Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

turd in my singlet posted:

so since the US is basically doing fuckall, when will herd immunity start to become an actual thing? i've seen claims of 60% of the population having antibodies being a figure that Sweden was working with

330 million people (US pop) * 60% of population infected = 198 million cases

198 million cases * 1% death rate = 1.98 million deaths

so.... wait for two million people to die then it's safe to go out??????

i think that's part of the point
Other people have pointed out how the herd immunity plan might straight up not work anyway, but I just want to mention that the 60% number was based on an R0 of 2.5. With the revised R0 of 5.7, it'd be 83%, with the confidence interval putting the final death toll at between 2.4 to 2.9 million deaths. (24-29 million dead if you assume a 10% death rate from overwhelmed hospitals.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

they all have to go to the same places to buy anything though
Yeah, you'd expect the issue to be how many people any given person comes into proximity with. Which fair enough, big cities have a head start, but it's probably not a simple linear relationship with population density.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Plenty of nation states have lost way bigger percentages to plague, natural disaster or war and kept on trucking.
Yeah, the average percentage lost for the Allies of WW1 would be equivalent to 3-4 million dead in the US. The worst casualty rate, that of Serbia, would amount to 55-91 million dead in the US. Given world wide deaths from the Spanish Flu, the average percentage lost would be equivalent to 3-9 million dead Americans. States can truck through a lot of death.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is that even a remotely effective covering?
I imagine it sorta concentrates the virus around your head, creating a more concentrated miasma in your immediate vicinity but possibly protecting someone who's just passing by you a little further away. It's for infecting friends and family.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Covid fever can lead to spontaneous combustion confirmed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

Although the post is quite poetic I don't understand why he wrote the the million twice in there like he was doing that hiding the double "the" trick.
It's not that unusual to write big numbers like that, I think for emphasis. The non-standard wording forces you to actually pause a bit and comprehend the scale, rather than you just skipping past "a trillion". It also sounds more poetic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

Gottem. It's early morning. Had to do it.
Dude, we all saw that double the.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

To get back to the start of the pet discussion, which I'm pretty sure was about food - I'm not sure you can return to the "Just let your pet feed itself" model in cities or suburbs, too little food to go around. The cats will decimate the population of smaller animals, before fanning out into the countryside to continue their holocaust, while the dogs will form packs and start harassing/attacking people, like you see in Russia except on a far grander scale.

Of course people aren't going to just switch to letting their pet feed themselves, so in the event of it becoming increasingly hard to feet pets, the outdoor cats who are let out to supplement what they get at home will become prey to the suburban trappers, naturally putting a check on pet food demand.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Yeah exactly this, foraging/hunting/whatever doesn't scale up to match the demands of an industrial society
It'd scale down an industrial society pretty quickly though!

e: I just realized that "Just let them hunt" is the pet equivalent of suggesting everyone becomes bankers if they don't want to be poor.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 21:35 on May 10, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thoguh posted:

This seems wierd to me because this thing rips through nursing homes, if nothing else. If it was around all the way back then why did it not spread like it is now?
Smoking alone while basking in your ennui is the best form of social distancing. Unfortunately, a tourist from Wuhan had to take a picture of this perfect French stereotype, and ended up superspreading the virus back home. By the time the virus got back, ennui season was over in France.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Everyone is saying how poo poo it is for Bryan Adams to say that stuff but no one is facing the cold hard reality that we could have been eating bats 30 years ago and stopped him a lot sooner.
Ozzy tried to stop him almost as soon as he appeared, but was savagely attacked for it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

People on reddit are saying that if you only have a small number of potential infections among a large population you can swab like 100 people at once, throw the swabs in a hopper and then reagent the whole batch at once, which is a lot faster, with most batches being negative but as soon as one batch turns positive you can go back to those 100 people and test them individually, and you can do this concurrently with local lock downs i.e. test whole city blocks at one, then lock down the blocks with positives for further testing, so it's not going to be like the US testing and reagenting each swab one at a time and they can do a massive number of tests in a short time.
The US will eventually do this, but use a single q-tip for the entire block.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

No, it was because the flu was placed under unusual selection pressure from WW1 hospital camps that favored lethality (the opposite of selection pressure in most environments) and that more-lethal form is what circulated in the second wave of the pandemic. Had nothing to do with people contracting it multiple times.
Trying to look up a claim I read about Copenhagen coming out of the whole pandemic relatively unscathed, I found a 2008 paper that basically concluded with:

- Existing models of pandemic influenza assume an R0<2, which is overly optimistic.
- Maybe it's a bad idea to suppress mild summer waves, because letting them rip through society ensures some sort of resistance to deadlier fall waves.

Guess if it really was just a flu then Boris was right all along.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zeno-25 posted:

I wonder how effective it would be to have a bunch of consumer-grade HEPA filters in indoor public environments?

I'm guessing you'd need a high turnover of the air volume to make any real difference
I kinda doubt it'd help much, since it wouldn't affect transmission between people in close proximity, nor fomite transmission. A proper ventilation system designed to stop the spread of pathogens also have fundamentally different designs from ones that are not, so you're not gonna get hospital-grade ventilation without a major rebuild. You're probably right about needing a high turnover, high enough that it actually feels windy inside, which would reduce infections inside the building through keeping everyone away.

Tei posted:

Only in usa big corporations are considered leftist.
Big corporations are essentially states unto themselves, thus what they're doing is state capitalism, which we all know is 100% exactly communism as envisoned by Marx.

Man Musk posted:

Speaking of capitalism, Saudi Arabia owns ~8% of Carnival Cruises, plus other recreational stocks...

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1261408123044036608

Maybe opening 'er up is an agenda, maybe not, i do not know.
It's not proper 9/11s if Saudi Arabia isn't funding it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crusader posted:

lol drat just checked and mutual annihilation of the average human with their antimatter counterpart is like 5k megaton yield

still smaller than the dinosaur impact but gotta start somewhere
I think you meant to write average American, the average human is closer to half that. Not that it makes that much of a difference at those scales: The mutual annihilation of say Trump and anti-Trump would engulf the entirety of Washington D.C. in a fireball, level everything up to Baltimore, destroy most things up to the Appalachians, and cause 3rd degree burns beyond New York.

In conclusion, Trump wouldn't just drain the swamp, he'd scour it from the face of the Earth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ChristsDickWorship posted:

boomers are the generation that couldn't figure out coffee and cooked casseroles their entire lives, how could they be more particular about wine than millenials
Marketing and money?

Funion posted:

I think someone predicted a thread or two ago that the USA would do the worst possible thing in terms of the economy and death, by having ineffective lockdowns followed by opening up prematurely. Good thing that didn't happen.

:911:
The US edging.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Spoondick posted:

the virus is going to directly suppress lots of retail, travel, tourism and service industries for 2 years, then a recovery will begin to occur but probably not quickly because everyone will be too broke from wage losses and plague bills or cautious about spending money in such an environment
Look at you, posting from a continent where you do recoveries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cowpocalypse posted:

america is the greatest country in the world, that's why so many of our people are dying - because we're all fat and sick :smugbert:
Great country, terrible people.

Radirot posted:

this form of protest is loving lame.
They all farted coronafarts at her.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Siljmonster posted:

imagine being scared of cell phone towers and not the sun
All stars are actually just huge wifi hotspots. We're a bacteria culture that has learned to subsist on it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zil posted:

I love these images where they just pull random words together to try to make themselves sound important
At least whoever made this is actually on to something, they're just confused about terms. Replace warcrime with crime against humanity, vaccines with forced injection of experimental vaccines, and the Nuremburg Code with the International Bill of Human Rights and you actually have a point. Also, like with warcrimes, no American is gonna ever get prosecuted for it.

Musk AND Ivanka have become communists?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

snoo posted:

lmao cops are useless
If only there was a way to convince the cops that they need to assert their authority, otherwise everyone is gonna start calling them pussies.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What the hell? Jobs don't give life meaning.
AoF has 100% bought into status quo liberalism. His failure to live up to the expectations of what a successful adult has is why you eventually see him moaning about his life in every single thread on the forum.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Acelerion posted:

you can get a rack, bar, and plates for a few hundred (normally)

Come join garage crew and laugh at the new years gym goers while you freeze to death
Look at mr. fancypants here. You probably own a house too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've had more success with not trying to actively find substitutes to fill my meat hole and instead finding veggies I like on their own merit.
Yeah. I had started with my plan to reduce my meat intake before covid took off, and pretty quickly came to conclusion that it just makes far more sense to just not even attempt to replicate meatiness in your veggies. I've always been a big meat fan, but it really is much easier to accept something that's clearly not meat rather than a knock-off that just reminds you you're not eating meat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

it looks like that line is just y=x as a reference for where the r values are equal
Yes, that's clearly it, makes it much easier to see what the effect of a given policy is. Like half the time people in this thread complain about data visualization they're complaining about something entirely innocent and normal. It's not how they present the data that's wrong, it's the actual data.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

While SARS-CoV-2 has a very high R0, it looks like it also may have a very low dispersion factor. That means that it goes off like a bomb in the right places and doesn't really spread evenly at all when the ingredients aren't right. Here's parts from a good thread on it:

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1262871743972114432

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1262873604796145665

So covid outbreaks are extremely stochastic. 3/4 times nothing may happen and 1/4 times it may blow up. There may be some environments that are conducive to superspreading or some people that are super spreaders while the median chance of infection remains quite low.

This sort of information combined with the low household attack rate leads me to believe that if people don't spend a prolonged duration with an infected person doing an activity that generates droplets, then they probably won't get infected.
I suggested this as an explanation for a possible French origin earlier in the thread. Clearly I've got an instinctual understanding of pandemics and I should be heading the global efforts to contain the virus.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Epidemiologists still don't know if superspreaders are due to different behavior or different physiology (eg viral shedding).
It could be both. Considerate and hygienic people with limited viral shedding end up infecting no one, high viral shedding or inconsiderate unhygienic people infect a couple, while the ones who are just naturally more infectious while also being the type to cough directly into someone's face end up infecting everyone they interact with. The "cough directly in your face" types are probably the like 10-20% of the population who don't wash their hands after taking a poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Still, nobody knows how many Americans actually got infected. It’s probably somewhere between 1-5% of the population. So best case, you’re looking at ~ 1 million dead upon reaching herd immunity, worst case is 7+ million. :negative:
Based on that 5% number from Spain and official US numbers, the US is sitting at 4% infected, assuming similar health outcomes, with 100k locked in among the recent infected. You can scale both of those up according to however much you believe the US is underreporting (relative to Spain). You need insane amounts of underreporting for existing infected making any dent in the spread of the virus though.

I suppose the professions most vulnerable to infection will be overrepresented, which could act as a sort of firebreak that reduces the risk of a cluster spreading into another group, but it seems like that effect would be the most powerful if you have some sort of lockdown going on. If you just open up, all social groups will end up interfacing directly and you just get like a 10% reduction in R due to the people who've already been infected. (assuming major underreporting here)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

shovelbum posted:

yeah i mean doctors work together to

a) artificially create a doctor shortage
b) lobby to prop up the cost of healthcare to $america
c) own their own businesses and have subordinate non-owner employees

there is labor being done but i dont think you can say theyre the same as the guy working at the hog factory or we
I think this makes them petite bourgeoisie. They align themselves with the haute bourgeoisie ideologically and attempt to do so socially, and they exploit labor, but they do not have enough accumulated capital to just be a capitalist.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

6.5 figgies is $316k. this was the result of one of the longest-running debates in yospos history.

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

i need to see this. how do i see this.
I too want to see how someone could end up so wrong. Even at the lowest estimate, with 6 figgies being 100k and 7 figgies being a million, you end up at 550k for 6.5 figures. $316K is like 6.2 figgies at most, so claiming it as 6.5 figgies is clearly yospos trying to steal valor from people richer than themselves. Their brains have turned to mush through excessive bourgeois morality.

Squizzle posted:

its simple math, correctly done
Figgies are not a simple measure of power, given that any given figgy covers a range of numbers where there's a factor ten difference between the high and low end.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

*hand hovers over probate button*
People can't be held responsible for corona-induced loss of taste!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mourne posted:

this poor soul makes zero figgies

:(
According to yospos that's $0.1

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So the whole Sweden didn't close and they seem to be not doing differently thing is confusing as gently caress to me. I am assuming the news I'm seeing isn't telling the whole story? Or has Sweden been mostly life as usual this whole time?
When the Swedish government said "Relax my dudes, it's just the flu" the citizenry looked at the responses in neighboring countries and said "gently caress no, I won't die for you".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Someone needs to tell them that covid is caused by a fat cat psychic vampire who's tele-feeding across the world.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wow, white Mississippians have become desperate enough to burn white churches?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"several weeks" isn't long enough for things to get flooded yet, especially since
I recall seeing the US having a significant lag to case reporting too, so the standard "two weeks from infection to confirmed case" doesn't necessarily hold up. Like, I think someone claimed 5-6 weeks potentially? Which basically completely ruins any possibility of doing anything but just a strict lockdown, because you can't let the virus run free with inadequate measures for over a month as you try to see if your degree of lockdown is fine.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

C. despite the "average R0", it sounds like there's larger chunks towards either end instead of the actual average-- either you don't infect many people because you start coughing and stay home, or you go absolutely hog wild batshit and infect 20 people because you're a dumb rear end in a top hat incapable of putting together cause and effect
I had a go at the numbers based on that article posted earlier:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wow, it was actually easy to find. I was half expecting having to trawl through the C-SPAM thread to find it again.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all

Based on those numbers, 90% of infected infect 1.3 other people on average, while the remaining 10% infect 45. If you assume it fits an y=e^ax curve, you'd actually need to get into the 70th percentile before you get to people who are gonna infect at least one other person, which is consistent with the claim that most people do not infect, ending at around 80 infections for the top 1%.
Yeah, according to this article the majority of people do not actually infect anyone, and then you have assholes who just can't stop coughing thick viral loads directly into the throats of other people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Why not hold church outdoors? You can still congregate and it’s what, 19x safer?
It's the Lord's house, not the Lord's lawn!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Victory Position posted:

this has the potential to create a schism of its own

this is way bigger than Vatican II and that's a shitshow that the paleo-Catholics are still complaining about :stonklol:
I can't wait for the 2021 American antipope election.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

African bishops are more likely to get their ducks in a row than the Americans. Our bishops are too busy with the kid rape cover-ups.
Ted Cruz will become the antipope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Boxman posted:

I miss swimming :(

not enough to risk my health and that of those around me, mind. But its not something easily replaced.
Swimming (in pools) is bad for your lungs, so it's an even worse idea than immediately apparent.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

chlorine i assume but im pretty sure the exercise your lungs get from swimming is greater than the damage chlorine does
Chlorine plus bodily fluids basically produce compounds that wreck your lungs over time. It's much less of an issue in more modern facilities, and where operators successfully convince patrons to shower beforehand and to not pee in the water. The telltale sign is the smell of "chlorine", which basically has a 1:1 relationship with how filthy the people using the pool are. Just the faintest hint and it's probably fine, but if it's real obvious it's because they're trying to neutralize gallons of pee and sweat.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yea looks like its indoor pool specifically and if you are doing it every day for long periods of time like a competitive swimmer. lol @ goons being in that category. go swim have fun.
Sorry, sometimes I forget that not everyone posting here is a professional athlete.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gio posted:

she is absolutely lying about her behavior
"Haven't really been socializing with friends" is definitely just another way of writing "I realized it might be risky behavior but decided to go party anyway".

Aside from that, isn't she also part of the social class who counts golf and lunch as time spent working? Follow that logic, and parties become necessary maintenance of your network.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's not the deaths guessing game but it's the next best thing: Postcounts. Holy poo poo, you all post a lot. I somehow don't even rank high enough to show up.

Divide those numbers by 10, and you get the number of infections each of those posters would manage if they themselves were infected by coronavirus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

hasnt the 6’ thing been been found to be completely inadequate? especially indoors?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I think it is pretty much a bell curve sort of deal; 6' properly maintained at all times gets you quite far. As does proper hand hygiene. Even better if you manage masks when in public properly.

The main issue is getting people to consistently follow the rules, as long as compliance is low it will do no good at all making them more onerous.
If nothing else, any consistently maintained limit beyond what people would normally do reduces the number of people who get close enough to get infected. If say people would normally stand 2' apart, then a 6' limit reduces the number of people in close proximity to an infected person by a factor of 3-9 depending on whether their distribution is queue-like or evenly distributed across the floor. Not that people should really be participating in poo poo that evenly distributes them across a floor, but if they're gonna do it it helps a lot to maintain even that distance.