Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Talking about 50s pedo scifi, John Varley was one of my favorite writers as a teenager when I'd read one or two of his books... I later read a collection of short stories, all of which I think were fine but for the last one, that was about a normal human dude walking into a tribe of people who had no sense of sight or sound. And lo a prepubescent naked girl teaches him the ways of their tribe, mostly through touching. Lots of touching. And later a full blown orgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

As a vegan all I can say is I'm not a woman.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Another one is totally normal guy Robert Heinlein's Door Into Summer, in which he he travels back in time and before going into hibernation he visits an 11-year-old daughter of a business partner at girl scout camp and has her go into hibernation when she becomes an adult so they could bang in the future

The Door Into Summer was the very first grown-up novel I read. I was in fourth grade. At the time I thought it was the sweetest thing.

There was a Japanese film adapted from this story, and they made it... um, slightly less creepy by making the little girl an adopted sister instead of a friend's daughter. And their age gap was reduced by like twenty years.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Scientastic posted:

The best option would be to fake the whole thing and post it anyway, which is clearly what she did, that is the wrong size and shape light bulb for the myth

Also...

I'm not going to try it, but... I don't get it. Why wouldn't you be able to take it out if you can put it through? It must require a specific kind of bulb.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My mother was on probation for 21 years. This is because every time her probation was almost finished she'd get another DUI and they'd restart it. But she eventually was able to behave herself long enough for it to run out.

Anecdotally, I know a guy who torched a Humvee lot way back in 2005. He threw some molotov cocktails and caused a lot of financial damage but nobody was hurt. When he was arrested, the difference between having a life-sentence with a terrorism charge vs. a five-year arson sentence was based entirely on the prosecution's inability to prove the molotovs were thrown or not. Since they could not prove that, the molotovs were not considered "bombs" but instead "incendiary devices," and he was able to serve his time and is today back out and teaching string theory at a university in Florida. But during his sentencing, he had to listen to the jury read aloud every single count.

"On the first count of terrorism, we find the defendant... not guilty. On the second count of terrorism, we find the defendant..."

There were like thirty counts. If for whatever reason the jury did find him guilty on any count of it it would have been a life sentence. It doesn't really make sense why you might have 29 counts one thing but one the other, since the evidence applied broadly to all counts, but juries fuckin can do that poo poo. It just takes one juror with an agenda to turn a five year sentence to a life sentence.

(A life sentence in federal prison is frequently called an LWOP; life without the possibility of parole. It's not the 25 year default that applies elsewhere.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

They convict on the basis of a single juror's say so in your country? hosed up if true.

No, but an unreasonable juror can cause problems. I served on a jury once where this bitter old lady wanted to punish this guy we all knew was innocent. We had to spend extra time "deliberating" for no other reason than to convince this person that the innocent guy does not deserve punishment based on her personal opinion of him.

In 12 Angry Men it took just one juror to change everything. I mean, in that case it's for the better, but it could go the other way.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
As someone generally not all that plugged in to what's going on, my impression was like...

2010: Elon Musk is the billionaire who's going to use his money to actually do things, like with science and poo poo
2015: Elon Musk is a piece of poo poo who's going to use his money to actually do things, like with science and poo poo
2020: Elon Musk is a piece of poo poo
2022: Elon Musk is a piece of poo poo and an idiot

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Regarding the right-wing meth subreddit, I just want to say, I grew up in a meth den and 100% of the meth heads my parents sold to were the most right-wing fascist people I've ever met in my life. I've always associated meth with right-wingers, just not the right-wingers who have money.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Dec 13, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

By now there must be linguists and sociologists out there who have earned doctorates for analyzing the miscommunications caused by the differing renderings of particular emoji on different platforms.

👏 Hmm... it doesn't quite show up the same here, but what had to be explained to me was the hands with little droplets around it was not supposed to be "wet hands" or "washing your hands" or "sweaty hands". It was supposed to be clapping. I just don't get it. There's another emoji that shows up on Facebook that looks like goatse but apparently it's supposed to be praise or prayer or something.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My Wife the Car

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't think it's any "cheaper" to use existing designs instead of creating new ones. They're CG models.

Are ey/em pronouns?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tom Green's relevance was such a weird hiccup in the Matrix

He reminds me of a more successful Maddox

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
why is there a brown m&m but no white m&m

oh wait

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Ror posted:

sitzpinkeln is very important, those shelf toilets splash piss like crazy

Honestly I think this is the first time I've seen a stick figure with a butt.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I once knew a robot lawyer

he was too pc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
COD1's multiplayer was about the last game I played online. Just kinda realized I don't like playing with Internet randos all that much and never went back until PUBG piqued my interest briefly.

Are Call of Duty games popular on console? I think it would be agony using a controller in a first person shooter.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Look he is right about the women's bathroom thing though. I was a custodian for almost a decade. 100% of the time by the end of the night there would be at least one toilet in the women's restroom was sprayed with feces. Compared to the men's restroom where it was a tossup.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The twitter dude is a dumbass fucker idiot moron but NFL Sundays are traditionally the realm of artery-clogging megameat dishes, Super Bowl Sunday especially. Serving vegan food is effrontery.

You can also very effectively clog your arteries with garbage vegan food.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I eat a vegan diet and all the food tastes great, and it's all in a vague way meant to be likened to an animal. Like, Chik Patties or whatever. But they definitely don't taste like what I remember any of the actual meat tasting like. And after all these years, the flavor, as I remember, of meat is distasteful on its own without my added vegan attitudes toward it. Point I'm making, I don't think vegans care all that much that the food they're eating FOOLS EVEN MASTER CHEFS! I just want something that tastes good and has good texture and makes my stomach stop bitching at me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Splicer posted:

Quorn Crispy Nuggets taste delicious and worryingly similar to McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Quorn
Korn
Corn

Somehow always the worst

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Let it be known I freely give my consent that anyone here is entitled to however much of my corpse they wish.

Please note that I do not consent to murder. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

rain dogs posted:

telling everyone theyre vegan :dadjoke:

Don't even joke about that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A cow once saved me at the last moment from getting hit by a semi. It was bovine intervention.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I get up at 5 AM because I have to get to work early. It's really nice during my morning walk, and I always think to myself, gosh I would really like to get up and enjoy all this without the obligation of work. But I never do; gently caress that sleep longer

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Post Your Favorite: Derail Valley › Idiot owns Social Media: lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I don't get it. Is it because the character has smaller boobs than before? Or because it has boobs where it didn't before? Or that it's a robot and needs uh, boobs for um, some uh

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I once attended a money management class and the instructor began by asking how frequently you get your haircut. One guy said twice a week, and we all laughed and looked at him, and he was confused as to why this was amusing.

His hair wasn't fancy or anything. It was buzzed as far as I could tell but I guess he needed it to always be at exactly that length.

e: fuckin awful snipe, hey here's credburn's boring rear end anecdote

Facebook has this habit of spamming me with streamer ads, and after about a dozen "this is irrelevant to me" clicks, they finally go away. Then, whoops I looked up something about Yakuza, it seems like this guy changed his mind about streamers! Ad blitz!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What is kiwifarms?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I haven't had meat in 20 years and it's not a big deal.

I mean 20 years ago it sucked

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Neito posted:

I've had multiple arguments with people at the con I work at as to if they're "sexual" or not. I hate those loving things with a burning passion.

I almost bought one once because I honestly thought cross-eyed, mouth-open, drool-coming-out-of-mouth was indicative that the person is dead, or a zombie, or in some state of reanimation/brainlessness. I thought the hoodie I saw online was generated by some AI... I think my girlfriend at the time stopped me from buying it, and another friend of mine who works for a manga publisher says everyone wears these whenever she has to actually interact in person with her coworkers (which is rare, I guess)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
If I'm too old to say "olds" am I an old?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/katymontgomerie/status/1629236626474795009

How does a single syllable cause someone to melt down this hard?

I don't understand what "the" was supposed to mean. Did they accidentally send an incomplete message and dude erupted?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Oh, okay. I guess I get it. So, is this some kind of rhetorical weapon being used by TERFs in some way?

I have two transgender friends who are going to have surgery eventually. I guess in my mind the whole thing could be done in one go, but no? I'm not a TERF, I'm just ignorant.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Chuds aren't going to start healing until they acknowledge they, too, have triggers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Two days ago these two guys came into the 7-11 I work at with clipboards and were asking people to sign petitions to stop our governor from banning gas stoves.

They kept accosting me with questions like, "Are YOU okay with them taking away YOUR choice to have a gas stove?"

I was angry when they took away my choice to have lead paint but at this point in my life I no longer care.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I laugh at this because whatever they do, if anything, would probably just apply to brand new construction and/or brand new stoves, and yet they're trying to push this as something that would directly, immediately impact the average joe (half of whom are probably using electric anyway and not particularly upset about it).

This is actually their main point, that if you owned some land and wanted to build a house, you should be allowed to use a gas stove if you want.

G-dangit I'm being tread on!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

You seem to be weirdly proud of that.

lol dude sounds like me at a party

(because I'm vegan, not because I've read Mein Kampf)

Did you guys know I was vegan?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've not read it but I heard good things about the sequel.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/117039.Hitler_s_Second_Book

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
She's canceled for whiteface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Going from the graphic novel to the movie was jarring because there are at least 300 less dicks featured in the film.

sigh well that's a snipe