Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sitting here at the VA getting fingerprinted and this place is chill as poo poo

I want to work here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol just imagine the sheer crying and wailing that would've happened if this virus showed up in, say, early November and we shut down during peak shopping/restaurant season

that likely would have ended retail as we know it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So is the "return of COVID-19 in the Fall" predicated on it not thriving in warmer summer weather?

Because I'm imagining all the crowds, the summer barbecues, etc., high activity like that in the summer, and I can't see how there will be a "return" of COVID-19 but merely an ongoing horrorshow

it has to leave for it to return.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

as an anecdote i'm impressed they used the person who was wholly immune to strokes and kidney failure as the example of why roni is bad

if his kidneys weren't failing before they will be now

woo lad

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Here's an opportunity for invisible right wing money to acquire even more of the "leftwing" radio.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao nyc skewed the numbers so bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao his osteoarthritis get the gently caress out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So apparently I'm getting a grant as part of the HEERF (higher education emergency relief fund) act

how do i see how much i get

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

medical updates from the poorest county in the nation with a population over 10k!

i am not madjackal, i am not covid frontline. instead i am getting to see what this has done to a poor community.

im doing a rotation for family medicine here. the clinic is small; it only has 7 beds. the regional hospital closed two years ago. we can't do any serious labs, and anything more complicated than an xray requires a 30 minute trip down to crossville.

75% of my patients are over 50 but look 70. All have chronic lung conditions and diabetes. All are smokers with terrible diets. Every single one is on a statin, an ace/arb, and metformin. All of them have to use the generics because they can't afford anything else.

we don't let them come into the clinic all at once. patients sit in their cars until their number is up, then a nurse brings them in. outside is just rows of beat down buicks and absurd trucks the driver likely owes more on than its worth. we don't know what we'll do when it gets hot; none of the patients can afford to burn the gas to keep the AC going, but they'll all get heat stroke if they sit in their cars. it's a future problem.

none have savings. all are paycheck to paycheck. there's no industry in this town. there's a shipping plant some 30 miles away but i don't think any of them work there. most of my patients around my age work in home health or as a cna. one told me today she worked a 122 hour shift last week at a retirement home because she missed the week before with a fever. she's taking care of her husband who has stage 4 chf, and is hoping soon to get her medical billing license so she can work from home and take better care of them.

They all ask me if they think this is as bad as the news makes it out to be. They ask me if they're being lied too. I've been telling them all it's worse. I don't know if I can do that anymore. These people have loving nothing. We mock people in this thread, but imagine someone on a fixed income living in a dilapidated house that the bank is just waiting to pounce on. Obviously they don't need to go out; none of these peopel would survive covid, but christ your heart melts.

speaking of meeting places, there's only two joints open in this town. Tennessee has done a weird soft open for restaurants as long as every other table is empty. One of the two places is called the Fresh Market. it's in a chevron gas station. I went there for lunch yesterday with my classmate. we were wearing scrubs.

they wouldn't let us pay for the meal. somebody in there had comped it. we were gonna get it to go but i told him we had to stay in and eat it there or else we it might look ungrateful. I actually got a pretty good salad. When we left, someone near the store stood up and thanked us.

The other open restaurant is on the other end of main street and is called west end diner. it's just an open space with some foldout tables pushed together. at the front there's a small counter with a register. the walls are empty except for random religious nick knacks like you get from wal mart. I got a cup of coffee there this morning. everyone stopped talking when i walked in. there was no music playing.

every other store on the main street is closed except for the store that sells flower bouquets. people don't stop dying. there's an american flag bouquet in the front window.

the wal mart is bad here. the parking lot lights don't work. no one parks in the spaces anyway. it's the town's only grocery store. there was a discount food place, but that's had to close since all the restaurants closed too. the wal mart is out of beef; i managed to score some cubed beef tonight which was one of the last things on the shelf. there's no rice. there's no cleaning supplies.

when im waiting in line, an attractive woman a little older than me says hello to someone else. She stands out. her body has all the right shapes, and not in a demeaning way. just that everyone else around her has osteoarthritis, or is so obese they kinda lose their form. Not this one. her hair has been combed. she has a good smile. she's literally glowing, like standing out among everyone else. she's beautiful.

"can't wait to see you back at church," she says to someone else. the person she's talking to is skinny, greasy haired, can't meet her gaze.

"yeah, i've been watching on youtube, what gets streamed." he's rubbing his arms. i can see the marks from across the self check out area. some are fresh. when you're malnourished you don't heal very well, especially when you're pumping meth into your arms. he's buying a case of mountain dew.

she just smiles at him, then offers to help someone else she sees from church.

on the way out i see a man completely hunched forward. he's leaning on his shopping cart for support. he's not as old as he looks. a red maga hat pulled low, uncut hair sprawling, "proud to be a deplorable" on his shirt. he can barely walk. he's bow legged and his shoes are falling apart.

this town isn't dying, it's dead. it was supported by a small group of people spending what little they could scratch and save, what little they got in fixed income, what little they could borrow from family, to keep a pitiful little economy going. no money was coming in here before. it was just swirling in a circle, like when you pull the plug on a drain. and that last bit seems to spin and spin, and then suddenly it vanishes. and it never comes back.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought you were in Knoxville? Or are you somewhere else in eastern TN?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Sounds like Oneida or one of 100 other towns

Jamestown.

I'm going back to knoxville on the weekends. I'm not kidding when I say I'm gonna make all my food for the next week and bring it. I don't think that wal mart is going to have much come next monday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like have you ever walked into a walmart and had to help two geriatric greeters trying to separate a stuck cart from the front row while a karen looks on because she doesn't want to do it herself?

have you ever had them look at you gratefully because they're on a fixed income and they're probably supporting a loved one who's succumb to meth?

have you ever had this loving karen look at you and say "oh wow you're strong!" before reaching across one of the elderly people to grab a wipe from the wall dispenser, washing down the handle, and then handing it to the same greeter she reached across?

THIS IS NOT loving RIGHT

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

nice just in time to short circuit one of the strongest talking points shitlibs have for why we HAVE to support joe biden

nah mcconnell will push this back until after the election so they can drive turnout lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

how the gently caress does she still have her gallbladder

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

what are the good theories on this

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

reminder that the flu number of 60k includes 45k deaths they just "assume" was the flu, which is fair and probably correct

it's the exact opposite metric chuds want to use to count covid deaths

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1258042551757570048?s=20

The results from a new set of surveys by Morning Consult found that 14 percent of American adults would not get a COVID-19 vaccine if one were available and 22 percent aren’t sure if they would. In a separate recent survey, currently undergoing peer review, political scientists Kristin Lunz Trujillo and Matt Motta found that 23% of U.S. respondents said they would not get vaccinated against COVID-19.

this is convenient since there will never be one

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doc Fission posted:

WE👏NEED👏MORE👏WOMEN👏MURDERERS

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

my gf sent me this asking me if it was legit and i want to loving scream lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOLnfe6U_fM

i said no

i met this couple once that had just moved to asheville to open their chiro clinic and friended them on fb

they keep posting this video and telling people to watch it BEFORE THEY TAKE IT DOWN

the couple also refers to themselves as doctors which pisses me off but so does everything else

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it's amazing how quickly china can manufacture poo poo like this and we're just like "paper masks uh i dunno"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Want some COVID hot goss straight from the ICU?

I talked to an ICU PA tonight, and there's a theory going around that the reason COVID patients on ventilators are dying at a documented 80%+ rate might be because the vents are possibly initiating or worsening cytokine storms. Unlike the usual ARDS where you can use high pressure to push back against the transudate in the alveoli, for COVID there's no spill over, instead it's interstitial edema causing swelling and decreased blood perfusion. So the V/Q mismatch is more Q than V, so venting patients with crazy high pressures does dick all since there's no blood around to actually carry the O2 to tissues, and all that pressure from the vent causes further injury and worsening of outcomes. Oops!

I don't even want to think of the number of patients we sent to get vented early because that's the standard of care for ARDS.

My chief resident buddy was running a COVID vent farm a couple weeks back and he said he was "running a mortuary." Yep.

yeah but standard ARDS venting is low TV, high respirations

you specifically try to avoid barotrauma

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Huh. So the PEEP settings for ventilated ARDS patients are closer to what you'd see on, say, BIPAP rather than higher?

(I think I blocked out my month of ICU / vent settings knowledge)

yeah i dont know wtf that pa was talking about

source: im probably a future pulm crit care PA since that's what ive enjoyed the most

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Why not use negative pressure ventilation then? Not full on iron lung since presumably not many still exist but you can manufacture them fairly easily

because that would collapse the alveoli and basically kill the patient immediately

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

eric ciaramella posted:

but can we do it?

yeah gently caress it yolo

also uptodate advises against high peep which is what a lot of people were doing early on which makes no loving sense because ARDS isn't a new thing

also here's a new nightmare for you. straight from the medical literature

quote:

Neurologic complications, in particular encephalopathy manifesting with agitated delirium, appear to be common in critically ill patients with COVID-19. In one series of 58 patients with COVID-19-related acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), delirium/encephalopathy was present in approximately two-thirds of patients [1]. In addition, 3 of 13 patients who had brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) were found to have an acute ischemic stroke; eight of the MRI studies demonstrated leptomeningeal enhancement. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in seven patients was acellular, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays of CSF were negative for the virus. It is unclear whether the neurologic complications noted in this and other reports are due to critical illness, medication effects, or represent more direct effects of cytokines or the SARS-CoV-2 virus [1-3]. (See "Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Critical care and airway management issues", section on 'Clinical features'.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao trump's whole strat is just to ignore it and pretend it never happened and like 40% of the country is on board with it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yeah its way more than 75 lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

LMMMAAAOOOOO

https://twitter.com/stonecold2050/status/1259324688641081351?s=20

Where am I gonna get my chum buckets now

gently caress off Jim

Go to the light, Jim.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A huge crowd of people crammed into a park in Texas because OPEN 'ER UP but someone let off some fireworks and a bunch of people immediately whipped out guns and started blazing away

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/11/us/fort-worth-texas-park-shooting/index.html

i wonder what color the people shot were

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

eighty-four merc posted:

lol what's the new thread title story?

Louisiana senator John Kennedy when asked about how people would need another stimulus check.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They're probably not getting their per diems or whatever but if my experiences with the mid 2000s braves teams are any indications that money was exclusively spent on booze.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I went to opening weekend in Cincinnati last year and accidentally ended up at the same hotel as the Pirates stayed because I wanted to be close to the park

The training and coaching staff pretty much took the hotel bar over every single day until closing time

I remember Brian McCann and Tommy Hanson jumping the bar at Buckhead Saloon and just slinging drinks to whomever.

Of course Tommy died of multi organ failure related to cocaine and alcohol so

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

but just think of our brave troops/small business owner/job creators

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

no loving way

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I regret to inform you....Bryan Adam sucks

summer of sixty nnnnnnnNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This thing is going to end up living in the nerve cells i guarantee it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

imagine trying to sell the script about the psychological warfare of this virus

"yeah there's a virus that kills you in horrible ways and basically every single human can transmit it and will have it by the end of its run and people are storming state houses to get haircuts."

I know nothing matters etc but this is very good. It's on a news station all the olds watch, filled with reporters they still have faith in, and absolutely doesn't mince words.

It straight up calls out Gaetz for what he is, the truth of the grant, and the fact that Trump had previously reauthorized it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CODChimera posted:

not really. what happened to pence

threw his back out carrying prop boxes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

snoo posted:

still no toilet paper/paper towels/etc. at my grocery store :(

the meat section is depressing but I got some chicken nuggets and some chicken breasts for a good price and stocked up on cheese and butter and eggs

I think pretty much everyone was wearing a mask at least

bake a turkey

its very healthy meat, its dirt cheap righ tnow, and you get a poo poo load of it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

“a lot of demand for rem DA savar” - Susan Collins

how do people watch poo poo like this and think "yeah it's fine congress is a nursing home"

lmao i know they don't watch but still

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Coatlicue posted:

This is a five minute video of ballerinas from around the world dancing together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT14o5Wq7gE

It made me feel positive about the world for a minute.

lmao at the one freelance ballerina how'd she get in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

very few people die of one thing

every single person who dies in pulm has like twenty five things going on

it's the reason all pulm doctors are double board certified with internal med