Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What in seven hells is a "neolibertarian"

Girlfriend shouldn't need to use a booster seat if the free market wills it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mehall posted:

I would also be surprised if an independent Scotland included the Queen in any form of the government beyond the most figurehead position possible, which would also make it easy to get rid of the position down the line.

Queen will retain her position as Head of state. There's a whole section about it in the white paper.

Way too many indy voters lean on "Well the SNP are saying and doing X but actually deep down they want Y so it's all ok*

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently the disagreement was on "technical grounds" but I haven't found anything specifying them.

They technically didn't want to do it.

In other Scottish news, lol at the SNP saying ministers can't meet communities surrounding Mossmorran because of SEPA legal action, which was ongoing last year when ministers met with community groups.....

Maybe one day the SNP will take environmental issues seriously and perhaps even stop peat extraction.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 21, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I like that in your desperation to take a poo poo on the Nats you overlook the positive step of giving the vote to refugees at least.

Which is a Green Party proposal so lets all continue to poo poo on the Nats.

Like the Scottish Government is going to give me a massive interest free loan to do unnecessary work to my home but still approved new peat extraction just up the road from me. There's a joined up environmental policy right there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The Scottish Government paid for my parents to do entirely necessary work on their house to improve its insulation & it's loving ace. They are already using less oil. I will defend that one, it's a positive thing on stuff like their house which was built in the 30 when apparently they just built houses with lots of holes just in case you'd suffocate without them.

Our house was built about 1900 so not great insulation wise and using less oil is also something we want to do so looking at getting an air source heat pump and redoing our sash windows, so they'll lend us £15K interest free to do that but only based on my income. Which is great for us, we don't need to save up the money for it. There's also the cashback scheme whereby you borrow £10K and only repay £7500, but again eligibility is based on income. It's very much a middle class benefit like the Cycle to Work Scheme where the more you earn the more you save.

There's also the fact these loans do not payout until after the work in completed which means small companies cannot take them for payment generally. Just a little gently caress you to small companies there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Air source heat pumps are ridiculously expensive compared to air conditioners and it's wild.

Like a heat pump split air conditioner, that will do warm air in winter using the same heat pump tech, and also do cold air in summer, is about £700 + fitting for a similar capacity to an air source heat pump that does hot water and that's it, that costs upwards of £5k + fitting.

I guess it's partly economy of scale, but also partly because to make hot water for heating you've got to make it hot hot, like upwards of 70C, whereas to just use hot air directly for heating then 30-40C is fine to get a room up to 21C quickly, so you can get away with much more off-the-shelf compressors and refrigerants.

Of course, the residents of this isle are allergic to forced air or indoor unit heating, so big whirly water heaters with grants it is.

Air source heat pumps in an Air-Water system still only heat the water up to 50-55c. You're not getting 70c out of a heat pump anytime soon. They also cost more like £10K now but we're hoping to get in on a scheme that might drop it to £8K.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen smaller ones that are about the power capacity of a typical domestic air conditioner external unit for around £5-6k, I guess they're just for doing your shower and hot water, but yeah, ones that replace a whole boiler are even sillier prices at the moment, and if even those are only putting out 50-55C then that's alright for doing the dishes but it's going to mean serious reduction in heat output from your radiators.

Yeah you need low temperature radiators or underfloor heating and potentially zone control so you're only heating the rooms you're in as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like a giant faff tbh.

If I'd need to replace all the radiators, and the boiler, and have half the floor up I'd just cap and drain the lot, run 6" duct down the chimney breast into a vent in each room, and have an air-air heatpump for less than half the price.

The zone control's a lot cheaper on that too.

Except you don't have any hot water? The alternative being heating oil, which is just a fancy name for diesel, which sits in a 1000l tank in your garden. I guess you could have an electric boiler for your hot water but that's a lot less efficient than a heat pump and suddenly you're back up to the same price anyway.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like that they've tried to go for a themed character for each country, and then one character for the whole nation, except for some reason England is represented by the Union Jack instead of the St George's Cross

I mean it totally makes sense given how England and Britain are always conflated

Edit: also just absolute lol at the tagline:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1230243160112148480

It actually strikes me as a cynical jab. "England fights for England, not the UK"

I assume this is because Union Jack is an existing Superhero (though he has no superpowers)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Angrymog posted:

No Excalibur, no sale.

Does anyone else remember a UK-based anthology series by Marvel from the 90s? Had new characters - Motormouth, Hells Angel, some knights, and some mercenaries working for the bad guys.

Knights of Pendragon?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, very illustrative of the right in general, doesn't matter what you do to get power, as long as you have it.

I mean it's working out pretty well for the right in general you have to admit.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Facehammer posted:

The melts and wreckers can either get with the loving program to the point that they fully become comrades, or they can rot forever in well-earned obscurity, imo.

You might find that the reverse happens if it goes they way it's predicted now and the melts win.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Facehammer posted:

Kier Starmer as leader of the Labour Party will not win a general election, and the idea of any of the other useless melts achieving it is laughable.

Centrist liberalism is dead and it's not coming back, no matter how hard those who still cling to it wish it were.

Well I guess that is true after Corbyn did so well at winning elections.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Starmar will do worse.

Who would do better though? I can see why Corbyn is not out and out backing RLB because that would just confirm her as Corbyn 2.0 which wouldn't be winning much either.

Also why the gently caress is Ian Murray still a thing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

He's the man who mended our broken Hearts.

Untrue, he stepped down from his position in Hearts to become an MP.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

LOL loving hell is this a real thing you've actually said? Jesus wept.

Wasn't this exactly the line of reasoning people in this very thread went down when it was said Corbyn wasn't electable? 'But he won the leadership election!' 'But he won his seat every year!' If those argument apply to Corbyn then they equally apply here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Harlequin ladybirds often have an M or W on the pronotum, too. And then there is Cassiopeia. You can't dismiss this all as coincidence! It is clearly the signature of our Almighty Creator, blessed be her name (Muriel).

Harlequin Ladybirds and Rabbits share this weird but interesting thing that they could not survive in our climate until some event which we don't quite know happened and suddenly they could. We had rabbit for 1700 years being very carefully tended to and cared for then suddenly rabbits everywhere.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Starmer will be somewhere between a Milliband and a Kinnock.

Also lol at someone who never joined the biggest hope the left had in the past 30 years smugly sitting out and saying there's more important poo poo to do.

The Labour party is essentially dead in Scotland just now so there's no much to join. We just get to look on in morbid fascination as the party tears itself apart again. Thought that said, most of the posters here seem to be of the opinion that the far left is the majority opinion of the party and it's just some dastardly centrists keeping them down. When in reality the centrists hold the majority within the party. People have all this big talk about kicking out all the melts, but the melts ARE the party in effect.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Well Edinburgh Central isn't like that :colbert:

Not sure I believe a CLP meeting is not horrible.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

No you’re describing the SNP :v:

I’m in scotlab and it’s poo poo and I constantly decry the lack of left wingers in it because my CLP meetings are loving horrible

The SNP have this great luxury of being as centrist as they like as it doesn't matter. They only care about 1 policy, everything else is there to get them into power.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ronya posted:

That's not quite an out-and-out Corbyndorsement but I suppose it will have to do:

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1233285705863958528

e: oh, it is the latest retweet on @jeremycorbyn (2.3m followers vs RLB's couple hundred thousand). Maybe that will move needles?
e#2: also shared on his facebook page couple hours ago, 60,000 views already

Move the needle for who? Like who is a Corbyn supporter and not already voting for RLB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kin posted:

relatively tiny town (Gorebridge)

My condolences.