Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Seems like overnight the US protests have escalated to people shooting at cops and ramming police lines with cars. Also Trump had riot police attack a bunch of protesters so he could go do a photo op at a church. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

How is "other" so high in this report? Assuming people of Chinese/Japanese origin are being grouped under "Asian" (which is always a tricky subject in this country), you've got white, black (which presumably covers African and Caribbean heritages), Asian, and mixed races, I'm struggling to see a fifth category that can account for more deaths.

floofyscorp posted:

Deep in the Appendices there's an explanation that Arabic people go in 'Other' so I imagine that's a large part of it.

Also the 'Other Asian' category almost unbearably broad and includes groups like Pasifika who are extremely vulnerable.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 2, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Lol the loving fish out of water look on that american lady's face. "Oh no someone googled my actual opinions how horribly unfair."

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Seems like they might cut stamp duty at least (not that helps 95% of people)

Honestly I can't think of anything worse to cut, lets inflate the property market a little more while helping people who are able to buy/sell houses at the start of probably the worst recession in history.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

peanut- posted:

I really don't understand this £1,000 to employers for bringing back furloughed employees policy.

It's not possibly enough to make it worth any employer retaining staff they were planning to fire. And it's a bunch of no-strings free government money to other firms that keep staff they would have kept anyway.

Is it just blame shifting? The government has done their bit to keep people employed, and every firm that takes the money can be counted in stats as a job the government has 'saved'?

Helicopter money but not for people or anywhere it would make a difference.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Grayling is such a fuckup though he'll probably end out releasing the report in full.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

kingturnip posted:

So I see that this is still a thing, somehow:

Why does the MoJ even need to review the legislation for something so blatantly awful? And why aren't these sexual predators being fired from their jobs?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wonder if theyr still doing herd immunity, when that was the plan they talked about how as well as locking down when it got too much they'd have to work to infect people with the virus when it was too low in the population and they'd do that by opening schools etc.

I suppose with the idea that you can come out the other side faster and with a competitive advantage compared to like Europe.

Then in natural tory fashion the evil plan doesnt even do the right kind of evil and we're just gonna be dealing with this longer than anyone.

Not sure if that's right, either way the govs actions can't be differentiated from intentionally spreading the virus

It's also an incredibly bad idea because just like SARS there is more and more evidence of long term damage even with people who had relatively mild illnesses. You could come out the other side with 5-10% of your workforce semi-permanently disabled in some fashion.

Honestly it's not really possible to distinguish any more the malice from the incompetence.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I think the spend is something like a third of a million pounds per person traced so far.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

justcola posted:

This was originally posted the middle of June but its the summer thread, weeee

After suspecting I had it in March, and now have a new job in Bradford, I get to share infection anxiety with you. Especially various people I work with complaining a lot about headaches and being unable to concentrate on anything*, I'm concerned I'm in a coronavirus bath.

*I'm a little unsure if the long-lasting mental symptoms of coronavirus are due to coronavirus or just a national malaise after dicking about for 3 months and realising their jobs are pointless, though I'd err on the side of it being a real thing and my brain will turn to soup or some sort of thin paté

Don't panic yet. I'm reading the study now but from an initial skim it doesn't seem to be anything too out of the ordinary/unexpected. Antibodies decline after infection this is normal and while this decline is steeper than expected in some patients (of only 65 studied) the majority exhibited strong responses three months after initial infection.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.09.20148429v1.full.pdf

^^Full text if anyone wants to read it.

[e] There seems to be a suggestion in the study that some people with mild cases had minimal Ab titres after ~60 days which is mildly concerning.

[e2] No evidence at all for antibody dependent enhancement thank loving god.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 13, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/15/police-treated-unfairly-over-incidents-caught-on-video-says-senior-officer

Lol at the Met. Being mildly critiscised and suffering absolutely no consequences for tasering someone unecessarily who then was seriously injured by the fall is 'unfair.'

For reference this is the video in question.

https://twitter.com/Wretch32/status/1270430645584572417?s=20

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 15, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Lol, I told you Grayling was such a fuckup it would end out published.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Stop freaking out about vaccines please you sound like morons.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If people are actually interested in seeing how the process works and what happens in the UK you can just look it up yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/medicines-and-healthcare-products-regulatory-agency/about

There is a lot of history to why medicines are regulated and controlled the way they are so it's a lot more than one person can write up in a pithy post while the thread is moving this fast.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Also it's worth making the point that the Oxford vaccine in particular is a variant of a MERS vaccine which has already had a good amount of testing before Covid showed up all of which raised no cause for concern.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Russia report is out, anything good?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Googling fudge bicycle returned some uh, interesting images.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ahoy UKMT-er's since I got quite a response to my job post last time and we even ended out hiring a fellow goon I thought i'd put this one in here. Looking for someone with a life science/pharma background who has some familiarity with databases for a Scientific analyst role. Details are here. Shoot me a PM with questions or hit me up on the discord.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The Tories and NZ First making GBS threads the bed loudly enough that even the media couldn't ignore it played a big part too. Also parliament is MMP so it won't be the total blowout polls like that would be under FPTP.

Its actually not perfect because labour are okay but the greens are legitimately great and imo a labour gov in coalition with the greens will be a far better government than labour alone.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Looks like a chemical factory of some sort cooking off? Something is on fire then it goes up in a big way.

[e]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53656220

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

The Sci-Fi show The Expanse has a group of people called Belters, who live on the parts of the Solar System outside Earth and Mars. They all have an accent that is part South Afrikan, part Dutch, part Creole and part Kiwi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7HexX3Oxso

In the books the belter dialect is nigh incomprehensible to most people, I kind of wish they'd gone with subtitles and crazy rear end upspin chatter.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh no you said his name, time for the bi-annual visit about how being funded by the state department is good, actually.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I must be getting old but is there some reason why every youtube video has to have the person in it pasted across the thumbnail with a really odd expression on their face. Was there some sort of clickbait study that showed people click more if you're on the cover making a weird expression.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what (if anything) are we to make of the (apparent, because obviously there always has to be a massive disclaimer) situation in the States where despite a massive surge in reported cases hospitalisations and deaths are - while ticking up - aren't tracking with this? There's a lot of graphs running around purple-face Twitter purporting to show this and TBH I'd expect at least once southern city to be showing New York levels of deaths by now, but apparently not.

Of course there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this that I've just missed, but it just doesn't seem to be something being talked about outside the sort of people who think wearing a mask is a crime against humanity on par with the Holocaust.

There's a few things going on at once here.

First is that the early wave had massively massively more cases than tested positive, there just wasnt the capacity to actually test people at the time. If you had actual data of cases you'd have far more infected than what tests showed. Something like a fifth of NY has had it from antibody studies.

Second that treatment of COVID-19 has progressed a lot, far less people who turn up to hospital die than previously.

Thirdly a lot of deaths were from it absolutely tearing through care homes, the second wave is primarily among (relatively) younger people.

The reduced initial viral load is largely supposition. It might be a factor but there is no real proof of it yet. The whole immunized by sunlight attenuated virus is garbage.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

Can someone explain to an American wtf is going on with these exam protests? The gist of it seems to be

- Students in 'cohorts' sit a major exam, levels/GCSE whatever, that then determine which college/university they are eligible for
- This year a computer was used to score/grade the exams, but only for large cohorts, i.e excluding the rich people small schools who still get high marks
- Tons of non-rich people get "lower" exam marks as a result, sets off a firestorm of complaints
- The entire thing was an attempt at a major academic overhaul by the Tories but pretty much poo poo out in such a way that it disproportionately hurts the working class/non-rich cohorts
- Now people are getting "teacher predicted grades" like wtf does that even mean a teacher just says "Hmm, I predict a 8/10 for this person" and the rich school teachers are all told to 'predict' the highest scores possible?
- Higher Learning in the UK are going to have greater then expected enrollment as a result of letting more people in

Is there any more detail I need to understand or does it boil down to :capitalism:

You missed the uniquely UK insanity of the fact that university spots are normally assigned on these imaginary grades. After that there is a period called 'clearing' where after exams are done if you did better or worse you can compete for a small amount of spots in some sort of weird reshuffle.

Im probably not explaining it well because I didn't go through the UK school system and nobody's ever managed to explain it to me in a way that doesn't make it sound totally insane.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, and companies are now charging exit fees to graduates who try to leave their jobs, effectively creating indentured servitude:

https://www.ft.com/content/0164135c-0cfa-4efe-a78b-c2d0e8bdf937

Featuring thread favourite, the Fox of Tsushima himself Jolyon Maugham QC.

Mind quoting for those of us who dont have a FT sub?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Lol I think it's pretty telling that there still hasnt been an actual court case and the companies continually settle and agree to forget about it.

Absolute scum though.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Jedit posted:

Not hundreds; there's only 343 English councils total, and they're talking about 5% of them going to the wall. That said, we pretty much know for a certainty that their "reasonable worst case" is actually the expected scenario, and the actual worst case - which they will bring about through incompetence and intransigence if not outright malice - will be worse.

The real telling point is the admission that 75% of medical supplies come through Dover and include things that can't be stockpiled. I'm thinking that my original assessment of 200-300k dead within 12 months was lowballed.

Unless I misread the article it was 5% are probably going bust because of coivid alone and the no deal will make things much worse.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'd say humiliation but well, Grayling.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Only for bombing poor nations using 80's era Soviet weapons. Also Lockheed can't charge 140 million dollars for a drone.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Soylent Yellow posted:

Most of the ground attack missions taking place in the Middle East could probably be performed perfectly well by 40s era turboprop planes with updated electronics costing a fraction of the price of an F-35. It's never going to happen, because the Daily Mail would throw a hissy fit over us having a 3rd world airforce.

These exist already, there are even armed Cessna variants. Then again these are basically what most drones are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Goldskull posted:

I did the tour of Clapham South shelter with all round train expert John Bull off London Reconnections back in 2016. They said they were going to make it a regular tour but I don't think they ever did, was fascinating. They were hiring it out as dry document storage for years, but all the original bedframes are still there that housed the people sheltering, then US Military and later the Windrush generation that came in temporarily until they were housed in the surrounding area. There's still graffiti from the 40s/50s on the walls.
The TFL guides knew their stuff, there's even the stairs still there up to the Northern Line platforms, albeit blocked with tons of piled up metal railings, and for some reason they don't know which part of the platform it would've come out on, despite I would imagine it being fairly easy to work out.
I have a load of pics I can upload to Imgur if anyone's interested.

TFL has been doing regular guided tours for years now, probably since 2018ish.