is a massive humiliation considering how racist the CCP is. They can process "white countries" beating them but South Asians and Arabs also beating them causes brains to break

India is easily the third best space program in the world right now, possibly the second best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Honestly, what China's space program is accomplishing is impressive. Space is hard, and getting to Mars at all is pretty impressive. A lot of countries beat them there but only 3 (US, Russia, India) can do it all on their own without a partner. That said, I can't root for them when they are coupled to such an incredibly lovely government. Building their launch systems in such a way to endanger people when something goes wrong. Using their space program to advance rocket weaponry in such an irresponsible way. They're stated desire to colonize and capitalize ownership of major celestial bodies. It's a loving shame.