Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't vote for Biden and I'm complicit in electing a rapist

That's not how this works. The only people complicit in electing someone are the people who voted for that person, the people organizing that person's campaign, and the people who maintained the system that let them there.

If you don't vote for Trump and Trump wins, you're not responsible for Trump. Anyone who says that "If you don't vote for Biden, you're voting for Trump" fundamentally misunderstands the way things work in both a political and moral way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

But I think it's ridiculous to then also pretend there is no consequence to the choice of not voting. If you don't vote for Biden--especially if you live in a competiive state--you are making a choice that contributes to Trump getting a higher percentage of your state's popular vote.

Lol that's dumb as hell.

Millions of people are gonna cast their vote regardless of what you do. Your vote doe snot amgically influence theirs. If Trump wins it has nothing to do with your individual vote. To try and put the blame on people for not voting Biden is part of the stupid American philosophy or recasting everything as individual choice and responsibility.

This dumb election already has made your vote pointless in a hundred different ways before you even get to the polls. Who you vote or do not vote for is your choice and does not make you responsible for the choices of others. If Trump wins it's not because one dumbass decided he didn't want to vote for a loving rapist. It's because of the campaign, the media, the supporters, the other guys' campaign and supporters, the vote suppression, the courts, etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Covid for one. He nearly got the US into a war with Iran which almost certainly would have involved Canada. Among innumerable other reasons that are important but I feel have been debated to death.

Trump de-escalated with Iran because he was afraid of civilian casualties, something no other Democrat or Republican would have done.

Trump is a piece of poo poo racist rapist but he's somehow better on war with Iran than most politicians. It boggles the mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

But I do dismiss the idea that choosing to not vote when you could have or voting third party when you're not doing anything else to advance that party outside of ceremonial support every four years does not help Trump. Of course it does, even if it's tiny and incremental. It doesn't make you a monster, but reality is reality. There is a Trump vote that mattered more because you did not cancel it out. If you could have voted, your decision not to or vote third party helped Trump.

Dismiss the idea all you want, you're still obviously wrong.

Now get over it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Because we need to Restore the Soul of America™. Which is, uhh, zionism apparently.

Well, considering what America did to the natives, it's accurate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol are there still non-libs who support voting for Biden?

The Democratic Party will kill itself trying to appeal to the Professional-Managerial Class and discarding the Working Class as much as possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That's because that literally happened. The modern history of the Democratic party - up until 2008 or so, when it started realigning leftwards again - is the history of the Reagan Democrats, of Bill Clinton, of the DLC and of the New Democrats. The Democratic coalition fell apart in the 80s as liberal candidates suffered shocking electoral defeats and as conservative and moderate whites increasingly migrated to the Republicans as part of the Southern Strategy & the Great Realignment. In this new reality - the Boomer reality - liberal candidates simply could not assemble a broad enough coalition to win nationwide. The Democratic party largely stumbled on purely on inertia and the advantage of incumbency.

It's difficult to underestimate the extent to which Republicans had become dominant on a national level at the time. The narrative was heavily in their favor with former Democratic voters having abandoned the party in droves. In 1992, there had only been one Democratic president since 1969, and that was Jimmy Carter - history's greatest monster and widely regarded as a failure, in part because of his lefty kookiness. Running straight up Southern Democrats in an attempt to appeal to the Reagan Democrats was increasingly unacceptable to the liberal wing of the party - part of the pressures and contradictions that drove the realignment. Into this environment enter Bill Clinton and the DLC.

The Great Triangulator proposed a third way of politics, embracing the 80s zeitgest of free markets and greed but theoretically using it to drive liberal ends. Thus we got market-based health care proposals, privatization mitigated by worker retraining programs, widespread broadband installation by means of simply giving telecoms huge piles of money - all of it sufficient to onboard the liberal wing via its aims, but corporate friendly enough to keep businesses comfortable. This also entailed specific repudiation of the left wing of the party, most famously with Clinton's 'Sister Souljah moment' - but ritualistic hippy punching was common thereafter as Clinton's methods proved electorally successful. This earned him and his methods massive credibility with the party, and eventually its acolytes became synonymous with the party rather than revolutionaries. Running to the center while explicitly repudiating the left to win became entrenched as not just conventional wisdom, but the only path to victory.

This only even began reversing in 2008, as Obama's surprise victory outside the aegis of the New Democrats opened a wedge for new ideas and methods for winning elections that wern't beholden to corrupt neoliberalism.

Large parts of the Democratic party have wanted to move right, to abandon the working class to instead cater to the Professional class, and have used every defeat to argue for this, no matter how true or untrue this was. This isn't a conspiracy theory: we've got 50 years of their own words to prove it. Every time they'd present a boring neoliberal and lsoe, they'd say he was too lefty and go harder right. Every time they won, they'd HAPPILY proclaim the end of the New Deal and the dawn of a new age.

So the rot is old is what I'm saying.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Not everything is about an economic theory, right?
If we broke up the big banks tomorrow, would that end racism? Would that end sexism? Would that end discrimination against the LGBT community? Would that make people feel more welcoming to immigrants overnight?

I too remember that really dumb quote from Hillary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

i mean, it's at least a common belief. especially since class consciousness is so far removed from the conversation.

i had a conversation with a customer the other day (i work in a very conservative area btw.) she was (very carefully because she's aware of my ethnicity) talking about mexicans and how they fit into society and how she's not racist but she knows what she's saying sounds racist or whatever :rolleyes: poo poo. so i tried something: i argued that she wasn't racist. i pointed out that a lot of rich white people are prejudiced against the homeless in the area. i talked to her about the idea of "white trash." i pointed out that i'm her favorite person in the store in spite of my ancestry. she understood, and i think came out of the conversation with racism being a class problem as something to ponder.

and i know it's just an anecdote so whatever, but "racist" is a very harsh accusation for white people to handle. imo when they're like, "but some of my friends are black" it's kind of a glimpse into that underlying concept of classism being the real core part of the problem. "classist" just sounds stupid in a society where the concept is "you get out of life what you put in" and "everything you have you've earned." no one wants to speak in those terms because it sounds like making excuses.

We've been trained our entire life to see reality a certain way and it's not easy to get out of that bullshit. Grats on being good with words to explain that to people. :unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The thing about voting for your material self-interest is that neither Major parties represent anyone's material self-interest. So people vote for culture war bullshit because it's literally the only thing on the ballot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Things that are inarguably true:

1) Joe Biden's brain is declining faster than Trump's.
2) Biden raped Tara Reade
3) The Democratic establishment, including Obama, ratfucked the entire primary in extremely obvious ways to get Biden on the ticket
4) Biden's politics are terrible, barely 5% to the left of Trump
5) Obama built the concentration camps
6) Trump is technically worse, when looking through a magnifying glass because they are so loving close to each other

This is a poo poo show. America is dying. Neither party is going to govern anywhere near competently or humanely enough. The only chance left is to destroy the Democratic party enough that an actual good candidate can win in 2024. It's time to Whig those fuckers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and endowed by the Creator with these inalienable rights: the rights to freedom, justice and the pursuit of happyness.

Off the top of my head so probably wrong in parts, but enough not to be diagnosed with dementia. Like Biden obviously has.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Biden has always been a huge racist, no need to try and reframe his racist comments.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

plogo posted:

Ironically, Bill Clinton actually tacked to the left for a lot of the 1992 primary, despite developing his whole career around being a new democrat, because Pete Tsongas sucked up the centrist air in that primary.

Bill won with a populist message and then backtracked immediately in pwoer. Obama 16 years before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mellow Seas posted:

Biden has made real efforts to at least appear to be moving left on domestic policy,

Citation loving Needed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mellow Seas posted:

“Real efforts to at least appear” is not a high, or adequate, standard, but Biden has met it. His outreach to Bernie and AOC, moving carbon goal to 2035, etc have been clear attempts to appear more palatable to the left. I’m not saying he’s going to actually do any of that poo poo but he’s made it part of his messaging, which he has not even attempted to do on FP.

He didn't do any actual outreach, and his team has been poo poo-talking anyone to the left of Reagan. He has made zero attempts to appeal to the left, and in fact it has been made clear that the Dems want the left crushed and obedient.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If it really is Harris, there should be no question that the Democrats are controlled opposition and are throwing the election.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ershalim posted:

It's not crazy to have Kasich hang out and talk up unity since that's what the squishy middle of the country wants.

Lol.

Edit: The middle does not exist and has not existed for a long time. It's a myth perpretated by the media and lanyards to convicne people that shifting to the right isn't dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

If you are getting this impression from current events then you are purposefully deciding something that completely contradicts current events. I really do not know how you look at Biden v. Trump right now and decide "THE DUMMYCRAPS ARE THROWING THE ELECTION :byodood:"

Well, they sabotaged their own primary in super obvious ways to put Joe Biden as their nominee. Then they told the passionate leftist base to eat poo poo and die, while throwing everything they can to convince the mythical moderate Republican to switch sides.

The only way Joe is any competitive now is because of the Covid crisis.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

<citation needed>

Do you not have eyes to see?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I do. I'm just not going to pretend to see things that aren't there for the sake of manufactured outrage. Bernie lost. Maybe he wouldn't have if COVID-19 hadn't happened, maybe he wouldn't if Klob/Buttigieg/Beto/Harris hadn't simultaneously endorsed Biden right after that killshot in South Carolina--but pretending that this was some sort of "sabotage" sounds a lot like Hillary claiming that Russian interference was the sole cause of her 2016 loss.

Like, the fact remains that Bernie was only going to win if the not-Bernie Democrats remained divided, much like the not-Trumps did in 2016 until it was too late. But they didn't. They united around a candidate, and Bernie's minority of support was not enough to overcome it. Does it suck that he didn't win? Yes. Was it "sabotage"? No.

Denying the ratfuckery going on in the Democratic Primaries is some primo ignoring reality. It's up there with Flat-Earthers.

There's Iowa. There's the rampant voter suppression. There's the weird exit poll discrepancies that only favoured Biden. There were the rules fuckery. There was the killing people to vote for Biden and as soon as Bernie dropped out they started paying attention to Covid. There the Centrist Voltron. There's the Warren stuff. And that's just off the top of my head.

None of this was hidden. This wa sblatant and in your-face. We had weeks of coverage of Democratic establishment saying they were ready to damage the party to defeat Bernie. dn guess what, they did! By nominating Biden they ensured that the Democratic Party will not survive the next few years! They pissed off everyone who isn't a corrupt rear end in a top hat or an ignorant boomer, poisoning the party for generations. They puleld the same bullshit that caused the 68 DNC Riots!

And let's not forget the fact that the party is on record as not having to run fair elections in their Primaries because they're a private corporation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

OK, so we're up to:

1) Democrats are controlled opposition and looking to purposefully throw the election
2) Joe Biden is totally suffering from advanced dementia
3) The Democratic Party purposefully sabotaged Bernie Sanders' campaign and the primaries
4) Barack Obama personally ordered Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar to drop out and endorse Joe Biden

We got anymore baseless claims we wanna throw out there or is that it?

2, 3 and 4 are widely documented as true. 1 is impossible to tell, but would not be any different if it were true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You and I have a very different idea of what "widely documented" means, because when I say it I don't mean "two assholes on Twitter with roses in their profile names".

Yup, you're a Flat Earther.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vote Green, to send a message to the Democrats that the Left can no longer be ignored and/or maybe build a viable third party 2024 run.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Most of us are normal people who just don't want to live under Trump anymore and are willing take our chances under Biden seeing as how that is our only other option. You get two. Joe Biden or Donald Trump. There is no third.

So you're okay with all the horrible poo poo Trump does that is just a continuation of what Obama started, you just want to go back to pretending it's not happening.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not the one inventing Tom Clancy-style fanfiction to explain why Bernie Sanders lost the primaries.

Please explain to me how the long list of facts that happened live are fanfiction.

Oh wait you can't because you're literally denying reality to try and live in a world where the Democratic did not just tell you to eat poo poo and die. Or maybe you're jsut a rich rear end in a top hat who likes the way things worked out. Either way you're clearly a bad faith actor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I don't understand what you're doing here. Are you claiming that I'm lying?

You 1) made the claims, 2) refused to back them up with a single shred of evidence, and now 3) are calling me a mindless sheep because I'm not just taking your word for it.

And don't say "Google is your friend". You made the claims. It's on YOU to back them up. That's how arguing works.

I listed a whole bunch of things that happened live on loving tv and were in the news for weeks. If you fell into a coma during the primary you should probably tell us this instead of claiming merely summarizing what actually happened is somehow fanfiction.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If you actively gave a poo poo about your future you'd vote for the canidates in the GE that won't proceed to cause war with Iran or have his son in law run the country and destroy a testing plan because it would benefit blue states.

Be an activist in primaries and push your canidate, be someone that runs and wins yourself and push your ideals. Vote in the party elections, take control from within.

Don't sit on an internet forum and scream into a void because MY PERFECT CHOICE OF A CANIDATE LOST BECAUSE THE OLDS VOTED I MUST IGNORE EVERYTHING NOW because this is exactly what this thread is. You push aside other opinions to justify your apathy and resentment. And you ignore anyone or attack them that tries to poke holes in your theory that Bernie could have won if only that dastardly Biden hadn't had the black vote. And many of the words spoken in here on the black vote are incredibly racist.

But yes go ahead and call everyone an alt right or a rape supporter because we have the capacity to look at the long term and not the short term must happen now that you keep screaming. Bernie would not be at the level in polls Biden is. Bernie would not be potentially looking at a Dem senate. Biden is not the best canidate, but he is the canidate we have that will most likely beat trump. And that is important.

Oh and keep screaming rapist because it's a broken record at this point with no substance. Hell there isn't any new info on that as is since June.

It's not about apathy and resentment, dumbass, it's about how the Democratic establishment sent a clear message that they would rather die than fix the mess we're in.

YoU,re right about being an activist though: vote Green.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pro-Biden people need to grow up and realize we are not living in a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Trump is not Lex Luthor. Biden is not your friend. By any metric that matters, the 2020 election IS ALREADY LOST. You are going to get completely hosed over on Healthcare, Climate Change and Racial Justice for the next four years no matter who wins. It will be, at best, a 1% difference.

You have to open your eyes one day and realize the situation you're in. You can't just keep gaslighting yourself into believing everything is fine because the president now has a D next to his name.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Both Clinton and Obama had a technocratic bent and placed a premium on competence and expertise. There's no reason at all to think Biden will be different in this respect, whatever you think of him.

See, this is part of the delusion. The "expertise" of the liberals turned out to be completely phony. The Ivy League are a giant grift for and by the wealthy. They all drunk the same Kool-aid and ran the country into the loving ground.

Anyone who plans to vote for Biden needs to read Listen, liberal. It's such a great dissection of the Liberal mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I think these types of posts are not very helpful because a presidency that might result in a 1% difference for you might result in a 50% difference for someone else. At the end of the day it completely depends on how directly and deeply you are affected by the policies of an administration. I know several DACA recipients who will take a very deep sigh of relief if Biden is elected, for example. So it is presumptions to make blanket assertions regarding "overall impact" or some other unmeasurable metric.

These DACA recipient will mtake a deep sigh of relief and then still get thrown into a concentration camp by the Gestapo you dumb rear end in a top hat. THAT'S THE POINT!

BIDEN SET UP THE CAMPS AND TOLD IMMIGRANT RIGHTS ACTIVISTS TO EAT poo poo! ON LIVE TV!

WAKE THE gently caress UP!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't...what? Their expertise turned out to be phony? You don't just graduate from college and become Secretary of the Treasury. Obama's Cabinet had long experience in government. Meanwhile Trump's go to is.. Jared Kushner.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Obama's administration turned out to be one of the most do-nothing in Americna history. Their vaunted expertise and intelligence didn't actually manifest into anything concrete: they kept making dumb and short-sighted decisions and ignoring problems just like previous administrations. They used lot of smart-sounding justifications but their expertise turned out to be... nothing. It's the same reason most economists didn't see 2008 coming and the few of did were laughed at at the time. By believing themselves to be the mos tintelligent person in the room they can convince themselves that things that are obviously untrue are true because all these other smart people also believe it.

I've been looking at finding an article that explains the whole phenomenon better than me. I don know Thomas Frank covers it well enough in Listen, Liberal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Asema posted:

As a thought experiment how many judges and appointees have been put in place over the timeline of Trump's administration?

That Democrats just blankly approved.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LegendaryFrog posted:

More fundamentally, telling someone "you don't care about X group" because they disagree with you is bad form, even leaving aside the thousands of hours I have put in working to make our Country even a little bit more livable for that group. Don't do it.

Nah, I'm still right about this. The Democrats and Republicans have been loving people over in bipartisan fashion for decades, and this includes the immigrant concentration camps. Trying to say Biden will treat immigrants better when it is patently false is a bold-faced lie.

I mean Biden wasn't even willing to say he'd destroy/stop building the wall when asked about it in an interview. This is the guy we're dealing with it here.

Edit: I got angry because I care about this. I care a whole lot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I would also be willing to give a lot more credence to the idea of incremental change if the entire Obama presidency hadn't disproved that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There is hope! I'm not doom posting.

But we need to either destroy the right wing of the Demcoratic party or destroy the Democratic party entirely to have a chance at the real change needed. That's the only way you get good stuff in 2022 and 2024. Yes this means accepting four more years of Trumpo, but we are getting four more years of horrible right wing rapist racist presidency either way.

Or you could have a violent revolution but I'm hoping we can do things without having to do that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd like to congratulate the Democratic Party on managing to lose against Donald Trump again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean Biden is seriously just Blue Trump.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The differences between Trump and Biden ar eminute and mostly aesthetic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GF4Gnb-D0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vote for Howie or Gloria La Riva. It's easy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How about the Democrat use their ressources to support massive worker action to save the post office? It’s something they could do to help.

They won’t because they hate workers, but they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

copy posted:

So this I think is a really important point. There is a lot more that the democratic party in general and democratic legislators in particular can do than just try to pass legislation. They have a huge platform, they have enormous resources, they have lists of names of people who are known to be down to organize stuff. We have people in the streets right now risking life and limb to protest poo poo these folks say they want. Why don't we expect them to show even one tenth the courage of the protesters in the street? Stage a sit in somewhere, lead protests to Republican congresscritters' homes, buy out restaurants out so that there is nowhere in DC that republicans can go to eat lunch until they get off their asses and help unfuck things.

Why do we expect so little of them?

Yeah, that's my point. There's plenty of things they could do aside from just voting on laws, but they won't do it.

Remember when Obama said he'd be on the picket lines?